What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ever had a league member post your private trade offers on the league message board? (1 Viewer)

I would rather just not be asked to the prom.

That way I don't have to hurt their feelings after I tell people about it, and those people make fun of him.

And yeah, I like any and all trade offers also.  However, just because I like getting an offer doesn't mean the person shouldn't be shamed for it.............PUBLICY.  The gift that keeps on giving.

I put it in the same category as talking about players during a draft ... that have yet to be drafted 

"I almost drafted "Player A" here, good size, speed, and think he in a great situation ... but I went with "player B" here instead" ... Player A is now on everyones radar now.

I'm sure some are ok with this ... but it is still wrong.
But you saying it's still wrong is just your opinion.  Trade offers get talked about all the time in the NFL and so to FA signings.  I play in a league of 24 where we enjoy giving each other crap.  If you screw up or make a terrible offer like that don't be surprised for someone to post it on the message board.  If you don't want to get embarrassed don't offer embarrassing trades.  Guarantee that if he sent a solid offer the guy wouldn't have posted it.

I put it in the same category as talking about players during a draft ... that have yet to be drafted 

"I almost drafted "Player A" here, good size, speed, and think he in a great situation ... but I went with "player B" here instead" ... Player A is now on everyones radar now.

Yeah but did someone do something really stupid to cause them to talk about that player?

Dr. Octopus said:
You like when dude's ask you to the prom?

homophobe? 

Don't worry, I don't bite ..... hard.
No... probably just bothered by the fact that a guy who's probably on the opposite side of 30 (since you joined this site 11 years ago) is still hoping to go on a date with a High School kid.  : )

Bossman said:
my counter offer would be something like::

A.Robinson

for

Cordarelle & 1.05

--------

A.Robinson

for

Stefon Diggs & 4.05

--------

You can not justify posting the trade offer in public. Guy that posted the trade offer was wrong to do so.

If it is horrible just let the guy know in the trade reject comments. Or if it's ongoing you could ask not to be offered any more trades.

Myself, I'd rather get a bad offer than no offer at all. At least I know my players have peoples interest.

Like being asked to the prom. Dude asking could be fat, ugly, and drive a Ford Pinto ... but still better than not being asked.
Drives a pinto? What year was your prom?

If it's a horrible offer I wouldn't post it on the league message board.

No, I much prefer to take out a billboard close to the guy's house, and hopefully along routes that others in the league drive frequently.  Like this.

If it's a horrible offer I wouldn't post it on the league message board.

No, I much prefer to take out a billboard close to the guy's house, and hopefully along routes that others in the league drive frequently.  Like this.
It's great but the player names are jacked. The guy who wouldn't take Hopkins is the F'n Newb.

Definitely poor form.  I would punch em in the face and scream "Thanks!, Mel F'in Kiper"...  then grab another beer.

happened to me once.  i went to the guy's house and shot him in his sleep,  judge immediately dropped all charges, calling it justifiable homicide.  nobody's done it to me since.

Completely wrong analogy but I'm sure you're okay with it. In your case you are helping other league mates who may not know about a player, and you could change future draft picks. In the other case a loser tells his mom someone was mean to him. Or, if there mom is busy, they post it on FBGs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely wrong analogy but I'm sure you're okay with it. In your case you are helping other league mates who may not know about a player, and you could change future draft picks. In the other case a loser tells his mom someone was mean to him. Or, if there mom is busy, they post it on FBGs.
I know we can "Like this"; is there a way we can "Unlike this"?

Just had this happen in one league. I am so pissed that this tacky behavior, and breach of trust. Either you accept, decline, or counter offer. But posting the offers on the league message boards? Disgusting. Never seen it in 24 years of playing fantasy. I told the guy I'll never talk trade with him again. Ever seen this? 

Am I over-reacting? It just left a rotten taste in my mouth. 
You're a whiny baby.  Plain and simple.  

Since when are trade offers the deepest darkest secrets of someone that you can not share?  Sounds to me like you're butt hurt that you were trying to swindle someone and got caught.  

If someone is selling a player they should want it to be as public as possible.  The Fair Market Value definition is based on an open and unrestricted market.      

You're a whiny baby.  Plain and simple.  

Since when are trade offers the deepest darkest secrets of someone that you can not share?  Sounds to me like you're butt hurt that you were trying to swindle someone and got caught.  

If someone is selling a player they should want it to be as public as possible.  The Fair Market Value definition is based on an open and unrestricted market.      
But, we're in the trust tree, in the nest, are we not?

I think that I understand now.

The loser that received the horrible offer has his feelings hurt and tells his mom (the league) that someone was mean to him. He's hoping the league will kiss his bruised feelings and make them all better. 

He's hoping to get responses of "yeah, what a bad offer. He was dumb for offering that ... and you were smart not to accept it. You're so much better at ff than him." ... There, now the loser can feel better.

Could have simply rejected the trade but that wouldn't have boosted his ego while attempting to belittle his league mate.

And talking up undrafted players is in the same category as posting a trade offer ... the category of extremely poor ff etiquette. 

For those that feel it is ok to post a trade offer ... does it have to be a BAD offer? ... or is it ok to post any offer? I have a feeling that you'd be less than thrilled if a league mate did this to you.

Seems like there is some personal ties in this thread and I have zero interest in participating in that dynamic. I will however comment on my thoughts of the dynamic as a whole. I think posting trade offers on the league message board is very poor fantasy football etiquette. I certainly wouldn't want to play in a league where any of the owners felt like that was appropriate behavior. If you don't like a trade--reject it--or don't respond.  Most fantasy leagues have an area called a "trading block" where each owner can name players that they are open to trading for the entire league to know. If an owner wanted it to be known that they were shopping around a player--they would put that players name on the trading block.  If they offer up a trade involving a player who they haven't put on the "trading block" it becomes crystal clear that they are making the offer with the belief that it is an offer to be considered privately.  

Not only is it in poor taste--but it can have a domino effect on how the league values certain players. Many times--there might be instances where one owner tries to trade for a player from one team--knowing that another owner from a different team might value that particular player even more--and makes offers with the intention of flipping that player to a third team for a player that they value more.  By announcing trades--this dynamic could very well be effected as the third team can become aware of another owner targeting a player that they covet--and could use this "inside" information to their advantage. Essentially what it comes down to is that announcing trades on the message board could give other owners a competitive advantage by making them aware of information that they wouldn't normally have.  The only way I think posting trades on a message board would be okay is if league requirements are that every proposed trade be posted so that no owner is gaining a competitive advantage by having extra information. 

Seems like there is some personal ties in this thread and I have zero interest in participating in that dynamic. I will however comment on my thoughts of the dynamic as a whole. I think posting trade offers on the league message board is very poor fantasy football etiquette. I certainly wouldn't want to play in a league where any of the owners felt like that was appropriate behavior. If you don't like a trade--reject it--or don't respond.  Most fantasy leagues have an area called a "trading block" where each owner can name players that they are open to trading for the entire league to know. If an owner wanted it to be known that they were shopping around a player--they would put that players name on the trading block.  If they offer up a trade involving a player who they haven't put on the "trading block" it becomes crystal clear that they are making the offer with the belief that it is an offer to be considered privately.  

Not only is it in poor taste--but it can have a domino effect on how the league values certain players. Many times--there might be instances where one owner tries to trade for a player from one team--knowing that another owner from a different team might value that particular player even more--and makes offers with the intention of flipping that player to a third team for a player that they value more.  By announcing trades--this dynamic could very well be effected as the third team can become aware of another owner targeting a player that they covet--and could use this "inside" information to their advantage. Essentially what it comes down to is that announcing trades on the message board could give other owners a competitive advantage by making them aware of information that they wouldn't normally have.  The only way I think posting trades on a message board would be okay is if league requirements are that every proposed trade be posted so that no owner is gaining a competitive advantage by having extra information. 
I agree it's poor form to post actual offers on league message board and I feel like everyone that is saying otherwise is not being objective. 

It feels like some herd mentally ganging up on this Hoffman dude because of 1) his rep on the boards 2) he posted the offer and context (it was a truly ####ty offer and new league mate so appears he was trying to take advantage of a newb) 3) he tried to then justify the trade as being legit.

I'll address 2) because 1) and 3)  speak for themselves. WE ALL have made truly crap offers before. And WE ALL have tested the waters with Newbs to see if they value players/picks different than consensus/the herd. Anyone saying they haven't tried to take advantage of a Newb (i.e. A market inefficiency) is being disingenuous to everyone here and to themselves. Perhaps the long timers here are all above this (highly doubt it) but the average dynasty player is not.

On the completed trade thread when someone posts a trade they've made clearly favoring them (even truly awful)  it's usually high fives and nice job with the highway robbery spattered in with a very rare "league killer" type comment.  The reality is someone sending ####ty offers doesn't kill leagues. People doing ####ty things kills leagues. Posting offers on league boards, Leaguemates not submitting complete lineups, starting injured players on a bye, collusive behavior. These things coupled with Commish inaction is what creates derision and kills leagues. 

Someone constantly peppering other owners with crap offers while annoying does not. That person may be blackballed and create a scenario where they no longer are able to effectively operate. If that happens that's on them. They may very rarely get a steal from a Newb. If they do so, good for them. But in general those types accept as many terrible deals as they are able to pull over on others. They don't tend to make out in the long run. 

Was this guy butt hurt because his trash offer was put out in the open? Yes, but it still doesn't make it right or okay to do to begin with.

I agree it's poor form to post actual offers on league message board and I feel like everyone that is saying otherwise is not being objective. 

It feels like some herd mentally ganging up on this Hoffman dude because of 1) his rep on the boards 2) he posted the offer and context (it was a truly ####ty offer and new league mate so appears he was trying to take advantage of a newb) 3) he tried to then justify the trade as being legit.

I'll address 2) because 1) and 3)  speak for themselves. WE ALL have made truly crap offers before. And WE ALL have tested the waters with Newbs to see if they value players/picks different than consensus/the herd. Anyone saying they haven't tried to take advantage of a Newb (i.e. A market inefficiency) is being disingenuous to everyone here and to themselves. Perhaps the long timers here are all above this (highly doubt it) but the average dynasty player is not.

On the completed trade thread when someone posts a trade they've made clearly favoring them (even truly awful)  it's usually high fives and nice job with the highway robbery spattered in with a very rare "league killer" type comment.  The reality is someone sending ####ty offers doesn't kill leagues. People doing ####ty things kills leagues. Posting offers on league boards, Leaguemates not submitting complete lineups, starting injured players on a bye, collusive behavior. These things coupled with Commish inaction is what creates derision and kills leagues. 

Someone constantly peppering other owners with crap offers while annoying does not. That person may be blackballed and create a scenario where they no longer are able to effectively operate. If that happens that's on them. They may very rarely get a steal from a Newb. If they do so, good for them. But in general those types accept as many terrible deals as they are able to pull over on others. They don't tend to make out in the long run. 

Was this guy butt hurt because his trash offer was put out in the open? Yes, but it still doesn't make it right or okay to do to begin with.
About the only time I think the message board route is appropriate is a trading block scenario.  You publicly post your intentions and let people bid with offers.  I think its poor etiquette to post offers in most other situations.  Some have made in comments in this thread that people will post legitimate offers in hope someone will up the ante.  I think that is poor form too...

I would classify this as an insulting offer.  If I were the one to notify the league that I'm rebuilding and looking to move a list of guys for draft picks, I'd be miffed that someone offered me junk for a young (23 years) player with strong potential who wasn't on said list.

I would have been more gracious.  A simple reply like "It was Denard Robinson (not Allen) on my list.  Is that who your offer was for?"   This would have given Hoff an out and got the point across (maybe).  I don't think its a good move to humiliate him.

That being said, I find posting the offer more defensible if the poor offers were a continual thing.

I can honestly say that I haven't tried to shred a newb.  I play in leagues with co-workers, friends and family but, even then, trying to screw someone isn't my style.  I've underpaid and overpaid, but always try to offer something I truly believe might interest the other team.

DropKick said:
That being said, I find posting the offer more defensible if the poor offers were a continual thing.

I can honestly say that I haven't tried to shred a newb.  I play in leagues with co-workers, friends and family but, even then, trying to screw someone isn't my style.  I've underpaid and overpaid, but always try to offer something I truly believe might interest the other team.
I think listening to him continue to try and defend the value of the trade lets us know why the other guys actions are defensible.

Best thread since "Drafting with Guppies" in the genre of threads not going the way an OP planned and they totally get clown'd

Just had this happen in one league. I am so pissed that this tacky behavior, and breach of trust. Either you accept, decline, or counter offer. But posting the offers on the league message boards? Disgusting. Never seen it in 24 years of playing fantasy. I told the guy I'll never talk trade with him again. Ever seen this? 

Am I over-reacting? It just left a rotten taste in my mouth. 
So if I'm getting this story right, you sent a lowball #### offer to this dude.  He responds by mocking you on the league message board.  Then you tell him you won't send him offers anymore?

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I'd be pretty ####### satisfied if someone would stop sending me lowball #### offers.  This is on you.

Best thread since "Drafting with Guppies" in the genre of threads not going the way an OP planned and they totally get clown'd
I had something kinda similar happen years ago in a league. A guy made me a lowball offer on a league website. I rejected it and made a counter-offer on the league site which I thought was fair. The next day there was a thread here at FBG about it, started by him --- specifically about how my counter-offer was trying to rip him off.

Opinion here was pretty even-divided on who was getting the better of the trade (which was never accepted). But the guy complaining was pretty roundly told he was being thin-skinned and whiny, which was unexpected (by him) and satisfying to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread