What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mel Kiper Jr (1 Viewer)

This hindsight thing is cool!
Hindsight or not, the Cards were a pretty good team in 2007(8-8) and picking them as the worst for 2008 when there were so many more deserving candidate does beg an explanation. I doubt that many people with a decent amount of NFL knowledge would have even picked the Cards to be the worst in their division, much less the worst team in the NFL.

Hindsight or not, the Cards were a pretty good team in 2007(8-8) and picking them as the worst for 2008 when there were so many more deserving candidate does beg an explanation. I doubt that many people with a decent amount of NFL knowledge would have even picked the Cards to be the worst in their division, much less the worst team in the NFL.
In fairness to Mel, he probably thought Leinart was going to be the QB.

Thinking back, I might have picked the Falcons. Though picking the Cards was a stretch, things change so much year to year in the NFL that I cant say I find his pick all that atrocious.

I'll go a step further and say I remember a lot of media folks picking Zona to win the division, so Mel picking them last of 32 teams was pretty bizarre.That said, I still enjoy Mel. I guess I'll give him a pass on this one since it's not his forte. I don't rely on him and don't think he's the best in his niche either (the draft), but he's still good for entertainment value to me.

Greenie actually picked Arizona as his team to watch for 2008 in the ESPN the Mag NFL preseason issue

ESPN has enough employees that they are bound to get someone to predict correctly and someone to pick dead wrong for each team in each sport

I am also of the belief that Mel thought Leinart would be QB and I woulda picked them at about 3 to 5 wins also if that woulda been the case

Breaking News:

Millions of people bought houses with confidence and now they're getting foreclosed on in record numbers!!!

George Bush had intelligence saying there were WMD in Iraq!!!

How about cutting Kiper some slack.

Breaking News: Millions of people bought houses with confidence and now they're getting foreclosed on in record numbers!!!George Bush had intelligence saying there were WMD in Iraq!!!How about cutting Kiper some slack.
If Leinart would have been QB, he might have been 100% correct. But yeah, people should settle down. When you're on ESPN/Radio/TV you're forced to toss out 100s of predictions. News flash, some don't pan out. He also thought Mike Williams would make the HOF. All in all, Kiper is great tv/radio. He's not afraid to put stuff out there, call out teams, call out GMs. And he does know his stuff. He scouts like mad. He's not making up this stuff. He's good entertainment, usually has some solid info, and always fun to watch. If you have a major problem with Kiper, you take this stuff too seriously.

What's the dumbest thing everyone here has ever predicted?

I'll go first: I bought many shares of Lucent stock when it was valued at $40 per share, it is now worth $2 per share. I thought I would make alot of money, I was wrong. Oops.

Edited in order to not sound like a snob. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Breaking News: Millions of people bought houses with confidence and now they're getting foreclosed on in record numbers!!!George Bush had intelligence saying there were WMD in Iraq!!!How about cutting Kiper some slack.
Wow, that's a whole pot full of stupid in that post.

How so, you don't agree that people besides Mel Kiper are guilty of making bad predictions?

Also remember, it makes better tv for people to stretch with their predictions. What if everyone on ESPN predicted Oakland to have the worst record. What fun is that?

Also remember, it makes better tv for people to stretch with their predictions. What if everyone on ESPN predicted Oakland to have the worst record. What fun is that?
I actually prefer people trying to honestly answer questions. The whole shock value of crazy predictions is a waste of time.

What's the dumbest thing everyone here has ever predicted?I'll go first: I bought many shares of Lucent stock when it was valued at $40 per share, it is now worth $2 per share. I thought I would make alot of money, I was wrong. Oops.Edited in order to not sound like a snob. :excited:
I bought quite a few shares of Washington Mutual @ $10. Now it will cost almost as much to sell them as I'd get.

I actually prefer people trying to honestly answer questions. The whole shock value of crazy predictions is a waste of time.
Yep, some of the worst moments in the shark pool involve bold prediction for the sake of bold predictions. If posters just make well thought out opinions, there will be enough times where he or she will be against the grain w/o being illogical.

How so, you don't agree that people besides Mel Kiper are guilty of making bad predictions?
Get out of here.. I will not let Mel Kipers GENIUS mind be hijacked.Bottom line Mel Kiper is a JACK and gets paid to have decent knowladge which he has proven ONCE again he has NONE

Get out of here.. I will not let Mel Kipers GENIUS mind be hijacked.Bottom line Mel Kiper is a JACK and gets paid to have decent knowladge which he has proven ONCE again he has NONE
I think it would help in discussions around draft time if people better understood the role played by people like Kiper and Maycock. They are entertainers only - just like all sports "journalists". Kiper entertains by having a crazy hairstyle, an encylcopedia-like mind for names, stats and NFL buzz words, and making bold predictions, bold statements and hopefully generating a bit of discussion or controversy in the process. He is very good at that, and is paid accordingly. What he can't do, and should not be expected to do, is have any actual knowledge about what real football teams are thinking or planning or what they will do in the draft or on the field. No one in the sports media has even a small thimble-full of knowledge regarding the scouting of current players as compared to an actual NFL team scout or personell guy. Keep this in mind as the draft approaches, and it will all make much more sense.

I think it would help in discussions around draft time if people better understood the role played by people like Kiper and Maycock. They are entertainers only - just like all sports "journalists". Kiper entertains by having a crazy hairstyle, an encylcopedia-like mind for names, stats and NFL buzz words, and making bold predictions, bold statements and hopefully generating a bit of discussion or controversy in the process. He is very good at that, and is paid accordingly. What he can't do, and should not be expected to do, is have any actual knowledge about what real football teams are thinking or planning or what they will do in the draft or on the field. No one in the sports media has even a small thimble-full of knowledge regarding the scouting of current players as compared to an actual NFL team scout or personell guy. Keep this in mind as the draft approaches, and it will all make much more sense.
You would lump Mayock in with Kiper? Seriously? I agree Kiper is "Hollywood" but Mayock I think is as serious a draft guru as one can become. The guy looks at film when he's sleeping. Did Kiper go to the senior bowl, nevermind the practices? Mayock did. I have consistently found Mayock to be a consistantly reliable pundit on NFL draft prospects. Kiper= Wayne Newton. If Mayock was only an entertainer, he would have more hair. 'Nuff said about that.

You would lump Mayock in with Kiper? Seriously? I agree Kiper is "Hollywood" but Mayock I think is as serious a draft guru as one can become. The guy looks at film when he's sleeping. Did Kiper go to the senior bowl, nevermind the practices? Mayock did. I have consistently found Mayock to be a consistantly reliable pundit on NFL draft prospects. Kiper= Wayne Newton. If Mayock was only an entertainer, he would have more hair. 'Nuff said about that.
Mike Mayock is nothing like Mel Kiper Jr. Kiper is a joke. I know I was hating on Mike when he said Cutler was the better QB than Lienhart and Young, but he knew what he was talking about.

WOW!With all you jokers on Tenn wagon you would think they could win their division but we all know(atleast I hope) there is 0% chance of that. Most of you will be jumping off soon enough.
Pot to kettle, come in kettle. Billy Ball is a fraud. Billy Ball you have zero room to talk.

The Cowboys and Jaguars were my preseason Super Bowl picks so I can't really bash Mel.

Who cares about team predictions anyway?

I'd rather he was correct about player assessments and how specific guys will fit with certain teams.

WOW, comparing Mayock to Kiper takes away all your credibility.

Steeler43 said:
WOW, comparing Mayock to Kiper takes away all your credibility.
I'm not too concerned with my "credibility" on an anonymous fantasy football message board, but would just note that you completely missed the point. Maycock, like Kiper and others, is a sports "journalist". As such, his job is to sell product, not draft football players. I don't know his background, but if he has a long history of experience with an NFL team as a scout or in personnel (like Mike Lombardi at nationalfootballpost.com), I might place him in a slightly different category than Kiper and other reporters, but I don't believe that is the case.

WOW!With all you jokers on Tenn wagon you would think they could win their division but we all know(atleast I hope) there is 0% chance of that. Most of you will be jumping off soon enough.
Pot to kettle, come in kettle. Billy Ball is a fraud. Billy Ball you have zero room to talk.
Dude is it not enough that you continue to keep sending me wierd pm's you have to post here too? Beat it.edit to add... atleast your posts is understandable, where as your pm's make me feel like im taking crazy pills to try and figure out your point is...

IIRC, I honestly thought Oakland, Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta and Detroit would scrape the bottom of the barrel in 2008. I prefer to think back on this more as how Baltimore, Miami and Atlanta outperformed as opposed to how much of an idiot I was (am).

I do remember thinking that Arizona would be OK, but would not suck as much as in years past.

I just remembered another preseason prediction that was as bad.

John Kitna predicted 10 wins for the Lions. Gee, he only missed it by 10.

I would love to see Billy Ball Thorton make even half of the predictions and see if he comes out looking like a genius or not. I absolutely love it when people throw stones at people when they themselves could not do better.

In fact, since Billy Ball Thorton did not start this thread back when Mel said this and waited for this now to 'make a point' he just shows that he himself is the 'genius'.

Billy Ball Thorton, word of advice- talk when you have something to talk about.

BusterTBronco said:
Out of a field of 88 draft "gurus", Mel Kiper Jr had the 3rd best mock draft this year.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

The haters will continue to hate while Mel Kiper just goes on being one of the best in the business.
I'm intrigued that the best any of these guys did in terms of matching players to teams was 11 out of 32.-QG
To be fair, it would be a lot easier for these guys if the NFL teams weren't allowed to trade. Picking 11 exact out of about 33000 possibilities isn't really that bad.

Isn't bashing Kiper for a NFL team record prediction a bit like bashing A.J. Smith for bad play calls? Sure, maybe he shouldn't have made the prediction since it isn't his wheelhouse, but its not like he was going around preaching Tim Tebow as the unanimous #1 overall selection.

BusterTBronco said:
Out of a field of 88 draft "gurus", Mel Kiper Jr had the 3rd best mock draft this year.

The haters will continue to hate while Mel Kiper just goes on being one of the best in the business.
forums such as these tend to attract a lot of wannabees. not sure if it's entirely a 'hate' thing or simply jealousy. either way, I feel so fortunate to be in the company of such acclaimed experts who own the no-nothings on ESPN...

BusterTBronco said:

How are "mock drafts" his, or anyone's, "business"? Hes a college football analyst and talent evaluator.
busi-ness (biz-nes) noun.an occupation, profession, or trade.

a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.

BusterTBronco said:

How are "mock drafts" his, or anyone's, "business"? Hes a college football analyst and talent evaluator.

a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.
My question remains open. But thanks for the non-answer.

BusterTBronco said:

My question remains open. But thanks for the non-answer.
You don't think that a mock draft is a decent measure of college talent evaluation with regards to NFL needs? Kinda goes with the territory I think.

Mock drafts are a poor way to evaluate talent. I'd be much more interested in if their projections of talent (i.e. Kiper's Big Board) gets the players general draft area right. For example, did Kiper's top 10 get drafted in the top 20, did his 2nd 10 go somewhere between 1 and 30, did his 3rd 10 go somewhere between 10 and 40, etc. Some teams will make reaches that distort things, but for the most part a talent evaluator (particularly one profiting from their "insight") should know that Alex Smith is contending to be the top pick overall as opposed to a 3rd round choice, which is where Kiper had him March 1 of that year.

Mock drafts are a poor way to evaluate talent. I'd be much more interested in if their projections of talent (i.e. Kiper's Big Board) gets the players general draft area right. For example, did Kiper's top 10 get drafted in the top 20, did his 2nd 10 go somewhere between 1 and 30, did his 3rd 10 go somewhere between 10 and 40, etc. Some teams will make reaches that distort things, but for the most part a talent evaluator (particularly one profiting from their "insight") should know that Alex Smith is contending to be the top pick overall as opposed to a 3rd round choice, which is where Kiper had him March 1 of that year.
So far he has performed about a 3rd round talent. He has had some ups. But MANY downs.

Mel is pretty good at what he does which is predict where prospects are drafted in the first couple of rounds. But it's a mistake to think he's an expert at projecting the success of college football players at the NFL level. Mel's job with the 2010 draft class is over and the results are in. He wins or loses based on the order players are drafted. For the NFL player personnel guys their accuracy for the 2010 draft class won't be judged for years to come, because they are judged based on NFL performance, not accuracy of guessing draft selection order. That's a huge difference.

Users who are viewing this thread