What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heart Attack Question (1 Viewer)

russinfortworth

Footballguy
So a little back story.

Father-in-law w/ no previous heart issues (65, recently retired, moderate exercise for his age, not best eater, slightly overweight-pot belly, slightly high BP) was in Minnesota for a grandkids soccer tournament.  Started having chest pains.  Mother in law says its "indigestion / pain from new yoga class" and they do nothing even though pain is getting worse (of course they are telling no one).  Get back to Omaha late Sunday night and go to ER.  Seems his main artery "widow maker" is 95% clogged.  They do emergency surgery and implant an stent.  Let him know yesterday morning that they want to do more tests to determine the damage to the heart, but that "he should be able to go home tomorrow morning".

Overnight he was moved out of a normal cardiac room to a ICU room, but no one has told my MIL or any of the relatives anything yet, saying that "the doctor will be making his rounds" around 4:00pm.  Needless to say, MIL and FIL and family are freaking out about not being told anything.

I know that most doctors are busy during the day, and not on FBG, but maybe someone here has experience with heart attacks and their aftermath.

Obviously they found something in test results that maybe alarming.  Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one last year.  If they put in a stint in as a precaution, it can be an outpatient surgery.  But at his age and being that he had a heart attack, they are going to keep him at least three days.  Hospitals have the choice of fighting the insurance companies over keeping patients too long and fighting lawyers for malpractice if something does go wrong.  Right now the best research says to keep patients at least 3 days unless they are in their 40's, then they may go home sooner.  Whoever said he was going home tomorrow probably did not know what they were talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25814223

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts and prayers. I don't have much to add other than my dad had a "widow maker" at 54 and he's now 62.  :thumbup:

Good luck. 

Users who are viewing this thread