What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McClure's BBQ (1 Viewer)

Congrats! Although this made me cry a little inside:

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

2) Buffalo Wild Wings :no:

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

2) Willie Mae's Scotch House

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

This seemed a bit more strange...

Forgot to add: Congrats!!!
Popeye's is great. It's the best fried chicken I've ever had. I know that's blasphemy and all, but it's awesome (and I've had everything on that list - althought Cane's shouldn't count...that's chicken fingers.

Re: wings, we're really not a wings town. I'm starting to hear about that bayou hot wings place, so I need to check it out

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

Willie Mae's is probably the closest thing you will find to Gus's.

Some people say the quality or texture has changed since the proprietress passed on, I don't know.

Popeye's I get, it wasn't always a huge chain, it used to be 'our thing.'

After that if any NO foodies are reading this I'd love other recommendations (I hear Brothers at one location or another occasionally... but I think there must be better).
Chicken Box used to be as close to popeyes as I could find....I think there's only one left (on Elysian Fields), but that could have shut down.

I've had Brothers twice (CBD location) and it was very good (I was drunk though)

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

Some people say the quality or texture has changed since the proprietress passed on, I don't know.

After that if any NO foodies are reading this I'd love other recommendations (I hear Brothers at one location or another occasionally... but I think there must be better).
Chicken Box used to be as close to popeyes as I could find....I think there's only one left (on Elysian Fields), but that could have shut down.

I've had Brothers twice (CBD location) and it was very good (I was drunk though)
Brothers is very good. I used to hit up the one right there on Carondolet a couple times a week while waiting for the streetcar at 4am. They have some killer meat pies as well.

My heart belongs to Popeyes, though.

St. Lawrence also has some good fried chicken, along with everything else.

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

Brothers is very good. I used to hit up the one right there on Carondolet a couple times a week while waiting for the streetcar at 4am. They have some killer meat pies as well.

Is the Popeyes comparable to the thought that Dunkin' Donuts coffee is better in Boston (birthplace of DD) than it is anywhere else? (I'm not a coffee drinker, so...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

Is the Popeyes comparable to the thought that Dunkin' Donuts coffee is better in Boston (birthplace of DD) than it is anywhere else? (I'm not a coffee drinker, so...)
Never heard of that before :shrug: I'm sure there's probably some better fried chicken out there (this Gus' everyone speaks of sounds great)...but on terms of flavor of food in its type compared to non-fast food restaurants, Popeye's is probably the best fast food restaurant.

culdeus said:
[icon] said:
culdeus said:
Amtrak operates a line called "The City of New Orleans" that runs from Chicago to New Orleans, through Memphis. It's a somewhat historic route that has been immortalized in the the song of the same name that was made famous by Arlo Guthrie and has been performed by Nelson, Cash, etc.

Reason for the train is it's only about $120 round trip, and the lounge car is actually quite comfortable (similar to that photo). We usually grab a couple booths together (group of 12 on this trip), setup a bluetooth speaker (AC power provided), order some drinks and play cards / socialize until we arrive in New Orleans. It makes the trip a couple hours longer but instead of dreading the drive there (and back), it becomes one of the enjoyable parts of the trip.

Bar is well stocked and reasonable. The meal service is surprisingly good. We usually sneak a bottle or two on board and mix some of our own drinks as well. On the way home we'll sometimes get a sleeper room and doze on the way back. Just depends.

Actually is a lot of fun. :thumbup:
No way the fried chicken survives the trip. I'd lay 50-1 odds on this
in a ziploc in ice...ill take that bet on the chicken being delicious. any amount. right now. we will video tape it upon arrival. Haven't you ever eaten leftover chicken?

culdeus said:
[icon] said:
culdeus said:
Amtrak operates a line called "The City of New Orleans" that runs from Chicago to New Orleans, through Memphis. It's a somewhat historic route that has been immortalized in the the song of the same name that was made famous by Arlo Guthrie and has been performed by Nelson, Cash, etc.

Reason for the train is it's only about $120 round trip, and the lounge car is actually quite comfortable (similar to that photo). We usually grab a couple booths together (group of 12 on this trip), setup a bluetooth speaker (AC power provided), order some drinks and play cards / socialize until we arrive in New Orleans. It makes the trip a couple hours longer but instead of dreading the drive there (and back), it becomes one of the enjoyable parts of the trip.

Bar is well stocked and reasonable. The meal service is surprisingly good. We usually sneak a bottle or two on board and mix some of our own drinks as well. On the way home we'll sometimes get a sleeper room and doze on the way back. Just depends.

in a ziploc in ice...ill take that bet on the chicken being delicious. any amount. right now. we will video tape it upon arrival. Haven't you ever eaten leftover chick

culdeus said:
[icon] said:
culdeus said:

in a ziploc in ice...ill take that bet on the chicken being delicious. any amount. right now. we will video tape it upon arrival. Haven't you ever eaten leftover chicken?
I took it to mean he didn't think the guys could help themselves from eating it and it would be gone before train pulled in to New Orleans. :shrug:

Holy crap that pic is awesome worm. Nice work. I put you on the facebook (tell me if you want it off).

The chicken ranking question. No way popeyes is on that list if Im voting, even though I like it. Tie for 1st: McHardys / Willie Maes.

Tie for 3rd. Dookie Chase/Praline Connection. Not up for voting..the wings i'm unleashing on the crowd at le bon temps tomorrow night for the Saints game. They will be the same ones I do at Memphis in May, although their will be be 4 sauced versions tomorrow.

The bar buys them from me and gives them out for free. Icon and his group of 16 will have the first ones tomorrow at some point,...while i'm stuffing my face on cold Gus'

otello said:
Holy crap that pic is awesome worm. Nice work. I put you on the facebook (tell me if you want it off).

Tipsy, friendly wager on the game?

The chicken ranking question. No way popeyes is on that list if Im voting, even though I like it. Tie for 1st: McHardys / Willie Maes.

Tie for 3rd. Dookie Chase/Praline Connection. Not up for voting..the wings i'm unleashing on the crowd at le bon temps tomorrow night for the Saints game. They will be the same ones I do at Memphis in May, although their will be be 4 sauced versions tomorrow.

The bar buys them from me and gives them out for free. Icon and his group of 16 will have the first ones tomorrow at some point,...while i'm stuffing my face on cold Gus'
:goodposting:

culdeus said:
No way the fried chicken survives the trip. I'd lay 50-1 odds on this.
Could you at least give us the Debbie Downer scientific breakdown of how the muscle will break down 33.5% more than it should due to the speed of the train coupled with the down hill trajectory of the tracks since they are headed south? Or that the plastic in the cooler will have a negative polymerization gradient to the buttermilk in the batter?
I'm guessing he's referring to myself or someone in our party diving into it. :lol:

I'll be vacuum-ish packing it in freezer bags, then sealing in a foam cooler on ice for the trip. Tipsy will be picking it up Friday when we get into town so ideally it will only be in the cooler for 10ish hours. It won't be as good as fresh but I'm guessing tipsy will do a suitable job of reheating to where it will still be quite enjoyable. :)
Damnit, you might be right. I was really wanting a full scientific explanation on why it wouldn't make the trip.

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

Never heard of that before :shrug: I'm sure there's probably some better fried chicken out there (this Gus' everyone speaks of sounds great)...but on terms of flavor of food in its type compared to non-fast food restaurants, Popeye's is probably the best fast food restaurant.
Minnesota isn't exactly a haven for fried chicken, but Popeyes have recently began to spread around here (there was one in Minneapolis for a while but I never got there). It is the best fried chicken I've ever had.

[icon] said:
Tony Jabroni said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
[icon] said:
21 hours and we're on a train to NOLA... Finally get to hit up McClures Saturday. Can't wait. :banned:

Tipsy has informed me that he happens to have ordered some more of that Lamb... kinda exited to taste some of that. Bringing a cooler full of his fave Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken upon request. The GF is threatening to intercept said shipment :lol:

Definitely looking forward to an all meats and sides platter to get a taste of everything. Will snap many pics and post up.
I've had Gus's fried chicken, it is indeed among the best I've ever had if not the best.
How is the seasoning and is it spicy?
It's a very light/thin "batter" for the frying process (which I like) and the seasonings are indeed spicy. For a scoville hound like myself they're pretty mild, but for the average person, their lips will be tingling a good bit after eating there. I know some folks (very sensitive to heat) that can't eat their chicken.

I've heard they soak in buttermilk for a day prior which results in an EXTREMELY moist/tender piece of chicken. When coupled with the great seasoning... it truly is in the running for the best fried chicken you will ever eat. It's 1 block off the river here in Memphis so Tipsy ate there like 2-3 times over 4 days while he was in for BBQfest last year :lol:
There are multiple Gus's locations in Memphis and shockingly I have never had their chciken..

Holy crap that pic is awwesome worm. Nice work. I put you on the facebook (tell me if you want it off).

Dookie Chase really didn't do it for me

You're the 2nd person to mention McHardy's, I need to try it out.

Prolly need to go to Willie Mae's again, it's been awhile.

I have no doubt that you're wings would be some of (if not) the best in town. I used your recipe and they were great...and I suck at wings

some rub if yall happen to win? wish i could get a fresh Pat's cheese steak, but i'd settle for pretzels.

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

This may be an older thing that has gone away, but I had always heard from fellow people from Boston that DD coffee was better there and the further you got from Boston, it just wasn't as good, to the point where some wouldn't go there outside of New England.

some rub if yall happen to win? wish i could get a fresh Pat's cheese steak, but i'd settle for pretzels.
I'll get you soft pretzels if the Saints win, but I would like a big sampler platter of meat sent to me, assuming that you have a way to do that.

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

This may be an older thing that has gone away, but I had always heard from fellow people from Boston that DD coffee was better there and the further you got from Boston, it just wasn't as good, to the point where some wouldn't go there outside of New England.
I spent a good bit of time in Boston, MA, New England a while back.

I could never be ok with the coffee, DD or others. This is a New Orleans thing, it's not just the northeast, it's everywhere.

Finally I walk into a place in the North End. Turns out I loved it, I went there every chance I could; finally I asked who was the brewmaster, owner, whatever. Turns out teh owner had trained at a PJs in New Orleans and basically took the brewing style with him.

Of course.

Favorite wings

1) WOW Café & Wingery

3) Bayou Hot Wings
Favorite fried chicken

1) Popeyes

3) Mr. Ed's (tie)

3) Raising Cane's (tie)

I spent a good bit of time in Boston, MA, New England a while back.

I could never be ok with the coffee, DD or others. This is a New Orleans thing, it's not just the northeast, it's everywhere.

Finally I walk into a place in the North End. Turns out I loved it, I went there every chance I could; finally I asked who was the brewmaster, owner, whatever. Turns out teh owner had trained at a PJs in New Orleans and basically took the brewing style with him.

Of course.
Interesting, I can only relay what others have told me. I don't drink coffee, never have never will. I get my caffeine from Mt. Dew!

Pat's - my peak in gluttony. Got TWO and ate 'em in the cab on the way to the airport many years ago.

Oh my that was one hell of a meal. Thanks so much for great chow and hospitality. The all meats all sides is a mountain of food. Everyone game away very impressed. More details later... On the train back from New Orleans now. Another hour and change.. I need some sleep.

Okay more details forthcoming now... back in the office.

Train down was a blast. Had 10 people with us on the train and met up with a bunch more in NOLA... I guess we had a group of ~16 or so when we hit Le Bonne Temps / McClures Saturday AM. Damn St Charles Streetcar was getting worked at so it dumped us off halfway there with the promise of a bus (eventually) coming. Finally made our way over. We hit across the street for some bloody mary's to get the day going then over for some chow.

As promised he had the lamb ribs on special. I ordered an All Meat All Sides and a couple bones of the lamb to taste. HUGE array of food. Come hungry if you're going for the sampler. At $24ish (?) it is an excellent value. Neil graciously gave the GF and I the "Gus' delivery discount (which he didn't have to do). Thanks GB. :thumbup:

Walking up outside >

Cool exterior wall looking across to Le Bonne Temps >

Tipsy showing off his Lang smoker (across the street, though not too bad of a walk)

Walking in... the counter / Menu. Can also see the cool ceiling art. The guy who did the exterior wall and cieling also supplied a bunch of cool paintings inside. Some great stuff.

Sauce Options >

McClure's shirts and soda options at the counter >

The man at work >

The food review:
Fantastic. Truly some great cue'.

Lamb Ribs : Delicious. Extremely moist and pulled clean from the bone.

Pork Ribs: Great rub. Great meaty flavor. had one rib that had some cling to it but they were fantastic.
Brisket: Amazing smoke ring and bark. My first couple pieces were dry (end cut apparently). Niel noticed and brought out another slice or two that was the best piece of brisket I've ever had. No joke.

Chicken: Damn son. So moist. So good.

The Sausage: The best I've ever tasted. Again, not kidding. Great snap. Great flavor.

Sides: were all very good to great. Interesting take on the slaw (very rough cut and crisp, i liked it a lot). LOVED the greens. Beans were nice and meaty. Jambalaya seemed to be a SLIGHT step down from the lofty (best ever) from Memphis in May, but still among the best I've had. Potato salad got rave reviews from the group as well. :thumbup:

Hospitality/Service: Obviously Neil was awesome... giving everyone a tour of the pit and taking time out to chat 'que with everyone. Took some McClure's Comp BBQ Team shots in front of the wall (we had a 4 total guys from the team with us). Funny enough, while my GF was rocking her McClure's shirt proudly, neil had a 2012 Slab Yo Mama BBQ tee shirt under his McClure's work shirt. Repping from his first year up in Memphis. :thumbup:

The rest of his staff seemed super nice as well. Steady line of customers through the day... he was busy as hell which was nice to see. :thumbup:

So we bid McClure's adieu and Ended up heading down Magazine to Tracey's to watch the Saint's game. One of the guys we were with knew the owner so we had a huge section right in front of a projection screen. The owner came by later and dropped a ####load of Popeyes and Gatorade onto our table (apparently that's "what Sean Payton had brought in for the Pre-Game meal this week")... pretty cool of em. Went out afterward till God knows when... good times.

Thinking about "popping up" again down at the Rusty Nail in the warehouse district on Fridays for lunch & happy hour. I'm already running a pit full time...why not tap into another possible lunch crowd on Fridays that cannot make it to me uptown. Wifes office of 400+ is just up the street too...

And one of the tv shows is definitely using me. They are filming here at the restaurant for 5 hours on 2/12 and 2 hours on 2/14. The final filming is done downtown on the 14th.

Time for my crash diet...portly & self important.

One shift a week is a pretty small expansion....but it gets my foot back in the door in a very popular bar that only uses food trucks and has room for a full time presence .....it makes great sense for me to try in my humble opinion.

One shift a week is a pretty small expansion....but it gets my foot back in the door in a very popular bar that only uses food trucks and has room for a full time presence .....it makes great sense for me to try in my humble opinion.
strike while the iron is hot. I can not wait until I get down there

In all seriousness, it's awesome that you feel comfortable enough to even consider it. Congratulations on your current and future success.

whoops.....one of the owners of the bar wasn't in the loop....we won't be popping up down there just yet it seems....he has some things booked already....but we will shoot for a better month.

whoops.....one of the owners of the bar wasn't in the loop....we won't be popping up down there just yet it seems....he has some things booked already....but we will shoot for a better month.
Happens, but at least they know you are interested again, and IIRC that was the place with the outdoor seating, right (too lazy to look through the thread to find out). What about catching them in the spring? I am sure the lunch crowd might be aching for some quality 'que by then...

Congrats on the tv show. Let us know how to stream it due course!

FBG "cactus" sent some of his friends visiting here from Arizona a week or two ago. They brought in a couple that lives in town but I don't believe they had been here. Now that local couple is letting me cater a big wedding party of 200 folks for them in a month.

Send me your address cactus. Rub on the way....

FBG "cactus" sent some of his friends visiting here from Arizona a week or two ago. They brought in a couple that lives in town but I don't believe they had been here. Now that local couple is letting me cater a big wedding party of 200 folks for them in a month.

:hifive:

Attaboy Cactus

looks like I might be judging an amatuer BBQ cook off filmed here in Nola...new show....I can't compete because I'm a restaurant. filming in December.... I get a limo :)
Need any help tasting and limo sitting?

Seriously though, if you need help with Hogs for the Cause, let me know, as long as I don't have any conflicts, I'm interested in learning and don't mind doing Charlie work
Tap...you doing HFTC this year?

looks like I might be judging an amatuer BBQ cook off filmed here in Nola...new show....I can't compete because I'm a restaurant. filming in December.... I get a limo :)
Need any help tasting and limo sitting?

Seriously though, if you need help with Hogs for the Cause, let me know, as long as I don't have any conflicts, I'm interested in learning and don't mind doing Charlie work
Tap...you doing HFTC this year?
Yep he is.

You got it Brotha! I heard that you landed the wedding gig - congrats!

By the way, did you know that the Bride-to-be is the Mayor's niece?

Rub would be SWEET - I do a fair bit of smokin here in the desert!

You got it Brotha! I heard that you landed the wedding gig - congrats!

By the way, did you know that the Bride-to-be is the Mayor's niece?
Cactus bringing the CONNECTIONS. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread