What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets disaster (1 Viewer)

They know Sanchez is bad. What do they risk by letting Tebow start in week 17? A better draft pick? Another loss in a bad season? Or...a win they don't need for a variety of reasons?
We're just not going to agree on this one. The Jets are starting the QB they think gives them the best chance to win. Most NFL teams do this, even when the player they start sucks. Why would the Jets start Tebow if they think Sanchez gives them a better chance to win, sucky as Sanchez is? They should give up on a game just because Tebow "deserves" to start? There really needs to be a TFL where things work like that -- where players play because they deserve to play for non--football reasons.

They know Sanchez is bad. What do they risk by letting Tebow start in week 17? A better draft pick? Another loss in a bad season? Or...a win they don't need for a variety of reasons?
We're just not going to agree on this one. The Jets are starting the QB they think gives them the best chance to win. Most NFL teams do this, even when the player they start sucks. Why would the Jets start Tebow if they think Sanchez gives them a better chance to win, sucky as Sanchez is? They should give up on a game just because Tebow "deserves" to start? There really needs to be a TFL where things work like that -- where players play because they deserve to play for non--football reasons.
How does Sanchez deserve to play? Only reason he's playing is because he'll be around next year and since they've coddled him thus far why stop now.. not to mention giving him a contract he didnt deserve because they hurt his feelings talking to Manning.Is Tebow the answer? Nope.. but dont tell me that Sanchez gives them a better chance to win or deserves to play at this point. Its not about winning and if you really think that you're clueless

And again, not sure why McElroy wasn't the backup if he was better. You can't say Wildcat, because he was pretty effective. So was it punt protection? That's why you have an inferior QB as your backup? Does that really make sense to you?
What are you talking about? McElroy never ran the wildcat.

And again, not sure why McElroy wasn't the backup if he was better. You can't say Wildcat, because he was pretty effective. So was it punt protection? That's why you have an inferior QB as your backup? Does that really make sense to you?
What are you talking about? McElroy never ran the wildcat.
Sorry about that. I thought I heard they let him play it last week and he did pretty well. Must have heard wrong.

At the risk of using the Raiders as an example, they're throwing Pryor in there when it's doubtful the team thinks he gives them the best chance to win. They want to see what they have in the guy. And I'd use the Cardinals as an example, but I don't understand anything they did at QB this season.In any case, I don't find it likely that the Jets went into this week thinking their best chance to win was...McElroy, then Sanchez then Tebow. They wanted to see what they had in McElroy (they're keeping him) so they wanted him to be the guy to play out the season. But he got hurt. At this point in a disastrous season, who do you think makes the most sense to start: The guy who led your team to this disaster, or the free agent you brought in this season with much fanfare but didn't start a single game for you? If you think it doesn't make sense to at least see if the guy you hired to play QB can play QB, then you might be one of the dwindling few who is giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's clear to me that if Tebow wins, it's bad for the team on many levels. And the thing about Tebow is...as badly as he plays at times, his team seems to have a decent chance of winning.

The Jets were already a team on the decline, they peaked 2 years ago and Sanchez reaped those rewards as a young Qb. The defense isn't quite as good, the Wrs aren't as good, and the running game isn't as good as it was and now Sanchez who really hasn't progressed too much is taking much of the blame and the rest goes to Tebow who doesn't even play. When things go wrong, people finger point and in NY, that's magnified tenfold.

At this point, I'd get rid of Tebow, even though this move doesn't really address why the Jets are bad. The Jets need some skilled players at Wr and something dangerous out of the backfield at Rb. As far as QB, I'd look to see if there are any veteran Qbs to sign and have an open Qb competition next year during camp.

Legit sources - Confirme that Sparano is going

Woody pissed about leaks - could be straw that breaks his back....can't have 2 former GMs reassigned in the organization - needs to be full housecleaning and let the new GM decide...unless you can get Cowher or Gruden type of coach....Jets have no had an actual established HC since Parcells. I would even settle for Andy Reid. If its Rex vs another flavor of the month coordinator I hold my nose and say rex stays.

Also who doeesnt think Sanchez lights up the Bills today and we have to watch rex's presser throwing praises about his comeback and how its a great springboard for next year....I'm getting sick just thinking about it!

Legit sources - Confirme that Sparano is goingWoody pissed about leaks - could be straw that breaks his back....can't have 2 former GMs reassigned in the organization - needs to be full housecleaning and let the new GM decide...unless you can get Cowher or Gruden type of coach....Jets have no had an actual established HC since Parcells. I would even settle for Andy Reid. If its Rex vs another flavor of the month coordinator I hold my nose and say rex stays. Also who doeesnt think Sanchez lights up the Bills today and we have to watch rex's presser throwing praises about his comeback and how its a great springboard for next year....I'm getting sick just thinking about it!
You should be pleased.

'Maurile Tremblay said:
'fatness said:
The Jets are starting the QB they think gives them the best chance to win throw a pick six.
;)
I spent a year watching my favorite team play John Beck and Rex Grossman so I'm familiar with situations like this. :) It's like picking out the smallest chunk from a clogged toilet.

LOL at the video of Tony Sparano running away from the press some 10 minutes after the game ended.
Ugh, I hate that I missed that!
SNY showed it. He had to go through the press conference room to exit the building. He was chewing gum while walking briskly. Behind him were 6 or 7 media members trying to catch up to him.
He is a load, these beat reporters must be total slobs

Sparano and Tanny reportedly out. No surprise. They should sue Tannenbaum for the 13 million they owe Sanchez next year

The Jets were already a team on the decline, they peaked 2 years ago and Sanchez reaped those rewards as a young Qb. The defense isn't quite as good, the Wrs aren't as good, and the running game isn't as good as it was and now Sanchez who really hasn't progressed too much is taking much of the blame and the rest goes to Tebow who doesn't even play. When things go wrong, people finger point and in NY, that's tenfold.
:goodposting:

The Jets were already a team on the decline, they peaked 2 years ago and Sanchez reaped those rewards as a young Qb. The defense isn't quite as good, the Wrs aren't as good, and the running game isn't as good as it was and now Sanchez who really hasn't progressed too much is taking much of the blame and the rest goes to Tebow who doesn't even play. When things go wrong, people finger point and in NY, that's magnified tenfold.

At this point, I'd get rid of Tebow, even though this move doesn't really address why the Jets are bad. The Jets need some skilled players at Wr and something dangerous out of the backfield at Rb. As far as QB, I'd look to see if there are any veteran Qbs to sign and have an open Qb competition next year during camp.
Tony Romo?

Tannenbaum fired.

Ryan still the head coach. I would like the new GM to be able to make the decision on Ryan but maybe the new GM will be a puppet

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannenbaum fired. Ryan still the head coach. I would like the new GM to be able to make the decision on Ryan but maybe the new GM will be a puppet
Not firing Ryan is merely delaying the inevitable, and dooming the Jets to another lackluster year.

Tannenbaum fired. Ryan still the head coach. I would like the new GM to be able to make the decision on Ryan but maybe the new GM will be a puppet
Not firing Ryan is merely delaying the inevitable, and dooming the Jets to another lackluster year.
Assuming you're correct (and I'm not sure I agree with you) the team is probably doomed to a lackluster year anyway. At BEST, their QB next year is going to be a journeyman type like Matt Moore. The team will also be learning an entirely new offensive system and is saddled with the contracts of Holmes and Sanchez (which will hurt the talent level on the entire team due to lack of available $$). Also, at this point, there doesn't appear to be a double digit sack guy on the roster (although my guess is either Coples or Wilkerson inches up to around 8 next year) The team is almost certain to be mediocre at best next year, but I don't think it will be due to Rex. This roster needs at least 2 years of churn to be a contender again. It really seems like someposters (most of which aren't even Jet fans) have major personal problems with Rex Ryan. As a Jet fan, I don't like how much he talks and where the team has gone under him the past 2 years. But certain posters (there are probably 4 or 5 that I can think of off the top of my head) seriously act like Rex did something to them personally. There are absolutely guys in the league that I don't particularly like for various reasons, but it seems like Rex has pissed in a lot of people's cheerios :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you're correct (and I'm not sure I agree with you) the team is probably doomed to a lackluster year anyway. At BEST, their QB next year is going to be a journeyman type like Matt Moore. The team will also be learning an entirely new offensive system and is saddled with the contracts of Holmes and Sanchez (which will hurt the talent level on the entire team due to lack of available $$). Also, at this point, there doesn't appear to be a double digit sack guy on the roster (although my guess is either Coples or Wilkerson inches up to around 8 next year) The team is almost certain to be mediocre at best next year, but I don't think it will be due to Rex. This roster needs at least 2 years of churn to be a contender again. It really seems like certain posters (most of which aren't even Jet fans) have major personal problems with Rex Ryan. As a Jet fan, I don't like how much he talks and where the team has gone under him the past 2 years. But certain posters (there are probably 4 or 5 that I can think of off the top of my head) seriously act like Rex did something to them personally. There are certain guys in the league that I don't particularly like for various reasons, but it seems like Rex has pissed in a lot of people's cheerios :shrug:
Agreed. It's good that the new GM won't be beholden to Rex and let Rex essentially dictate the draft strategy or waste picks on guys he "likes." Unless a good QB falls out of the sky, the Jets won't be very good next year, but I think keeping Rex for another season was the right move. The defense will be solid to good, and his players do play hard for him. I'm hopeful the Jets can get one of Texas A&M's offensive tackles. I also like Mingo from LSU, but I doubt the Jets go D in the 1st round for four straight years, although they STILL need a pass rusher.

Ughh...the Jets kept Rex Ryan? What a tremendously stupid move. Ryan is one of the reasons the team is so terrible. I feel for you Jets fans.

Also, keeping a lame duck Rex around (again, assuming he's the total problem, which I don't agree with) basically gives the new GM a 100% free pass year 1. If the team doesn't show progress next year, you can scapegoat Rex and move on with a clean slate in 2014.

Now, if keeping Rex around hinders the GM search for some reason, I have ZERO problem dumping him. This team's problems start in the draft room and getting a proven talent evaluator who knows what he's doing is priority # 1.

Per Rich Cimini, these are the preliminary GM candidates....

Jerry Angelo, former Bears GM -- A well-respected football man who built the Bears' 2006 Super Bowl team. He went 87-73 during an 11-year run as the Bears' GM. Spent last season out of football, looking to get back in.

David Caldwell, Falcons, director of player personnel -- A Bill Polian protege who spent a decade as a Colts scout. Has been linked to several potential openings. Has spent only one season in current role, working with highly regarded GM Thomas Dimitroff.

Joey Clinkscales, Raiders, director of player personnel -- Knows the ins and outs of the Jets' organization, having served as vice president of college scouting from 2008 to 2012. Prior to that, he was a longtime scout for the Jets.

Scott Cohen, Jets, assistant GM -- The top in-house candidate. Has worked closely with Tannenbaum since 2008, mostly scouting in pro personnel. Previously, worked for the Eagles.

Eric DeCosta, Ravens, assistant GM -- Has been linked to several GM openings in recent years, but signed a lucrative deal last January to remain with Ravens. Seen as Ozzie Newsome's heir apparent. Has a background with Ryan.

John Dorsey, Packers, director of football operations -- Has spent most of his career in Green Bay. Worked at the side of Ron Wolf, one of the best GMs in history. Worked his way up from a college scout.

Brian Gaine, Dolphins, assistant GM -- Considered a rising star in league circles. A native New Yorker, a former practice-squad TE for the Jets and a former Jets scout. Learned the business from Bill Parcells. Strong scouting background. Knows the AFC East.

Tom Gamble, 49ers, director of player personnel -- Has been linked to potential openings in Jacksonville and Cleveland. Served as Jets defensive assistant in 1995-96. Also spent time under Polian with the Colts. Solid resume.

George Kokinis, Ravens, personnel assistant -- Familiar with Ryan from their days in Baltimore together. Has spent most of career with the Ravens, but served as the Browns' GM in 2009 before losing a power struggle to then-coach Eric Mangini.

Bill Polian, former Colts GM -- One of the most accomplished personnel men in history, having built Super Bowl teams in Buffalo and Indianapolis. Now works as an ESPN analyst. The question is, at age 70, does he want back in?

Anyone with significant experience within the Jets organization shouldn't be considered. Out of this list, I think I like Decosta and Dorsey the best. Gamble and Caldwell wouldn't be bad either.

Polian or Angelo wouldn't be a disaster, but I'd prefer someone a little younger. Clinksales and Cohen shouldn't be even considered.

Assuming you're correct (and I'm not sure I agree with you) the team is probably doomed to a lackluster year anyway. At BEST, their QB next year is going to be a journeyman type like Matt Moore. The team will also be learning an entirely new offensive system and is saddled with the contracts of Holmes and Sanchez (which will hurt the talent level on the entire team due to lack of available $$). Also, at this point, there doesn't appear to be a double digit sack guy on the roster (although my guess is either Coples or Wilkerson inches up to around 8 next year) The team is almost certain to be mediocre at best next year, but I don't think it will be due to Rex. This roster needs at least 2 years of churn to be a contender again. It really seems like someposters (most of which aren't even Jet fans) have major personal problems with Rex Ryan. As a Jet fan, I don't like how much he talks and where the team has gone under him the past 2 years. But certain posters (there are probably 4 or 5 that I can think of off the top of my head) seriously act like Rex did something to them personally. There are absolutely guys in the league that I don't particularly like for various reasons, but it seems like Rex has pissed in a lot of people's cheerios :shrug:
Basically, I just don't like his footwork... ;)

they can't get rid of Rex for the same reason they can't get rid of Sanchez. firing Tanny doesn't invalidate their contracts. Woody Johnson is not a lottery winner he's not gonna burn 6 mil on Rex and 8.25 Mil on Sanchez just so these two can sit on a couch (or in rex's case, get another HC job instantly). Rex actually does a great job with the defense, the problem is that he's not the head coach of the defense. He's the head coach of the team.

good list - I honestly don't know the names very well - but I agree that any candidate should have zero connection to the stain of the Jets....I also want someone from a winning organization that is not a retread.

Based on what is below I like DeCosta, Gamble and Caldwell. Any chance they land one of those guys?

As for Rex - I liked Rex a lot - thought he was great after the Mangini experiment. However like Sanchez he has taken a big step back the last 2 yrs....he needs to stop being a glorified DC and start running the entire team. Im not sure how that will happen if the Jets land a premiere OC like Turner or Shermer....has that type of co-coaching ever worked...I guess Buddy/Ditka one could argue. Anyway as I stated if they couldnt land a premiere HC then I can live with one moe yr of Rex or bust - no one wants to come into this cap mess anyway - 2014 is another story - will be very attractive. New GM will pevent Rex from selling out to try to win next year and sacrafice big payoff in 2014 so checks and balances is a good idea.

Anyway - at least the "contract genius" is gone and not reassigned. Start fresh but as stated above - no recent direct Jet ties. Please.

At least its over....for now

The Packers have three possible future GMs in their personnel department and Newsome's assistant (DeCosta) are four guys that need to be seriously considered.

Rex Ryan has joined Ray Rhodes as the only two head coaches in league history to do the following with one team

Playoffs in year 1

Playoffs in year 2

Non-winning season with no playoff berth in year 3

Worst record of 4-year stretch with no playoff berth in year 4

Rhodes did not get a 5th year with the Eagles.

I think Ryan is highly culpable for this Jets disaster but he did have help (namely Tannenbaum, Sanchez and Sparano).

Seems like the disaster is continuing IMO thanks to Woody Johnson. Firing your GM and then stating the coach will stay just hamstrings your new GM and probably reduces your candidate list right from the start. Woody may actually be the biggest problem for the NYJ which would be a bigger concern than anything else.

Rex Ryan 9 wins (+2 playoff wins), 11 wins (+2 playoff wins), 8 wins, 6 wins

Mangenius 10 wins, 4 wins, 9 wins

For as much as Mangini gets dumped on, his reign doesn't look that much different from Rex IMO.

-QG

Rex Ryan's first four years vs Kotite's first four years

Regular season wins

Ryan- 9, 11, 8, 6

Kotite- 10, 11, 8, 7

Seems like the disaster is continuing IMO thanks to Woody Johnson. Firing your GM and then stating the coach will stay just hamstrings your new GM and probably reduces your candidate list right from the start. Woody may actually be the biggest problem for the NYJ which would be a bigger concern than anything else.
Very suprised that Ryan survived this debacle.

In Ryan's defense, he had the D playing at a solid level despite the fact that they were on the field quite a bit more than they would have been if they had a competent OC or quarterback; they had neither. Sparano was an awful hire from the get go and between him and the Tebow signing Sanchez' confidence was shot.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY!!!!!

Like I said, THIS is the playoffs fro me - Exciting times.

That said.... ALL I really wanted was a New GM.. After that, all decisions should be made by that GM...

Maybe Rex still gets the boot But, if he doesn't I think that is a positive for the new GM - That person can come here and make changes for 1 year and If/when next year is another down year he can make a change at HC then.....

Again, next year's schedule is Brutal, the Cap is a disaster and they have no QB with holes everywhere..... I fully expect next year to be a down year and if they are smart a year to Eat and Shed Cap woes of Tannenbaum....

If, this were Indy the FULL TANK would be on and we would hope Johnny Football was all that for a top pick in 14'....

Pretty sure Manziel Redshirted and can come out next year...

Oh.. And THIS isn't a disaster to me....

The Disaster is when I'm "Out on a ledge" all by myself and the Moron GM is coming back.....

Once changes are in motion, this isn't a disaster at all - LAST YEAR was the disaster....

Cheers and Happy New Year Jets fans!!!!! Tannenbaum is.... gone!

In Ryan's defense, he had the D playing at a solid level despite the fact that they were on the field quite a bit more than they would have been if they had a competent OC or quarterback; they had neither. Sparano was an awful hire from the get go and between him and the Tebow signing Sanchez' confidence was shot.
They also lost Revis and had a banged up nose tackle for the entire season. (Pouha hurt his back early and never really recovered) Plus, they were saddled with 2 aging, slow LB's making WAAAAY too much money (Scott and Pace's contracts were guaranteed for this year due to re-structuring during the organizations pursuit of Asomougha...Thanks a lot Tannenbaum). Getting Revis back and adding even one respectable pass rushing OLB would do wonders for a defense that was already in the top 10 (despite constantly being in bad spots due to Sanchez and special teams mistakes) Not going to say Rex worked miracles on that side of the ball, but they performed very well given the circumstances.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY!!!!!Like I said, THIS is the playoffs fro me - Exciting times.That said.... ALL I really wanted was a New GM.. After that, all decisions should be made by that GM...Maybe Rex still gets the boot But, if he doesn't I think that is a positive for the new GM - That person can come here and make changes for 1 year and If/when next year is another down year he can make a change at HC then.....Again, next year's schedule is Brutal, the Cap is a disaster and they have no QB with holes everywhere..... I fully expect next year to be a down year and if they are smart a year to Eat and Shed Cap woes of Tannenbaum....If, this were Indy the FULL TANK would be on and we would hope Johnny Football was all that for a top pick in 14'....Pretty sure Manziel Redshirted and can come out next year...
I'd actually rather tank for Clowney. I think he's a once in a generation pass rusher.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY!!!!!Like I said, THIS is the playoffs fro me - Exciting times.That said.... ALL I really wanted was a New GM.. After that, all decisions should be made by that GM...Maybe Rex still gets the boot But, if he doesn't I think that is a positive for the new GM - That person can come here and make changes for 1 year and If/when next year is another down year he can make a change at HC then.....Again, next year's schedule is Brutal, the Cap is a disaster and they have no QB with holes everywhere..... I fully expect next year to be a down year and if they are smart a year to Eat and Shed Cap woes of Tannenbaum....If, this were Indy the FULL TANK would be on and we would hope Johnny Football was all that for a top pick in 14'....Pretty sure Manziel Redshirted and can come out next year...
I'd actually rather tank for Clowney. I think he's a once in a generation pass rusher.
Until you find that Franchise QB you will always be trying to Dilfer yourself to ONE Championship...So sick of it, at this point, forget SB, I'd just like to see a Franchise Top QB in place and enjoy some good offense for a bunch of years!!!

Until you find that Franchise QB you will always be trying to Dilfer yourself to ONE Championship...

So sick of it, at this point, forget SB, I'd just like to see a Franchise Top QB in place and enjoy some good offense for a bunch of years!!!
The problem is that for every Luck and RGIII, there is a JaMarcus Russell and a Matt Leinart. So you either hit the jackpot or you bankrupt your team. I don't like that method, especially when you consider how many teams have won the Super Bowl without spending their top draft pick on a quarterback (New Orleans, New England, Tampa, Baltimore, St. Louis, etc.)

Until you find that Franchise QB you will always be trying to Dilfer yourself to ONE Championship...

So sick of it, at this point, forget SB, I'd just like to see a Franchise Top QB in place and enjoy some good offense for a bunch of years!!!
The problem is that for every Luck and RGIII, there is a JaMarcus Russell and a Matt Leinart. So you either hit the jackpot or you bankrupt your team. I don't like that method, especially when you consider how many teams have won the Super Bowl without spending their top draft pick on a quarterback (New Orleans, New England, Tampa, Baltimore, St. Louis, etc.)
Exactly. A guy like Clowney is a 95% sure thing barring injury. First round QB's are coin tosses most of the time

Users who are viewing this thread