What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jon Gruden fired in TB (1 Viewer)

geneyus

Footballguy
Wow, didn't see this coming. Adam Schefter just anounced it on NFL Network.

Last edited by a moderator:
WHAT WHAT WHAT???

I wonder who Tampa thinks they can get to replace him, they've already missed out on some good candidates.

If this is true, it doesn't make any sense, why fire a good (dare I say great) coach? This makes zero sense.

Are we at the point now if you don't make it to the Super Bowl at least every 5 years you just fire the coach?

If the Chiefs are smart, fire Herm NOW and go get Gruden NOW.

I've been a big Gruden guy, but that was a pretty inexcusable collapse. I'm sure the Glazers saw Arizona and Philly in the NFCCG and decided that was it.

That said, I'm shocked. They must have something in place.

I've been a big Gruden guy, but that was a pretty inexcusable collapse. I'm sure the Glazers saw Arizona and Philly in the NFCCG and decided that was it.That said, I'm shocked. They must have something in place.
Shanahan to Tampa Bay?

Buccaneers.com

Allen, Gruden Dismissed

Jan 16, 2009 -

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers today announced that they have dismissed head coach Jon Gruden and General Manager Bruce Allen.

“We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,” said Buccaneers Co-Chairman Joel Glazer. “However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.”

wow. they have to be lining up Shanny. crazy to drop Gruden this year given the lack of available HCs right now. Shanny is the only one i could see being an upgrade over gruden

I've been a big Gruden guy, but that was a pretty inexcusable collapse. I'm sure the Glazers saw Arizona and Philly in the NFCCG and decided that was it.

Shanahan to Tampa Bay?
That has to be what it is. You don't fire a guy unless you got a better guy lined up.
Then why did they fire Gruden possibly for Shanny?

I've been a big Gruden guy, but that was a pretty inexcusable collapse. I'm sure the Glazers saw Arizona and Philly in the NFCCG and decided that was it.That said, I'm shocked. They must have something in place.
Shanahan to Tampa Bay?
That has to be what it is. You don't fire a guy unless you got a better guy lined up.
I'm not sure Shanny is better.Cowher.. you have my attention. Shanny....lateral move IMO

The timing is what strikes me as bizarre. Almost like they wanted to make it difficult for him to land with another team. I would imagine there are several potential HC's who thought they had new gigs lined up that are starting to sweat now.

Lastly, if Tampa doesn't have someone lined up they are idiots...

:shock: Didn't see that one coming.

It would be interesting to see if Chucky would land in KC. Then he could torment Al Davis twice a year... :shock:

If they have someone lined up, he better be a minority else they run afoul of the Rooney Rule.

Leslie Frazier? He does run a version of the Tampa 2 here in Minnesota.

Shanahan to Tampa Bay?
Then why did they fire Gruden possibly for Shanny?
They fired Gruden because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl. And they are going to hire Shanahan who was fired because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl?

If they have someone lined up, he better be a minority else they run afoul of the Rooney Rule.
Or it could be Raheem Morris. The Glazers knew they were losing him next year, if not before, and maybe decided it was in the best interests of the franchise just to cut bait now so they don't lose a young guy like Tomlin or Wisenhunt (sp?). I'm assuming it will be either Shanny or Morris.

I'm not sure I pin it on Gruden. The D rolled over and died the minute Monty said he was Rocky Top bound.The D gave up 38,13,41,31 over the last 4 weeks.The O was stil putting up respectable numbers which were enough to win football games.

Buccaneers.com

Allen, Gruden Dismissed

Jan 16, 2009 -

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers today announced that they have dismissed head coach Jon Gruden and General Manager Bruce Allen.

“We will be forever grateful to Jon Tony Dungy for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,” said Buccaneers Co-Chairman Joel Glazer. “However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.”

Or it could be Raheem Morris. The Glazers knew they were losing him next year, if not before, and maybe decided it was in the best interests of the franchise just to cut bait now so they don't lose a young guy like Tomlin or Wisenhunt (sp?). I'm assuming it will be either Shanny or Morris.
Ah. His name has been thrown out a lot hasn't it? Good call. :shock:

Someone wanna tell me why Gruden is so great?

He won a SB with Dungy's team...he finished what Dungy couldnt do but that team was ready...

He has won ZERO playoff games since the SB even though they have hosted a few...and they hadnt had back to back winning season with him since he got to Tampa until this year and last...

I dont see the greatness...do I think he is good, yes, do I think he is so great as to not be fired, no way...

Wow. With both Shanahan and Gruden floating around, I wouldn't be shocked to see Jerry Jones change his mind about keeping Wade Phillips.

If they have someone lined up, he better be a minority else they run afoul of the Rooney Rule.Leslie Frazier? He does run a version of the Tampa 2 here in Minnesota.
Yeah, there's no way they give a couple of token interviews to minorities, then hand the job to the guy they have lined up. :unsure:

Buccaneers.com

Allen, Gruden Dismissed

Jan 16, 2009 -

“We will be forever grateful to Jon Tony Dungy for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise,” said Buccaneers Co-Chairman Joel Glazer. “However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward.”
I hate this stupid, braindead argument, but you may want to go check those playoff scores for the two years before that before you go shouting off about that topic. Dungy's teams were butchered in back to back years by the Eagles, while Gruden took them up there and won the NFCCG in that yard.But thanks for showing off your GED.

If this is true, it doesn't make any sense, why fire a good (dare I say great) coach? This makes zero sense.

Are we at the point now if you don't make it to the Super Bowl at least every 5 years you just fire the coach?

If the Chiefs are smart, fire Herm NOW and go get Gruden NOW.
The Glazers must be used to seeing success every year now that they own Man United.

Wow - Ryan, Spags and now Gruden available? Its Christmas for a Jets fan! Even Woody can't screw this one up.....could he????

Someone wanna tell me why Gruden is so great? He won a SB with Dungy's team...he finished what Dungy couldnt do but that team was ready...He has won ZERO playoff games since the SB even though they have hosted a few...and they hadnt had back to back winning season with him since he got to Tampa until this year and last...I dont see the greatness...do I think he is good, yes, do I think he is so great as to not be fired, no way...
If TB was Dungy's team, the team they beat in the superbowl [Oakland] was Gruden's team. Either way Gruden gets credit for getting a team to the SB. Given the horribleness of the Raiders since Gruden's been gone, he is much beloved among us Raider fans.

Someone wanna tell me why Gruden is so great? He won a SB with Dungy's team...he finished what Dungy couldnt do but that team was ready...He has won ZERO playoff games since the SB even though they have hosted a few...and they hadnt had back to back winning season with him since he got to Tampa until this year and last...I dont see the greatness...do I think he is good, yes, do I think he is so great as to not be fired, no way...
If TB was Dungy's team, the team they beat in the superbowl [Oakland] was Gruden's team. Either way Gruden gets credit for getting a team to the SB. Given the horribleness of the Raiders since Gruden's been gone, he is much beloved among us Raider fans.
I actually will give him credit for getting Oakland there...still, he has done NOTHING the last 5 years...

If this is true, it doesn't make any sense, why fire a good (dare I say great) coach? This makes zero sense. Are we at the point now if you don't make it to the Super Bowl at least every 5 years you just fire the coach? If the Chiefs are smart, fire Herm NOW and go get Gruden NOW.
They could also let Herm finish the last year of the contract and target a new coach next year, when Cowher or the like is available. I think its takes more than 1 year to turn that franchise around.

Capella said:
Andy Dufresne said:
This HAS to be it. Shanny is not an improvement, he's had teams fall apart on him over and over again. I watched this team fall apart just like everyone else, but I still didn't expect this. Especially after losing Kiffin. And getting rid of Allen? 2009 might be an ugly year.

vikingdave said:
He should have gone to the SB with the raiders. Then his team did go to the SB, which he destroyed. He won a SB. Clearly he should be a coach not a GM imho. But he's done a lot more in his young career then most coaches in the NFL.

Underrated note to all of this is that the Glazers just inked Gruden and Allen to 3-year extensions after LAST year...they don't kick in until 2009.

That's six (six!!) years of contracts they're paying off. They must have been molten hot after seeing that collapse.

vikingdave said:
Delusions Of Adequacy said:
vikingdave said:
I actually will give him credit for getting Oakland there...still, he has done NOTHING the last 5 years...
I'd listen to him. When it comes to having no playoff succcess over the past several seasons Vikings Fans definitely know of where they speak.

Users who are viewing this thread