What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gay marriage (2 Viewers)

Are you for or against?

• For

Votes: 291 80.2%
  • Against

Votes: 72 19.8%

• Total voters
You don't think denying responsible adults the right to label their relationships as they see fit is government intervention?
No - they are trying to get the government to change a very strict definition to mean more than it does presently. I don't see how that reduces government intervention. The government's only interest should be in the civil part of the contract. Not the spiritual/religous/sexual part. I will argue that the government has to have a consistent definition - that definition is civil union. Marriage treads into religious territory. Don't you believe in separation of church and state?

If she is BI, (Which she isn't) it would be because she Chooses to be Bi.
You are 100% wrong.
Seriously, please explain? Are you saying that we can be wired to be both gay and straight and it's not a choice that we act on? Would that apply to people attractted to kids or animals? Is that a wiring issue or a choice? Why are some things defined as deviant behavoir and others are genetically encode?
Yes, I'm saying that is entirely possible to be attracted to both males and females. It's not an on/off switch. It's probably hormone levels or chemical balances or something. I'm sure it's also possible to be attracted to kids and animals, but there are completely separate reasons why that's frowned upon. Same-sex attraction is consensual and between adults.If you find yourself attracted to kids or animals, then yes, you have to supress those urges for good reasons that don't require ancient texts. There's no good reason outside of archaic superstition to ask two consenting adults of any gender to suppress those same urges, and there's also no good reason to not treat them equally under the law.
So what happened with Ellen Degenerous? First she was gay, then she wasn't? What was with that?

I would venture to bet that many "reasonable" people have the same qualms I have about whether or not it is a lifestyle choice.
No they don't.
My "feeling" that it is not a genetic predisposition is no less valid than your "feeling that it is not...barring any proof to the contrary.
Who said anything about a genetic predisposition?I'm saying that it's not a choice. And it's not. Ask MacArtist. Or just look into your own soul. Could you choose to be sexually attracted to Michael Moore instead of Sarah Michelle Gellar?
I can't fathom anyone being sexually attracted to Michael Moore.

Also, I understand that that no matter what, people aren't always going to agree with me. And that's ok. Because I'm not always going to agree with them. I think the main thing is that I respect their opinions regardless of whether or not I THINK they are wrong.I think most of my posts do illustrate that.Edited add: At least I hope so.
I think I'm beginning to warm up to you MacArtist - purely platonic of course!

Also, I understand that that no matter what, people aren't always going to agree with me. And that's ok. Because I'm not always going to agree with them. I think the main thing is that I respect their opinions regardless of whether or not I THINK they are wrong.I think most of my posts do illustrate that.Edited add: At least I hope so.
I think I'm beginning to warm up to you MacArtist - purely platonic of course!
Thank you.You will find I'm quite logical for the most part despite holding down a creative job for a living.Please ask anyone where I stand on illegal immigration. I get ragged on - but that's more than ok. Bring it on, I say. Do a search. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Not to hijack, but you and I agree there too!

Marriage treads into religious territory.
For some people.For some people, dietary habits tread into religious territory. That doesn't make doing lunch an inherently religious activity.I don't see how the state can get completely out of the marriage business. It's up to the state to enforce marriage contracts, to award child support and spousal support in the case of divorce, etc. There's nothing wrong with having the state do this stuff; what's wrong is having the state force people to discriminate against prospective marital partners based on sex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would venture to bet that many "reasonable" people have the same qualms I have about whether or not it is a lifestyle choice.
No they don't.
My "feeling" that it is not a genetic predisposition is no less valid than your "feeling that it is not...barring any proof to the contrary.
Who said anything about a genetic predisposition?I'm saying that it's not a choice. And it's not. Ask MacArtist. Or just look into your own soul. Could you choose to be sexually attracted to Michael Moore instead of Sarah Michelle Gellar?
I am sure reasonable people can and have come to the conclusion that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Hell, I have thought it was and thought it wasn't in the many discussions I've had with people on both sides of the issue. Your saying that reasonable people can't come to that conclusion is either a joke or the height of pomposity.As for Michael Moore, I doubt mnay women or men would find this uber-egomaniac physically attractive. However, I wouldn't say a reasonable person couldn't because they may have a different set of values in determining what attractive is.

No they don't.
Like he said, ask me any questions.I'd happy to provide my own experiences & viewpoints. While I'm aware it may not sway any "beliefs", I have no problem submitting my own personal experience.You have seen from my posts that I don't attack those that see differently from me.So ask away.
Mac, I don't have anything against you or other homosexuals. To each his/her own. How is gay marriage any less forcing a set of morality on the majority than banning gay marriage forcing a set of morality on the majority?Even from a religious perspective, homosexuality does not concern me. I view one's religion as being between a person and God. If I did something that I thought would displease my God it would be one thing, but if someone else does it that is between them and God (or their God...however you want to look at it).Me being against gay marriage has nothing to do with homophobia. I associate with numerous gay people at work, at the gym, etc. Their sexuality doesn't enter the equation just as sexuality doesn't enter the equation when I am around females other than my wife. As I have said from the beginning....eliminate civil marriage all together. Make it all be civil union and get the government out of what many feel is a sacred institution. To me this is almost an intrusion of government on religious freedoms. I GUARANTEE that when gay marriage is legalized, their will be lawsuits brought by activists that will attempt to force various denominations to perform or recognize gay marriage. This will be enforced by not allowing these congregations tax exempt status.

I'm facing a similar problem but in different ways. Two of guy my guy friends claim that they are head-over-heels in love with me. Both would make awesome husbands- but not to me. But I'm not attracted to them in any way, shape, or form although they each have girls throwing themselves at them.It's tough to tell them "There is no way in hell it would ever happen" - and thatr's something I have to tell them constantly. I hate it. Why can't they just say to themselves, "it ain't gonna happen' and move on? :wall:
I think most of us were once one of those two guys in one way or another in the sense we pursued an impossible relationship. But for me I'm old enough to have long ago learned that you don't toss away "love" (mutually caring for one another so much that using the word care doesn't cut it) for "lust" or unreciprocated "In Love" feelings. Some parts of me might "want" more from my friends from time to time, but after what we've been through together the past couple of years - as friends - I "need" the friendship. They are my friends and I need to be there for them. I just wish I didn't need to be there when the loving family tries to save them, or worst rejects them. I just wish I didn't need to be there when some idiot screams hate at them out their car window. I just wish I didn't have to be there when they are forced to jump through hoops that a married couple doesn't need to face.

I am sure reasonable people can and have come to the conclusion that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.
No, they can't.
As for Michael Moore, I doubt mnay women or men would find this uber-egomaniac physically attractive.
But it's a choice, right? You could be sexually attracted to Michael Moore if you wanted to be, couldn't you? This would prove your position to be correct, and mine to be incorrect. Surely, that'd be worth it.Actually, this is a really good idea. As long as sexual attraction is a choice, I think I'll just choose to be sexually attracted to really ugly people from now on. I'll face less competition, and ugly people are probably nicer anyway.

Did you see the movie Shallow Hal? The one where Jack Black's character was hypnotized into being attracted to ugly women? He was happier that way. Why don't we all do that? We don't even need hypnosis, since sexual attraction is merely a matter of choice. So why are we all so stupid that we remain sexually attracted to pretty girls instead of ugly ones? Bad choices, that's why.

Unless maybe . . . perhaps . . . we don't get to choose whom we're sexually attracted to? Nah, that can't be right. It's definitely a choice! A reasonable person could certainly think so, anyway. As long as he's willing to disregard every scintilla of evidence available.

Mac, I don't have anything against you or other homosexuals.
Except that you are calling them all liars. MacArtist and every other gay (and straight) person you ask will tell you that they didn't get to choose whom they're attracted to. The only way to think that sexual orientation is a choice is to think that every single one of them is lying.

I'm with Maurile on this. With as much discrimination and such that gay people encounter if sexual preference was a choice, wouldn't they all decide to be hetro to make their lives easier?

"Hey I think I will choose to be a gay man. That way I can be harassed and assaulted by people and maybe my family will disowned me. I think it would be fun to make life harder than it already is." :rolleyes:

Edited to add - hopefully none of these things happen or have happened to Mac or any others, but I know these kind of things do occur.

I'm with Maurile on this. With as much discrimination and such that gay people encounter if sexual preference was a choice, wouldn't they all decide to be hetro to make their lives easier?

"Hey I think I will choose to be a gay man. That way I can be harassed and assaulted by people and maybe my family will disowned me. I think it would be fun to make life harder than it already is." :rolleyes:

Edited to add - hopefully none of these things happen or have happened to Mac or any others, but I know these kind of things do occur.
That's the same logic as saying the lives of criminals would be so much easier if they chose not to be criminals. Why would anybody choose a life that ends up putting them in jail. Yet many people choose that life.

That's the same logic as saying the lives of criminals would be so much easier if they chose not to be criminals. Why would anybody choose a life that ends up putting them in jail. Yet many people choose that life.
The Criminals were BORN that way. :mellow: :excited:

"Hey I think I will choose to be a gay man. That way I can be harassed and assaulted by people and maybe my family will disowned me. I think it would be fun to make life harder than it already is."  :rolleyes:

Great. Then why subject them to the injustice of incarceration. Shouldn't they have the same rights as the rest of us?

"Hey I think I will choose to be a gay man. That way I can be harassed and assaulted by people and maybe my family will disowned me. I think it would be fun to make life harder than it already is."  :rolleyes:

Great. Then why subject them to the injustice of incarceration. Shouldn't they have the same rights as the rest of us?
You really need to stop talking. These arguments are ignorant. You're equating criminals with homosexuals? You're foul.

You really need to stop talking. These arguments are ignorant. You're equating criminals with homosexuals? You're foul.
*shakes head*he isn't saying that a homosexual is the same as a criminal... Everyone here, I'm sure, can agree that being gay is not the same as being a criminal (well, maybe a speeder }=OP )

he's saying that being a criminal is something that, if you thought about it, you woulnd't EVER choose to be...

but yet, people do choose to be it...

So the "why would you choose to do this?" argument doesn't work, 'cuz people do choose to do some STUPID things...

I am sure reasonable people can and have come to the conclusion that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice.
No, they can't.
As for Michael Moore, I doubt mnay women or men would find this uber-egomaniac physically attractive.
But it's a choice, right? You could be sexually attracted to Michael Moore if you wanted to be, couldn't you? This would prove your position to be correct, and mine to be incorrect. Surely, that'd be worth it.Actually, this is a really good idea. As long as sexual attraction is a choice, I think I'll just choose to be sexually attracted to really ugly people from now on. I'll face less competition, and ugly people are probably nicer anyway.

Did you see the movie Shallow Hal? The one where Jack Black's character was hypnotized into being attracted to ugly women? He was happier that way. Why don't we all do that? We don't even need hypnosis, since sexual attraction is merely a matter of choice. So why are we all so stupid that we remain sexually attracted to pretty girls instead of ugly ones? Bad choices, that's why.

Unless maybe . . . perhaps . . . we don't get to choose whom we're sexually attracted to? Nah, that can't be right. It's definitely a choice! A reasonable person could certainly think so, anyway. As long as he's willing to disregard every scintilla of evidence available.
So MT, if I agree that homosexuality is 100% wiring, why are we so hard on those wired towards kids or animals. Path made an excellent point about consent being a difference, but let's not drop it there. Regardless, what can we do for these folks or are they just doomed to a life where they can't fullfill their genetic needs. Homosexuality has historically been defined as a deviant behavior. That definition is significantly changing as time moves on. We still define those with an interest in kids and animals as deviants. Doesn't seem fair if they are wired to that attraction. Shouldn't we deal with them less harshly and be seeking a solution that doesn't limit them while maintaining the importance of the consest aspect? Maybe that's not possible and they're just screwed.The point of this isn't to equate homosexuality to child molesters, it's to further explore this theory that sexual orientation is 100% wiring.

he's saying that being a criminal is something that, if you thought about it, you woulnd't EVER choose to be...
Sure you would. Many people do. The reason is because there's something to be gained from criminal activity. Many people get extremely rich through criminal activity. All they have to do is not get caught. It's a risk/reward decision.

So MT, if I agree that homosexuality is 100% wiring, why are we so hard on those wired towards kids or animals. Path made an excellent point about consent being a difference, but let's not drop it there. Regardless, what can we do for these folks or are they just doomed to a life where they can't fullfill their genetic needs. Homosexuality has historically been defined as a deviant behavior. That definition is significantly changing as time moves on. We still define those with an interest in kids and animals as deviants. Doesn't seem fair if they are wired to that attraction. Shouldn't we deal with them less harshly and be seeking a solution that doesn't limit them while maintaining the importance of the consest aspect? Maybe that's not possible and they're just screwed.The point of this isn't to equate homosexuality to child molesters, it's to further explore this theory that sexual orientation is 100% wiring.
We don't do anything to people who are attracted to kids or animals. There's nothing illegal about being attracted to kids or animals. And we don't punish people for being attracted to kids or animals. We punish them if they actually molest kids or animals, and the reason we do that has nothing to do with the attraction, it's because society has deemed kids and animals unable to give consent to the act, and it's therefore abuse. There's no such situation in homosexual sex because all parties are deemed able to consent to the act.These arguments are terrible. It is so clear that the only reasons for being opposed to gay marriage are religion and personal ookiness, NEITHER of which is grounds to restrict it by law.

I would like to see a separation between the religous contract called marriage and the civil contract as honored by the government.I am all for gay couples having equal civil rights. Marriage as a religous contract is not a civil right.
Yes that and the purpose of marriage is to provide a strong foundation to raise children. Its not about what the two of them want. If you don't understand that, you shouldn't be getting married.

Sure you would. Many people do. The reason is because there's something to be gained from criminal activity. Many people get extremely rich through criminal activity. All they have to do is not get caught. It's a risk/reward decision.
true... (I agree with your piont about criminals... I was just saying what CrossEyed was saying before)...but here's the thing:homosexuals get sexual stimulation/satisfaction...that's what they get out of it... in thier head they can't see themselves with someone of the opposite sex... They see themselves with someone of the same sex...That is what they get, the don't get nothing at all....

but here's the thing:homosexuals get sexual stimulation/satisfaction...that's what they get out of it... in thier head they can't see themselves with someone of the opposite sex... They see themselves with someone of the same sex...That is what they get, the don't get nothing at all....
Isn't this the same with heterosexuals? They can't see themselves with someone of the same sex. They also get sexual stimulation and satisfaction through sex. One thing you leave out is that homosexuals have romantic loving feelings for people of the same sex, that is something they get out of it. Just like heterosexuals do with their partners. For all the people who use religion as their case to discriminate against homosexuals, did the bible not teach you anything about acceptance? It sure doesn't seem that way.

Isn't this the same with heterosexuals? They can't see themselves with someone of the same sex. They also get sexual stimulation and satisfaction through sex. One thing you leave out is that homosexuals have romantic loving feelings for people of the same sex, that is something they get out of it. Just like heterosexuals do with their partners. For all the people who use religion as their case to discriminate against homosexuals, did the bible not teach you anything about acceptance? It sure doesn't seem that way.
Yes, but the issue here isn't if they get the same feelings, its if it is natural/right to have those feelings...and having them just be there doesn't make something ok...I don't care if your gay, really, but don't expect me to tell you that its ok, 'cuz I don't think it is... But you can live your own life, I'm not gonna follow someone around and go "STOP BEING GAY!! STOP BEING GAY!!" or something...and the Bible teaches us to love all people, not telling htem they are doing good no matter what...

I would like to see a separation between the religous contract called marriage and the civil contract as honored by the government.I am all for gay couples having equal civil rights. Marriage as a religous contract is not a civil right.
Yes that and the purpose of marriage is to provide a strong foundation to raise children. Its not about what the two of them want. If you don't understand that, you shouldn't be getting married.
Show a statistic where children raised by 2 homosexual parents lack that foundation.Page 12
Many of us grew up believing that everyone needs a mother and father, regardlessof whether we ourselves happened to have two parents, or two good parents.But as families have grown more diverse in recent decades, and researchers havestudied how these different family relationships affect children, it has become clearthat the quality of a family’s relationship is more important than the particular structure of families that exist today. In other words, the qualities that help children grow into good and responsible adults — learning how to learn, to have compassion for others, to contribute to society and be respectful of others and their differences — do not depend on the sexual orientation of their parents but on their parents’ ability to provide a loving, stable and happy home, something no class of Americans has an exclusive hold on.That is why research studies have consistently shown that children raised by gayand lesbian parents do just as well on all conventional measures of child development, such as academic achievement, psychological well-being and social abilities, as children raised by heterosexual parents.That is also why the nation’s leading child welfare organizations, including theAmerican Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Physicians andothers, have issued statements that dismiss assertions that only heterosexual couples can be good parents — and declare that the focus should now be on providing greater protections for the 1 million to 9 million children being raised by gay and lesbian parents in the United States today.

this saddens me. How any overtly religous man who can be as articulate as you can hold tyhe hateful position you do saddens me. You should be ashamed of yourself. :no:

Why do people care if it is a choice? If you had proof eitehr way would it ####### matter. I thought we were allowed to make choices in amercia re: how we live our lives. This theocratic bull#### is gettingtoo much. yet another reason that this election amters so much, and it pisses me off hat we have a ##### like kerry, instead of a really solid candidate.

Yes, but the issue here isn't if they get the same feelings, its if it is natural/right to have those feelings...and having them just be there doesn't make something ok...I don't care if your gay, really, but don't expect me to tell you that its ok, 'cuz I don't think it is... But you can live your own life, I'm not gonna follow someone around and go "STOP BEING GAY!! STOP BEING GAY!!" or something...and the Bible teaches us to love all people, not telling htem they are doing good no matter what...
I am not gay, but I have several friends who are and I support them 100%. Each one will tell you they did not choose to be that way, and it is their natural right to be true to themselves and be allowed to express their feelings. I don't believe you practice your statement about the Bible teaches us to love all people. You and I both know you do not love homosexuals, nor will you ever. People such as yourself really turn me off to the Bible, because you use it to discriminate. You can continue to wave the bible and relay your message of discrimination and hate...I'll wave the rainbow flag and relay the message of equality and love...I don't think God will mind.

ummm... i don'y usually hear this in the wedding vows. I thought it was two people choosing to stay together. If they choose to have kids. That you make policy for me and others based on your own personal reasons for getting married is annoying.

That's the same logic as saying the lives of criminals would be so much easier if they chose not to be criminals.
You think the lives of millionaire drug-dealers would be easier if they worked minimum-wage jobs at 7-11 instead?

So MT, if I agree that homosexuality is 100% wiring, why are we so hard on those wired towards kids or animals.
To the extent that they molest kids, it's because molesting kids violates kids' rights. (Leave animals out of it for now because it's unclear to what extent animals ought to have rights.)
Path made an excellent point about consent being a difference, but let's not drop it there.  Regardless, what can we do for these folks or are they just doomed to a life where they can't fullfill their genetic needs.
Pedophiles are doomed to a life where they can't fulfill their genetic wants. They're not the only ones, of course. I want to have sex with Britney Spears. Doing it without her consent, though, would violate her rights, and thus I am most likely doomed to having that want go unfulfilled.
Homosexuality has historically been defined as a deviant behavior.  That definition is significantly changing as time moves on.  We still define those with an interest in kids and animals as deviants.  Doesn't seem fair if they are wired to that attraction.
Of course it's fair to punish child-molestors. It's also fair to punish rapists.

I am sorry but in my opinion they chose to be gay.
This is fascinating. Did they also choose their natural eye color? (I'm not saying that straights choose their eye color. They're probably telling the truth if they say they were born that way. But I'm not so sure we should trust gays to answer truthfully. If they're lying about not having chosen their sexual preference, they're probably also lying about not having chosen their eye color. N'est-ce pas?)

Each one will tell you they did not chose to be that way
so basically they naturally became gay since they didn't choose to be gay. I am sorry but in my opinion they chose to be gay.
Did you choose to be straight? I certainly didn't.
by choice I mean they decided to pursue their gay tendecies,they are experiencing rather than try and return to what is natural for our species...this is a choice they made.

Each one will tell you they did not chose to be that way
so basically they naturally became gay since they didn't choose to be gay. I am sorry but in my opinion they chose to be gay.
Unless you are gay, you are not in a position to determine whether or not it is choice.Since I did not choose to be straight, I assume the same holds true for gay people.

I am not gay, but I have several friends who are and I support them 100%. Each one will tell you they did not chose to be that way, and it is their natural right to be true to themselves and be allowed to express their feelings. I don't believe you practice your statement about the Bible teaches us to love all people. You and I both know you do not love homosexuals, nor will you ever. People such as yourself really turn me off to the Bible, because you use it to discriminate. You can continue to wave the bible and relay your message of discrimination and hate...I'll wave the rainbow flag and relay the message of equality and love...I don't think God will mind.
wait, you know I don't love gay people...you realize I have more gay friends than straight ones, right?and I am serious with that...I don't hate people... but marriage is a religious institution adopted by a Christian government, whether they explicitly said it was Bible-based or not, they were all men of faith and that faith did affect what they did...If you call it marriage, you really do need to look at what the Bible says about marriage, because that is what THEY were talking about when it was started by our government...If people wanna be gay, be gay, seriously, go for it...but if you ask me I won't tell you its ok with God... 'cuz it isn't...and I have a different theory about a lot of gay people (since the dozen or so gay people I am firends with and most of the people they know all have one thing in common), but I won't go into that here...equality doesn't mean you can do whatever you want whenever you want...

I am sorry but in my opinion they chose to be gay.
This is fascinating. Did they also choose their natural eye color? (I'm not saying that straights choose their eye color. They're probably telling the truth if they say they were born that way. But I'm not so sure we should trust gays to answer truthfully. If they're lying about not having chosen their sexual preference, they're probably also lying about not having chosen their eye color. N'est-ce pas?)
eye color <> homosexualityseriously... *shakes head*

I have just read through 8 different studieson the web where there was research done to see whether or not homosexuality is a choice. Among the finding were the possibility that an area of the hypothalamus on gay men was larger than that component on straight me. There were results stating that all fetuses are initially female and then through the release of various hormones and the presence of XX or XY chromosomes the fetus eventually evolves into the gender of the person that is born.However, nothing has been definitively proven. Maurile will have you think that no reasonable people would think that it is a choice. If it were so cut and dried we would not be having this debate because that would make it a civil right. So, Maurile, if reasonable peopel don't think it is a choice,; why has the debate not already been ended?

I have just read through 8 different studieson the web where there was research done to see whether or not homosexuality is a choice. Among the finding were the possibility that an area of the hypothalamus on gay men was larger than that component on straight me. There were results stating that all fetuses are initially female and then through the release of various hormones and the presence of XX or XY chromosomes the fetus eventually evolves into the gender of the person that is born.However, nothing has been definitively proven. Maurile will have you think that no reasonable people would think that it is a choice. If it were so cut and dried we would not be having this debate because that would make it a civil right. So, Maurile, if reasonable peopel don't think it is a choice,; why has the debate not already been ended?
There are "reasonable people" that still believe in theological deities and are convinced that their deity is the only one that people can believe in without burning for eternity.HTH

Users who are viewing this thread