What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (2 Viewers)

A lot of recent talk in here should go to the TV thread.
Why? We all know grrm wont have the book out before season 6. Talk where u like i say
I honestly thought he'd manage it after it was rumored he was cancelling like... everything, but here's what I posted somewhere else in regards to his June 10th IIRC Not-a-Blog post:

WHAT THE #### GRRM?

This was posted on June 10th on his Livejournal. And yes, I'm quite sure he's the only person who still uses LiveJournal. :lmao:

Life is impossibly busy right now. I am wrestling with the Son of Kong (that is, working on THE WINDS OF WINTER), trying to wrap up a final round of edits and revisions on the twenty-third Wild Cards book (HIGH STAKES), developing three new series concepts for HBO and Cinemax, hiring writers and directors for three short low-budget films I am hoping to produce based on some classic SF short stories (more on that in the months to come), making my way through the Hugo Packet to prepare to vote, looking forward to opening JURASSIC WORLD at the Cocteay and to hosting a ten-author special event for the release of Steve Stirling's new "Emberverse" anthology, THE CHANGE. In a week's time, we'll be flying off to Europe for long-planned appearances in Germany (Hamburg) and Sweden (Stockholm), en route to Archipelacon on the island of Aland, where I am to be the Guest of Honor...
Seriously? I thought he was scaling this #### back in order to finish Winds of Winter?

I'm going to go out on a not-very-long limb and say that he won't finish the book in time for the next season's release, but probably at least by mid-TV-season. I'm sure he's going to try, but he's notoriously been known for his extremely long creative writing process.

There's absolutely NO reason he should be doing ANY editing work at all. Interviews and con appearances and #### here and there? Fine. But there's enough skilled editors out there where this shouldn't be an issue. At this point that's just his ego in play as he's edited and revised the entire newfound/rebooted Wild Card series and doesn't want to hand over the reigns to anyone else.

It's cool, though, George. It's not like there's a ####### gazillion people all waiting on you to release this book. Or that the release of this book before the next season of the TV show is positively integral to your loyal, long-time book-readers not feeling extremely betrayed by you.

I can't get too mad at the guy, though. He only does all of this other #### to help out other writers and people in the industry. Wouldn't kill him to break a few promises for the greater pop-culture good over the next few months imo.

Pretty sure it turns out the Heat Miser is the 3rd Targaryen who ends up demolishing the white walkers.
:lmao: :lmao:

Does the Snow Miser head up the White Walkers? :lmao:

I laughed entirely too much at this. I blame the vodka, but still funny none-the-less.
Could be.

I've heard the claymation wedding night consummation scenes with Danaerys and Heat Miser will be epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been exactly one major POV character who was killed off and stayed dead. Ned. Every other major death was to someone who wasn't even worthy(in Martin's mind) of being a multiple chapter POV character.

Killing Ned advanced the entire plot. Without that event, we likely have some peaceful resolution and this is a 2 book series that is quite boring.

Killing Jon accomplishes nothing. There is nowhere for the plot to advance to with his death, if he indeed stays dead. Nothing on the wall changes. Nothing in the North changes. Nothing with the Others changes. They have all the same problems, just a new leader to deal with them. A new leader that not one reader will give a #### about.
I don't see how you can say this without having read book 6. It's presumptuous.
Didn't you say you were 95% certain he's dead?
I think it's nuts to say that if Jon dies, nothing on the Wall changes. Things change drastically with Jon dead, who was the only forward-thinking man dressed in black up there. There would be a complete reversal on the NW's position regarding wildings, it'd probably mean fighting, which would weaken the defense of the wall even further.

If nothing else, Jon's death draws a parallel with the rest of the realm. The Seven Kingdoms are throwing their strength at each other, all bickering over who sits on the Iron Throne. Meanwhile a threat that has the capacity to wipe everyone and everything out is knocking on the door, but they're too blind and caught up in their own petty affairs to care. Similarly, Thorne and his crew, and presumably whoever comes into power in the event Jon is dead, will hold on to old grudges, even though they actually know that the cold winds are rising.

In that regard, Jon's death is very significant. That has a lot more weight to it than the theory of "Jon dies so he can technically be released of his NW vows." That would actually be some really crappy writing IMO. Characters should have to make tough decisions, and pay the consequences of those decisions. "Killing" Jon so that he gets out of his vows based on the fine print would be super cheesy in my opinion.

And again, if Jon leaves the NW, where exactly is he going? Someone in the TV thread (at least I hope it was the TV thread) said he'd be revived so that he could go become the Lord of Winterfell. How the hell is that going to happen with Stannis out of the picture? What else is Jon supposed to accomplish exactly?

Again, not saying he's 100% dead, but to say that his death would be pointless is way off base IMO.

There has been exactly one major POV character who was killed off and stayed dead. Ned. Every other major death was to someone who wasn't even worthy(in Martin's mind) of being a multiple chapter POV character.

Killing Ned advanced the entire plot. Without that event, we likely have some peaceful resolution and this is a 2 book series that is quite boring.

Killing Jon accomplishes nothing. There is nowhere for the plot to advance to with his death, if he indeed stays dead. Nothing on the wall changes. Nothing in the North changes. Nothing with the Others changes. They have all the same problems, just a new leader to deal with them. A new leader that not one reader will give a #### about.
I think it's nuts to say that if Jon dies, nothing on the Wall changes. Things change drastically with Jon dead, who was the only forward-thinking man dressed in black up there. There would be a complete reversal on the NW's position regarding wildings, it'd probably mean fighting, which would weaken the defense of the wall even further.

If nothing else, Jon's death draws a parallel with the rest of the realm. The Seven Kingdoms are throwing their strength at each other, all bickering over who sits on the Iron Throne. Meanwhile a threat that has the capacity to wipe everyone and everything out is knocking on the door, but they're too blind and caught up in their own petty affairs to care. Similarly, Thorne and his crew, and presumably whoever comes into power in the event Jon is dead, will hold on to old grudges, even though they actually know that the cold winds are rising.

In that regard, Jon's death is very significant. That has a lot more weight to it than the theory of "Jon dies so he can technically be released of his NW vows." That would actually be some really crappy writing IMO. Characters should have to make tough decisions, and pay the consequences of those decisions. "Killing" Jon so that he gets out of his vows based on the fine print would be super cheesy in my opinion.

And again, if Jon leaves the NW, where exactly is he going? Someone in the TV thread (at least I hope it was the TV thread) said he'd be revived so that he could go become the Lord of Winterfell. How the hell is that going to happen with Stannis out of the picture? What else is Jon supposed to accomplish exactly?

Again, not saying he's 100% dead, but to say that his death would be pointless is way off base IMO.
Good point about the crappy writing aspect of Jon dying so he can technically be released from his vows.

Buckychudd said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
(HULK) said:
Last stand against the walkers could easily be at the Neck rather than the Wall imo.
They make it all the way to kings landing. Imo
:goodposting:
If they get over the wall, then they'll run over King's Landing in about five minutes. Stannis almost pulled it off. There's something called the Mud Gate for crying out loud.

If they get over the wall, what defensive structure can they not take down?
I think they could eventually take it, but I bet they'd have a heck of a time trying to take the Vale imo.
The Wights probably don't need food or sleep. They make the perfect siege army. If they get pass the wall only dragons and magic stand in their way.
The idea that conventional means not stopping the WW's kind of reinforces the idea that Jon Snow is dead. Maybe Brandon is the most important and essential member of the Stark family?

But Stannis isn't out of the picture yet in the books.

Not saying he won't die, but it could be after he takes Winterfell.

cause he died.That's something that happened, as opposed to the plot of book 6, which hasn't

cause he died.That's something that happened, as opposed to the plot of book 6, which hasn't
We don't know this yet, without having read Book 6. It's presumptuous.

CBusAlex said:
Harry Manback said:
So which character is going to give us the wall POV next book?

Or, is the Wall POV not important?
Worth noting that Cersei didn't have a single POV chapter in the first three books, but became the primary viewpoint for King's Landing after Tyrion, Sansa, and Jamie left.
True, but Cersei was at last a main character who was central to multiple plot lines. Who at the wall is????

Yes we do. He was killed. Its not like Martin was describing him falling asleep in a cold bathtub. He was describing his death.

Yes we do. He was killed. Its not like Martin was describing him falling asleep in a cold bathtub. He was describing his death.
So you're trying to say, your entire argument is that he is currently dead, not that he will stay dead?

So you're trying to say, your entire argument is that he is currently dead, not that he will stay dead?
what is dead may never die!

Maybe the Walkers overrun the Wall before Snow is burned. Then he's a wight but because of his special hertiage or warging he still has consciousness. So he's infiltrating the Walkers like he did the Wildlings and at some point wargs back into his wight body, rides a dragon (or ice dragon) and saves the realm. But at the same time, once the walkers die, the wights die for real and he doesn't have time to warg into anything else, and Snow is gone forever (for the ####ed up GRRM ending).

Maybe the Walkers overrun the Wall before Snow is burned. Then he's a wight but because of his special hertiage or warging he still has consciousness. So he's infiltrating the Walkers like he did the Wildlings and at some point wargs back into his wight body, rides a dragon (or ice dragon) and saves the realm. But at the same time, once the walkers die, the wights die for real and he doesn't have time to warg into anything else, and Snow is gone forever (for the ####ed up GRRM ending).
It'd be cool if the white walkers made Walker-Jon kill Walker-Quaron Halfhand to prove his loyalty.

He is currently dead.

I think a resurrection is unlikely. It is within the realm of possible though.

My complaint is people acting like he's either not dead or that it is a foregone conclusion that if he is dead, he'll be resurrected somehow.

I think foregone conclusions are not possible with Martin. Guy is outside the box.

He is currently dead.

My complaint is people acting like he's either not dead or that it is a foregone conclusion that if he is dead, he'll be resurrected somehow.

I think foregone conclusions are not possible with Martin. Guy is outside the box.
the biggest reason that most people think this is all the hype around him and his parentage, if he just dies at the wall in a mutiny then well who cares. I admit that would be a big GRRM FU to the readers and could be totally possible. then who is the third dragon? heck who is the second because the tyrion thing seems really far fetched.

Even if GRRM gets book 6 out before the next season of GoT. There's literally no chance he gets book 7 out before the final season of GoT.

He is currently dead.

the biggest reason that most people think this is all the hype around him and his parentage, if he just dies at the wall in a mutiny then well who cares. I admit that would be a big GRRM FU to the readers and could be totally possible. then who is the third dragon? heck who is the second because the tyrion thing seems really far fetched.
Maybe he gets the smallest dragon. Think a jockey riding a horse. Size matters.

Maybe Melisandre uses Snow's blood to bring back Stannis, or some other blood magic. That makes Snow's parentage relevant. :shrug:

But, count me in the group that thinks Snow still has an important role to play in the outcome of the series. Too many hints associated with Snow's future - from the parentage issue, to Melisandre seeing "snow" when she searches for AA in the fires, to the "kill the boy, and let the man be born", etc.

Maybe Melisandre uses Snow's blood to bring back Stannis, or some other blood magic. That makes Snow's parentage relevant. :shrug:

But, count me in the group that thinks Snow still has an important role to play in the outcome of the series. Too many hints associated with Snow's future - from the parentage issue, to Melisandre seeing "snow" when she searches for AA in the fires, to the "kill the boy, and let the man be born", etc.
Not to mention the show creators crumbing it as well with Sam's, "Jon'll come back -- he always comes back" wink wink speech.

I hope at the end they do a Six Feet Under style thing where they go into the future and you see how every character dies and the actor for old Sam Tarly is GRRM finally doing a cameo and he dies just indiscriminately blowing loads in young women and wolf howling while his permed grey locks rain jerry curl juice all over the grounds.

I hope at the end they do a Six Feet Under style thing where they go into the future and you see how every character dies and the actor for old Sam Tarly is GRRM finally doing a cameo and he dies just indiscriminately blowing loads in young women and wolf howling while his permed grey locks rain jerry curl juice all over the grounds.
If they do that, it will be a scene where GRRM is in the middle of writing the last book, when he keels over dead. Then people can debate if he is really dead, or if a red witch will resurrect him, or if he warged into his beard.

Are we putting spoilers in this thread? Here is some information about a leaked audition tape for a new character. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/25/game-of-thrones-leaked-audition-script_n_7657650.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
If this is happening it seems like more confirmation that the whole Euron/Victarion thing is not happening in the show - seems like this chick would basically be taking the place of Moqorro. Not like I'm expecting the Euron/Victarion thing at this point anyway.

So this red priestess is gonna help Danyaeris get to Westeros then after melissadnre resurrects jon snow, danyearis and jon snow can hook up because they have the whole red priestess follower thing in common. they'll be the same religion which is important for a long term relationship.

So Littlefinger killed Jon Arryn to gets the Starks to Kings Landing and to set himself up in the Eyrie is what we are to assume, right?

What was his plan though? If not for Bran seeing the lannisters and then Joffrey trying to have bran killed, plus Jon Arryn coincidentally getting close to solving the incest thing, none of this ever happens.

What was Varys thinking? He wanted Chaos in the realm so he could bring back the Targs. What did he do other than suppose Roberts crap ruling to make this happen prior to the war breaking out and destroying houses etc ?

Maybe Dany, now a rider of dragons, is essentially worshipped by the dothraki. They bring her to Vas Dothrak and all of the khalsars come there to see the one who rides something greater than any horse. This fulfills a prophecy that all the khalsars will one day come together. Then she goes back to mereen and then the seven kingdoms (or stays in Essos??)

So Littlefinger killed Jon Arryn to gets the Starks to Kings Landing and to set himself up in the Eyrie is what we are to assume, right?

What was his plan though? If not for Bran seeing the lannisters and then Joffrey trying to have bran killed, plus Jon Arryn coincidentally getting close to solving the incest thing, none of this ever happens.
Not sure he had any specific plan, other than just "chaos is a ladder". I figured he knew that Arryn was close on the twincest thing, and calculated that he could start a war by getting the Starks involved and framing the Lannisters for Arryn's murder.

What was Varys thinking? He wanted Chaos in the realm so he could bring back the Targs. What did he do other than suppose Roberts crap ruling to make this happen prior to the war breaking out and destroying houses etc ?
I feel like I understand less about Varys' motivations than any other character, but it seems reasonable to think that his support for the Targaryens was more about hedging his bets than any sort of ideological loyalty. Whoever comes out on top, Varys wants to be sure he's part of their inner circle.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:

Caught up now with the TV series. I have read the books and season 5 is vastly different. But I actually like that. It's like two different stories that likely will end the same way, but different paths to it.

the Eddard chapters of Game of Thrones are so great. It fills me with dread as I read them though, knowing what is to come. I just finished the Sansa chapter after the big betrayal and I am reminded now why I loathed her for so long.

Also enjoying my re-read. But at my pace it might take a decade. Thinking of just renting the audiobooks from the library.

I started a re-read a week or two ago, I generally get about 1 chapter a night, on average. About half-way through the first book so far. Enjoying it a lot so far.

Users who are viewing this thread