What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Waldman: 75% chance Bridgwater falls due to racism (3 Viewers)

Speculating on racism is kinda pointless because it is impossible to prove or disprove and nobody will admit to doing it. I bet there is racism in the NFL but not any more or less than there is in the rest of society. Who knows if a team that passes on him is racist or just terrible at evaluating talent? Maybe a little bit of both? What is the percentage? It is impossible to know.
Don't forget that the teams who pass on him just might be GOOD at evaluating talent.

I've been arguing for a long time that there's a greater than 75% chance he falls because he's too damn skinny (which tends to affect arm strength aside from being bad on it's own) and he takes way too many sacks for a guy who operates in the pocket most of the time (which is doubly bad for ridiculously skinny QBs).
This is why he may fall. IMO.

Good thing Waldman left himself 25% of wiggle room.

He's 208lbs and ran a 4.8 40 ... The only reason he is being considered a top half of the first round pick is because he's black.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think race is a whole lot less of a factor than looks and a players ability to smooz the public at a press conference. Lets say we have two qb's being considered to be drafted #1 overall, one is a Brady type or even Namath back in the day. Good looking, articulate and just smooth as silk with the media. Also let's say he is black even though the first two examples are not. The second is white but is less attractive, aloof and can't put two sentences together. Remember the talent is perceived to be equal. Who do you think gets drafted #1?

Ok, now lets say the less than attractive white guy is perceived to be marginally better than the black guy with the golden smile? He still goes #2 behind the more marketable guy. The only way the geeky white guy goes ahead of the marketable ( black, Hispanic or ?) is if his on the field talent totally trumps the talent of the other guy in question (see Andrew Luck for example who my daughter says is homely).

Why do you think the Jets took Sanchez so high? They were hoping for him to blossom and the marketing for a pretty boy on broadway again would be huge. On top of that you had a guy with Hispanic heritage, cha ching. There will come a day soon when a black QB will be the next Tom Brady and none of this racist talk will mean squat. I'd argue it may well even be a bonus for him to be a minority not a detriment.

Jameis Winston if he could ever get rid of the early baggage I think has a chance. If not it's only a matter of time and I for one can't wait. I know there will be certain guys on PTI and every other sports talk show who will try and stir up the racist pot because of the guy's heritage but it will only be the typical over-blown bs they always like to harp on.

I don't see where MJ or Lebron are being held back by their ethnicity? I'd argue being a minority is a bonus and not a negative when it comes to a teams marketing. There is nothing holding back Teddy Bridgewater aside from the fact his talent isn't overwelming and his marketability is limited. Race has nothing to do with his draft status being lowered and anyone arguing that is just looking for a way to stir up some controversy that in reality doesn't exist.

Etc. Are we really going to read the minds of these guys somehow?
"indefensible" and "groundless" are words that you threw around with just as little ability to "read into some GM's or owner's mind."

For the record, I don't think Bridgewater will fall out of the top 10 - and if he does I don't think it will be because of outright or indirect racism, but I can't outright dismiss the possibility as a matter of fact. Just like Matt, it would be my opinion that he fell for other reasons (i.e. poor pro-day, slight build)

I think what people may be missing here, is this is one man putting something out there that he beleives may be at least food for thought. People just seem to get so offended when anyone even raises the notion that racism, on any level, may just still exist in 2014.
I just thought I would follow up by saying I've read this over and agree with it. I overstated the case, so I struck out that last sentence I wrote. I will add that the kind of indirect racism discussed in the podcast does undeniably exist, so no one can outright dismiss the possibility either, I just got caught up in trying to see how that could ever factor into a draft analysis. I agree it's more than worthy as food for thought, but I'm not sure these threads ever end well in any case. Thanks.

Etc. Are we really going to read the minds of these guys somehow?
"indefensible" and "groundless" are words that you threw around with just as little ability to "read into some GM's or owner's mind."

For the record, I don't think Bridgewater will fall out of the top 10 - and if he does I don't think it will be because of outright or indirect racism, but I can't outright dismiss the possibility as a matter of fact. Just like Matt, it would be my opinion that he fell for other reasons (i.e. poor pro-day, slight build)

I think what people may be missing here, is this is one man putting something out there that he beleives may be at least food for thought. People just seem to get so offended when anyone even raises the notion that racism, on any level, may just still exist in 2014.
I just thought I would follow up by saying I've read this over and agree with it. I overstated the case, so I struck out that last sentence I wrote. I will add that the kind of indirect racism discussed in the podcast does undeniably exist, so no one can outright dismiss the possibility either, I just got caught up in trying to see how that could ever factor into a draft analysis. I agree it's more than worthy as food for thought, but I'm not sure these threads ever end well in any case. Thanks.
Obviously there was no ill will directed towards you, and I'm glad you took the time to reconsider your position.I find it funny that some people come in here expressing their opinions while calling Matt "a clown" or a "pot stirrer" because he expressed his. People hear the word "racism" and fly off the handle without really listening or reading the context in which it was being used.

Like I said, I personally disagree with his stance, but taking some time to read and/or listen to what may be an outlier type position isn't a bad thing. He does make some valid points, that some people want to pretend are no longer an issue in 2014.

I love Matt. I can't say that I've interviewed current GMs and coaches to know if they are racist.

I've met enough people in life and I've interviewed enough people to know that racism still exists in sports.

We in society have this act we put on that it doesn't exist.

I don't think it's reasonable to cast that fake it doesn't exist mindset onto any job interview.

Matt isn't one to offer some pile of BS in an interview. Whether he has interviewed coaches or those close to coaches or whatnot, I suppose that's his business-how he came to form this viewpoint.

Has there ever been a time in your life where someone said racism exists that there wasn't a big sigh and OMG did soandso just say that? After everyone exhales here, it'd be nice to hear some actual experienced thoughts and opinions on this topic. Most of us need to shake off that initial OMG though.

I don't believe with our law that everyone should be a potential hire for a new company. In my work experience, I've seen fat lazy people and fat hard working people. At times, I feel I can predict which type of fat person they are and I don't want the lazy one to work for me. Old people don't deter me, I like the seasoning. I don't like the hurt hips that make them walk slow and make me worry every day that they aren't going to slip and fall and cost the company I work for 10s of thousands of dollars in medical bills. Right there I'm sizing up elderly and fat people as to which type I preddict they are. This is against the law. This is supposed to be about their prior work experience and other qualifications that would lead to them producing good work for me.

Would you hire RainMan to be your comptroller with a CFO as the one he's feeding his numbers too? There are scenarios that make you think and consider things and I don't like the law. I understand it to protect ugly women from not being hired and hot women from being hired to be hit on and handicapped people to have a chance to work and...the concept of the law is wonderful but when you put it into practice it makes things uncomfy. I hire who I want and have always had a diverse hard working staff. You could never look at a previous staff of mine and find favoritism toward a race or body weight or attractiveness or anything. You would find a "gimme all ya got" mindset from all of the workers though.

I wish you guys would take Matt's feet out of the fire long enough to understand he's a well thought out genuinely good person and think about why he might make such a statement. Some just need to exhale after that first OMG did he just say that.

A month or two ago we were discussing the penalties for the use of the N word. To return to the forum and say "there's no racism in the NFL OMG why did you say that" doesn't seem to mesh up

Is there a recent example that would back this claim up...where a black QB got passed on for no apparent on-field reason (i.e. intangibles) and than outperformed where he got selected...Russell Wilson was actually looked at as going higher than some thought he would and that was because his intangibles were so highly regarded...Manuel seemed to get selected earlier than most predicted...Geno Smith slipped in the draft but it appeared that it was due to scrutiny of his game and watching him last year his draft position seems to be correct...also, the Jets appeared to have little reservations starting him over Sanchez in very quick time...Cam went #1 and RG3 went #2...if you want to see the best example of a QB going later than many thought he would because of negative "intangibles" I would say Ryan Mallett fits that profile to a T and it had zero to do with his skin color...my issue with this topic is I would like to see some tangible proof that black QBs are getting passed on and looking at recent draft results v. results on the field I am not seeing a ton of evidence to back up this theory...

i didnt listen to the podcast, but im curious how one would come to '75%' chance of falling due to racism? is there a racism coefficient that numerically explains or validates this?
Well, you didn't listen to the podcast so your interpretation is not accurate. He said there was a 75 percent chance he falls out of the top 10 for a myriad of reasons, including his interviews, pro day, agent, and the still prevalent notion that owners want their face of the franchise to match certain traits that better grease the wheels of sponsorship, sales and mitigating any loss from their investment. These players are investments. Never lose sight of that.

I respect Waldman. I really do.

But imo, claiming racism is the reason an overhyped/overrated QB is going to fall is... Well... Poppycock.

And the '75%' makes it even worse. If you're gonna make a stament. Take a stand. Go into it 100%. Seriously

i didnt listen to the podcast, but im curious how one would come to '75%' chance of falling due to racism? is there a racism coefficient that numerically explains or validates this?
Well, you didn't listen to the podcast so your interpretation is not accurate. He said there was a 75 percent chance he falls out of the top 10 for a myriad of reasons, including his interviews, pro day, agent, and the still prevalent notion that owners want their face of the franchise to match certain traits that better grease the wheels of sponsorship, sales and mitigating any loss from their investment. These players are investments. Never lose sight of that.
I agree with this...I just don't see where the dots get connected to white guys getting more sponsorships or getting pushed as faces of franchises more than black guys...

I agree with this...I just don't see where the dots get connected to white guys getting more sponsorships or getting pushed as faces of franchises more than black guys...
Yeah I don't see this either. In the three major team sports, only Manning and Brees rank highly on the endorsement list of 2013. Ahead of them you have Lebron, Kobe, jeter, durant, rose, DWade, etc... You've got a black guy who is an alleged rapist in the top 5, but Bridgewater isn't marketable?

Tiger Woods is #1. If you're telling me a black guy can't be the face of an NFL franchise when a black guy is the face of Golf, then I'm not buying what you're selling.

Yeah I don't see this either. In the three major team sports, only Manning and Brees rank highly on the endorsement list of 2013. Ahead of them you have Lebron, Kobe, jeter, durant, rose, DWade, etc... You've got a black guy who is an alleged rapist in the top 5, but Bridgewater isn't marketable?

Tiger Woods is #1. If you're telling me a black guy can't be the face of an NFL franchise when a black guy is the face of Golf, then I'm not buying what you're selling.
When I see Kevin Love ahead of Lebron or KD than I will say we have a big problem...

ok, so the OP quoted it totally wrong then?

there was nothing for me to interpret wrong about the post though P/P, the post header was pretty clear and distinct.

your take does provide some addtional context though.

as i said, i couldn't understand how one could measure racism so tangibly and its impact on sliding down the bored so definitely.

personally though, if your take on matt's thoughts about the race factor are correct and if one happens to agree with it, they'd be selling african americans, as well as NFL GMs short. there's been plenty of guys on both sides that break the mold and what i'd call a stereotype you described in your response.

I would like to submit some context and my personal opinion of how I interpreted the quote in discussion.

I have followed and read Matt's content for some five years and listened to him on this and other podcasts. When I heard the quote last night on the iTunes replay of the podcast, I initially disagreed with its content, and felt that the duration of Matt's argument was going to make it difficult to back away from its potentially inflammatory accusations.

Context...the podcast was three friends discussing the NFL draft in a free-form format. Matt is at the end of a couple of months of 80 hour weeks as he wraps up the RSP (including hours upon hours assessing Bridgewater). Matt spends alot of his life watching film and putting out pretty good scouting reports on future NFL players. Matt has experience in the corporate world. Matt supports causes that espouse equality across gender and race. Matt's wife is black, and I assume they are acutely aware on a daily basis of the types of direct and indirect racism that exist in this country. (I grew up in South Texas with a Latino mother and was personally exhausted by the number of times people assumed she was our maid).

I don't think Matt was saying 'all NFL GMs are racist' and are letting Bridgewater fall. In fact, I think he is saying (and I agree) that the media tends to put stereotypes on players and then the impetus falls on that player to dispel those stereotypes.

What I got from the comments is that there are many factors that go into the multi-million dollar decision making that teams go through. We know GMs ask things like 'was your mother a prostitute' or 'do you have any tattoos'? Does this mean Dez Bryant won't be taken in the first round or Kaepernick can't be the face of 'a' franchise? No. But what it does mean is that subliminally (or overtly) SOME will make decisions based on things that shouldn't matter. In fact, I think Tim Tebow received bias for his 'beliefs', some positive and surely some negative. People didn't (and don't) want that lightning rod (even though he seems to be a great person, teammate).

This silent bias/racism is the same thing that causes people to say 'he's so well spoken' (Chris Rock routine, I think) when a black man speaks without any sort of street accent. The same thing occurs when a little white person belts out the blues, and someone thinks "he/she sounds like a 300 lb black man/woman." It's perception: what you think a person should be or do.

I *think* Matt's opinion came after many late nights watching Teddy Bridgewater and wondering why is this guy not getting a fair shake. People are slobbering all over the Greek God that is Bortles, the prototypical 6'5" Caucasian pocket passer. To some degree, they are doing the same with Carr. I don't think Matt is saying that skin color is the only reason Bridgewater will fall, but I do agree that there are those in the league or connected to the league or reporting about the league who don't see a lanky, black athlete as a future Hall of Fame quarterback. They are more ready to crown a guy who looks like Bortles. Matt wholeheartedly disagrees with their assessment (and even compares Bridgewater's game to Joe Montana).

I think it's unfair to judge Matt's comments, especially out of context and especially when we see examples every day of inequality due to gender, race, sexual preference. Although there are many progressive people employed and playing in the NFL, the NFL is still predominantly an old-boys network. I don't see why one man's opinion that calls out and believes that this mindset is affecting the value of players is so outrageous.

Is there a recent example that would back this claim up...where a black QB got passed on for no apparent on-field reason (i.e. intangibles) and than outperformed where he got selected...Russell Wilson was actually looked at as going higher than some thought he would and that was because his intangibles were so highly regarded...Manuel seemed to get selected earlier than most predicted...Geno Smith slipped in the draft but it appeared that it was due to scrutiny of his game and watching him last year his draft position seems to be correct...also, the Jets appeared to have little reservations starting him over Sanchez in very quick time...Cam went #1 and RG3 went #2...if you want to see the best example of a QB going later than many thought he would because of negative "intangibles" I would say Ryan Mallett fits that profile to a T and it had zero to do with his skin color...my issue with this topic is I would like to see some tangible proof that black QBs are getting passed on and looking at recent draft results v. results on the field I am not seeing a ton of evidence to back up this theory...
Good post.

hes going to fall because its been sniffed out that hes not that good. Throw in the fact that he physically didn't do anything at the combine and had a bad showing at his pro day; yeah I see him falling to the second day. Geno Smith looked like a better prospect this time last yr than Teddy does now and Geno fell to the 2nd.

if Teddy fails or is held back or is treated unfairly because he's black

then

Gerhart fails and is treated unfairly and is held back because he's white

racism in today's world is applicable to everyone or every color skin - call it both ways, if its racist that 28 or 32 NFL coaches are white, then its racist when 18 of 24 NBA players are black too

cal it both ways .... or you know maybe, 18 of 24 NBA players are just better, and maybe 28 of the 32 coaches in the NFL are just better and skin color doesn't matter ?

call it both ways

Teddy fails only if he doesn't do a great job - simple stuff guys

if Teddy fails or is held back or is treated unfairly because he's black

then

Gerhart fails and is treated unfairly and is held back because he's white

racism in today's world is applicable to everyone or every color skin - call it both ways, if its racist that 28 or 32 NFL coaches are white, then its racist when 18 of 24 NBA players are black too
That doesn't follow logically. The selection process of NFL owner's hiring coaches is not similar or analagous to the selection process for NBA players.

I would like to submit some context and my personal opinion of how I interpreted the quote in discussion.

I have followed and read Matt's content for some five years and listened to him on this and other podcasts. When I heard the quote last night on the iTunes replay of the podcast, I initially disagreed with its content, and felt that the duration of Matt's argument was going to make it difficult to back away from its potentially inflammatory accusations.

Context...the podcast was three friends discussing the NFL draft in a free-form format. Matt is at the end of a couple of months of 80 hour weeks as he wraps up the RSP (including hours upon hours assessing Bridgewater). Matt spends alot of his life watching film and putting out pretty good scouting reports on future NFL players. Matt has experience in the corporate world. Matt supports causes that espouse equality across gender and race. Matt's wife is black, and I assume they are acutely aware on a daily basis of the types of direct and indirect racism that exist in this country. (I grew up in South Texas with a Latino mother and was personally exhausted by the number of times people assumed she was our maid).

I don't think Matt was saying 'all NFL GMs are racist' and are letting Bridgewater fall. In fact, I think he is saying (and I agree) that the media tends to put stereotypes on players and then the impetus falls on that player to dispel those stereotypes.

What I got from the comments is that there are many factors that go into the multi-million dollar decision making that teams go through. We know GMs ask things like 'was your mother a prostitute' or 'do you have any tattoos'? Does this mean Dez Bryant won't be taken in the first round or Kaepernick can't be the face of 'a' franchise? No. But what it does mean is that subliminally (or overtly) SOME will make decisions based on things that shouldn't matter. In fact, I think Tim Tebow received bias for his 'beliefs', some positive and surely some negative. People didn't (and don't) want that lightning rod (even though he seems to be a great person, teammate).

This silent bias/racism is the same thing that causes people to say 'he's so well spoken' (Chris Rock routine, I think) when a black man speaks without any sort of street accent. The same thing occurs when a little white person belts out the blues, and someone thinks "he/she sounds like a 300 lb black man/woman." It's perception: what you think a person should be or do.

I *think* Matt's opinion came after many late nights watching Teddy Bridgewater and wondering why is this guy not getting a fair shake. People are slobbering all over the Greek God that is Bortles, the prototypical 6'5" Caucasian pocket passer. To some degree, they are doing the same with Carr. I don't think Matt is saying that skin color is the only reason Bridgewater will fall, but I do agree that there are those in the league or connected to the league or reporting about the league who don't see a lanky, black athlete as a future Hall of Fame quarterback. They are more ready to crown a guy who looks like Bortles. Matt wholeheartedly disagrees with their assessment (and even compares Bridgewater's game to Joe Montana).

I think it's unfair to judge Matt's comments, especially out of context and especially when we see examples every day of inequality due to gender, race, sexual preference. Although there are many progressive people employed and playing in the NFL, the NFL is still predominantly an old-boys network. I don't see why one man's opinion that calls out and believes that this mindset is affecting the value of players is so outrageous.
But if Bortles was a black 6'5" greek god and Bridgewater was a white, lanky athlete i doubt opinions would be reversed and everyone would be saying how great Bridgewater is.

So is he saying that if he falls it's because:

75% of GMs are racist?

He'll fall through 75% of the draft because all the GMs are racist?

He should be the number one player in the draft and if he isn't that means 75% of the people who pass on him are racist?

So is he saying that if he falls it's because:

75% of GMs are racist?

He'll fall through 75% of the draft because all the GMs are racist?

He should be the number one player in the draft and if he isn't that means 75% of the people who pass on him are racist?
Yes.

But if Bortles was a black 6'5" greek god and Bridgewater was a white, lanky athlete i doubt opinions would be reversed and everyone would be saying how great Bridgewater is.
We don't actually have to wonder. Cam Newton, a 6'5" black Greek god, was drafted #1 just a couple seasons ago.

there was nothing for me to interpret wrong about the post though P/P, the post header was pretty clear and distinct.

as i said, i couldn't understand how one could measure racism so tangibly and its impact on sliding down the bored so definitely.

personally though, if your take on matt's thoughts about the race factor are correct and if one happens to agree with it, they'd be selling african americans, as well as NFL GMs short. there's been plenty of guys on both sides that break the mold and what i'd call a stereotype you described in your response.
Can some please confirm if the original post is incorrect? Did Waldman say this or not?

Bridgewater is being knocked for his frame when he weighed the exact same amount as Derek Carr and was 1/4" shorter. He's being knocked for "plateauing" in his development, when both Carr and McCarron finished their careers with one of the worst games they ever played and it is barely mentioned. There have been vague questions about his "leadership" for months, and after the Combine Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting (who is not one to make things up, someone with connections told him this) wrote:

Teddy Bridgewater didn’t perform well in multiple interviews with teams during the combine, and drew some comparisons to Geno Smith from last year. While I’m still confident he’ll be a top-five pick as of now, rumors are he’s coaching by agents and the people around him aren’t ideal.
Bridgewater is getting knocked badly for his pro day - including by many media types with a strong NFL background, not just self-made pundits like most of us - when everyone openly admits that JaMarcus Russell had the best pro day in recent memory and Matt Ryan had one of the worst - ie it has little if any correlation to pro success.

At some point you have to explore some alternative theories on why Bridgewater appears to be graded on a different curve than his peers.

Bridgewater is being knocked for his frame when he weighed the exact same amount as Derek Carr and was 1/4" shorter. He's being knocked for "plateauing" in his development, when both Carr and McCarron finished their careers with one of the worst games they ever played and it is barely mentioned. There have been vague questions about his "leadership" for months, and after the Combine Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting (who is not one to make things up, someone with connections told him this) wrote:

Teddy Bridgewater didn’t perform well in multiple interviews with teams during the combine, and drew some comparisons to Geno Smith from last year. While I’m still confident he’ll be a top-five pick as of now, rumors are he’s coaching by agents and the people around him aren’t ideal.
Bridgewater is getting knocked badly for his pro day - including by many media types with a strong NFL background, not just self-made pundits like most of us - when everyone openly admits that JaMarcus Russell had the best pro day in recent memory and Matt Ryan had one of the worst - ie it has little if any correlation to pro success.

At some point you have to explore some alternative theories on why Bridgewater appears to be graded on a different curve than his peers.
Then why bother having them at all? It's another evaluation tool. He did not have a good pro day. When you do not have a good pro day all the draft guys will say his stock is dropping. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, most of the commentary is not coming from decision makers that will be making the picks. I do not think he has been graded on a different curve at all. There is a ton of horrible commentary in this thread.

Sig,

I didn't knee-jerk a reaction to an inflamatory headline, I waited till i listened to the podcast and I heard the mini-rant by Waldman and I gave him a pass because Matt has earned it.

You know that ANY post that has an inflamatory headline will generate replies but when it also has a socially inflamatory agenda it is assured to get replies. Matt even said that some would not appreciate what he was about to say but I don't agree with him but not for any white-man guilt issues. Its because long before Matt made any comments I looked at this QB class and before I really checked into it I felt Teddy was the top QB and he'd go #1 but his frame is thin. Too thin to overlook, its a real issue when making a top-ten pick in this draft where the opportunity cost is higher than in an average draft.

If Bridgewater is available when Browns GM Ray Farmer is on the clock with the 4th pick I don't think the reason he might bypass him due to racism.

New Browns HC Mike Pettine made comments very-early after he got hired, I think it may have been prior to Farmer being hired as GM, about QBs and what he felt was important. He mentioned a strong 'throwing base'. That Pro Day showed a very-poor throwing base from Bridgewater.

I don't think we need to explore alternative theories if Bridgewater falls in this draft.

That is my opinion.

Pro Day's don't mean crap if they are good because they are supposed to be good. Its not reflective of real football, no pass rush, throwing routes from a script, in optimal settings. But if a guy has a bad Pro-Day people will question any weakness from that Pro-Day.

At some point we have to move on from liberal white guilt
I don't even think it's that, it's making an inflammatory statement for the sake of it. We're still over a month out from the draft and what's everyone always say about team-speak?

"Don't trust what you hear."

Who's saying Bridgewater is graded differently? If so, how do you know it's factual? If it's is, do they really like other QBs better? If you determine all of those things are facts, are you really going to say the only reason someone could like Carr more than Bridgewater is because Carr is white? Come on. Stick with analysis of play and stray from the sociological drivel.

Recent Jeopardy champion Arthur Chu had some good analysis on this subject - main point being that none of this happens at a conscious level:

That said, stereotypes aren’t so much about people totally projecting things that completely aren’t there but about people having a framework with which they interpret things that actually are there. It’s not that racism causes people to see (for example) belligerent teenage boys where there are none, but that a white belligerent teenage boy is just seen as himself while a black belligerent teenage boy is part of a pattern, a script, and when people blindly follow the scripts in their head that leads to discrimination and prejudice.

So yeah, it is a fact, I think, that I was a bit off-putting in my Jeopardy! appearance—hyper-focused on the game, had an intense stare, clicked madly on the buzzer, spat out answers super-fast, wasn’t too charming in the interviews, etc.
But this may have taken root in people’s heads because I’m an Asian and the “Asian mastermind” is a meme in people’s heads that it wouldn’t have otherwise.
Look, we all know that there’s a trope in the movies where someone of a minority race is flattened out into just being “good at X” and that the white protagonist is the one we root for because unlike the guy who’s just “good at X” the protagonist has human depth, human relationships, a human point of view—and this somehow makes him more worthy of success than the antagonist who seems to exist just to be good at X.
So we root for Rocky against black guys who, by all appearances, really are better boxers than he is, because unlike them Rocky isn’t JUST a boxer, he has a girlfriend, he has hopes, he has dreams, etc. This comes up over and over again in movies where the athletic black competitor is set up as the “heel”—look at the black chick in Million Dollar Baby and how much we’re pushed to hate her. Look at all this “Great White Hope” stuff, historically, with Joe Louis.
So is it any surprise that this trope comes into play with Asians? That the Asian character in the movie is the robotic, heartless, genius mastermind who is only pure intellect and whom we’re crying out to be defeated by some white guy who may not be as brainy but has more pluck, more heart, more humanity? It’s not just Flash Gordon vs. Ming the Merciless, it’s stuff like how in the pilot episode of Girls Hannah gets fired in favor of an overachieving Asian girl who’s genuinely better at her job than she is (the Asian girl knows Photoshop and she doesn’t) and we’re supposed to sympathize with Hannah.
Okay, here’s one more comment from the Internet that kind of encapsulates it. The kind of un-self-awareness of what someone is saying when they say they’d prefer I not win because I try too hard at the game, work too hard at it, care too much about it, and that they’d prefer that a “likable average Joe” win.
This is disturbing because it amounts to basically an attack on competence, a desire to bust people who work very hard and have very strong natural gifts down in favor of “likable average Joes”—and it’s disturbing because the subtext is frequently that to be “likable” and “average” you have to have other traits that are comforting and appealing to an “average Joe” audience, like white skin and an American accent.

Sig,

I didn't knee-jerk a reaction to an inflamatory headline, I waited till i listened to the podcast and I heard the mini-rant by Waldman and I gave him a pass because Matt has earned it.

You know that ANY post that has an inflamatory headline will generate replies but when it also has a socially inflamatory agenda it is assured to get replies. Matt even said that some would not appreciate what he was about to say but I don't agree with him but not for any white-man guilt issues. Its because long before Matt made any comments I looked at this QB class and before I really checked into it I felt Teddy was the top QB and he'd go #1 but his frame is thin. Too thin to overlook, its a real issue when making a top-ten pick in this draft where the opportunity cost is higher than in an average draft.

If Bridgewater is available when Browns GM Ray Farmer is on the clock with the 4th pick I don't think the reason he might bypass him due to racism.

New Browns HC Mike Pettine made comments very-early after he got hired, I think it may have been prior to Farmer being hired as GM, about QBs and what he felt was important. He mentioned a strong 'throwing base'. That Pro Day showed a very-poor throwing base from Bridgewater.

I don't think we need to explore alternative theories if Bridgewater falls in this draft.

That is my opinion.

Pro Day's don't mean crap if they are good because they are supposed to be good. Its not reflective of real football, no pass rush, throwing routes from a script, in optimal settings. But if a guy has a bad Pro-Day people will question any weakness from that Pro-Day.
Great posting here.

Alternative theories often end up as excuses.

I think this issue spirals into another area...the fact that talk radio/message boards/general media discussions have somehow become an exact reflection on what the teams or execs are thinking...these areas take a few pieces of info, cobble them together, have them discussed with JoJo in a car on talk radio and this is suddenly a reflection on what Bill Belichik or John Elway is thinking...sorry, but unless you work for a team or have worked for a team you are an outsider and right or wrong you're probably just speculating...

But generally talk is Carr is projected as a low, maybe mid 1st rounder and Mccarron in the 2nd so not sure i'm following the analogy there...

"Matt wholeheartedly disagrees with their assessment (and even compares Bridgewater's game to Joe Montana)."

The white guy that dropped to the end of the 3rd round in the 79 NFL Draft????

He's 208lbs and ran a 4.8 40 ... The only reason he is being considered a top half of the first round pick is because he's black.
And here I though he was being considered because he was productive while at Louisville
71% 31 TD to just 4 interceptions last season
68% 72 TD to just 24 interceptions for his career

Then why bother having them at all? It's another evaluation tool. He did not have a good pro day. When you do not have a good pro day all the draft guys will say his stock is dropping. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, most of the commentary is not coming from decision makers that will be making the picks. I do not think he has been graded on a different curve at all. There is a ton of horrible commentary in this thread.
Matt Ryan still measured the prototype QB size (6'5", 225) and interviewed well. I remember that he was supposed to fall a little but Atl took him #3 because they needed a new face after Vick's arrest and Ryan was by far the best QB in the draft.

And here I though he was being considered because he was productive while at Louisville
71% 31 TD to just 4 interceptions last season
68% 72 TD to just 24 interceptions for his career
Nope ... There have been plenty of productive black and white QBs who have dropped because of lack of size and/or lack of athletic ability. Joe Montana, Brees, Brady, Russell Wilson off the top of my head.

Bridgewater lacks both ... similar to Montana in size and speed (though from what I can find Montana ran a 4.7)

Montana dropped to the end of the 3rd round. Bridgewater is being considered in the top half of the 1st round ... Racism ???

Sorry, but you are really stretching here.

Exactly Bloom. This is what I was trying to get at in the Bortles thread. Everything he does poorly seems to get a free pass while Bridgewater gets picked apart. In the end Bridgewater, like other black QB's, may end up going where he should but it's the amount of scrutiny getting there that's a sign of at least subconscious discrimination.

Can some please confirm if the original post is incorrect? Did Waldman say this or not?
P/P listened to the podcast. he said the OP got it wrong.

It seems to me that the people (draft evaluators and "experts") that are saying his stock is falling are some of the same people that initially had him as the #1 player. Racism did not seem to be a problem then. Now because maybe they are seeing things a little differently he is falling due to racism? Its not like anyone is saying he is going to fall to round 7 just maybe a bit lower in the first round. This whole Bridgewater's stock is falling due to racism is just stupid. No other way to put it.

Users who are viewing this thread