What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys for 2017 - New Stuff / Ask Questions Here (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,  I've been a member for going on 3 years now but apparently not smart enough to take full advantage of all the features of this site.  My bad. I am very interested in MyFBG and Draft Dominator.   Please direct me to the appropriate place to do ask questions about these features..  Thanks.

Noticing some wierd things in the dynasty rankings right now...the following are typical:

For Mike Evans, Jeff Tefertiller writes "Many have Evans rated higher.  I love him for dynasty but worry he will be overdrafted for redraft."  Yet Jeff has him ranked #1.  How can anyone have him higher than 1?  Jeff also calls Antonio Brown his "defacto WR1 in all formats" yet has him ranked below Beckham and Evans.

Jason Wood improbably has Michael Thomas ranked 32nd.  So when I go to see why, his note says:  "Before I ran my first set of 2017 projections, I would never have expected Thomas to rank this high."  Wow...he expects last year's top-10 WR to come in far below 32?  "However his rookie season and the absence of Brandon Cooks all but guarantee a place for Thomas among the fantasy WR1s."  Yet he has him as the 14th WR in his rankings.  [He did have a typo about 2107 projections.  I suppose if that wasn't a typo, I can see why he'd be down on Thomas.  Unlikely he still sees 100 targets at age 114...]

Didn't take long to run into these and others...something wrong in the "translate projections to rankings" algorithm?

Thanks Arodin. Let me ask Jason and Jeff. Something might be off in the comments. 

J

Hi,  I've been a member for going on 3 years now but apparently not smart enough to take full advantage of all the features of this site.  My bad. I am very interested in MyFBG and Draft Dominator.   Please direct me to the appropriate place to do ask questions about these features..  Thanks.

Hi James. It's us not you. MyFBG and Draft Dominator are not yet ready. We'll be shouting about them in the Email Update and here when they are. Thanks.

J

Noticing some wierd things in the dynasty rankings right now...the following are typical:

For Mike Evans, Jeff Tefertiller writes "Many have Evans rated higher.  I love him for dynasty but worry he will be overdrafted for redraft."  Yet Jeff has him ranked #1.  How can anyone have him higher than 1?  Jeff also calls Antonio Brown his "defacto WR1 in all formats" yet has him ranked below Beckham and Evans.

Jason Wood improbably has Michael Thomas ranked 32nd.  So when I go to see why, his note says:  "Before I ran my first set of 2017 projections, I would never have expected Thomas to rank this high."  Wow...he expects last year's top-10 WR to come in far below 32?  "However his rookie season and the absence of Brandon Cooks all but guarantee a place for Thomas among the fantasy WR1s."  Yet he has him as the 14th WR in his rankings.  [He did have a typo about 2107 projections.  I suppose if that wasn't a typo, I can see why he'd be down on Thomas.  Unlikely he still sees 100 targets at age 114...]

Didn't take long to run into these and others...something wrong in the "translate projections to rankings" algorithm?
Hey there, not sure what you're seeing as I have Thomas WR8 and 12th overall.

Thanked you for the feedback. I added the word "redraft" to the sentence.  I love Brown in redraft leagues. In dynasty, I have him lower just due to age.  Fell free to email or message me if you see anything else.  I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention

Arodin said:
No, it's not your end. We had some comments that were showing up across all the formats. And as always, we'll continue to tweak the rankings. It's why it's great to start in early May and continue to polish. Thanks. 

J

Sorry to keep harping on the dynasty rankings but we've still got comments that just don't jibe with the rankings.  Case in point, Russell Wilson.

The comments:

"...everyone still ranks him as a highend QB1 in redraft.  I do not agree."
"...the Seahawks made moves to improve the offensive line, but not convincing ones.  The preseason will tell the tale..."
"...he will turn 29 this year and the days of him running for 800 yards a season are likely to be over.  This limits his fantasy upside considerably coming up over the next few years."

Doesn't really sound to me like a player that the authors of those comments rank as the 4th, 3rd and 4th best dynasty QB, respectively.

Apparently he isn't a highend QB1 in redraft, but somehow still is a top-4 QB in dynasty? 
He's older, his rushing is declining, and his upside is...capped at 4th best overall?  I'll take that... 

Just isn't adding up.

Sorry to keep harping on the dynasty rankings but we've still got comments that just don't jibe with the rankings.  Case in point, Russell Wilson.

The comments:

"...everyone still ranks him as a highend QB1 in redraft.  I do not agree."
"...the Seahawks made moves to improve the offensive line, but not convincing ones.  The preseason will tell the tale..."
"...he will turn 29 this year and the days of him running for 800 yards a season are likely to be over.  This limits his fantasy upside considerably coming up over the next few years."

Doesn't really sound to me like a player that the authors of those comments rank as the 4th, 3rd and 4th best dynasty QB, respectively.

Apparently he isn't a highend QB1 in redraft, but somehow still is a top-4 QB in dynasty? 
He's older, his rushing is declining, and his upside is...capped at 4th best overall?  I'll take that... 

Just isn't adding up.
No need to apologize. These are things we need to polish on our end to make sure we're consistent. Different opinions are always going to be the case. That's part of fantasy football for people to disagree with where we have a player ranked. But that's very different from a comment that doesn't match it's own rankings. That's on us to be consistent. Thanks for pointing out as it helps make us better. We'll continue to polish. Thanks.

J

Hi Folks,

I know several folks had questions about what we're doing for Footballguys for 2017. Let me start this thread new to try and consolidate the questions here. We'll do our best to answer but also please understand in March there are always things still being decided and there are things that aren't concrete yet.

If you've got a question, please ask it here. But let's keep it to real questions. It the main goal is to say you think FBG sucks now, or always has, save yourself time. But if you've got a legit question about FBG, ask it here and we'll do our best. If we don't know, we'll say we don't know.

Thanks.

J
Think it would be possible to get some average auction values listed along with the consensus ADPs? I know I consult those ADPs frequently for snake leagues, but have been shifting over to auctions and would really appreciate some AAVs.

Is there a place I can find true week to week idp projections ? Kinda new to the idp d how to value each player ...thanks
John Norton does weekly projections in season, but I don't know that anyone has gone to the effort of projecting production in specific weeks from this far out.

Not even sure how that could be done with enough reliability to be worth the effort, before we even get to training camp.

If you are just looking at relative values, the site (and others) do have idp rankings up, but your league's scoring system and lineup requirements have a huge impact on the actual values of idps, even within the same position.  See if yiur league hosting site will show you previous year's fantasy stats, possibly even week by week, and you can get a feel for how many ppg to expect based on that.

Think it would be possible to get some average auction values listed along with the consensus ADPs? I know I consult those ADPs frequently for snake leagues, but have been shifting over to auctions and would really appreciate some AAVs.
Yes, the auction values will be part of the 5,000 cheatsheets coming soon. Hang tight. 

J

tobynelson34 said:
Is there a place I can find true week to week idp projections ? Kinda new to the idp d how to value each player ...thanks
The Draft Dominator, when released, is able to split out projections into weekly values for all players, for the whole season. The Dominator's CSV export feature will also export these into Excel for you. It's computationally a huge exercise, as we need to take full season projections, and pass them through team/positional strength of schedule matrices, and then individual player matrices (e.g. for suspensions or rookies coming on as the year progresses), to get the final numbers, so it's more an app thing than a website feature. But it is coming!

Is there a way to just use the old version of player values where you select your league and then it shows FAs in blue, your team in yellow, etc?

We don't have ADP for rookies. For those guys, we feel best about our rankings. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/viewrankings.php?viewpos=ov&type=rookie

Thanks.

J
I agree rankings are more important, especially when your guys put notes (or have articles) explaining their decisions, but the use of a rookie ADP comes into play when trading. The simplest example would be if I were to look at the FBG rankings and they've got player X ranked #4 and I really want him, but if the rookie ADP has him going #7 then you realize you (likely) don't actually have to trade up (or down) to #4 to obtain that player. If the 1.04 guy is playing hard ball, you'll probably be safe with 1.05 or 1.06.

I agree rankings are more important, especially when your guys put notes (or have articles) explaining their decisions, but the use of a rookie ADP comes into play when trading. The simplest example would be if I were to look at the FBG rankings and they've got player X ranked #4 and I really want him, but if the rookie ADP has him going #7 then you realize you (likely) don't actually have to trade up (or down) to #4 to obtain that player. If the 1.04 guy is playing hard ball, you'll probably be safe with 1.05 or 1.06.
I agree completely...i use ADPs a lot when coming up with trade values. It also seems like it should be pretty easy data to compile which is why i originally asked about it. I am surprised that it is not a basic feature.

I'm late to this thread so apologies if this has been covered. I saw similar stuff covered earlier in the thread, but not this specifically.

Is there any reason to believe rest-of-season rankings (including IDP) will go up earlier this year? They often went up late Tuesday night last season, often too late for me (early bed time for me if you consider 10 p.m. ET early) and very often IDPs weren't even added until next day - after waivers had already processed. It was especially bad late in the season. 

I don't want to subscribe again this season if it will be more of the same. I rely on those rest-of-season IDP rankings. 

I'm late to this thread so apologies if this has been covered. I saw similar stuff covered earlier in the thread, but not this specifically.

Is there any reason to believe rest-of-season rankings (including IDP) will go up earlier this year? They often went up late Tuesday night last season, often too late for me (early bed time for me if you consider 10 p.m. ET early) and very often IDPs weren't even added until next day - after waivers had already processed. It was especially bad late in the season. 

I don't want to subscribe again this season if it will be more of the same. I rely on those rest-of-season IDP rankings. 
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=16guru_Wk5

[SIZE=18pt]Oakland Raiders[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Last week I talked about Cory James replacing Ben Heeney at middle linebacker. I made the mistake of tweeting the news before waivers ran in my own leagues. It's a safe bet that will not happen again (thank you Matt Montgomery and others). [/SIZE]

I wouldn't hold my breath.

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=16guru_Wk5

[SIZE=18pt]Oakland Raiders[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Last week I talked about Cory James replacing Ben Heeney at middle linebacker. I made the mistake of tweeting the news before waivers ran in my own leagues. It's a safe bet that will not happen again (thank you Matt Montgomery and others). [/SIZE]

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Ok, that's twitter, but if you're selling your services to subscribers, that attitude is unacceptable.  

Ok, that's twitter, but if you're selling your services to subscribers, that attitude is unacceptable.  
If the mindset is there, the mindset is there.  The damage is already done in my eyes, the trust has been broken.  If they're gonna hold back on twitter, where else are they?  Did they have a nugget last week but held it back until they snapped him up?  Did the article get posted on Thursday because waivers hadn't passed yet?  What drafts have to clear until we get the real rankings?

I don't really care about Twitter as long as they give paying subscribers rest-of-season rankings before waivers process. That hasn't been the case in recent years, which is why I'm thinking I probably won't be a paying subscriber this year. But I want to be. I want those rankings and will happily pay up if I can trust that they will actually get done on time. 

Thanks. I can't promise they'll go up earlier than our normal schedule of Tuesday like they did last season. It's a tough balance. We could throw up something Monday morning. That would be worthless for accuracy. We could put up something Saturday night that would be awesome for accuracy but worthless for usefulness. The timing of what we've done in the past is where we've landed as our best balance. I know that's not the answer everyone wants. But it's what we're able to do here.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I can't promise they'll go up earlier than our normal schedule of Tuesday like they did last season. It's a tough balance. We could throw up something Monday morning. That would be worthless for accuracy. We could put up something Saturday night that would be awesome for accuracy but worthless for usefulness. The timing of what we've done in the past is where we've landed as our best balance. I know that's not the answer everyone wants. But it's what we're able to do here.

J
I want to clarify that I'm not asking for a change to the Tuesday night schedule. That part is fine.

My issue is that IDP rest-of-season rankings were frequently not done at all on Tuesday night. They regularly went up the next day, after waivers had already processed. That is a problem.

Thanks. We'll take a look for later on seeing if rookie ADP is something we can add.

J

Agreed. That won't happen again. Twitter is different than FBG. But that doesn't matter. Our focus is on giving our readers the best info we can. 

J

Gentlemen,

This has been taken way out of perspective. I NEVER hold back anything when it comes to my FBG work. When my column comes out you will always know what I know. When I do projections for the week you will know what I expect etc. 

That particular week I went ahead and tweeted the Raiders LB news in an effort to give my followers a heads up because it happened so early in the week. It was also covered in my column and reflected in my projections so our non-Twitter subscribers would get the information ASAP.

The tweet about it not happening again was simply a jab at the guys I play leagues with, who never hide the fact they are using my own work against me. In fact I had not intended that tweet to go out to everyone and until now had not realized it did. Like all of you, I play Fantasy Football for fun and some of my leagues are with lifelong friends. Just like you all, we do a little trash talking and bear poking. That is all this was intended to be. My apologies if this was somehow seen as my intending to "withhold" information from customers in the future. 

While it is my personal twitter account and is not always related to FBG, I do realize the two are intertwined in the eyes of followers and subscribers. As Joe said, I too can assure it won't happen again. I will say that situations like this are why I am not a big fan of social media and are exactly the reason I choose not to be more active there.

Best Wishes

Thanks. We'll take a look for later on seeing if rookie ADP is something we can add.

J
Thanks for the response (and your general high activity in this thread). I was just illustrating the point, though. I don't consider it a very high priority. It would be nice if FBG was a one stop shop for all of those types of needs, but rookie ADP can be found elsewhere. So don't let it derail you guys from your AAV feature  ;)

Late to the party, and admitting that I haven't backread this thread.

Are we using the old platform for everything this year, or is there something new?

If new, is it brand new or similar to last year's failure?

Will the mobile website look be similar to the desktop website look?

Is the look of the app totally different from mobile/desktop websites? Do we have to pay extra for the app?

Late to the party, and admitting that I haven't backread this thread.

Are we using the old platform for everything this year, or is there something new?

If new, is it brand new or similar to last year's failure?

Will the mobile website look be similar to the desktop website look?

Is the look of the app totally different from mobile/desktop websites? Do we have to pay extra for the app?
Hi Houston,

There's been a lot of good interaction in this thread - probably worth the read if you have a minute.

The platform for MyFBG is brand new but will hopefully feel more like what we did in 2015 where it worked well. 

The mobile site will be basically the same as in years past.

We will have essentially 3 tools for drafting.

1. Draft Dominator Classic. It's available to subscribers who purchase the Insider PRO or PRO Plus. This is the downloadable draft software we've had for many years and this program will not have new features added. It will be the same program we've had for a while. 

2. Draft Dominator Mobile App. As it's been every year, this is not part of the Insider PRO or PRO Plus subscription. It's available for separate purchase on the iTunes and Google Play store as it has been for several years.

3. Draft Dominator Desktop. It's available to subscribers who purchase the Insider PRO or PRO Plus. This is going to look and feel like the Draft Dominator Mobile App but it will be available for desktop and laptops. 

J

Thanks for reply. 

Is there a free app to use throughout the season, separate from draft dominator? Or is the mobile site the only/best option for mobile use?

houston said:
Thanks for reply. 

Is there a free app to use throughout the season, separate from draft dominator? Or is the mobile site the only/best option for mobile use?
The mobile site is the best through the season.

J

Whew.  Was wondring if I would have to run windows on something.  I haven't operated any windows based machines in 20 years.  LOLs

Hey Guys,

Quick note - we're looking to add some Beta Testers for the Draft Dominator Mobile App. If you're interested, please understand it's not just a "sneak peek" at the app. If you're interested in getting the app early and testing it out and giving feedback, you can sign up here. https://goo.gl/forms/hmzJvZXZmoavlKjC3   We'll be doing all our testing and feedback on a subreddit we've set up specifically for testing. There isn't compensation beyond getting the app for free.

Thanks.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread