What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Fitness Pal (1 Viewer)

I think my scale is broken. I just weighed myself and lost 6.4 lbs since Sunday. I thought by now that the weight loss would start to slow down but its just keeps dropping and dropping. Its embarrassing that its been this easy to do and that I did not start sooner. I had a goal of getting down to my HS playing weight and honestly did not think it was possible but now, not only do I believe I can get there, I think I can surpass it.

I think my scale is broken. I just weighed myself and lost 6.4 lbs since Sunday. I thought by now that the weight loss would start to slow down but its just keeps dropping and dropping. Its embarrassing that its been this easy to do and that I did not start sooner. I had a goal of getting down to my HS playing weight and honestly did not think it was possible but now, not only do I believe I can get there, I think I can surpass it.
Add me as a friend if you'd like username: CzarNikolaiLooks like you live close by. I need a gym partner...

Add me as a friend if you'd like username: CzarNikolaiLooks like you live close by. I need a gym partner...
I actually do everything in house (except for dog walks). Wife got me doing DDP Yoga and I just bang out a little weight lifting. My buddy has been using the xbox kinect and says he has really enjoyed it.

I will say the biggest b***ch is finding all the ingredients to recipes,loading then dividing by portions. Any help with this? Wife loves to cook healthy but with 8-10 items per recipe it seems a huge hassle.
It seems like a lot in the beginning but once you start entering them as recipes, you don't need to ever enter them again. Assuming your wife cooks a finite amount of meals, you will soon fill up your recipes and not have to enter very much at all.Remember to ignore all spices except salt (assuming you are watching sodium intake) when adding the ingredients. Also skip ingredients that have zero calories, like water, pickles etc, unless you are watching a lot of different nutrients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friggan awesome! Congrats!I weigh myself like 5 times to make sure the number stays the same on weigh in day.

Finally gave in and started the program this week. Seems to be a good program for me as I have had no issues staying within my limits. Hopefully I can reach my goals.

Finally gave in and started the program this week. Seems to be a good program for me as I have had no issues staying within my limits. Hopefully I can reach my goals.
:thumbup: - good luck. Best thing is that there is no "program" per se. The app just helps keep you within whatever calorie goals you have. Plus, its an eye opener on certain foods. If you got started, you can reach your goals (or more).

I will say the biggest b***ch is finding all the ingredients to recipes,loading then dividing by portions. Any help with this? Wife loves to cook healthy but with 8-10 items per recipe it seems a huge hassle.
It seems like a lot in the beginning but once you start entering them as recipes, you don't need to ever enter them again. Assuming your wife cooks a finite amount of meals, you will soon fill up your recipes and not have to enter very much at all.Remember to ignore all spices except salt (assuming you are watching sodium intake) when adding the ingredients. Also skip ingredients that have zero calories, like water, pickles etc, unless you are watching a lot of different nutrients.
This. I make recipes for everything I make and then I only have to enter them once. Beyond that use the bar code scanner a lot and if its fruit or veggies just find the correct type and don't worry about getting the perfect brand and everything.

Nice job man :thumbup:

WHOA! Nice job Buddy!

Was planning on today being my cheat day, but had a fantasy draft last night and all the food was directly in front of me. Probably ended up about 500 calories over for the day...which isn't the end of the world...but today, i know i'm going to be eating and drinking a lot :rant:

Gonna live it up tonight. I have 1690 net calories left for the day and I am headed to the local Mexican joint. What would you guys suggest to not kill every calorie. I will be drinking something.

Was planning on today being my cheat day, but had a fantasy draft last night and all the food was directly in front of me. Probably ended up about 500 calories over for the day...which isn't the end of the world...but today, i know i'm going to be eating and drinking a lot :rant:
And the weekends strike again :)

'noleswin said:
Gonna live it up tonight. I have 1690 net calories left for the day and I am headed to the local Mexican joint. What would you guys suggest to not kill every calorie. I will be drinking something.
Vodka with soda water.

'noleswin said:
stay away from Mahrgaritas, they are killers calorie wise.Stick to beer. I also try to stick with chicken at Mexican places. Chicken Fajitas are not to bad, just watch the tortillas. Eat as much salsa as you want.

'noleswin said:
stay away from Mahrgaritas, they are killers calorie wise.Stick to beer. I also try to stick with chicken at Mexican places. Chicken Fajitas are not to bad, just watch the tortillas. Eat as much salsa as you want.
I had 2 12 oz budlights 1 12 oz margarita. About 12 chips with salsa. Fajitas with chicken shrimp and steak. Did not eat tortillas

'noleswin said:
I had 2 12 oz budlights 1 12 oz margarita. About 12 chips with salsa. Fajitas with chicken shrimp and steak. Did not eat tortillas
Great work! That is probably as good as you could ave hoped for from the food side of things.

Had a cheat day today... not too terrible but got an ice cream cone and ordered pizza from my favorite local place... i didnt even like it and now I feel like total crap.

Anyone else finding they like cheat days less and less as time goes on?

Had a cheat day today... not too terrible but got an ice cream cone and ordered pizza from my favorite local place... i didnt even like it and now I feel like total crap.Anyone else finding they like cheat days less and less as time goes on?
When I first started this 50 odd days ago, there were people on here who were recommending cheat days. I have avoided them like the plague for two reasons1) I am deathly afraid it will trigger me eating too much again. 2) I was also afraid of what you experienced. Not only would I waste the calories, I would not even enjoy it. Being so close to my goal, my first "cheat" day will be the first day i switch to maintaining weight and enjoying every last extra calorie I get when MFP bumps me up.

Had a cheat day today... not too terrible but got an ice cream cone and ordered pizza from my favorite local place... i didnt even like it and now I feel like total crap.Anyone else finding they like cheat days less and less as time goes on?
Yeah, I am finding when I make poorer choices, I feel like crap. Some of it is disappointment, but my body seems to notice too. I've also found that I don't exercise (walking mostly right now), my body misses that too.

Yeah, I am finding when I make poorer choices, I feel like crap. Some of it is disappointment, but my body seems to notice too. I've also found that I don't exercise (walking mostly right now), my body misses that too.
Yea for sure... when dont work out now I feel terrible. My friend (who is pretty big in the fitness stuff) told me I need to rest more but I just dont like it, plus Im afraid I wont start up again.

When I first started this 50 odd days ago, there were people on here who were recommending cheat days. I have avoided them like the plague for two reasons1) I am deathly afraid it will trigger me eating too much again. 2) I was also afraid of what you experienced. Not only would I waste the calories, I would not even enjoy it. Being so close to my goal, my first "cheat" day will be the first day i switch to maintaining weight and enjoying every last extra calorie I get when MFP bumps me up.
I told the wife Im going to go a little cleaner on my diet over the next few weeks... even though I'm always WAY under calories, I feel like Ive been eating more processed stuff lately. Im going for a more clean diet, not quite paleo but along those lines. Want to see if I can knock out 10lbs in 3 weeks instead of 4. May be tough to do but whatever, I like a challenge. :thumbup:

Now that I have lost the weight I am finding the new numbers frustrating. I am allowed less calories and I dont burn as many when doing cardio. Maybe that is why they say the last few lbs are the hardest?

I had a bad weekend but I will make it up during the week. I am looking forward to maintenance calories.

Weigh In Day

Just finished week 7 with the app

Initial weight: 164

Week 1: 159.5 (1601 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 2: 157 (3610 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 3: 155 (4424 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 4: 153 (5213 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 5: 150 (7001 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 6: 147 (7049 Net Calories Under for week)

Week 7: 145 (6600 Net Calories Under for week)

19 pounds off in 7 weeks and over 11% change. 2 pounds from goal, so close I can taste it

No cheat days and only once in the 7 weeks did I go over my net calorie limit by a relative small amount.

Assuming I don't run into the dreaded plateau, I am likely a week or two from my final goal of 143. I have some plans in mind when that happens but will articulate those once I get there.

Weigh In DayJust finished week 7 with the appInitial weight: 164Week 1: 159.5 (1601 Net Calories Under for week)Week 2: 157 (3610 Net Calories Under for week)Week 3: 155 (4424 Net Calories Under for week)Week 4: 153 (5213 Net Calories Under for week)Week 5: 150 (7001 Net Calories Under for week)Week 6: 147 (7049 Net Calories Under for week)Week 7: 145 (6600 Net Calories Under for week)19 pounds off in 7 weeks and over 11% change. 2 pounds from goal, so close I can taste itNo cheat days and only once in the 7 weeks did I go over my net calorie limit by a relative small amount.Assuming I don't run into the dreaded plateau, I am likely a week or two from my final goal of 143. I have some plans in mind when that happens but will articulate those once I get there.
7 weeks already? Doesn't seem that long. Nice job man, way to stick with it :thumbup:

Is a smart phone required for this? Like would it be worth it if I don't have an iphone?
Just the webpage should be fine, as long as you enter everything in when you eat it (or close to). I usually find the webpage easier, but if I'm grabbing a snack or out to lunch the smartphone version is very helpful.

Its great seeing everyone doing so well with this little app. I wonder how many collective pounds we have lost in this thread due to myfitnesspal?

Now that I have lost the weight I am finding the new numbers frustrating. I am allowed less calories and I dont burn as many when doing cardio. Maybe that is why they say the last few lbs are the hardest?

I had a bad weekend but I will make it up during the week. I am looking forward to maintenance calories.
You got it. Depending on your goals as a general rule when going from bad shape to good shape if you exercise and eat well you'll get there. If you want to go from good to great shape that's a lot more difficult. For 99% of the population the diet has to be near-perfect. Going beyond just calorie counting, but going to specific types of foods, ones that help promote burning more calories keeping your metabolic rate high. Some are able to do it with just increased exercise - quantity or intensity, but as we all get older it's more challenging. In my single days I was lifting 6x per week, playing rec sports 3-4x per week, and running on the non rec days and even some of the rec days - always taking one day (usually Friday) off. I ate more because due to the increased exercise I needed to and was in the best shape of my life. 6'1 185 under 10% body fat - think I peaked at 8. Marriage + children + added a side job and I don't have nearly as much time as I used to. Exercise between 4 and 6 times per week but not nearly as much as before. Diet's stayed the same and now I'm around 190-195 and body fat's closer to 15%, last I checked it was 13 but it fluctuates. If I ate perfectly I could maintain at 185, but I won't do that so I'm not expecting to get and stay there.Sorry, I rambled, if the exercise won't change, you still have a few lbs to go, and you've plateuad then you have to eat better calories. Generally speaking, the outer rim of the grocery store, stay out of the aisles and be careful about dairy and salt/fat-heavy meats. Fruit (berries are best), veggies (no corn and potatoes), seafood/fish, turkey, chicken, (homemade) protein shakes, almonds, pistachios, macadmaias, oatmeal, etc. That's your diet.

Ouch I've been eating pretty clean but put Frank's Hot Sauce liberally on a lot of stuff - seems like it is packed with sodium.

Ouch I've been eating pretty clean but put Frank's Hot Sauce liberally on a lot of stuff - seems like it is packed with sodium.
I have come to the following conclusions1) if I use the app, calories and fat are fairly easy control2) unless I turn into a full blown vegan, there is no way I am ever going to get control of carbs, sodium, or sugarSeeing as I am so close to my goal, which 7 weeks ago looked very difficult, I am fine living with these conclusions. :)

Im always high in sodium too... I think its a big reason why I stall out for weeks at a time even though Im usually below calorie limits. Been trying to watch it but its pretty difficult

I probably have enough data stored up now to see how close the math is to see of what I lost so far is close to what science says I should have lost.........

*Throwing out week 1 as it is likely an anomaly because of water weight

*In the 6 other weeks I have lost 14.5 pounds total

*MFP is set to have me lose 1 pound a week or 6 pounds total in the 6 weeks

*In those 6 weeks I have been a total of 33,897 under in net calories from the MFP goal

*You need to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound

* 33897/3500 = 9.68

* MFP of 6 + 9.68 of extra cal burned = 15.68 pounds

That is very close to what I actually lost (14.5 pounds)!

This exercise also tells me that choosing the slightly active lifestyle was failry correct for me in MFP.

In thinking about why my numbers above have been relatively accurate while others have seen less accuracy, I can come up with the following thoughts

a) A 6 week sample is too small to make any real conclusions on.

b) 99.5% of every food that I eat I cook, so I know the exact measurements and ingredients which makes my calories count very accurate

c) I have learned which exercises to trust and which not to trust in terms of what MFP says for calorie burn. For my body specifically, I think it is very accurate for running and walking, but extraordinarily out of whack for stationary biking. I adjust accordingly.

I probably have enough data stored up now to see how close the math is to see of what I lost so far is close to what science says I should have lost.........

*In those 6 weeks I have been a total of 33,897 under in net calories from the MFP goal

* 33897/3500 = 9.68

This exercise also tells me that choosing the slightly active lifestyle was failry correct for me in MFP.
I am not questioning your results, but 34,000 calories under MFP's plan over 6 weeks comes out to about 800 calories under planeach day. What was MFP's target calorie count for you each day? Just curious.

Also, having dieted before, you have to be careful about eating too little because the body can go into survival mode and slow your metabolism down. Thus you burn off calories slower.

Congrats on the weight loss.

In thinking about why my numbers above have been relatively accurate while others have seen less accuracy, I can come up with the following thoughts

a) A 6 week sample is too small to make any real conclusions on.

b) 99.5% of every food that I eat I cook, so I know the exact measurements and ingredients which makes my calories count very accurate

c) I have learned which exercises to trust and which not to trust in terms of what MFP says for calorie burn. For my body specifically, I think it is very accurate for running and walking, but extraordinarily out of whack for stationary biking. I adjust accordingly.
I can definitely attest to the stationary bike calories being high... as a general rule I would say if you are using a machine that gives you calories, use that instead of MFP's calculations.

* 33897/3500 = 9.68

I am not questioning your results, but 34,000 calories under MFP's plan over 6 weeks comes out to about 800 calories under planeach day. What was MFP's target calorie count for you each day? Just curious.
MFP's net calorie goal was 1540 for most of the 6 weeks (it lowered to 1500 in the last week). Remember though that this is net calories, which factors in exercise.

Roughly I have been eating around 1200 calories per day over the 6 week period in question. I have also been exercising a lot every day.

Any time I drop even a hair below eating 1200 calories per day, MFP screams at me about the starvation mode so I understand what you are saying about eating too few calories.

You got it. Depending on your goals as a general rule when going from bad shape to good shape if you exercise and eat well you'll get there. If you want to go from good to great shape that's a lot more difficult. For 99% of the population the diet has to be near-perfect. Going beyond just calorie counting, but going to specific types of foods, ones that help promote burning more calories keeping your metabolic rate high. Some are able to do it with just increased exercise - quantity or intensity, but as we all get older it's more challenging. In my single days I was lifting 6x per week, playing rec sports 3-4x per week, and running on the non rec days and even some of the rec days - always taking one day (usually Friday) off. I ate more because due to the increased exercise I needed to and was in the best shape of my life. 6'1 185 under 10% body fat - think I peaked at 8. Marriage + children + added a side job and I don't have nearly as much time as I used to. Exercise between 4 and 6 times per week but not nearly as much as before. Diet's stayed the same and now I'm around 190-195 and body fat's closer to 15%, last I checked it was 13 but it fluctuates. If I ate perfectly I could maintain at 185, but I won't do that so I'm not expecting to get and stay there.Sorry, I rambled, if the exercise won't change, you still have a few lbs to go, and you've plateuad then you have to eat better calories. Generally speaking, the outer rim of the grocery store, stay out of the aisles and be careful about dairy and salt/fat-heavy meats. Fruit (berries are best), veggies (no corn and potatoes), seafood/fish, turkey, chicken, (homemade) protein shakes, almonds, pistachios, macadmaias, oatmeal, etc. That's your diet.
:thumbup: I would say I am 80% there. My demon is alcohol.

Does anyone know how to transfer a recipe from one account to another? I want to send the 30 or so recipes I entered to my wife's account.

You got it. Depending on your goals as a general rule when going from bad shape to good shape if you exercise and eat well you'll get there. If you want to go from good to great shape that's a lot more difficult. For 99% of the population the diet has to be near-perfect. Going beyond just calorie counting, but going to specific types of foods, ones that help promote burning more calories keeping your metabolic rate high. Some are able to do it with just increased exercise - quantity or intensity, but as we all get older it's more challenging. In my single days I was lifting 6x per week, playing rec sports 3-4x per week, and running on the non rec days and even some of the rec days - always taking one day (usually Friday) off. I ate more because due to the increased exercise I needed to and was in the best shape of my life. 6'1 185 under 10% body fat - think I peaked at 8. Marriage + children + added a side job and I don't have nearly as much time as I used to. Exercise between 4 and 6 times per week but not nearly as much as before. Diet's stayed the same and now I'm around 190-195 and body fat's closer to 15%, last I checked it was 13 but it fluctuates. If I ate perfectly I could maintain at 185, but I won't do that so I'm not expecting to get and stay there.

Sorry, I rambled, if the exercise won't change, you still have a few lbs to go, and you've plateuad then you have to eat better calories. Generally speaking, the outer rim of the grocery store, stay out of the aisles and be careful about dairy and salt/fat-heavy meats. Fruit (berries are best), veggies (no corn and potatoes), seafood/fish, turkey, chicken, (homemade) protein shakes, almonds, pistachios, macadmaias, oatmeal, etc. That's your diet.
:thumbup: I would say I am 80% there. My demon is alcohol.
For some reason I can cut out beer 100% and have no problems, but Pepsi is the tough one for me. For now Ive just been working in one can to my calories but I know at some point I will need to cut it out mostly.

Does anyone know how to transfer a recipe from one account to another? I want to send the 30 or so recipes I entered to my wife's account.
Transfer, no. BUT, if you name your recipe, can't you add it to the MFP database and she can select it? I was going to do that for me wife the over the weekend but she told me not to worry about it (thus, I am not sure if it really works). I see enough custom recipes come up that I assume that is the easiest way. Plus, you will get the benefit of sharing them with the community (trade mark them though ;) )

Transfer, no. BUT, if you name your recipe, can't you add it to the MFP database and she can select it? I was going to do that for me wife the over the weekend but she told me not to worry about it (thus, I am not sure if it really works). I see enough custom recipes come up that I assume that is the easiest way. Plus, you will get the benefit of sharing them with the community (trade mark them though ;) )
I will look into this. Thanks!

I will look into this. Thanks!
If it works, will you post how it does so I can be lazy and not look it up? Thanks!!!! We may need a "FBG Recipe Book" on the app.

Users who are viewing this thread