What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City Chiefs (2 Viewers)

It is beyond pathetic that Jamaal Charles is being slapped in the face being behind TJones. This is not Cedric Benson. This is the guy who had the most productive second half of any player outside of the QB position last year.
It is beyond pathetic for anyone to feel that splitting carries with TJones is a slap in the face for Charles. TJones isn't Cedric Benson either. Thomas Jones has ran for 6,378 yards and 43 TDs over the last 5 years. How many backs have had a better 5 year run?
Agree with this, you guys are strictly looking at it from a fantasy perspective. From all accounts, T. Jones is a consumate professional and has been greatly respected by all of his coaches and teammates everywhere he has been. K.C. is a young team with a losing culture, it's not the worst thing to have one of your veterans and team leaders who has posted back to back 1,400 yard seasons splitting carries with Charles. I agree, that at this stage in their careers, Charles is probably the better back but you need to take everything into consideration. I am staying away from Charles based on where he is going, with Jones and McCluster who knows how the backfield is going to shake out.
I take it you didn't follow the Jets towards the end of last year and saw how badly Jones faded.Plus, I can counter by saying that LT is also a consumate professional as well and his respected by his coaches and is a future hall of famer and had an outstanding preseason. Yet, last I checked Ryan still had Green as the starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw

Jamaal Charles: Charles 'fine' after leaving game FridayJamaal Charles - RB - KC - Aug. 28 - 3:22 pm etESPN's Adam Schefter confirms that Jamaal Charles is "fine" after leaving Friday night's game with a minor arm injury."Charles just landed awkwardly on his funny bone last night," said Schefter. "He is fine. Draft away." Coach Todd Haley has promised to "go by what I see" in the backfield this season. He's seen Charles outplay Thomas Jones for three straight preseason games now. Aug. 28 - 3:22 pm et Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jamaal Charles-RB - Chiefs Aug. 27 - 11:50 pm et

Jamaal Charles started Friday night's preseason game against the Eagles, and generated 60 total yards on seven touches.

He had six carries for 40 yards and a 20-yard catch. Charles disappointingly fumbled away the opening handoff, but rebounded with a string of explosive plays. On the preseason, he's now averaging 8.2 yards per touch compared to Thomas Jones' paltry 3.16. There is a gaping separation between the two in terms of productivity and talent. Players that start the third preseason game usually start in Week 1, and we expect that to be the case in Kansas City.

Jamaal Charles-RB - Chiefs Aug. 27 - 8:26 pm et

Jamaal Charles started the Chiefs' third preseason game Friday night, but fumbled the handoff on the first play from scrimmage.

Trent Cole recovered the loose ball, and Philadelphia scored a touchdown two plays later. The good signs are that Charles started, played extensively with the first-team offense, and was not pulled after the early miscue. The bad sign is that fumbling has been an on-again, off-again problem for Charles dating back to his Longhorn days. He needs to finish the game strong.

Jamaal Charles-RB - Chiefs Aug. 27 - 1:08 am et

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson predicts that Jamaal Charles will receive 60 percent of the carries for the Chiefs this season.

Williamson, a former beat writer for the Broncos, covers the AFC West for ESPN now. He confirms that Charles has been "great" in camp and the Chiefs backfield is the "most overblown controversy" of the summer. "It's no biggie," writes Williamson. "Charles is the guy. Now, if this continues in the regular season, we'll talk. But I don't see it happening." Preach on, brother Williamson.

Source: ESPN.com

Traded for Charles before my league's free agency day. So whats the story this Haley is an idiot?

hotlanta said:
jurrassic said:
Ilov80s said:
It is beyond pathetic that Jamaal Charles is being slapped in the face being behind TJones. This is not Cedric Benson. This is the guy who had the most productive second half of any player outside of the QB position last year.
It is beyond pathetic for anyone to feel that splitting carries with TJones is a slap in the face for Charles. TJones isn't Cedric Benson either. Thomas Jones has ran for 6,378 yards and 43 TDs over the last 5 years. How many backs have had a better 5 year run?
Agree with this, you guys are strictly looking at it from a fantasy perspective. From all accounts, T. Jones is a consumate professional and has been greatly respected by all of his coaches and teammates everywhere he has been. K.C. is a young team with a losing culture, it's not the worst thing to have one of your veterans and team leaders who has posted back to back 1,400 yard seasons splitting carries with Charles. I agree, that at this stage in their careers, Charles is probably the better back but you need to take everything into consideration. I am staying away from Charles based on where he is going, with Jones and McCluster who knows how the backfield is going to shake out.
I take it you didn't follow the Jets towards the end of last year and saw how badly Jones faded.Plus, I can counter by saying that LT is also a consumate professional as well and his respected by his coaches and is a future hall of famer and had an outstanding preseason. Yet, last I checked Ryan still had Green as the starter.
LT. Usually all your teammates don't hate you if you're a professional.

Unless this was all a coaching ploy -- J. Charles will be one of the most overated backs in the draft.

A. T. Jones will get at least 40% of the carries ( is on paper the starter )

B. D. McCluster will be getting 10% of the carries plus steal many PPR chances from Charles

C. KC just isn't a scoring machine or a great offense. In burst Charles has been great being the main over the ong haul is totally different maybe he is Tiki 2.0 I just don't buy it.

I love the scoffing of Dex McCluster playing RB -- ask any defensive player in the SEC last year what RB scared them the most -- it wasn't Mark Ingram it was Dex.. Could Dex hold up as a feature back -- NO but he is the most explosive player they have to not get hime 5-8 carries would be plain dumb.

Unless this was all a coaching ploy -- J. Charles will be one of the most overated backs in the draft.A. T. Jones will get at least 40% of the carries ( is on paper the starter )B. D. McCluster will be getting 10% of the carries plus steal many PPR chances from CharlesC. KC just isn't a scoring machine or a great offense. In burst Charles has been great being the main over the ong haul is totally different maybe he is Tiki 2.0 I just don't buy it.I love the scoffing of Dex McCluster playing RB -- ask any defensive player in the SEC last year what RB scared them the most -- it wasn't Mark Ingram it was Dex.. Could Dex hold up as a feature back -- NO but he is the most explosive player they have to not get hime 5-8 carries would be plain dumb.
This. If you pencil T Jones in for carries proportional to what Hightower got, 35 to 40%, and you pencil in McCluster for 60 carries or so, that only leaves 170 or so carries for Charles. That is the best case scenario for Charles, absent injury. He would have to produce at the same rate as last year over the course of an entire season to be worth his draft slot, and that won't happen.The more likely scenario, in my view, is that T. Jones gets half of the total carries, including the goal line carries, with Charles getting 40%.Those drafting Charles in the second or third round are living in a dreamworld dissociated from reality. Yell at Haley till the cows come home, but the signs are there to avoid Charles on draft day.

Unless this was all a coaching ploy -- J. Charles will be one of the most overated backs in the draft.A. T. Jones will get at least 40% of the carries ( is on paper the starter )B. D. McCluster will be getting 10% of the carries plus steal many PPR chances from CharlesC. KC just isn't a scoring machine or a great offense. In burst Charles has been great being the main over the ong haul is totally different maybe he is Tiki 2.0 I just don't buy it.I love the scoffing of Dex McCluster playing RB -- ask any defensive player in the SEC last year what RB scared them the most -- it wasn't Mark Ingram it was Dex.. Could Dex hold up as a feature back -- NO but he is the most explosive player they have to not get hime 5-8 carries would be plain dumb.
This. If you pencil T Jones in for carries proportional to what Hightower got, 35 to 40%, and you pencil in McCluster for 60 carries or so, that only leaves 170 or so carries for Charles. That is the best case scenario for Charles, absent injury. He would have to produce at the same rate as last year over the course of an entire season to be worth his draft slot, and that won't happen.The more likely scenario, in my view, is that T. Jones gets half of the total carries, including the goal line carries, with Charles getting 40%.Those drafting Charles in the second or third round are living in a dreamworld dissociated from reality. Yell at Haley till the cows come home, but the signs are there to avoid Charles on draft day.
Thomas Jones has not looked good. I would see no reason why he would get half the carries. That's just silly. Jamaal Charles only had 190 carries last year and finished 11th in total points among RB's in my league. That was after only starting half the season. You say that you are crazy for drafting (in the 3rd round) a player who had the highest yards per carry in the NFL last year... along with being the first player in history to go over 1,100 yards in less than 200 carries?Even the Coach has said that he will run with the back that gives them the best chance to win. How do you interpret that as an even split? Charles will get the lion's share of the carries...and he will produce big. There is nothing that would lead us to believe otherwise. Not his outstanding job after starting last year... or his great job this preseason. Charles is a stud.

170 carries in a best-case scenario. What's the worst case, 120? 100? After Jones gobbles up 200 and McCluster another 100? 'Chu smokin', dude? :popcorn:

As I keep telling that McCluster ballwasher (who you really should stray away from "this"'ing), Charles is WAY more explosive than McCluster. You bench your starter for McCluster more often if your starter is Brandon Jacobs or Knowshon Moreno. Charles is the polar opposite, hence why McCluster will be a slot WR. Jones is the only true threat, and people are (still) tripping if they think he'll get THAT many carries. 60% or something is absurd. But GL with it.

Week 1 will be huge. The worst thing for Charles owners would be if Jones went out and put up his typical workmanlike 20 carries for like 110 yards and a td. That would buy him like 3-4 more weeks as the main guy. We need Jones to fall flat on his face week 1.

Give me this line for Jones in the 1st half Mon night -- 9 carries, 7 yards and a fumble.

Thomas Jones has not looked good. I would see no reason why he would get half the carries. That's just silly. Jamaal Charles only had 190 carries last year and finished 11th in total points among RB's in my league. That was after only starting half the season. You say that you are crazy for drafting (in the 3rd round) a player who had the highest yards per carry in the NFL last year... along with being the first player in history to go over 1,100 yards in less than 200 carries?Even the Coach has said that he will run with the back that gives them the best chance to win. How do you interpret that as an even split? Charles will get the lion's share of the carries...and he will produce big. There is nothing that would lead us to believe otherwise. Not his outstanding job after starting last year... or his great job this preseason. Charles is a stud.
This sort of thinking is delusional. Let me explain why.Last year, the Chiefs' non-QBs had 388 carries over the course of the season. That number may increase somewhat, but probably not by much. For the purposes of this analysis I will assume that there are 420 non-QB carries to go around--a 30 carry increase from last year. (By comparison, the Jets have roughly 500 carries to go around, which is why LT is so valuable). Also, for the purposes of this analysis I am assuming all three runners remain healthy. This probably helps Charles, because out of Jones, Charles, and McCluster, Charles is the biggest injury risk.Thomas Jones has been atop the Chiefs' depth chart all offseason, and remains there going into week 1. Jones also possesses a different skillset than Charles, and will be in there on goalline and short yardage plays. At a minimum, these two factors (starting job, goal line carries) indicate that Jones will receive at least 35% of the team's RB carries (roughly 140). That's Jones' floor. His ceiling is probably around 200 carries.Dexter McCluster was drafted in the early second round and is a dynamic runner, like Charles. He will play some wide receiver, but will also undoubtedly receive some carries (he had 181 carries last year in the SEC). I think he gets at least 70 carries on the season, and probably also eats into Charles' receptions. His ceiling is around 100 carries.What does that leave for Charles? At best, if Jones only gets 140 carries, and McCluster only gets 70, Charles will be left with the remaining 210 carries. That's only 20 more than he had last year. At worst, if Jones gets, say, 170 carries and McCluster 100, Charles would only be left with 150 carries.150-210 carries simply isn't worth a second or third round pick in most leagues, especially when you consider that Jones will get the goal line carries. Charles is MAYBE worth a late third round pick as a flex option, IF you assume that his yards per carry stay around 6. That is unlikely, but if you draft him in the third round that is what you have to believe.

a player who had the highest yards per carry in the NFL last year... along with being the first player in history to go over 1,100 yards in less than 200 carries?
Therein lies your probability based answer.
Uhh... OK.... The point is that Charles has done nothing but shine with every opportunity that he has had since given the starting position last year. He was 2nd only to Chris Johnson in the second half of the season. He has looked GREAT in the preason.... thereis absolutely nothing pointing towards anything other than Charles getting plenty of work and being a stud. Thomas Jones' below average preseason display certainly didn't work against Charles' value.

I expect McCluster will be used heavily in the passing game, and that he will get a few reverses and end arounds a game; maybe 3 or four carries a game. I doubt that he will impact Charles that much.Change of pace backs rarely impact the fantasy production of a great player.

Charles is 5 times the runner Jones is AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Jones will come in to spell JC, McCluster will get bubble screens and 3-4 carries a game. Charles is a lock top 15 rb, especially in PPR. He is a special talent.

Charles is 5 times the runner Jones is AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Jones will come in to spell JC, McCluster will get bubble screens and 3-4 carries a game. Charles is a lock top 15 rb, especially in PPR. He is a special talent.
I don't see how you can say this when you consider the RBs on their roster and the limited number of carries to go around.

This sort of thinking is delusional. Let me explain why.Last year, the Chiefs' non-QBs had 388 carries over the course of the season. That number may increase somewhat, but probably not be much. For the purposes of this analysis I will assume that there are 420 non-QB carries to go around--a 30 carry increase from last year. (By comparison, the Jets have roughly 500 carries to go around, which is why LT is so valuable). Also, for the purposes of this analysis I am assuming all three runners remain healthy. This probably helps Charles, because out of Jones, charles, and McCluster, charles is the biggest injury risk.Thomas Jones has been atop the Chiefs' depth chart all offseason, and remains there going into week 1. Jones also possesses a different skillset than Charles, and will be in there on goalline and short yardage plays. At a minimum, these two factors (starting job, goal line carries) indicate that Jones will receive at least 35% of the team's RB carries (roughly 140). That's Jones' floor. His ceiling is probably around 170 carries.Dexter McCluster was drafted in the early second round and is a dynamic runner, like Charles. He will play some wide receiver, but will also undoubtedly receive some carries (he had 181 carries last year in the SEC). I think he gets at least 70 carries on the season, and probably also eats into Charles' receptions. His ceiling is around 100 carries.What does that leave for Charles? At best, if Jones only gets 140 carries, and McCluster only gets 70, Charles will be left with the remaining 210 carries. That's only 20 more than he had last year. At worst, if Jones gets, say, 170 carries and McCluster 100, Charles would only be left with 150 carries.150-210 carries simply isn't worth a second or third round pick in most leagues, especially when you consider that Jones will get the goal line carries. Charles is MAYBE worth a late third round pick as a flex option, IF you assume that his yards per carry stay around 6. That is unlikely, but if you draft him in the third round that is what you have to believe.
Nothing that the coach has said so far would lead anyone to believe that they are going to split carries like that. Not only that, but you are completely ignoring Charles receiving ability and production. You have to be a bit insane if you honestly think that they would give Jones MORE carries than Charles, and McCluster 100 to Charles' 150. If all three stay healthy... there is no way on earth that is ever going to happen. McCluster is NOT a threat to Charles' production. The man is not even on the team as a running back, he's a WR. Like I said before... at best he is a threat on the field that the defense will have to account for. That will only help Charles in the run AND receiving game. McCluster isn't going to get a bunch of carries or a bunch of receptions. He is going to a very useful novelty item that will keep the defense guessing and will probably provide a few big plays this year on offense or special teams. There is no possiblity that McCluster reaches anywhere even mildy close to 100 carries if all three guys stay healthy. That's just insane. He will be working in and out of slot receiver and as a kick returner with a handful of carries all year. I would guess that he will carry the ball less than 40 times from the RB position. I wouldn't be surprised to see it MUCH less than 40, but it won't go over 40 if they all stay healthy. BTW... McCluster has NOT shown to be as much of a dynamic runner as Charles at the NFL level. Not even in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I have already addressed Thomas Jones as well. He has done nothing to show any reason why he would get equal or more carries than Charles. Jones looks slow and easy to bring down. Remindes me of S. Alexander a couple years ago. Charles has picked up exactly where he left off last year. Thomas Jones doesn't even look better on short yardage. Charles has looked explosive in that area as well. Just look at last year's highlights of Charles. Many of them will show the way that he spears through on those short yardage situations. Jones will not be vulturing all of the TD's either. Doesn't matter that much anyways as Charles does his own work and can take his TD's to the house from anywhere on the field.

5x? How did you come up with that?

I don't see how you can say this when you consider the RBs on their roster and the limited number of carries to go around.
What makes you believe that Charles in the biggest injury risk compared to an aged RB and a diminutive WR/RB hybrid?

Ask any defensive SEC player from McFadden's college career what RB scared them the most, they'd say McFadden. He sucks as a Pro.Ask any Pac-10 defensive player from Reggie Bush's college career what RB scared them the most, they'd say Bush. He isn't much better.College "scary" doesn't = NFL "scary."

You would think that more people would have learned something last year when they projected a significant amount of carries for Harvin. We continually read projections of 30, 40, hell even 60 carries for Harvin this time last year. Harvin finished the season with a whopping 15 carries. Now here we are again with McCluster and the same ridiculous projections of huge amounts of carries. McCluster, like Harvin, is a WR. He was drafted to play WR and that will be his role in this offense. He will be lucky to see 25 carries this year. A realistic projection would be exactly what Harvin got IMO, 15.

You would think that more people would have learned something last year when they projected a significant amount of carries for Harvin. We continually read projections of 30, 40, hell even 60 carries for Harvin this time last year. Harvin finished the season with a whopping 15 carries. Now here we are again with McCluster and the same ridiculous projections of huge amounts of carries. McCluster, like Harvin, is a WR. He was drafted to play WR and that will be his role in this offense. He will be lucky to see 25 carries this year. A realistic projection would be exactly what Harvin got IMO, 15.
Wasn't Harvin more of a hybrid at the collegiate level though? I don't recall him ever having over 100 carries in a single season, let alone 181.

Wasn't Harvin more of a hybrid at the collegiate level though? I don't recall him ever having over 100 carries in a single season, let alone 181.
Both guys were hybrids playing in different offensive systems. Harvin was the best RB in the Florida roster. He had 83 carries as a sophomore and 70 as a junior. In Florida's offense that is a significant amount.

Both guys were hybrids playing in different offensive systems. Harvin was the best RB in the Florida roster. He had 83 carries as a sophomore and 70 as a junior. In Florida's offense that is a significant amount.
Harvin never had 181 carries in a college season, though, as McCluster did. But it is still college.However, Harvin doesn't weigh 170 lbs, either. When McCluster is in the game, the opposition D will know that there is some kind of gadget play, or run towards the edges. At 170, McCluster isn't going to be successful between the tackles. This is the main reason he won't get 70-100 carries, IMO.

that is quite apparent. Hopefully you will see it for your own sake before it's too late. Hint* It probably has tp do with you projecting McCluster for 4-5x as many carries as he will actually get.

Thomas Jones has not looked good. I would see no reason why he would get half the carries. That's just silly.

Jamaal Charles only had 190 carries last year and finished 11th in total points among RB's in my league. That was after only starting half the season. You say that you are crazy for drafting (in the 3rd round) a player who had the highest yards per carry in the NFL last year... along with being the first player in history to go over 1,100 yards in less than 200 carries?

Even the Coach has said that he will run with the back that gives them the best chance to win. How do you interpret that as an even split? Charles will get the lion's share of the carries...and he will produce big. There is nothing that would lead us to believe otherwise. Not his outstanding job after starting last year... or his great job this preseason. Charles is a stud.
This sort of thinking is delusional. Let me explain why.Last year, the Chiefs' non-QBs had 388 carries over the course of the season. That number may increase somewhat, but probably not be much. For the purposes of this analysis I will assume that there are 420 non-QB carries to go around--a 30 carry increase from last year. (By comparison, the Jets have roughly 500 carries to go around, which is why LT is so valuable). Also, for the purposes of this analysis I am assuming all three runners remain healthy. This probably helps Charles, because out of Jones, charles, and McCluster, charles is the biggest injury risk.

Thomas Jones has been atop the Chiefs' depth chart all offseason, and remains there going into week 1. Jones also possesses a different skillset than Charles, and will be in there on goalline and short yardage plays. At a minimum, these two factors (starting job, goal line carries) indicate that Jones will receive at least 35% of the team's RB carries (roughly 140). That's Jones' floor. His ceiling is probably around 170 carries.

Dexter McCluster was drafted in the early second round and is a dynamic runner, like Charles. He will play some wide receiver, but will also undoubtedly receive some carries (he had 181 carries last year in the SEC). I think he gets at least 70 carries on the season, and probably also eats into Charles' receptions. His ceiling is around 100 carries.

What does that leave for Charles? At best, if Jones only gets 140 carries, and McCluster only gets 70, Charles will be left with the remaining 210 carries. That's only 20 more than he had last year. At worst, if Jones gets, say, 170 carries and McCluster 100, Charles would only be left with 150 carries.

150-210 carries simply isn't worth a second or third round pick in most leagues, especially when you consider that Jones will get the goal line carries. Charles is MAYBE worth a late third round pick as a flex option, IF you assume that his yards per carry stay around 6. That is unlikely, but if you draft him in the third round that is what you have to believe.
Nothing that the coach has said so far would lead anyone to believe that they are going to split carries like that. Not only that, but you are completely ignoring Charles receiving ability and production. You have to be a bit insane if you honestly think that they would give Jones MORE carries than Charles, and McCluster 100 to Charles' 150. If all three stay healthy... there is no way on earth that is ever going to happen.

McCluster is NOT a threat to Charles' production. The man is not even on the team as a running back, he's a WR. Like I said before... at best he is a threat on the field that the defense will have to account for. That will only help Charles in the run AND receiving game. McCluster isn't going to get a bunch of carries or a bunch of receptions. He is going to a very useful novelty item that will keep the defense guessing and will probably provide a few big plays this year on offense or special teams. There is no possiblity that McCluster reaches anywhere even mildy close to 100 carries if all three guys stay healthy. That's just insane. He will be working in and out of slot receiver and as a kick returner with a handful of carries all year. I would guess that he will carry the ball less than 40 times from the RB position. I wouldn't be surprised to see it MUCH less than 40, but it won't go over 40 if they all stay healthy.

BTW... McCluster has NOT shown to be as much of a dynamic runner as Charles at the NFL level. Not even in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I have already addressed Thomas Jones as well. He has done nothing to show any reason why he would get equal or more carries than Charles. Jones looks slow and easy to bring down. Remindes me of S. Alexander a couple years ago. Charles has picked up exactly where he left off last year. Thomas Jones doesn't even look better on short yardage. Charles has looked explosive in that area as well. Just look at last year's highlights of Charles. Many of them will show the way that he spears through on those short yardage situations. Jones will not be vulturing all of the TD's either. Doesn't matter that much anyways as Charles does his own work and can take his TD's to the house from anywhere on the field.
I've watched the highlights and know Charles has ability. I'm not disputing that or ignoring it. What's important isn't how many carries you or I think Charles should get, but how many carries he will get. You don't seem to be considering that question--you just blindly compare the talent of the two players.Again, Jones is penciled in as the starting running back. He possesses certain skills and intangibles that Charles does not--experience, leadership, a track record of durability and toughness, and short yardage ability. More importantly, Haley seems dead set on giving him a significant number of carries. This is why I think Jones' floor is 140 carries. Notably, this could be less than what Charles receives(notice that in my earlier post that I said Charles could get up to 210 carries), but it will still put a big dent in Charles' numbers.

I'm sure Charles owners will whine about how much Jones sucks all season long, but that won't change the fact that he will get at least 140 carries.

As far as McCluster is concerned, he was a very successful tailback in college. He's not the equivalent of Harvin for several reasons: (1) he is much smaller, (2) he was more of a runner in college than Harvin was, and (3) his quarterback (Cassel) is not as skilled as Harvin's (Favre), so that getting the ball in McClusters hands will require a higher run:pass ratio. I said McCluster would get 70-100 carries, and I'll stick to that, although I think it will be closer to 70. This is only 4 or 5 carries a game. But it's enough to cut into Charles' numbers. You don't draft a guy like McCluster in the early second round and relegate him to kick return duties.

What makes you believe that Charles in the biggest injury risk compared to an aged RB and a diminutive WR/RB hybrid?
Thomas jones has missed three games in the last seven seasons, and the last game he missed was in 2005. The guy is a tank. He won't get hurt.McCluster could get hurt, but probably won't. He won't touch the ball enough to get hurt probably. McCluster is built much more solidly than Charles.

I've argued before that Charles is a huge injury risk because of the way he runs. He's like Jerious Norwood in this respect. He's already had a few nicks here and there. If he gets anywhere near the number of carries many on this board are projecting (250+) I think he stands a good chance of getting hurt.

Thomas jones has missed three games in the last seven seasons, and the last game he missed was in 2005. The guy is a tank. He won't get hurt.McCluster could get hurt, but probably won't. He won't touch the ball enough to get hurt probably. McCluster is built much more solidly than Charles.

I've argued before that Charles is a huge injury risk because of the way he runs. He's like Jerious Norwood in this respect. He's already had a few nicks here and there. If he gets anywhere near the number of carries many on this board are projecting (250+) I think he stands a good chance of getting hurt.
:confused: Contradict yourself much?

I've watched the highlights and know Charles has ability. I'm not disputing that or ignoring it. What's important isn't how many carries you or I think Charles should get, but how many carries he will get. You don't seem to be considering that question--you just blindly compare the talent of the two players.

Again, Jones is penciled in as the starting running back. He possesses certain skills and intangibles that Charles does not--experience, leadership, a track record of durability and toughness, and short yardage ability. More importantly, Haley seems dead set on giving him a significant number of carries. This is why I think Jones' floor is 140 carries. Notably, this could be less than what Charles receives(notice that in my earlier post that I said Charles could get up to 210 carries), but it will still put a big dent in Charles' numbers.

I'm sure Charles owners will whine about how much Jones sucks all season long, but that won't change the fact that he will get at least 140 carries.

As far as McCluster is concerned, he was a very successful tailback in college. He's not the equivalent of Harvin for several reasons: (1) he is much smaller, (2) he was more of a runner in college than Harvin was, and (3) his quarterback (Cassel) is not as skilled as Harvin's (Favre), so that getting the ball in McClusters hands will require a higher run:pass ratio. I said McCluster would get 70-100 carries, and I'll stick to that, although I think it will be closer to 70. This is only 4 or 5 carries a game. But it's enough to cut into Charles' numbers. You don't draft a guy like McCluster in the early second round and relegate him to kick return duties.
You've watched the highlights? How many games have you watched? I've watched plenty of them and Charles runs nothing like Norwood.

No, Haley seems dead set on giving the best player/hot hand the ball. He has stated this numerous times. Nothing has pointed to that being Jones. Nobody disputes that Jones could and likely will vulture some GL work. If Jones sucks all season long it's highly unlikely he will see the 140 carries you want to project because of the above. Actually I think for you're purposes the best thing you can hope for is that Jones sucks all season long. Then possibly McCluster gets more carries if he is up to the task.

OK and when did McCluster become the primary focus of the KC offense? The bolded is pure opinion on your part.

No, you draft a guy like McCluster in the 2nd round as a WR to play... WR! As explosive as he is it is a bonus that he will become your return guy as well.

I've watched the highlights and know Charles has ability. I'm not disputing that or ignoring it. What's important isn't how many carries you or I think Charles should get, but how many carries he will get. You don't seem to be considering that question--you just blindly compare the talent of the two players.

Again, Jones is penciled in as the starting running back. He possesses certain skills and intangibles that Charles does not--experience, leadership, a track record of durability and toughness, and short yardage ability. More importantly, Haley seems dead set on giving him a significant number of carries. This is why I think Jones' floor is 140 carries. Notably, this could be less than what Charles receives(notice that in my earlier post that I said Charles could get up to 210 carries), but it will still put a big dent in Charles' numbers.

You've watched the highlights? How many games have you watched? I've watched plenty of them and Charles runs nothing like Norwood.

No, Haley seems dead set on giving the best player/hot hand the ball. He has stated this numerous times. Nothing has pointed to that being Jones. Nobody disputes that Jones could and likely will vulture some GL work. If Jones sucks all season long it's highly unlikely he will see the 140 carries you want to project because of the above. Actually I think for you're purposes the best thing you can hope for is that Jones sucks all season long. Then possibly McCluster gets more carries if he is up to the task.

OK and when did McCluster become the primary focus of the KC offense? The bolded is pure opinion on your part.

No, you draft a guy like McCluster in the 2nd round as a WR to play... WR! As explosive as he is it is a bonus that he will become your return guy as well.
So in your opinion T. Jones will not get 140 carries this season? I'll take that bet.

So in your opinion T. Jones will not get 140 carries this season? I'll take that bet.
No, I said if T. Jones sucks all year (like you sighted) he won't get 140 carries.You think McCluster will get at least 70 carries. I'll take that bet easily.

No, I said if T. Jones sucks all year (like you sighted) he won't get 140 carries.You think McCluster will get at least 70 carries. I'll take that bet easily.
I'm not as sure about McCluster's carries. I think he'll get 70, but I'm not sure. T. Jones' carries are much more impactful on Charles' numbers, in any event.So, are we on for T. Jones? You take the under, I take the over, at 140 carries (9 carries per game)?

So, are we on for T. Jones? You take the under, I take the over, at 140 carries (9 carries per game)?
I never said I thought Jones wouldn't get 140 carries. Again, I said if he sucks all season long like you sighted he wouldn't. I don't think he sucks all season long and will at least have a few games where he plays well.You said McCluster would get anywhere from 70 - 100 carries. Here are your exact words:

Dexter McCluster was drafted in the early second round and is a dynamic runner, like Charles. He will play some wide receiver, but will also undoubtedly receive some carries (he had 181 carries last year in the SEC). I think he gets at least 70 carries on the season, and probably also eats into Charles' receptions. His ceiling is around 100 carries.

What does that leave for Charles? At best, if Jones only gets 140 carries, and McCluster only gets 70, Charles will be left with the remaining 210 carries. That's only 20 more than he had last year. At worst, if Jones gets, say, 170 carries and McCluster 100, Charles would only be left with 150 carries.
I'm giving you the option of taking the McCluster bet at a level you are most sure about according to your projections. Why all of a sudden are you not so sure about it? You are setting McCluster FLOOR at a level you aren't sure about now?

So, are we on for T. Jones? You take the under, I take the over, at 140 carries (9 carries per game)?
I never said I thought Jones wouldn't get 140 carries. Again, I said if he sucks all season long like you sighted he wouldn't. I don't think he sucks all season long and will at least have a few games where he plays well.You said McCluster would get anywhere from 70 - 100 carries. Here are your exact words:

I'm giving you the option of taking the McCluster bet at a level you are most sure about according to your projections. Why all of a sudden are you not so sure about it? You are setting McCluster FLOOR at a level you aren't sure about now?
I never said McCluster's floor is 70. If you mince my words, I said his ceiling is 100 and I think he will get at least 70. His floor is probably about 40 carries though, if he is used like Harvin. I'm not taking that bet.I'm glad to hear that you think Jones will get over 140 carries, because he will.

:confused: Contradict yourself much?
I don't see a contradiction in anything I said.
One guy won't get hurt because he hasn't since 2005 and he is a "tank." Another hasn't missed any games as a professional in 2 years yet is a huge risk to get injured. Now all of a sudden McCluster (5'8, 170) is built more solid than Charles (5'11, 200)?
McCluster bench pressed something like 25 reps at the combine. I'd like to see Charles do that. McCluster is solidly built, much moreso than Charles.I admit, my my opinion of charles being injury prone is based in large part on the way he runs and not on injury history. Call it a hunch.

The reason Jones was brought in I think, was more about intangibles than playing ability. He brings veteran presence and a winning mentality to a team in lack of it. He will mentor Charles, learn him to take the right risks and to preserve his body. Charles will only become better because of it. Who cares if Jones will spell him during a game, this will only help Charles play 16 games. It is apparent to all that watches tape, that Charles is the superior player. Haley knows this, but he wants to pressure Charles, make him the best he can be. So he brings in competition as well as a mentor. And a player who can carry the load, should it be needed.

Charles is the best player on the Chiefs team, and he will fullfill his potential with a full season as the starter, or at least the guy who gets the majority of the touches in the backfield.

I never said McCluster's floor is 70. If you mince my words, I said his ceiling is 100 and I think he will get at least 70. His floor is probably about 40 carries though, if he is used like Harvin. I'm not taking that bet.I'm glad to hear that you think Jones will get over 140 carries, because he will.
You realize if they use him like Harvin then his floor is about 15 carries? You know, the # of carries Harvin actually got last year despite so many predicting 40+ carries. I mean, that's only 2-3 carries/game, right? :confused: McCluster is essentially 0 threat to Charles in terms of carries. While I love Charles and think he will be the primary ball carrier, I'm quite sure T. Jones is still going to get his share and I think 140 is easily a floor for him and he'll probably get in the 170-180 range. I don't think Charles gets more than 225 carries and most likely a little less. But, I also think Charles is going to get a boatload of targets in the passing game and he's easily going to be a 250+ touch RB when you combine them. If he continues his current rate of production, which I think he will, that is more than enough touches to make him fantasy relevant. I think he's going to have a minimum of 1400 combined yards with 50+ catches. The TDs will be interesting and difficult to predict with Jones in the mix, but at that point, it's just gravy. In PPR leagues, Charles is going to help carry some teams for sure.

You realize if they use him like Harvin then his floor is about 15 carries? You know, the # of carries Harvin actually got last year despite so many predicting 40+ carries. I mean, that's only 2-3 carries/game, right? :confused: McCluster is essentially 0 threat to Charles in terms of carries. While I love Charles and think he will be the primary ball carrier, I'm quite sure T. Jones is still going to get his share and I think 140 is easily a floor for him and he'll probably get in the 170-180 range. I don't think Charles gets more than 225 carries and most likely a little less. But, I also think Charles is going to get a boatload of targets in the passing game and he's easily going to be a 250+ touch RB when you combine them. If he continues his current rate of production, which I think he will, that is more than enough touches to make him fantasy relevant. I think he's going to have a minimum of 1400 combined yards with 50+ catches. The TDs will be interesting and difficult to predict with Jones in the mix, but at that point, it's just gravy. In PPR leagues, Charles is going to help carry some teams for sure.
When I say "used like Harvin" I don't mean equivalent statistics. I mean, used almost exclusively as a slot receiver and not as a wildcat qb or halfback. McCluster will easily exceed 15 carries, you can bank on it. He probably isn't a huge threat to Charles carry-wise, but the whole point of this exercise is allocating the Chiefs 420 carries. He has to be factored in.I actually think McCluster's biggest impact on Charles will be in the receiving game. I think McCluster is a better blocker than Charles, and will be in there as a tailback on 3rd downs sometimes. I don't see Charles getting 50 catches; 30-40 is more realistic, in my view.

I never said I thought Jones wouldn't get 140 carries. Again, I said if he sucks all season long like you sighted he wouldn't. I don't think he sucks all season long and will at least have a few games where he plays well.

You said McCluster would get anywhere from 70 - 100 carries. Here are your exact words:

When I say "used like Harvin" I don't mean equivalent statistics. I mean, used almost exclusively as a slot receiver and not as a wildcat qb or halfback. McCluster will easily exceed 15 carries, you can bank on it. He probably isn't a huge threat to Charles carry-wise, but the whole point of this exercise is allocating the Chiefs 420 carries. He has to be factored in.I actually think McCluster's biggest impact on Charles will be in the receiving game. I think McCluster is a better blocker than Charles, and will be in there as a tailback on 3rd downs sometimes. I don't see Charles getting 50 catches; 30-40 is more realistic, in my view.
First of all, I didn't realize KC was slotted to just 420 carries as a team. They bring in a RB like T. Jones. They bring in McCluster that everyone is convinced will be a part of the running game. And, they have a dynamic runner who proved his worth last year yet they are going to run fewer times than last year's 438 carries? That number is gonna go down, not up. The direction of this football team is changing.

Secondly, you think 30-40 is more realistic when Charles ALREADY had 40 last year and the guy didn't become the starter until week 10? Really? You think he's going to average less than 2 catches/game? Even as a rookie in limited time, the guy had 27 receptions and you think he's only gonna get 30 or so catches this year when he's the main guy in town? :shrug:

You're more than entitled to your opinion on how it will shake out, but I hope you realize that you are actually bucking the current trends of what's already happened and the direction the team is moving.

Just because Jones hasn't missed must time since 2005 doesn't guarantee that he won't miss time this year or continue to be as ineffective as he has been in the preseason. Father time is catching up with him and the Jets realized that.Your comments about McCluster being built more solidly than Charles is funny. McCluster is 5"8" and weighs 165lbs. Charles is 5'11" and weighs 199lbs. I don't care how you slice it, McCluster is not more solid than Charles.

Charles, much like Chris Johnson, is faster than most RBs in the league. Their speed is something that helps them avoid squared-up hits.

I'm not buying your theories. Sorry.

McCluster bench pressed something like 25 reps at the combine. I'd like to see Charles do that.
First, McCluster benched 20 reps, not 25, and second who cares? How often do RBs use their arms to push someone off of them? The only time I can think of is in certain blocking situations. If you think that the 170 lb McCluster is going to be a 3rd-down back because of his blocking ability (despite how "solidly built" he is), you're more nuts that your posts indicate.
McCluster is solidly built, much moreso than Charles.
McCluster is 5'8", 170 lbs, Charles is 5'11", 199. Charles weighs 29 more lbs, spread out over 3 more inches. To me that doesn't indicate that either is more solidly built, especially McCluster.

And Charles ran a 4.38 40 at his combine, McCluster? A 4.58.

Charles is bigger and faster, but you think the Chiefs are going to take carries away from the bigger, faster RB to give them to the smaller, slower WR? OK.

The "body type" injury predictions are some of my favorite in Shark Pool shtick. Never before the Reggie Bush threads had so many grown men discussed the thickness of another grown man's ankles.

I really want to draft Jamaal Charles (big $ draft is today) and I've waffled on him for about a month now. I don't want to let this Haley-Jones-McCluster nonsense scare me away.

The fact is that Charles was the most explosive RB outside of CJ2K at the close of last season and the Chiefs can't be any worse. I just have to come to terms with taking Charles over the other RBs who could still be on the board in early round 2 (guys like SJax, Mathews, Mendy, DWill, Grant and Benson).

That's a tough decision.

"McCluster is 5'8", 170 lbs, Charles is 5'11", 199.

Charles weighs 29 more lbs, spread out over 3 more inches. To me that doesn't indicate that either is more solidly built, especially McCluster."

I dont buy much into the size argument other than with the guys who are extreme outliers but I wish folks would stop with just the height weight thing. First off we have no idea where these guys are currently at, if you put a lot of stock into just height and weight, then 3-5 pounds should be important to you and I guarantee these guys have their weight fluctuate that much if not more for some other rb's. Secondly, again if you really want to get into body type and all that, listing height/weight is just one data point and perhaps not the most important one. Where the rb carries the weight would seem to be important too no? Two guys both 5'11ish 199ish can have very different bodies. If you wanna use the size argument, really go into it, listing heights and weights that are probably a little off to begin with doesnt seem to mean much.

Charles is big enough, hes more than fast enough. Ive seen all the stats put out on weight and injury probability but those only look back, not forward and dont account for a ton of things. Best of luck to everyone this year!

At our draft Charles fell to 4.06 (12 team) behind the likes of Forte, Best, Pierre, etc.He was the 20th RB taken.
Hard to say how much value was there without knowing your roster req's and scoring system.He fell to 4.05 in mine, but he was the 13th RB taken.

How the hell could Charles fall behind Forte?!?! Bears look awful.

I'm drafting in just a few hours and want to take Charles in the early 2nd round. I'm considering taking him over SJax, Dwill, Mathews, Grant, Benson, Roddy White and Reggie Wayne. Am I nuts?

Users who are viewing this thread