What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermichael Finley's dynasty worth? (1 Viewer)

He's worth a top 3 rookie pick for sure. As far as player vs player value, he's worth as much as any QB to those who need a top TE for years to come. He's worth more than someone like Stephen Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner. Keep in mind this is dynasty I'm talking about, so age and wear and tear does factor into the discussion. Even MJD is now in the discussion as far as comparing value due to his most recent issues with bone on bone. He's also worth more than Greg Jennings and Bowe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in a 1.5 ppr for TEs dynasty league he was basically traded for Ray Rice. Only tight end in a dynasty id take over him is Vernon.

He's worth a top 3 rookie pick for sure. As far as player vs player value, he's worth as much as any QB to those who need a top TE for years to come. He's worth more than someone like Stephen Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner. Keep in mind this is dynasty I'm talking about, so age and wear and tear does factor into the discussion. Even MJD is now in the discussion as far as comparing value due to his most recent issues with bone on bone. He's also worth more than Greg Jennings and Bowe.
Boy that's a lot.

Boy that's a lot.
Yes, but it's a fact of life in the fantasy world we live in.

I play in a league where TE's get 1 pt per 10 compared to other positions with .5 per 10, and I dont trade him for the 1.1 pick in this draft. Would take more than that and agree with the guy who listed a bunch of vets. Gates has been gold for many years and that is what I expect out of Finley for many years. .5 PPR also and in 2009 only Johnson, Peterson and Jones Drew beat Clark, Gates and Vernon. 2010 was Foster over Witten only. And since I dont like RB much because of career length, I would say it would take your best player plus to take the young guy off my hands in this type of league. Now we can start 2 QB in my league so lots of them(even though I own Rivers and Flacco).

Although I may not agree, I can understand your argument about Jackson, Wayne, Gore, and Turner. They are older and who knows how many years of productivity they have left. If I was trading one of them for Finley I would want to get something else in return. I completely disagree about Jennings however. I guess you expect Finely to be a stud for the next ten years? I guess I feel like it's a lot to assume Finely is definitely going to be the next Antonio Gates.

Although I may not agree, I can understand your argument about Jackson, Wayne, Gore, and Turner. They are older and who knows how many years of productivity they have left. If I was trading one of them for Finley I would want to get something else in return.

I completely disagree about Jennings however. I guess you expect Finely to be a stud for the next ten years? I guess I feel like it's a lot to assume Finely is definitely going to be the next Antonio Gates.
I don't feel like Finley is going to be the next Antonio Gates, he's going to be better than Antonio Gates. Also, not sure why you feel you need "something else in return" for Jackson, Wayne, Gore, and Turner. A name is just a name.

Moonlight_Graham said:
There is no way he is worth more than MJD, Jackson, or Turner.

Moonlight_Graham said:
Skeletore Eh said:
Moonlight_Graham said:
Although I may not agree, I can understand your argument about Jackson, Wayne, Gore, and Turner. They are older and who knows how many years of productivity they have left. If I was trading one of them for Finley I would want to get something else in return.

I completely disagree about Jennings however. I guess you expect Finely to be a stud for the next ten years? I guess I feel like it's a lot to assume Finely is definitely going to be the next Antonio Gates.
I don't feel like Finley is going to be the next Antonio Gates, he's going to be better than Antonio Gates. Also, not sure why you feel you need "something else in return" for Jackson, Wayne, Gore, and Turner. A name is just a name.
So he's going to be the most productive TE in the history of the league. I guess it's possible, but I don't know why people are thinking it's an automatic that he's a 1st ballot HOF TE. I will not be buying this Finley fellow in any leagues it looks like.

As far as dynasty TEs, Finley is an absolute top 2 stud, together with Vernon Davis. Can't think of a higher upside TE to build a dynasty around. Gates and Dallas Clark are getting there in age and dings, they are only worth acquiring if you are looking to win now.

The value compared to RBs and WRs will depend a lot on scoring type and lineup requirements. In regular format, I'd say the 1.03 or an aging low-end RB1 like S-Jax is reasonable price. MJD or Gore seems like a bit too much, but I can see why a rebuilding team would do it.

Moonlight_Graham said:
I can say for certain, that if the owner of any of the 3 approached me for Finley straight up the answer is "no" (especially given MJD's recent injury revelation). So he is in my case. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

ONe must remember. That the Finley bandwagon has been in full exposure for over a year now. Those that own Finley will want a ton since they probably acquired him in the last year or were high from the get go. Those that want Finley are hoping for a low price still but since he is not a hot FA pickup like Foster, Hillis, Lloyd type of guy anymore that owners might want to part with while the value is hot. Most Finley owners will believe he is the 2nd coming of Antonio Gates and this increases his price. I am in this mode and it would take alot for me to acquire him. And now that it is off-season and teams are not in the panic mode anymore, that will increase his price. The time to get him was last off-season or after his injury to a SB contender. Now wont be the time unless an owner has panicked and thinks he is an injury risk. It will happen but not often.

All depends on the scoring and starting requirements. He could be worth multiple 1sts or a single late 1st.
In a rookie dynasty draft, who would you get with that late first that will give you anywhere close to Finley's value? Or even with those multiple 1sts - who will you get at, say, 1.07 and 1.12 that will make you give up Finley for the two picks? If a Finley owner came to me with those demands, I would accept in a heartbeat.

All depends on the scoring and starting requirements. He could be worth multiple 1sts or a single late 1st.
In a rookie dynasty draft, who would you get with that late first that will give you anywhere close to Finley's value? Or even with those multiple 1sts - who will you get at, say, 1.07 and 1.12 that will make you give up Finley for the two picks? If a Finley owner came to me with those demands, I would accept in a heartbeat.
this

Did you not see where i said it depends on scoring and lineup? And who said anything about 1.07 and 1.12. Perhaps i was talking about 1.01 and 1.02.

Shawnky said:
Tickle Monster said:
Wow. Didn't realize his value was that high. Should I try and shop him around?
If I could get a top 3 pick, I definitely would.
The guy hasn't had even 1 elite year yet. And he is coming off a serious injury. If someone would pay this kind of value I would definitely shop him.

Shawnky said:
Tickle Monster said:
Wow. Didn't realize his value was that high. Should I try and shop him around?
If I could get a top 3 pick, I definitely would.
The guy hasn't had even 1 elite year yet. And he is coming off a serious injury. If someone would pay this kind of value I would definitely shop him.
Yeah, but he's still a highly desirable trade target. I have proof of this :thumbup: Yes, he's worth a top half draft pick no doubt.

Let's put it this way, where will Mikel Leshoure and Ryan Williams get drafted? You think for one second I would give up Finley for one of them? Hell no I wouldn't.

I see him as a mid to late 1st in 1.5 TE PPR which is the majority of leagues I play. I know the infatuation factor and he does look completely dominant at times but the injury risk is too much for me to give a top 4 or even multiple 1st rounders. The dude has had multiple knee issues at his young age and his long limbed body type isn't built for the long haul like a Vernon or Gates. Another aspect I take into consideration is the fact that the Packers have gotten used to winning without him, and Rodgers may not be so reliant on him down the road.

I see him as a mid to late 1st in 1.5 TE PPR which is the majority of leagues I play. I know the infatuation factor and he does look completely dominant at times but the injury risk is too much for me to give a top 4 or even multiple 1st rounders. The dude has had multiple knee issues at his young age and his long limbed body type isn't built for the long haul like a Vernon or Gates.
So you think guys like Ryan Williams, Mikel Leshoure, Titus Young, Jon Baldwin, Dion Lewis, and Daniel Thomas are worth more than Finley in a 1.5 TE ppr? Surely you jest.

