What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City Chiefs (1 Viewer)

Jamaal Charles is back out and in full uniform on sidelines as we start 2nd half...that's good news for #Chiefs fans

From Rotowire:

Charles' apparent arm injury in Friday night's preseason game was nothing more than him landing awkwardly and hitting his funny bone, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports. According to the Kansas City Star's Kent Babb, Charles did have his surgically repaired shoulder examined and iced after the game, but that appears to have been precautionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
everytime he touches the ball he gains a good amount amount of yardage. He is going to get alot more touches then people think.

I kept Charles in one of my money leagues where you can keep any player that you drafted from the 4th round on. One thing, and one thing only ran through my mind as I saw Charles bang up his elbow on that play. I should probably bump Rodgers/Finley up another couple spots.

I kept Charles in one of my money leagues where you can keep any player that you drafted from the 4th round on. One thing, and one thing only ran through my mind as I saw Charles bang up his elbow on that play. I should probably bump Rodgers/Finley up another couple spots.
:own3d:

As a Charles owner, i am more concerned about Mccluster than Jones at this point.
Why? Having another dangerous offensive threat for the defense to account for will only keep the lanes open for Charles. Having a guy like that is more like a fun toy that you use a few times a game, and also send out there so the defense has to account for him. There is absolutely no danger that McCluster unseats Charles... especially when Jamaal has been nothing but an absolute stud.

Will Charles return kickoffs and/or punts this season? I'm in a ppr league that also awards points for return yardage. I noticed that he was projected on my league site for return yardage and though...bonus!...I never expected that.(Managed to grab him at the 3/4 turn last night and if he gets points for returns as well, I'm thinking he will be $$$)
Any word on whether Charles will return kicks/punts? thanks

As a Charles owner, i am more concerned about Mccluster than Jones at this point.
Why? Having another dangerous offensive threat for the defense to account for will only keep the lanes open for Charles. Having a guy like that is more like a fun toy that you use a few times a game, and also send out there so the defense has to account for him. There is absolutely no danger that McCluster unseats Charles... especially when Jamaal has been nothing but an absolute stud.
Mccluster doesnt have to unseat Charles to eat into his value. If DM plays as well in the regular season as he has in the preseason, the Chiefs will have a 3 way RBBC. Look at what that has done for Felix Jones value.

Will Charles return kickoffs and/or punts this season? I'm in a ppr league that also awards points for return yardage. I noticed that he was projected on my league site for return yardage and though...bonus!...I never expected that.(Managed to grab him at the 3/4 turn last night and if he gets points for returns as well, I'm thinking he will be $$$)
Any word on whether Charles will return kicks/punts? thanks
I doubt it, outside maybe the occasional kick.they have arenas, and possibly mccluster.

Agreed with the bold part. McCluster will continue to garner a larger role based on everything he has shown so far. If the Chiefs only use him a few times per game, their OC should be sacked immediately.

It is beyond pathetic that Jamaal Charles is being slapped in the face being behind TJones. This is not Cedric Benson. This is the guy who had the most productive second half of any player outside of the QB position last year.

^Exactly. The regular season is about to start and Haley still has Jones listed as the starter? This is grown beyond any 'motivational' ploys. It has gotten downright insulting. JC's YPC in the preseason was, what, 7.0? Jones' was like 3.1? This is ridiculous. I can't actually believe he can put that depth chart out there with a straight face.

It is beyond pathetic that Jamaal Charles is being slapped in the face being behind TJones. This is not Cedric Benson. This is the guy who had the most productive second half of any player outside of the QB position last year.
It is beyond pathetic for anyone to feel that splitting carries with TJones is a slap in the face for Charles. TJones isn't Cedric Benson either. Thomas Jones has ran for 6,378 yards and 43 TDs over the last 5 years. How many backs have had a better 5 year run?

^Exactly. The regular season is about to start and Haley still has Jones listed as the starter? This is grown beyond any 'motivational' ploys. It has gotten downright insulting. JC's YPC in the preseason was, what, 7.0? Jones' was like 3.1? This is ridiculous. I can't actually believe he can put that depth chart out there with a straight face.
Hightower is also listed as the starter in Arizona. So what?

The difference is that Charles is being drafted in the second-third round and Wells isn't being drafted until the 4th or 5th. Also, the difference is that Hightower and Wells split time last year, so fantasy owners know what to expect. The Jones-Charles situation is more intriguing because nobody knows what will happen.

It is beyond pathetic for anyone to feel that splitting carries with TJones is a slap in the face for Charles. TJones isn't Cedric Benson either. Thomas Jones has ran for 6,378 yards and 43 TDs over the last 5 years. How many backs have had a better 5 year run?
Agree with this, you guys are strictly looking at it from a fantasy perspective. From all accounts, T. Jones is a consumate professional and has been greatly respected by all of his coaches and teammates everywhere he has been. K.C. is a young team with a losing culture, it's not the worst thing to have one of your veterans and team leaders who has posted back to back 1,400 yard seasons splitting carries with Charles. I agree, that at this stage in their careers, Charles is probably the better back but you need to take everything into consideration. I am staying away from Charles based on where he is going, with Jones and McCluster who knows how the backfield is going to shake out.

Agree with this, you guys are strictly looking at it from a fantasy perspective. From all accounts, T. Jones is a consumate professional and has been greatly respected by all of his coaches and teammates everywhere he has been. K.C. is a young team with a losing culture, it's not the worst thing to have one of your veterans and team leaders who has posted back to back 1,400 yard seasons splitting carries with Charles. I agree, that at this stage in their careers, Charles is probably the better back but you need to take everything into consideration. I am staying away from Charles based on where he is going, with Jones and McCluster who knows how the backfield is going to shake out.
Jamaal Charles put up big numbers last year with under 200 carries. I don't know why anyone would stay away from Jamaal regardless of splitting carries with Jones.

I call foul. The way Jones treated Benson in Chicago was reprehensible. The spin coming out of Chicago was that Benson was garbage. As 2009 demonstrated, Benson is a capable running back who just happened to be belittled by a guy who should have been his mentor. Maybe Jones has matured now. I hope so.

The difference is that Charles is being drafted in the second-third round and Wells isn't being drafted until the 4th or 5th. Also, the difference is that Hightower and Wells split time last year, so fantasy owners know what to expect. The Jones-Charles situation is more intriguing because nobody knows what will happen.
I think you missed the point. Hightower and Wells didn't really "split time" last year. As the year wore on, Wells was easily getting the majority of the carries. Games 9-16 in 2009Wells: 125 carries (62%)Hightower: 78 carries (38%)If we look at the last 7 games of the year, including the playoffs, it's even more lopsided:Wells: 87 carries (67%)Hightower: 43 carries (33%)Guess who was listed as the "starter" in every single one of those games. Guess who is still listed as the starter. Finally, guess how much that matters.Is it insulting that Hightower is still the "starter"? It doesn't matter that Charles is going a round higher. If he gets the majority of the carries like Beanie will as well, he'll live up to his draft spot as will Beanie. He doesn't need to be named the starter for that to happen. That's my point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is that Charles is being drafted in the second-third round and Wells isn't being drafted until the 4th or 5th.
That's got nothing to do with who's starting or who's getting carries, and everything to do with Charles >>> Wells. Charles would be a top 5 pick if everyone believed he'd get 250+ carries and weren't worried about his goal line touches.

He's just the body type that tends to get hurt.
You know, most people tend to think like this...smaller frame, bound to get banged up easier than a bigger guy.I thought that about Johnson last year but realized that his speed is what keeps him from taking that big hit. Same logic could be applied to Charles. Speed kills, man.

I think you missed the point. Hightower and Wells didn't really "split time" last year. As the year wore on, Wells was easily getting the majority of the carries. Games 9-16 in 2009Wells: 125 carries (62%)Hightower: 78 carries (38%)If we look at the last 7 games of the year, including the playoffs, it's even more lopsided:Wells: 87 carries (67%)Hightower: 43 carries (33%)Guess who was listed as the "starter" in every single one of those games. Guess who is still listed as the starter. Finally, guess how much that matters.Is it insulting that Hightower is still the "starter"? It doesn't matter that Charles is going a round higher. If he gets the majority of the carries like Beanie will as well, he'll live up to his draft spot as will Beanie. He doesn't need to be named the starter for that to happen. That's my point.
While I agree with (what I think is) you point that Charles will get plenty of touches and be valuable as a FF RB, I think what the other poster is saying is that we know from last year that even though hightower is listed as the starter, Wells will get the majority of the carries. We may believe this to be the case with Charles, but we don't "know" it yet. **Obviously this is before Wells' injury. If it's not serious, I'd expect this year to be similar to last year. I also expect the KC situation to be similar: Jones listed as starter, Charles getting more touches.

Users who are viewing this thread