What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foo Fighters are the greatest rock and roll band of all time (2 Viewers)

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival
Long Road To Ruin and White Limo down? Their last 2 videos before Rope.
I didn't claim to having seen all of their videos, so yes both of those down. But thanks for bringing them to light for me :)

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival
Long Road To Ruin and White Limo down? Their last 2 videos before Rope.
No problem :banned:

Kinda disappointing that they played two of the weaker songs off the new album on SNL.
Walk is the next single, so it makes sense. I also think its one of the better songs, better than Rope at least. My favorites on the CD are Bridge Burning, Dear Rosemary, Arlandria, These Days, White Limo, and Walk.Go here tonight at 9EST for a live webcast show:http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS. LIVE. SHOW. ROCKS.Hero playing now. Best live band around.
:goodposting:Any word on US tour dates (not including the southern swing early this summer). Are they returning from Europe and starting right up in the States or take a break? I don't know where these guys have the stamina to keep up this pace.

:goodposting:Any word on US tour dates (not including the southern swing early this summer). Are they returning from Europe and starting right up in the States or take a break? I don't know where these guys have the stamina to keep up this pace.
Right now there's over a month gap with no live shows from June thru late July. I'm betting they add a bunch of US dates for a summer leg. No way theyy leave most of us hangin. Lol

For those that want to see the excellent docFOOmentary, Back and Forth, online, here's a link. However, you'll need a megavideo/megaupload membership to see the whole thing at once. i think there's a 77-minute time limit for non-members, then you have to wait 45 minutes to continue . . .

Setlist from The Sullivan theater show

Bridge Burning

Rope

Dear Rosemary

White Limo

Arlandria

These Days

Back And Forth

A Matter of Time

Miss The Misery

I Should Have Known

Walk

----

All my life

Times Like These

Hero

Learn To Fly

Cold Day In The Sun

Big Me

Stacked Actors

Monkey Wrench

Everlong

Best Of You

This Is A Call

I've seen them live a few times. Great band. Tons of energy, spectacular sound, humorous stage banter and a list of great rock songs.

Deadmau5 mix of Rope bonus track is f-ing great... I know it may be a little out there for people who normally dig the FF but give it a chance. Really interesting take on the song.

For anyone who missed the concert from the Ed Sullivan theater last night, you can stream the whole thing (almost 2 hours long) here:http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/foo_fighters/video/They play the whole new CD in order, then a bunch of old stuff. GREAT show. :headbang:ETA: First half of the show is in black and white. lol
Yes. Going to stop and fill my growler on the way home. Drink some beer and watch some Foo. :banned: :thumbup:

'Wooderson said:
'Wingnut said:
For anyone who missed the concert from the Ed Sullivan theater last night, you can stream the whole thing (almost 2 hours long) here:http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/foo_fighters/video/They play the whole new CD in order, then a bunch of old stuff. GREAT show. :headbang:ETA: First half of the show is in black and white. lol
Yes. Going to stop and fill my growler on the way home. Drink some beer and watch some Foo. :banned: :thumbup:
:hifive: :banned: :headbang: :clap: :bow:

Heres a 3 minute video from their Fan Garage tour, in Ontario...the winner got to join in on guitar for My Hero...very cool :thumbup:

Grohl: "Can I drive the tractor??" :lmao:

Watched Back and Forth last night. It was pretty interesting but could have been about a half hour shorter. I like how they decided to record the new album "in Dave's garage" which really meant converting Dave's garage into a million dollar studio. Scream was a long, long time ago.

It's their best since Colour I think but boy "Alandria" is like the quintessential bad Foo Fighters song. Loud-quiet formula, toothless hooks, bad cliches belted out over and over ("Rain rain go away, come again some other day!" "You and what army!"). Please God let me never hear it again.

Whoever said that deadmau5 remix is good needs his ears checked.

2/3 of the disk's pretty rockin' though.

Watched Back and Forth last night. It was pretty interesting but could have been about a half hour shorter. I like how they decided to record the new album "in Dave's garage" which really meant converting Dave's garage into a million dollar studio. Scream was a long, long time ago.

It's their best since Colour I think but boy "Alandria" is like the quintessential bad Foo Fighters song. Loud-quiet formula, toothless hooks, bad cliches belted out over and over ("Rain rain go away, come again some other day!" "You and what army!"). Please God let me never hear it again.
Get outta my head! Alandria might be the worst Foo moment of all time, for my money. It takes away from the album.

They released this covers retrospective called Medium Rare for record store day. What's missing besides "Keep the Car Running"?

A1. Band On The Run

A2. I Feel Free

A3. Life Of Illusion

A4. Young Man Blues (Live At Austin City Limits)

A5. Bad Reputation

A6. Darling Nikki

B1. Down In The Park

B2. Baker Street

B3. Danny Says

B4. Have A Cigar

B5. Never Talking To You Again (Live)

B6. Gas Chamber

B7. This Will Be Our Year

'Dought Man said:
'JZilla said:

Get outta my head! Alandria might be the worst Foo moment of all time, for my money. It takes away from the album.
Big fan of FF. But I siad the same to my wife yesterday. We were listening to it on the road yesterday and that song came on. I just can't take the cheesy lyrics. How could that song make the album. You can't tell me they couldn't have something else that could of taken it's place. Otherwise great album. :thumbup:

'Dought Man said:
'JZilla said:

Top 5 song on the CD, IMO. The only song I could do without is Back and Forth.

'JZilla said:

I dig the song, but I too thought it was pretty lazy lyric writing.

'JZilla said:

I dig the song, but I too thought it was pretty lazy lyric writing.
Actually rain isnt used in the song, but shame and fame are...not that it makes that lyric any better, but its not technically 'rain rain go away', so I can look past it...plus, it matches the structure of 'hush hush settle down, button up dont make a sound' and 'use me up, spit me out, let me be your hand-me-down', so I give them a pass for using it here.

Finally watch the documentary. It was excellent.

As for Wasting Light, I've listened to the album from start to finish about three times now. While the music has all of the elements of a great Foo Fighters album, I just don't know if they've put all the pieces together. I like a handful of the songs, but overall, they seem to lack the hooks of a lot of their prior hits.

'bigbottom said:
Finally watch the documentary. It was excellent.As for Wasting Light, I've listened to the album from start to finish about three times now. While the music has all of the elements of a great Foo Fighters album, I just don't know if they've put all the pieces together. I like a handful of the songs, but overall, they seem to lack the hooks of a lot of their prior hits.
:goodposting:I've now been listening to the CD every day in my car for a couple of weeks. It is very enjoyable, and I like most of the songs. That said, I don't think many of them will get long term airplay like a number of earlier Foo songs. I still like the past two albums (at least) better, but I agree with those who say it is better than most current day music.

Another Foo fighters pack coming to rock band later this month. ( along with Pantera,Ozzy Osbourne,Peter Frampton ect)

I completely understand the idea that people think they're consistently mediocre. I disagree, but that's irrelevant really. IMO, they have consistently put out above average music in an age where music really seems to suck. Again, my opinion. In the 2010 and 2011 best album drafts/threads I've liked about 2% of what's been listed. However, I can always go back to FF. And here's why. They don't take themselves seriously. Dave and the drummer have infinite charisma and are very, very good at what they do. Although at times I really miss Grohl pounding the skins like he did for Nirvana (I thought the best drummer of the early 90s), his effortless semipop really gets me. I've taken flack before in draft threads for an affinity for not liking bands after they get big, with few exceptions, but FF is one of them (along with Modest Mouse). Perhaps there's always going to be an innate free pass given to them because of the importance of Nirvana in music history (again, IMO) for the saved us from NKOB, Debbie Gibson, White Lion, Warrant et al with an antihero band that just plain rocked on one level and had meaningful lyrics on another. I've never seen FF in concert live nor really gotten into any of their albums as a whole after the first one, but I have acquired many of them and especially their live stuff, I really, really enjoy listening to them. The very fact that he emerged from the drug induced downfall of Nirvana to be a truly talented musician is enough for me to give them benefit of the doubt, but their music overcomes the obstacles IMO and I'm very glad for them because when it all comes down to it, they are simply a fun band without ego. And that means something to me, since in my job I regularly come across mediocre talents whose record sales are much higher than their talent level and ego takes over at that point.

I agree, Sweeney. Not too many bands around that are as fun as the Foo Fighters. They are really a down-to-earth bunch of guys who truly have fun and just love to play live and give their fans what they want. I highly recommend seeing them live - Dave is one of the best frontmen you will ever see, and you will never leave one of their shows disappointed

Here's a new link of Dave and the guys covering Cheap Trick's 'Surrender' from a recent fundraiser show.

:thumbup:

I agree, Sweeney. Not too many bands around that are as fun as the Foo Fighters. They are really a down-to-earth bunch of guys who truly have fun and just love to play live and give their fans what they want. I highly recommend seeing them live - Dave is one of the best frontmen you will ever see, and you will never leave one of their shows disappointed Here's a new link of Dave and the guys covering Cheap Trick's 'Surrender' from a recent fundraiser show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQ0ZiQjcbE:thumbup:
I second wingnut's recommendation to see them live. The entire attitude Mad Sweeney describes total comes across in the live show.

I agree, Sweeney. Not too many bands around that are as fun as the Foo Fighters. They are really a down-to-earth bunch of guys who truly have fun and just love to play live and give their fans what they want. I highly recommend seeing them live - Dave is one of the best frontmen you will ever see, and you will never leave one of their shows disappointed Here's a new link of Dave and the guys covering Cheap Trick's 'Surrender' from a recent fundraiser show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQ0ZiQjcbE:thumbup:
They are at the top of my list of bands I want to see but haven't seen yet. I hope they come within range this year.

More live FF from that fundraiser. This was in a small banquet hall May 7th, at the Sportsmans Lodge in Studio City California in order to help raise money for a local nursery school. They not only performed at this function, but also donated VIP tickets to an upcoming show, an autographed guitar, and numerous other Foo Fighter merchandise items. They also sat, ate, drank and partied with the fundraiser attendies.

I think they might have been a little buzzed, this seems like an impromptu performance, and kinda clunky. I dont see Chris or Nate so maybe just Dave, Tyler, and their buddy on keyboards were there? Still, looks like a fun place to be :yes:

Jam:

Can someone explain to me how I would go about getting presale tickets? I am clueless on the whole thing. When I was told rise against was opening for them I was sure somebody was messing with me. I honestly might get tickets for Columbus, Cleveland, and Pgh. Gotta have floor tickets for all of them tho.

Just go to where ticket sales are (ticketbastard) and you'll have to enter the pre-sale password, which reportedly is LIMO. In other words, buy the tickets like you normally would online, but since it is a pre-sale, it will ask for that password.

Users who are viewing this thread