What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Members March Mock - Match (1 Viewer)

Round 3 Oakland Raiders Select:

Anthony Walker Jr. ILB Northwestern

The Raiders have been neglecting the ILB position for a couple of seasons now and it has been a big weakness. Perry Riley Jr. was a decent edition part way through the season but an upgrade here is a must. Anthony Walker Jr. is good against the run and can hang with TE's in pass protection which has been a problem for the Raiders the past couple of seasons.

Round 1: Dalvin Cook RB Florida State

Round 2: Fabian Moreau CB UCLA

Round 3: Anthony Walker Jr. ILB Northwestern

3.25 Houston Selects - Elijah Qualls - DT/NT Washington

Houston needs a Wilfork Replacement to stuff the run up the middle and keep bodies off of JJ and Clowney.  This big boy is a good fit.

NFL Comparison

Corey Liuget

Bottom Line

Athletic interior defender with the play traits and ability to play three-technique or nose tackle in the right scheme. Qualls' draft stock could be a hurt by a lack of desired length and a growing concern in scouting circles that he is a boom-or-bust prospect with concerns over his future weight and work ethic. He has the talent to become a solid, early-down run defender but is unlikely to ever factor as a pass rusher.
-Lance Zierlein

There's other good safeties if you want to pick one as a replacement.

I know nobody's asking but as a Vikings fan here's my suggestions for this pick...

Marcus Maye

Justin Evans

Wayne Gallman
I was just going off the list that he PM'd me. It was a list of names, not a "best position X" or "BPA" type of thing. I do appreciate the help though. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just going off the list that he PM'd me. It was a list of names, not a "best position X" or "BPA" type of thing. I do appreciate the help though. 
Didn't know if he gave you more than one name.

Garcia is a pretty good player but a significant knock on him is that he can't seem to maintain his weight. I suppose a professional team's nutrition program would make a difference

With the 3.26 pick, Seattle selects S Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami

Speed, jump, grit.  Fits the Seattle mold, and we saw at the end of the year what having S issues leads to.

3.27 the Chiefs take:

Howard Wilson - CB - Houston

"He played bail coverage all game long against DeDe Westbrook so it was hard to get anything out of that. He has a lot of physical talent but I think he will struggle if you ask him to go from his conference into taking on NFL route-runners. Might have been a first-round prospect if he had gone back." -- AFC Director of College Scouting

This is not the position that I wanted to take but I thinks opposite of Peters can is a spot that can be improved. 

3.28 Dallas Selects - KD Cannon WR Baylor

Another weapon for Dak to throw to, his speed and athleticism should allow him to be a home run threat in the Dallas offense, where most D's will be focused on stopping the run in 2017.

3.30 - Pittsburgh Steelers: Rasaul Douglass, CB, West Virginia

Used the first two picks on front 7 nabbing Tak McKinley and Carl Lawson to improve pass rush and possible Timmons replacement. Viewed improving pass rush as #1 off season goal. The #2 goal was improving the CB's, hopefully Golson will be available this year but even if so he's a better slot CB and team badly needed a long term solution next to Burns.

3.31 Atlanta Falcons- Dorian Johnson- G- Pittsburgh

I'm handling Falcons and Steelers draft and this is first time I've addressed the offensive side. Falcons three primary goals in draft were improve pass rush, improve run defense, get a G. The first two picks were easy in that I felt value and need were both present. This is not a value pick but in a draft short on OL you likely don't get a lot of value picks but happy to address arguably the biggest need on the offensive side.

The Jets 4th round pick can either be done by consensus or some one else can take over for me. I won't be around for the rest of the day/night.

I will only take partial responsibility for that one. That scoundrel @Biabreakable set me up by giving be a guy that had gone way before he gave me his list. 

Good catch though. And thanks for the PM. Probably would've missed it otherwise. 
Thanks for making the picks.

Yeah I missed that Williams was already gone somehow. That seemed a bit too good to be true anyways.

I can still pick for Miami if your guys didn't get that far.

Borden said:
Vikings take

Antonio Garcia OT Troy

Per PM
From what I have read this guy is a bit of a project, which I kind of want to avoid for the Vikings as projects TJ Clemmings has not panned out so far. I was reading that offensive linemen play better in their 3rd and further seasons, than they do in their first two, so maybe TJ Clemmings will be good enough to start later on in his career, but he was one of the worst starters at tackle the last two seasons in the league and should not have been starting this soon.

With that said Garcia has the upside to play left tackle if he can get a bit stronger and improves technique. 

I have read that Troy's offense really helps offensive linemen out in regards to pass protection, they gave up the fewest sacks in college football 2016 and Garcia did not allow any last season. I can work with a project like that.

3.32 Patriots take their new battering ram of a back and replace Blount. 

Brian hill, rb Wyoming

Tough kid, will get the tough yards.  Seems to be a really good pass blocker already though every rookie needs to improve there.  He's not elusive but we don't need him to be - just go out there, get those 3-5 yards and keep Tom upright. 

@Biabreakable up

With pick 3.33 the Miami Dolphins select Eddie Jackson FS Alabama. 

He missed part of the 2016 due to injury, but when healthy I think he can play free safety for the Dolphin and form a nice tandem with Reshad Jones.

Miami still needs LB help badly, but I feel a bit better about their secondary now that they have King and Jackson.

1.22    MIA    Evan Engram    TE    O'Miss
2.22    MIA    Kevin King    CB    Washington
3.33    MIA    Eddie Jackson    FS    Alabama

Since we lost Ted Ginn and Mr. Richardson is already going to fire me for the Joe Mixon pick...

3.34 Panthers select WR DEDE WESTBROOK OKLAHOMA

...he's like Ginn, but he can catch!

1.08 DE SOLOMON THOMAS STANFORD

2.08 RB JOE MIXON OKLAHOMA

3.08 CB JOURDAN LEWIS MICHIGAN

3.34 WR DEDE WESTBROOK OKLAHOMA

With pick #3.35 the Baltimore Ravens select.....

Dawuane Smoot, OLB Illinois

Ravens added a big lineman to their 3-4, a big play ball hawking CB, signed a FA S, and now add an edge rushing OLB to their revamped defense.

1. Mike Williams, WR Clemson

2. Adoree Jackson, CB USC

3. Carlos Watkins, DL Clemson

4. Dawuane Smoot, OLB Illinois

I've read the same, but I am drafting on talent.

Character be damned!

lol
... and whenever you hear these reports you have to wonder how much of that could be a smoke screen at this time of year. When guys actually do something stupid before the draft(get pulled over for drunk driving, pee dirty, etc) that carries a lot more weight to me than "some folks think he's a bad guy". I don't think anyone here could ever REALLY know before the draft. 

I agree you cannot put much belief in stuff being leaked out by agents and so on, and you often have unnamed sources for these types of things.

Now McDowell having bad interviews, seems more legit to me than unnamed source told Scheftler or whoever, but sorting out the real stuff from the rumor isn't easy, so just best to be skeptical if you do not know the source of the information.

We will need a draft order for round four if we are to keep going.

I agree you cannot put much belief in stuff being leaked out by agents and so on, and you often have unnamed sources for these types of things.

Now McDowell having bad interviews, seems more legit to me than unnamed source told Scheftler or whoever, but sorting out the real stuff from the rumor isn't easy, so just best to be skeptical if you do not know the source of the information.

We will need a draft order for round four if we are to keep going.
I think I believed that one as well I guess because it dove-tails into the general sense you get from his immaturity on the field. Sometimes you see a guy acting a certain way and maybe you imagine him making poor decisions away from the field(thinking of Burfict or Manziel for instance). Maybe I shouldn't feel like I can connect the dots like that but it could just human nature to look for a confirmation bias when you think a guy is lazy or a d-bag. You have to be careful though because some players are just a lightning rod for "haters". For instance Cam Newton gets a lot of hate... way too much hate and I remember people saying all sorts of things about him before he was drafted. It still makes people go berzerk if he puts a towel over his head while sitting on the bench.

I will admit that I don't know much about Westbrook away from the field. There could be concrete examples of him being a bad guy that I'm not aware of. Even then though..... the stolen crab legs were a huge story and a true story but a few years later..... does it have anything to do with what type of player Winston is? It certainly didn't drop his draft stock, but maybe QB's are different.

I updated the spread sheet for the 4th round. Please let me know if there are any errors.

Patriots trade their 1st and 3rd to the Saints for Brandin Cooks.  :excited:

Knowing this, would the Saints draft the same players as the Patriots did in this mock?

Jabril Peppers and Brian Hill were those picks I believe.

I updated the spread sheet for the 4th round. Please let me know if there are any errors.

Patriots trade their 1st and 3rd to the Saints for Brandin Cooks.  :excited:

Knowing this, would the Saints draft the same players as the Patriots did in this mock?

Jabril Peppers and Brian Hill were those picks I believe.
Peppers would still help the saints a lot imo. Hill makes less sense for NO. 

Sorry about the delay

3.36 Tennessee Titans take Taywan Taylor, wr western Kentucky

Marcus was pounding at our door asking (ever so politely) for some help on offense, we're happy to oblige. 

Freak athlete, good teammate, should find a role quickly.  After losing out on cooks, Tay-Tay is a fine consolation.  

Jamal adams, S

Zach Cunningham, ILB

Akhello witherspoon, corner

Taywan Taylor, receiver

@Andy Dufresne up with Denver

I think a lot of teams would rather have Cooks than those picks.
The contract/$ is the only thing that might impact the choice but Pats have tons of money to spend. Cooks is clearly better than those picks. Most NFL draft picks fail to reach potential. 

3.37 - Denver Broncos- Ardarius Stewart, WR Alabama 

Their WR depth is terrible and he can hopefully take over kick return duties for the fumbler Norwood.

@Duckboy is up

3.37 - Denver Broncos- Ardarius Stewart, WR Alabama 

Their WR depth is terrible and he can hopefully take over kick return duties for the fumbler Norwood.
Debated between him, Taylor and cannon for a while.  Apologize for the name drop but it's not like he's unknown. 

If you are interested still, I'd accept this. I'll give it a bit before I pick. 
It's the weekend but let's keep this moving.  So pick!  (Yeah, it sat on me overnight cuz I missed that I was up :bag: )

Long enough I guess. 

With the 3.38 pick, Seattle selects CB Shaquill Griffin, UCF

Hit the Seahawks marks for arm length and adds a speed element. 

The cooks trade threw everything off. But I'm going to pretend it didn't happen which keeps the Patriots draft at

Taco Charlton, DE

Jabrill peppers, s/lb

Gerald Everett, TE

Brian hill, rb

Without cooks we'll take Malachi Dupree, receiver LSU 

After the trade we're probably taking Justin Evans, S Texas a&m

The cooks trade threw everything off. But I'm going to pretend it didn't happen which keeps the Patriots draft at

Taco Charlton, DE

Jabrill peppers, s/lb

Gerald Everett, TE

Brian hill, rb

Without cooks we'll take Malachi Dupree, receiver LSU 

After the trade we're probably taking Justin Evans, S Texas a&m
?

I thought the Allen trade through everything off, probably don't pull the trigger on Everett unless Gronk's medicals are more concerning than we know.

Why would you move forward in the draft as if you don't have Cooks? Not complaining just curious.

The contract/$ is the only thing that might impact the choice but Pats have tons of money to spend. Cooks is clearly better than those picks. Most NFL draft picks fail to reach potential. 
It does seem like a very un-Patriot move trading for a guy right before a big payday. On occasion they will pay the money if they believe in the player(thinking of Revis) but for the most part they don't shell out $, especially at the WR position.

1.10 The Buffalo Bills run to the podium to select:

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Despite the need, the WR talent in the draft and FA precludes a WR selection here. This was relatively easy. Gilmore is likely gone. If not, CB is an incredible strength. If so, he's a position of need plug and play CB in McDermott's new D. 

PM sent to daveR

Bad breaking news on Sid.

Daniel Jeremiah‏[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @MoveTheSticks  11m11 minutes ago

More

Getting a bunch of texts from scouts at UW & it sounds like Sidney Jones suffered a significant lower leg injury. Feel terrible for him.

?

I thought the Allen trade through everything off, probably don't pull the trigger on Everett unless Gronk's medicals are more concerning than we know.

Why would you move forward in the draft as if you don't have Cooks? Not complaining just curious.
I took Everett partly because of Gronk's health, partly because GE's raw talent, partly because Tom likes his TEs.  I don't think allen really effects whether they'd draft Everett.  Dwayne hasn't made it through a 16 game season since his rookie year, he's really bad Gronk insurance.  And Dwayne isn't likely to play Gronk-lite anyway.  The guy, for as much hope as most of us had for him, just isn't that good a receiver or playmaker.  The three headed TE could be really good though.

If I changed the draft now to include cooks, everything is thrown off.  I'm looking at the pats draft more as "what if they hadn't traded for cooks" than what they'll really do now.  That's not what I wanted to do when we started but to change now seems the worst of both worlds. 

It does seem like a very un-Patriot move trading for a guy right before a big payday. On occasion they will pay the money if they believe in the player(thinking of Revis) but for the most part they don't shell out $, especially at the WR position.
I figure two things are at play here. 

1. They're going all-in for Brady's last few years. 

2. They think they'll get those picks replenished by trading jimmy.

If the trade essentially end up being jimmy for cooks+ a bump up, that's great for a couple years, roughly what they expect to get from Brady - and BB could ride off into the sunset with Tom. 

Users who are viewing this thread