JohnnyU,

It depends on team need, but I own Dallas Clark and would move Finley before Clark. So yes depending where LeShoure or Williams land, or Julio or Green I take them over Finley. Finley hasn't completed ONE full season. I'm very anti injury. I know you can counter and say Clark has been injured and is older but the Colts continue to rely on the TE where Rodgers just finds someone else.

Moonlight_Graham said:
I believe this is a dynasty thread. How much longer will MJD, Jackson or Turner be very good RB's? Now compare this to how long Finley is likely to be an elite TE and you've corrected your own statement.

Moonlight_Graham said:
I can say for certain, that if the owner of any of the 3 approached me for Finley straight up the answer is "no" (especially given MJD's recent injury revelation). So he is in my case. I'm guessing I'm not alone.
You're not. In my dynasty, I'm holding Finley and considering shopping Turner. Turner is moving up in age and has less value in PPR format - which of course boosts Finley.The Finley hype was out of control last year but he is young, a physical mismatch and on a high powered offense. The knee is the only real concern here.

I don't know if the torn meniscus itself should be more of a concern than any other semi-major injury on a young NFL player. Finley is 23, at this age stuff heals fast and well. Pettigrew had a much more serious injury and seems to be hopping around just fine. I would be more bothered by the staph infection after the first surgery, but then again Brady apparently had the same thing and also looks fine.

In the 12 games after Finley became the starter and before the injury, he averaged 5.4 rec for 73 yards per game. That's decent WR2 numbers. Assuming you have to start a TE, this type of production gives you a significant edge over the vast majority of opponents. I really wish some owner would come and offer me Finley for a mid-first. Judging by this thread, there should be bunch of those folks around.......yet something tells me none of them would actually make that trade.

Moonlight_Graham said:
You're not. In my dynasty, I'm holding Finley and considering shopping Turner. Turner is moving up in age and has less value in PPR format - which of course boosts Finley.The Finley hype was out of control last year but he is young, a physical mismatch and on a high powered offense. The knee is the only real concern here.
Getting into a tweet war with your franchise QB during SB week isn't exactly a great thing either: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...onds-to-rodgers

Getting into a tweet war with your franchise QB during SB week isn't exactly a great thing either: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...onds-to-rodgers
Did you read the story you quoted??The last line of your so called "tweet war with his franchise QB" was "I’m a packer for life, AROD is my guy!” Hardly throwing his QB under the bus on that one.

None of that changes his trade value - not nearly as much as his relative age compared to the others in the discussion.

Anyone that has owned Gates understands the value of the "Gates factor" - (it also has been generically called "X-value" when applied to other positions) - that is that Gates usually so outperforms other TEs on a weekly basis, it's like having a bonus player. It can make up for other weaknesses in your roster, it can cover an off week by one of your other studs, etc. Finley has the possibility of being that type of TE. Is it a given? No. Is it a better bet with him than virtually any other TE (player?)? IMHO, yes. I have owned Gates for the last seven years in a dynasty league. I have won the Championship 3 times - in large part because of him.

Finley looks like he could be the Gates of 6 or so years ago. If he is, he is difficult to trade away for anything other than a a complete uber-stud at any other position.

In the 12 games after Finley became the starter and before the injury, he averaged 5.4 rec for 73 yards per game. That's decent WR2 numbers. Assuming you have to start a TE, this type of production gives you a significant edge over the vast majority of opponents. I really wish some owner would come and offer me Finley for a mid-first. Judging by this thread, there should be bunch of those folks around.......yet something tells me none of them would actually make that trade.
This thread got me crunching numbers to check my gut feeling. Here are the averages for the past two years of other top TE, playoffs excluded:Antonio Gates, 26 games, 5.0 receptions per game, 74.6 yards per gameVernon Davis, 32 games, 4.2 receptions per game, 58.7 yards per gameDallas Clark, 22 games, 6.2 receptions per game, 66.0 yards per gameThen I projected Finley's numbers. In four 2010 games, he had 21 rec, 301 yards. Prorated for 16 games = 84 rec, 1204 yards.Small sample size? Let's use his 12 games as a starter. In twelve games, he had 65 rec, 876 yards. Prorated for 16 games = 87 rec, 1168 yards. Time will tell if can indeed post those numbers, but clearly for now the young Antonio Gates comparisons are more than legit.

I just traded him away in a non-ppr dynasty league for Vernon Davis and the second overall pick. the guy with the first pick has ZERO need for a WR and desperately needs RBs so hopefully AJ will be available.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
I just traded him away in a non-ppr dynasty league for Vernon Davis and the second overall pick. the guy with the first pick has ZERO need for a WR and desperately needs RBs so hopefully AJ will be available.
Why would someone trade Vernon AND the 1.02 for Finley? Not sure id trade Vernon straight up for him and i love Finley.

Moonlight_Graham said:
Skeletore Eh said:
Moonlight_Graham said:

Well its not just a name, it's a name that is also a #1 RB or #1 WR for the next two to three years.

JohnnyU,It depends on team need, but I own Dallas Clark and would move Finley before Clark. So yes depending where LeShoure or Williams land, or Julio or Green I take them over Finley. Finley hasn't completed ONE full season. I'm very anti injury. I know you can counter and say Clark has been injured and is older but the Colts continue to rely on the TE where Rodgers just finds someone else.
When Finley is on the field, he is a main target for Rodgers, so I think he is just as valuable as Clark. I remember Rodgers saying in an interview after Finley was put on IR and was rehabbing, that it wasn't easy adjusting to playing without Finley because he was such a huge part of their offense, and he added that his big personality was missed in the locker room and sideline too.

I was recently made this offer (and turned it down) in a ppr dynasty league:

Boldin

1st round pick (very late pick)

3rd round pick (middle pick)

for

Finley

J. Graham

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Why would someone trade Vernon AND the 1.02 for Finley? Not sure id trade Vernon straight up for him and i love Finley.
he is fairly loaded and he really isn't all that high on VD based on the unknown QB situation. I was more than willing to oblige as I need a playmaking WR and I don't think I'm gonna lose a ton with VD.

I was recently made this offer (and turned it down) in a ppr dynasty league:Boldin1st round pick (very late pick)3rd round pick (middle pick)forFinleyJ. Graham
Were you getting the Boldin side or the Finley side? I would much rather have Finley in this trade

I was recently made this offer (and turned it down) in a ppr dynasty league:Boldin1st round pick (very late pick)3rd round pick (middle pick)forFinleyJ. Graham
Were you getting the Boldin side or the Finley side? I would much rather have Finley in this trade
I have Finley & Graham (as well as Pettigrew). He basically wanted to pilfer my very good young talent at TE. Unless someone really blows me away with an offer, I have no intentions on moving Finley.

Anyone think Tim Tebow, 1.07 and the 2.05 for JerMichael Finley is fair? Or should the owner ask for more?

Boy that's a lot.
Yes, but it's a fact my opinion of life in the fantasy world we live in.
fixed

Finley is not doubt valuable, but he is not worth more than MJD, and probably not worth as much as Bowe or Jennings unless TE's get more points for reception or yardage.

Boy that's a lot.
fixed

Finley is not doubt valuable, but he is not worth more than MJD, and probably not worth as much as Bowe or Jennings unless TE's get more points for reception or yardage.
:goodposting: These people are insane.

Boy that's a lot.
fixed

:goodposting: These people are insane.
Dont get me wrong, i like Finley as much as the next guy, but i only hope he can put up 80-90% of the numbers Jennings or Bowe will put up each year. Plus, this isnt 1998 anymore where there were only 3 or 4 TE's worth anything. With veterans like Chris Cooley, Owen Daniels, Kellen Winslow etc. capable of 800 yards and 7-8 TD's. Youngsters like Gronk, Gresham, Pettigrew, Graham etc. all potential 800+ yards 10 TD guys, the top few TEs are not as valaiuble as they used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread