What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (2 Viewers)

Perfect, thanks! I'm somewhat familiar with Metairie, my great aunt lived there...my dad's favorite Poboy place in Metairie used to be Short Stop, I may check that place out as well...but will definitely hit Johnnys and Gumbostop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect, thanks! I'm familiar with Metairie, my great aunt lived there...my dad's favorite Poboy place used to be Short Stop, I may check that place out as well...but will definitely hit Johnnys and Gumbostop.
I had the gumbo at Cochon about this time last year. It was awesome.

Now I've just been to NOLA the one time, and it was chicken so there is that

to be fair, there a ton of places with good gumbo and good poboys.  I just put my two favorite b/c he said he was willing to drive (and it's not too far).

Cochon is solid

yo typsy!  

i'm finally coming out to the big easy!  we are coming for opening day raiders/saints.  we'll be there for a few days.  can't wait to get my grub on!!!

let me know if you're not gonna be around.  and if you have any game ticket recommendations, let me know.

CAN'T WAIT!!

Hey Tipsy or any other NO guys....who has the best Poboys and seafood gumbo in town? Gonna be there at the end of the month, and besides NOLA brewing for BBQ, I need some recommendations. TIA
Gumbo...the fancy places like Commanders, Antoines, etc are usually fantastic....I like Praline Connection and Mandina's as well.

Best poboy is really more about who does good ones in your neighborhood.   I like several places....some of the revered ones that I feel are overrated but still solid are Parkway, Domilsies (sp), and Crabby Jack.   I frequent Adams street & Guy's Poboys as well.  Mothers is fine but they are a tourist trap price wise.

Fried Chicken at Willie Mae's is solid but certainly not the best in the country as has been acclaimed.   I recommend Brunch at Dante's still.

yo typsy!  

i'm finally coming out to the big easy!  we are coming for opening day raiders/saints.  we'll be there for a few days.  can't wait to get my grub on!!!

let me know if you're not gonna be around.  and if you have any game ticket recommendations, let me know.

CAN'T WAIT!!
i haven't searched for tix in a decade.   I prefer my couch or a bar for a game.  @Tigerfan might help that question.  

I will be around that weekend.   Come have some eats and a beer!  look forward to it.

we have a NOLA thread.....this one is about ME...ME ME ME ME ME :)

Add this to the list of things I never considered I would ever have occasion to say:   Close to 30 pounds of my food and some sides are on a private jet to Argentina to feed a bunch of businessmen in the morning.    LOL.
How did the summer treat you, looking al right?

ETA: My girls opted to go to Spain instead of a Florida/NOLA roadtrip :sadbanana:

Probably staying at the Catahoula on Union. Roast beef and shrimp poboys. And seafood gumbo. I'll drive anywhere in the city for the good stuff.
I've been to Catahoula, nice little restaurant in there too. Just a cafe but one of the few vegetarian / South American places here.

Hey Tipsy or any other NO guys....who has the best Poboys and seafood gumbo in town? Gonna be there at the end of the month, and besides NOLA brewing for BBQ, I need some recommendations. TIA
For poboys I bring people to Mahoney's on Magazine or Parway on Hagan by the Bayou. I'd also say Frankie & Johnny's which is way Uptown (Arabella, Tchoupitoulas).

But Johnny's is fine if you;re walking around the FQ. I'd actually say go to Acme, then Mr. Ed's but I've been to Johnny's, the thing is the seafood is not as good as the two other places IMHO.

On gumbo like poboys it's all a matter of taste. It depends on what kind of gumbo you like. I'd actually send people to Mr. B's for the dark roux gumbo. i think John Beche at Luke will have a good one also and so will Palace Cafe.

For poboys there's also Mother's but the line is likely long because a lot of tourists get sent there.

Also Bon Ton Cafe on Magazine by Poydras is very good for gumbo and local food too. Their gumbo is more on the des herbes side.

Mahoney's should have a good gumbo too. Really Guy's and Magazine Street poboys are good too IMO.

Crabby Jack's is run by the chef who runs Jacques Imo's - if you're willing to go to Metry you might as well  go to Jefferson Hwy. (it's not pretty but also not dangerous).

I'm going to check this out. My in-laws are out there.
I was so skeptical b/c it was basically a run down strip mall....but eventually I had heard such good things about it from people I trust, so I went...and it exceeded expectations.  Nothing but rave reviews online as well

FWIW, I went all out and got the Yumbo Mumbo Gumbo - http://www.gumbostop.com/menu.html

How did the summer treat you, looking al right?

ETA: My girls opted to go to Spain instead of a Florida/NOLA roadtrip :sadbanana:
Bummer ....next time.

Summer has been fairly slow.   I'm not sure how all these places in town make it during this time of year now.    September usually will see a few places close.   Its bound to happen this fall too.   We literally have double the number of places in the metro than we did before Katrina.   I'm thankful I got out of Magazine before this summer hit...it could have been ugly.   That being said ...i just had 3 great days of catering finishing off with a whole pig today.   The rest of the weekend looks bleak for that, but the pits will be full anyway with food for the flood victims which feels better than hustling for a profit for once.  

Oh man, Tipsy doesn't work Sundays!  Side note: asked the bartender if Tipsy was working today, she said WHO? Gave my wife a good laugh
lol...

I usually work some on Sundays but was down for the count yesterday w fever n aches...woke up fine today.  Thankfully since we have another run at our Jamaican pop up tonight...

Appetizers

BBQ Pepper Shrimp

firey Scotch Bonnet garlic butter & smoked shrimp reduction

$12

Pecan Smoked Spare Ribs

with over-proof rum glaze & pickled pepper jam

$8

Conch & Lobster Fritter

horseradish and Lime Pickapeppa Sauce

$8

Entrees

Pecan Smoked & Braised Veal Cheeks

candided Scotch Bonnets, butter beans, curried cabbage, ginger – scallion jus

$16

Pan Fried Snapper “Escovetch Style”

marinated peppers, smoked garlic, allspice, scallion vinaigrette

$16

Real Jerk Chicken

48 hour marinade, hickory grilled, smoked Jerk gravy

$14

Curry Braised Goat

charred garlic, smoked carrots, goat reduction

$14

Smoked Prime Rib

pepper crusted with candied bacon sauce

$22

lol...

I usually work some on Sundays but was down for the count yesterday w fever n aches...woke up fine today.  Thankfully since we have another run at our Jamaican pop up tonight...

Appetizers

BBQ Pepper Shrimp

firey Scotch Bonnet garlic butter & smoked shrimp reduction

$12

Pecan Smoked Spare Ribs

with over-proof rum glaze & pickled pepper jam

$8

Conch & Lobster Fritter

horseradish and Lime Pickapeppa Sauce

$8

Entrees

Pecan Smoked & Braised Veal Cheeks

candided Scotch Bonnets, butter beans, curried cabbage, ginger – scallion jus

$16

Pan Fried Snapper “Escovetch Style”

marinated peppers, smoked garlic, allspice, scallion vinaigrette

$16

Real Jerk Chicken

48 hour marinade, hickory grilled, smoked Jerk gravy

$14

Curry Braised Goat

charred garlic, smoked carrots, goat reduction

$14

Smoked Prime Rib

pepper crusted with candied bacon sauce

$22
I want to say i hate you but I don't.

Dammit

I'll be in town this weekend. Other people in the party made reservations for everything we're doing. Not my style, but I'm stuck with it. I'm free until the afternoon Friday though so I'll be there for lunch Friday. Can't wait. @Wingnut , when are you going to be there?

I'll be in town this weekend. Other people in the party made reservations for everything we're doing. Not my style, but I'm stuck with it. I'm free until the afternoon Friday though so I'll be there for lunch Friday. Can't wait. @Wingnut , when are you going to be there?
I would have been there next Wed/Thu but my company canceled the August meeting, so Ill be there at the end of next month instead.

See you Friday....   Free beers at 2 for the Brewery Tour Hour...also the best time for viewing sun dresses and such.

what's going on here? seeing news on Facebook that suggests this place is closing.

Where are you seeing those? Went to the McClure's BBQ Page and saw nothing but brags from Tipsy about food. (Although I do have problem's reading! ;) )
I guess it's another business. Old Portage Food & Drink.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1740134902913173/

Mary K. Peyton So bummed to see the Nola Tap Room closing: the beer and the food was great. Will McClure's be opening anywhere else? I take it the brewery will keep brewing -- it's just the Tap Room closing

Amarys Koenig Herndon It's not closing! The Pop Up The Old Portage that's been Cooking on Tuesdays for the last year is leaving NOLA Tap Room.

Made there when I as in town. Whoa. Everyone was blown away by the food. All meats and sides plus some apps. I think my favorites were the fried boudin, sausage, egg rolls, Mac n cheese, slaw, ribs, and pulled pork (If you're going to make me narrow it down). Oh and the chicken and brisket. And rice. We ended up hanging out there for a few hrs. Tispey got to chat with us for a bit. Beer, bbq, and Noles. Good times. I was hoping to make it a 2nd time to try the cheesesteak and cordon blue sandwich. Guess I had to save something for next time. We just need to work on direct flights from SD to NO.

Also, hell of a town you fellas got there. Music on Frenchman, awesome food everywhere, great craft beer and killer cocktails. We accidentally ended up on Oak st during that party. Holy #### what a night that was. First time I've seen to pickup trucks go ### to ### to create a pool in the streets :lol:  soooooo many dudes in bikinis too. 

So Tipsy,  do you get more income from catering or the NOLA site? It seems to me that you're always having huge catering jobs. 

Can you cater an event in Columbus Ohio? 

So Tipsy,  do you get more income from catering or the NOLA site? It seems to me that you're always having huge catering jobs. 

Can you cater an event in Columbus Ohio? 
If you can fly it, he can cook it. Didn't you see the update on some of his Q being flown to Argentina recently?

All it takes is chetbux ;)

In house sales by 3 to 1 usually....catering here is up to the tap room folks booking parties for the most part.  Offisite events are now limited to a couple a week at most because I don't have that second kitchen yet and its tough to prep in our tiny area at this point....not to mention staffing.  I can push for more of that soon enough...definitely going to start pushing for more deliveries to office buildings during lunch soon.  Taco truck downtown  during day, bars at night is really what is supposed to happen next but I am in debt clearing mode big time so that is on hold.

oh...and the pop up is leaving on their own accord...they are pursuing a brick and mortar space or so they tell me.   They could possibly be annoyed with this place after the summer as well....they pay a good chunk to me to be here and it has been terrible on Tuesdays lately. 

We are opening Tuesdays instead of getting another pop up.  I'll host nights like our Jamaican night or someone else doing a once a month thing, but I catered on 20 of the 52 Tuesdays this past year so it makes sense to just be open.   I may do Jamaica one night a month, a once a month pig roast and possibly a fancy small plate night once a month to break up the monotony and help create a Tuesday buzz.  

If you open Tuesdays, do you still have some down time to reciver?
Yep!   Part of closing the magazine store was to surround myself here at the brewery with all of my staff and take some of the pressure off myself.   I am working less hours and less physically as well.    I am almost exclusively a figurehead now..I have three guys I oversee on the pit duties, a GM that is doing scheduling, inventory, and shopping, one staff helping me with catering emails & such.  My labor is a bit high, but that is well worth the stress relief I have gotten.    For no reason at all I just didn't even come in last weekend....it was awesome.  

At the same time....I have no idea what to do with myself when not working.  Sadly the 25 pounds I had lost since opening here at brewery have all come back now since it seems I just like eating with my spare time.   Its kind of sad....but I am without hobbies now.   Some of that is my disdain for the heat....maybe I'll play some golf this fall. :)

Users who are viewing this thread