What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Morning Jacket (1 Viewer)

Jim James sang St James Infimary with Preservation Hall on the closeout set at Jazzfest on Sunday - of the two weeks of performances I saw at Jazzfest - this one may have been the best.

I'm hoping they add a video of it to the others here - Jazzfest Videos
I've heard hundreds of performances of St. James Infirmary (you have little choice if you live in New Orleans), and James' version with the PHJB was one of the 2 or 3 best I've ever listened to. Also cool was the PHJB playing its own up-tempo version of the song immediately after.
Clint Maedgen from New Orleans Bingo Show is stepping it up in the NO performing hierarchy - I love his sound and style and he adds a great flavor to PHJB. I hope he can get some national recognition closer to the mainstream - he deserves it.

Jim James sang St James Infimary with Preservation Hall on the closeout set at Jazzfest on Sunday - of the two weeks of performances I saw at Jazzfest - this one may have been the best.

I'm hoping they add a video of it to the others here - Jazzfest Videos
I've heard hundreds of performances of St. James Infirmary (you have little choice if you live in New Orleans), and James' version with the PHJB was one of the 2 or 3 best I've ever listened to. Also cool was the PHJB playing its own up-tempo version of the song immediately after.
Clint Maedgen from New Orleans Bingo Show is stepping it up in the NO performing hierarchy - I love his sound and style and he adds a great flavor to PHJB. I hope he can get some national recognition closer to the mainstream - he deserves it.
I agree. Clint Maedgen is the BOMB. Great singer and performer who can play any instrument from an electric guitar to a theramin to a coke bottle to pots and pans. He deserves to be a huge star.

'Tiger Fan said:
seeing them for the first time on saturday :headbang:
:popcorn:
Solid show. Admittedly, I'm not really familiar with their whole catalog...but they're great musicians and I had a good time. Would definitely see again.
Good to hear! Pretty standard sets for festivals it seems. If you've listened to Okonokos and Circuital then you've heard every song they played at JF. Can't wait for Columbus myself.

From MMJ's Facebook page:

FACT: All MMJ announcements come from our headquarters based on the East Coast.FACT: The West Coast is three hours behind the East Coast.FACT: Those on the West Coast might want to think about waking up early on Monday morning...

From MMJ's Facebook page:

FACT: All MMJ announcements come from our headquarters based on the East Coast.FACT: The West Coast is three hours behind the East Coast.FACT: Those on the West Coast might want to think about waking up early on Monday morning...
Thx for the heads up TU. :thumbup:
My Morning Jacket West Coast Tour Dates09/07: Seattle, WA @ Marymoor#09/08: Portland, OR @ Edgefield#09/09: Boise, ID @ Idaho Botanical Garden#09/11: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern<09/12: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern>09/13: Los Angeles, CA @ The Wiltern#09/15: Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre## = with Shabazz Palaces> = with Iron and Wine< = with TBD

'Disco Stu said:
09/09: Boise, ID @ Idaho Botanical Garden#
My Dad lives out in Montana, I think Boise is like 4 hours or so from him. I doubt I can swing a visit during early September out there, but that sounds like an awesome, unique show/venue to hit up that MMJ or any band even near their caliber/popularity would hit more than every 5 years or so, if that. Hopefully they pull out some oldies.

This band is right in my wheelhouse but has eluded me up to this point...purely due to a lack of effort on my part. They are playing three shows in LA 9/11-13 and I think it would be worth my while to check them out. The tickets go on sale this Friday but I am a little pinched for cash. Would you guys expect them to sell out right away? Should I save my lunch money and bite the bullet or can I wait for another paycheck or two? They are playing at the Wiltern which holds about 2000.Having moved here from Albuquerque I am still overwhelmed by all the live music available here...it is keeping me poor but it is so worth it.
I'd be shocked if they don't sell out the Wiltern in less than 30 mins.

This band is right in my wheelhouse but has eluded me up to this point...purely due to a lack of effort on my part. They are playing three shows in LA 9/11-13 and I think it would be worth my while to check them out. The tickets go on sale this Friday but I am a little pinched for cash. Would you guys expect them to sell out right away? Should I save my lunch money and bite the bullet or can I wait for another paycheck or two? They are playing at the Wiltern which holds about 2000.Having moved here from Albuquerque I am still overwhelmed by all the live music available here...it is keeping me poor but it is so worth it.
I'd be shocked if they don't sell out the Wiltern in less than 30 mins.
That's what Id say too. I dont think theyre quite as popular out west, but they also dont play near as many shows out there either so the demand should be greater. Im surprised theyre playing that small of a venue, although the 3 night run might make at least 1 show not sell out as fast, plus all of the shows are during the middle of the week. Id expect the 9/12 show to sellout first because Iron and Wine is opening. Id probably want to go to the 9/11 show personally because there isnt an opener that night. Worst case scenario if they do sell all 3 out fast, theres always the Greek Theater show the next night, which is a lot bigger venue I think.

i may slide up to LA for one of the Wiltern shows. Weeknight shows 2 hrs from home are tough but I've seen Panic at the Wiltern from the floor and it is insane.

Monster setlist the other night in the Netheregions, 6 big time bustouts at least...They have thread on their forum for opener requests for each show as well, interesting

6/19 Tivoli - Utrecht, The Netherlands

INTO THE WOODS

WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN

LOWDOWN

THE WAY THAT HE SINGS

COBRA

FIRST LIGHT

MAHGEETAH

SLOW SLOW TUNE

OUTTA MY SYSTEM

WHERE TO BEGIN

HEARTBREAKIN MAN

WORDLESS CHORUS

GIDEON

I THINK I'M GOING TO HELL

TOUCH ME I'M GOIN TO SCREAM PT.2

I'M AMAZED

SMOKIN FROM SHOOTIN

-----

VICTORY DANCE

THE DAY IS COMING

O IS THE ONE THAT IS REAL

DONDANTE

CIRCUITAL

I saw them last night in SLC for their Red Rocks warm up show. I just posted this review somewhere else:

Great show. Setlist:

Evil Urges

Off The Record

Circuital

The Way That He Sings

Outta My System

First Light

Lay Low

Holdin On To Black Metal

Phone Went West

Golden

Evelyn Is Not Real

I'm Amazed

War Begun

Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt. 2

Mahgeetah

Run Thru

Gideon

Encore:

Victory Dance

Wordless Chorus

One Big Holiday

I think I've seen MMJ live more than any other band. Admittedly, I do not particularly love their last 2 albums but they can still bring it live. This wasn't my favorite show from them but given my luke warm feelings toward many of the new songs, this one was pretty damn good. They played a couple of my favorite of their older songs that I haven't heard live very often (Phone Went West, War Begun) and as is often the case, the newer songs are always better in person.

They have definitely gone (relatively) big time with their stage show, on-stage persona, etc. I still much prefer the earlier shows, both setlists and stage show (get off my lawn) but this was surprisingly good---much better than the last 2 or 3 times I've seen them.

Thanks for the link to tonight's show.

I saw where they were showing the Saturday Red Rock Show on AXS tv - the former HDnet - I guess check your local listings - supposed to start at 9:30 Denver time

Based upon my general preferences, I think I should like MMJ but I haven't gotten it so far. Can someone recommend a 10 song or so playlist.

Based upon my general preferences, I think I should like MMJ but I haven't gotten it so far. Can someone recommend a 10 song or so playlist.
whats your general preferences??
LuceroRefreshmentsRoger Clyne & The PeacemakersDrive By TruckersThe Hold Steadyetc. etc. etc.
without recommending the obviouus like One Big Holiday, Golden, Off The Record, Id go with...DancefloorsJust Because I DoSteam EngineLay LowLowdownHonest ManMasterplanSmokin From ShootingEasy Morning RebelStrangulation

I saw where they were showing the Saturday Red Rock Show on AXS tv - the former HDnet - I guess check your local listings - supposed to start at 9:30 Denver time
Cant wait :banned:Its channel 306 on DirecTV. Last nights show was phenomenal albeit a little more mellow than usual. I expect tonight to rock more and have less pre-ISM songs.

Cant wait :banned:Its channel 306 on DirecTV. Last nights show was phenomenal albeit a little more mellow than usual. I expect tonight to rock more and have less pre-ISM songs.
Thanks for the heads up. This is great. :banned:
And the more ISM and earlier songs the better IMO.

Almost went to this show tonight - but I saw them at Jazzfest - and I'm going Sunday and Monday to see Crazy Horse - the most I've ever done up there was 5 nights straight (3 dead shows) and I was a mess after that. This is a great show from TV - only thing it doesn't do justice to is the sound. When people get quiet and the band hits that pocket - it sounds so freaking fantastic.

'The Dreaded Marco said:
'Kenny Powers said:
Thanks for the heads up. This is great. :banned:
I would have missed it if I didn't see his post a hour before it started. :thumbup:

Anyone want to see them in Brooklyn on 8/19?

I've got 2 extra GA tickets (note: it isn't sold out so I'd probably dump these for under face at this point).

Last night was just amazing in Columbus. This was my first live MMJ show, so I tried to not get too locked into what I wanted to hear like I do with my other favorite bands. But, once we saw NO Dondante the night before, we figured that was a lock. I've been cranking The Bear lately too (and Bermuda Highway), so they were on my newly created short list. All ended up being strikeouts in the end unfortunately.

With the show winding down, although spectacular, they still had not played my other hopefulls...Touch Me pt.2, Steam Engine, and Wordless Chorus. That is, until they completely dominated the encore(s).

Hopefully - Wonderful - Victory Dance - Wordless Chorus - Touch Me Pt.1 - O is the One That is Real - Touch Me Pt.2 --- Steam Engine

Just ####### sick. One of my buds I was with said I got a ridiculous first show...I have to say he's onto something. Jim playing Hopefully made up for not hearing Bermuda. Wonderful is just wonderful. Victory Dance got everyone blasting away again...and then just pure bliss the rest of the way out. My tweet for the opener was Touch Me pt.1 and then for them to close the 1st set with Touch Me pt.2, but this was much better with "O" sandwiched in the middle...and then closing with a breathtaking version of Steam Engine. Also, got what is now my personal favorite concert pic ever of Jim during Pt.1.

Now I want more.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at the NYE show in Boston last night. My 5th time seeing the, but this was perhaps the best. Interestingly, they played 7 covers including Hungry Heart by the Boss and Rock the Casbah. Very cool indeed.

I was at the NYE show in Boston last night. My 5th time seeing the, but this was perhaps the best. Interestingly, they played 7 covers including Hungry Heart by the Boss and Rock the Casbah. Very cool indeed.
Yeah, theyve said for awhile that they typically only play covers for festival and holiday shows. 7 is still a lot though, Im pretty sure that Midnight Hour, Never Can Tell, and Hungry Heart were all first time covers. Just caught all of them on youtube, pretty good and a lot of fun!!!Their 3 night run in Port Chester looks nasty. On paper, I think Night 1 is my favorite. Might have to download/acquire all those shows...Octoplasm?! #######g unreal!!!

Was there last night also...fantastic.

I bought 8 tickets a while back, booked a limo and told with wife and three other couples who didn't know MMJ from a hole in the wall they had no choice in the matter - this is what we're doing NYE. A little late to the party but they're all on board now. :drive:

Was there last night also...fantastic.

I bought 8 tickets a while back, booked a limo and told with wife and three other couples who didn't know MMJ from a hole in the wall they had no choice in the matter - this is what we're doing NYE. A little late to the party but they're all on board now. :drive:
Awesome man!! :thumbup:

Was there last night also...fantastic. I bought 8 tickets a while back, booked a limo and told with wife and three other couples who didn't know MMJ from a hole in the wall they had no choice in the matter - this is what we're doing NYE. A little late to the party but they're all on board now. :drive:
:goodposting:

Funny thing about MMJ is that album wise theyve gone downhill for almost 5 years now, but especially in the past year, their live shows have become increasingly better.

Funny thing about MMJ is that album wise theyve gone downhill for almost 5 years now, but especially in the past year, their live shows have become increasingly better.
I agree that their past 2 albums have not been as good but I think their live shows have suffered as well. Some of the shows after It Still Moves and Z are amongst the best concerts I've ever seen. The last few times I've seen them (since Evil Urges) the shows have paled in comparison due to the material they have to play in support of the new albums. Still love their shows and will continue to go whenever I can.

I agree that their past 2 albums have not been as good but I think their live shows have suffered as well. Some of the shows after It Still Moves and Z are amongst the best concerts I've ever seen. The last few times I've seen them (since Evil Urges) the shows have paled in comparison due to the material they have to play in support of the new albums. Still love their shows and will continue to go whenever I can.
I never saw them until the Evil Urges tour, my first show was actually Iowa City when Jim fell off stage and they only played like 5-6 songs. I see what youre saying because ISM and AD are certainly my favorite albums and they played more of those songs live back then, but I think theyve grown as a live band a lot since then.And the couple shows Ive seen besides the album run in NYC 2010 before this year, Id agree with you, but this year with the "Spontaneous Curation" thing theyve really mixed it up with their setlists. I havent followed any fall sets, but the summer tour sets and the Port Chester run were all great.

I liked Evil Urges when it came out, but I liked it a whole lot more when I saw them during the Evil Urges tour. The same thing is happening with Circuital. They seem to do that a lot for me.

Was there last night also...fantastic. I bought 8 tickets a while back, booked a limo and told with wife and three other couples who didn't know MMJ from a hole in the wall they had no choice in the matter - this is what we're doing NYE. A little late to the party but they're all on board now. :drive:
Last night was a great show to take people and introduce them to MMJ. They didn't go very deep in the catalog and kept it going with a party like atmosphere all night, not just a concert. I took my wife, sister and he friend who aren't big MMJ fans, but they loved it.

I live less than a mile away from Agganis, am a huge fan... We had a wedding this past weekend (got back Sun nite), was wife's first time away from the new baby...just couldn't swing it. Glad to hear it was good.

Sweetness:

TOUR DATES2/18: Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s SOLD OUT2/19: Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg SOLD OUT2/20: New York, NY @ McKittrick Hotel SOLD OUTJUST ANNOUNCED4/17: Louisville, KY @ Brown Theatre4/19: Milwaukee, WI @ The Pabst Theater4/20: Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre4/21: Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue4/23: Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall4/24: Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre4/26: Boston, MA @ Royale4/27: Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer4/29: New York, NY @ Webster Hall4/30: Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club5/2: Nashville, TN @ Cannery Ballroom5/3: Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel5/6: Austin, TX @ Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheatre5/7: Dallas, TX @ House of Blues5/9: Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre5/11: Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre5/12: San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore5/14: Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom5/15: Seattle, WA @ Neptune
EDIT: THIS IS YIM ONLY

Sweetness:

TOUR DATES2/18: Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s SOLD OUT2/19: Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg SOLD OUT2/20: New York, NY @ McKittrick Hotel SOLD OUTJUST ANNOUNCED4/17: Louisville, KY @ Brown Theatre4/19: Milwaukee, WI @ The Pabst Theater4/20: Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre4/21: Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue4/23: Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall4/24: Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre4/26: Boston, MA @ Royale4/27: Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer4/29: New York, NY @ Webster Hall4/30: Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club5/2: Nashville, TN @ Cannery Ballroom5/3: Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel5/6: Austin, TX @ Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheatre5/7: Dallas, TX @ House of Blues5/9: Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre5/11: Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre5/12: San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore5/14: Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom5/15: Seattle, WA @ Neptune
Jesus the Orange Peel in Asheville gets every hot band it seems.

Sweetness:

Jesus the Orange Peel in Asheville gets every hot band it seems.
I edited my post...it's just Jim James...but still...

Im fairly disappointed with Jim James solo album. Im sure hell play a few MMJ songs at the shows (likely the solo acoustic ones), but I wont go out of my way to see his live showETA: I also think its absurd they announced a couple shows here, then a couple shows there, then the rest of the tour. Sort of baiting fans. Total money grab.

Sweetness:

TOUR DATES

2/18: Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s SOLD OUT

2/19: Brooklyn, NY @ Music Hall of Williamsburg SOLD OUT

2/20: New York, NY @ McKittrick Hotel SOLD OUT

JUST ANNOUNCED

4/17: Louisville, KY @ Brown Theatre

4/19: Milwaukee, WI @ The Pabst Theater

4/20: Chicago, IL @ Vic Theatre

4/21: Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue

4/23: Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall

4/24: Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre

4/26: Boston, MA @ Royale

4/27: Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer

4/29: New York, NY @ Webster Hall

4/30: Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club

5/2: Nashville, TN @ Cannery Ballroom

5/3: Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel

5/6: Austin, TX @ Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheatre

5/7: Dallas, TX @ House of Blues

5/9: Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre

5/11: Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre

5/12: San Francisco, CA @ The Fillmore

5/14: Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom

5/15: Seattle, WA @ Neptune
EDIT: THIS IS YIM ONLY
:banned:

A lot of people Ive talked to who werent feeling his new solo album and then saw him perform it live have changed there tune about it. Im still not really digging most of it, but I have a feeling his shows will be/are good. His performance on Fallon a couple weeks ago was pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread