What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets @ Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Who do you think will win?

• Jets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steelers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05011/440255.stm

Injury report

Cowher issued one of the healthiest injury reports of the season with all players listed no worse than probable for Saturday's game. Noticeably absent on the injury list: wide receiver Plaxico Burress.

Burress missed five of the final six games with a hamstring injury. He practiced last week.

Those listed as probable: RB Duce Staley (groin), RB Jerome Bettis (ankle), CB Ricardo Colclough (shoulder), RB Verron Haynes (knee), CB Deshea Townsend (hand), LB Kendrell Bell (groin), LB Clark Haggans (groin) and LB James Harrison (groin).

Jets coach Herm Edwards termed Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham (sprained knee), steady receiver Wayne Chrebet (concussion) and backup linebacker Kenyatta Wright as probable. Abraham and Chrebet were noticeably absent in the Jets' 20-17, overtime victory at San Diego Saturday.

Always a little dangerous to play a team twice in the same year - but with the home field, week off, and a ton of momentum the Steelers are going to crush them.
Always a little dangerous to play a team twice in the same year - but with the home field, and a ton of momentum the Chargers are going to crush them. :rotflmao:

Always a little dangerous to play a team twice in the same year - but with the home field, week off, and a ton of momentum the Steelers are going to crush them.
Always a little dangerous to play a team twice in the same year - but with the home field, and a ton of momentum the Chargers are going to crush them.:rotflmao:
Do the math.Steelers vs teams still in the playoffs:

3-0

vs. Patriots WON 34-20

vs. Eagles WON 27-3

vs. Jets WON 17-6

AVG margin of victory 16.3 pts

Jets vs. teams still in the playoffs:

0-4

at New England LOST 13-7

at Pittsburgh LOST 17-6

vs.New England LOST 23-7

at St. Louis LOST 32-29

AVG margin of loss 9 pts

I'm not saying the Jets will win BECAUSE of the fact that people said the same thing regarding the Chargers before the Jets pulled off an "upset." I'm just poking fun at the fact that people were saying nearly the same thing about the game last week as ShadowMaster said earlier regarding this game.

Just heard on ESPN radio in Pittsburgh that John Abraham has been downgraded from probable to questionable. Sorry, no link...

Jets' Abraham questionable to face Steelers

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8089333

NFL.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Jan. 11, 2005) -- Jets defensive end John Abraham is questionable for New York's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers with a sprained right knee.

Coach Herman Edwards said Abraham is still sore and would make a game-time decision on the status of his Pro Bowl player. Abraham was initially listed as probable to start the week after missing his fifth straight game with the injury. Last week, Abraham said he needed to weigh his options when deciding whether to play because of his impeding free agency.

Though Abraham is still sore, Edwards expects him to participate when the team returns to practice Jan. 12.

"When a player can't go full speed you really don't want to put him in harm's way," Edwards said. "It's best for John, best for the team until he can go full speed he shouldn't play. He's going to do everything he can this week to try to be prepared."

Jets' Abraham questionable to face Steelers

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/8089333

NFL.com wire reports

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (Jan. 11, 2005) -- Jets defensive end John Abraham is questionable for New York's playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers with a sprained right knee.

Coach Herman Edwards said Abraham is still sore and would make a game-time decision on the status of his Pro Bowl player. Abraham was initially listed as probable to start the week after missing his fifth straight game with the injury. Last week, Abraham said he needed to weigh his options when deciding whether to play because of his impeding free agency.

Though Abraham is still sore, Edwards expects him to participate when the team returns to practice Jan. 12.

"When a player can't go full speed you really don't want to put him in harm's way," Edwards said. "It's best for John, best for the team until he can go full speed he shouldn't play. He's going to do everything he can this week to try to be prepared."
tsk, tsk ... too bad. :stillers: :stillers: He'll have plenty of NYJ company to sit & watch the Steelers in the conference title game next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting article regarding all those phantom calls last game...

"When we got the report back [the next week], it said that a number of those shouldn't have been called," he continued. "I know one thing: I'd like to see us in the first half without those plays they took away."

Bethel Park native raises cane as Jets assistant

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Mike Westhoff has his metal cane, the one with the blue grip tape around the curved handle, propped against his desk. He prefers not to lean on it anymore, more than a decade and a half after the cancer surgery to remove an egg-sized tumor from his left femur and patch him up with two plates, 25 screws and a 7-inch cadaver bone so he could hobble around football sidelines. Yet he won't hesitate to heave the object at an unsuspecting sort.Sometimes his own players.

Sometimes NFL officials.

"I've thrown it out there at those guys," said Westhoff, a Bethel Park native preparing for a homecoming Saturday as the New York Jets' assistant head coach and special teams coach. "I'm pretty famous for throwing it on the field. Volatile business we're in."

Two factors fall most prominently under Westhoff's watch in his Long Island duties, and one of them particularly plays a role in this Jets-Steelers rematch in the AFC divisional playoff game at Heinz Field: the penalties on New York's side.

Nothing gets Westhoff to, well, raise cane more than unwanted or unmerited penalties. And the Jets compiled a peck of them in that 17-6 loss Dec. 12 at Heinz Field. The AFC's least-penalized team promptly rang up a dozen penalties in the first half alone, marching them 84 yards in reverse. It not only was their worst such showing of an 11-6 season to date, it was a scant three fewer than their entire total for the first month of the season.

"And nothing was called in the second half," Westhoff fairly barked yesterday, a 57th birthday he celebrated with a box of chocolates from Sarris, near the Canon-McMillan High School where he began a coaching sojourn that took him to IUP, four major-college coaching stops, Frank Kush's Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts for three seasons and a 15-year run with the Miami Dolphins before joining Jets coach Herm Edwards' staff in 2001. "Come on now. That's ridiculous."

Westhoff told referee Walt Anderson and his crew just that at halftime underneath Heinz Field: I don't think you guys are ready for a game this big. They didn't appreciate his candor, he recalled. At least he didn't cane them.

"When we got the report back [the next week], it said that a number of those shouldn't have been called," he continued. "I know one thing: I'd like to see us in the first half without those plays they took away."

He was speaking of the 30-yard LaMont Jordan run down the sideline and a 39-yard pass from Chad Pennington to Santana Moss, each wiped away by Anderson and Co. -- and all in the same second-quarter series. First, a holding infraction on tight end Anthony Becht brought back Jordan's gain to the Steelers' 20. Then, after a false-start call, the Pennington-Moss hookup to the Steelers' 25 was nullified by a penalty for delay of game.

"With all the penalties, it was still a 3-3 game" after three quarters, said Jets linebacker and special-teamer Jonathan Vilma. "We withstood it." But three penalties in one series? The Jets didn't commit so many in entire games against Houston and Cincinnati. Moreover, they committed the same amount in full games against Seattle and Arizona.

"When I came here, I asked Herm to be in charge of that," Westhoff said. He'll visit the league's Park Avenue offices to sit in on meetings about how officials make calls. He and Edwards go so far as to plan for officiating crews, showing players snippets of how certain groups tend to call games. They have retired NFL and college officials work team practices three days each week.

"That's why that Pittsburgh thing was so disturbing," he added. "We were the second-leading penalty team in the league, and that [game] really bothered us."

"Our teams, they don't turn the ball over, and they don't have costly fouls," added receivers coach Jim Hostler, a fellow Bethel Park High School product, though nearly a generation later than Westhoff, whom he didn't know before joining the Jets two years ago.

Certainly, Westhoff has tried to control and coach quality on football fields for 37 seasons. He hoped to be a head coach by now. He would've relished an interview with the Miami Dolphins if they embarked on a routine search, instead of instantly setting upon LSU coach Nick Saban. "That's the only head-coaching job I ever wanted," said Westhoff, who makes his home in Fort Myers on the opposite Florida coast and enjoys fishing for sharks there.

Without flinching, he talks of how his cancer, chemotherapy treatments and seven surgeries contributed to preventing him from becoming a coordinator and then a head coach. It's also true he feels fortunate to survive. He once rubbed an eyebrow, and it fell off. He used to hastily excuse himself from film sessions to vomit outside the Dolphins' facility. This forceful fellow, who was back at his Miami desk three days after an Allderdice and Pitt graduate operated on his leg at Boston's Massachusetts General in 1989, simply focused on limiting penalties and tutoring special teams. He became something of an NFL expert. His Dolphins went nine years without allowing a kickoff return for a touchdown.

His left leg was broke again in 1998, but early this season he shed the knee brace and, for a time, the device he used to help steady himself on the field.

"I've heard some stories," Vilma said of Westhoff pitching that cane. "But he hasn't done it much this year."

Interesting article regarding all those phantom calls last game...

Bethel Park native raises cane as Jets assistant

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Mike Westhoff has his metal cane, the one with the blue grip tape around the curved handle, propped against his desk. He prefers not to lean on it anymore, more than a decade and a half after the cancer surgery to remove an egg-sized tumor from his left femur and patch him up with two plates, 25 screws and a 7-inch cadaver bone so he could hobble around football sidelines. Yet he won't hesitate to heave the object at an unsuspecting sort.Sometimes his own players.

Sometimes NFL officials.

"I've thrown it out there at those guys," said Westhoff, a Bethel Park native preparing for a homecoming Saturday as the New York Jets' assistant head coach and special teams coach. "I'm pretty famous for throwing it on the field. Volatile business we're in."

Two factors fall most prominently under Westhoff's watch in his Long Island duties, and one of them particularly plays a role in this Jets-Steelers rematch in the AFC divisional playoff game at Heinz Field: the penalties on New York's side.

Nothing gets Westhoff to, well, raise cane more than unwanted or unmerited penalties. And the Jets compiled a peck of them in that 17-6 loss Dec. 12 at Heinz Field. The AFC's least-penalized team promptly rang up a dozen penalties in the first half alone, marching them 84 yards in reverse. It not only was their worst such showing of an 11-6 season to date, it was a scant three fewer than their entire total for the first month of the season.

"And nothing was called in the second half," Westhoff fairly barked yesterday, a 57th birthday he celebrated with a box of chocolates from Sarris, near the Canon-McMillan High School where he began a coaching sojourn that took him to IUP, four major-college coaching stops, Frank Kush's Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts for three seasons and a 15-year run with the Miami Dolphins before joining Jets coach Herm Edwards' staff in 2001. "Come on now. That's ridiculous."

Westhoff told referee Walt Anderson and his crew just that at halftime underneath Heinz Field: I don't think you guys are ready for a game this big. They didn't appreciate his candor, he recalled. At least he didn't cane them.

He was speaking of the 30-yard LaMont Jordan run down the sideline and a 39-yard pass from Chad Pennington to Santana Moss, each wiped away by Anderson and Co. -- and all in the same second-quarter series. First, a holding infraction on tight end Anthony Becht brought back Jordan's gain to the Steelers' 20. Then, after a false-start call, the Pennington-Moss hookup to the Steelers' 25 was nullified by a penalty for delay of game.

"With all the penalties, it was still a 3-3 game" after three quarters, said Jets linebacker and special-teamer Jonathan Vilma. "We withstood it." But three penalties in one series? The Jets didn't commit so many in entire games against Houston and Cincinnati. Moreover, they committed the same amount in full games against Seattle and Arizona.

"When I came here, I asked Herm to be in charge of that," Westhoff said. He'll visit the league's Park Avenue offices to sit in on meetings about how officials make calls. He and Edwards go so far as to plan for officiating crews, showing players snippets of how certain groups tend to call games. They have retired NFL and college officials work team practices three days each week.

"That's why that Pittsburgh thing was so disturbing," he added. "We were the second-leading penalty team in the league, and that [game] really bothered us."

"Our teams, they don't turn the ball over, and they don't have costly fouls," added receivers coach Jim Hostler, a fellow Bethel Park High School product, though nearly a generation later than Westhoff, whom he didn't know before joining the Jets two years ago.

Certainly, Westhoff has tried to control and coach quality on football fields for 37 seasons. He hoped to be a head coach by now. He would've relished an interview with the Miami Dolphins if they embarked on a routine search, instead of instantly setting upon LSU coach Nick Saban. "That's the only head-coaching job I ever wanted," said Westhoff, who makes his home in Fort Myers on the opposite Florida coast and enjoys fishing for sharks there.

Without flinching, he talks of how his cancer, chemotherapy treatments and seven surgeries contributed to preventing him from becoming a coordinator and then a head coach. It's also true he feels fortunate to survive. He once rubbed an eyebrow, and it fell off. He used to hastily excuse himself from film sessions to vomit outside the Dolphins' facility. This forceful fellow, who was back at his Miami desk three days after an Allderdice and Pitt graduate operated on his leg at Boston's Massachusetts General in 1989, simply focused on limiting penalties and tutoring special teams. He became something of an NFL expert. His Dolphins went nine years without allowing a kickoff return for a touchdown.

His left leg was broke again in 1998, but early this season he shed the knee brace and, for a time, the device he used to help steady himself on the field.

"I've heard some stories," Vilma said of Westhoff pitching that cane. "But he hasn't done it much this year."
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jets coach Herm Edwards termed Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham (sprained knee), steady receiver Wayne Chrebet (concussion) and backup linebacker Kenyatta Wright as probable.
John Abraham probable? right. probably won't suit up, let alone play, bum. The Jets will win vs. Pitt without him. :yes:

I heard a "psychic" on the radio claim to have predicted a Steelers Super Bowl win back in June. The host mentioned Rothlisberger and she said "Who?"

Not quite Steelers/Ravens...

Jets' comments about revenge get Steelers' attention

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Silly as it might seem in postseason, when motivation and emotion require no additional external fueling, Steelers linebacker James Farrior and several New York Jets players, namely defensive end Shaun Ellis, exchanged relatively charged words yesterday over ... words.

It all goes back to some visiting postgame proclamations when the Steelers and Jets confronted one another Dec. 12 in Heinz Field.

In the aftermatch of that 17-6 Steelers triumph, an array of Jets from native Curtis Martin on down talked for public consumption about how they hoped to return to the same venue, to face the same team, in the postseason.

Ellis went a step further, vowing that night: "If we come back again, we'll beat them. I honestly believe that with all my might."

This from a muscular, 6-foot-5, 285-pound fellow nicknamed "Big Katt" with 41 career sacks, including 1.5 of his team-high 11 this season coming at Heinz Field a month ago today.

"Yeah, we noticed it," Farrior, a Jets linebacker between 1997-2001, offered on a telephone conference call with New York media yesterday morning in advance of the 4:30 p.m. Jets-Steelers clash Saturday in an AFC divisional playoff.

"We were surprised he said that. ... We just looked at it and laughed at it, and they got what they wished for" -- a rematch on the North Shore.

To which Ellis responded barely seconds later, when informed by media members about Farrior's comments: "The statement that I made, I'm a man, I put my name on it, I'll stick by it."

Then again, Ellis added, what would folks expect from a professional, competitive athlete after a loss?

"I'm not going to say they're going to beat us the next time," he continued.

"I'd be a damn fool to say that. I still believe that [the Jets will win]. It was just the way I truly felt in my heart. Here it is, we got another chance against them. ... Whatever happens, happens."

OK, so it isn't exactly a page out of Ravens week, but it's a little vitriol in a postseason when bulletin boards usually deal only with players' playoff ticket arrangements.

But it won't help the Jets any that cornerback David Barrett lumped that Steelers outcome in the accident-quirk category:

"Games like that," Barrett said, "you always want to come back and play them again and show that the first time was a fluke."

For the most part, though, the Jets cautiously chose their words this time.

"No, this game right here, there is no need for bulletin-board material because everybody knows what's at stake," Ellis said.

"You don't need any extra motivation to go out there and play."

To be sure, the Jets still feel an extra sting from that Steelers defeat. They were whistled for 12 penalties in the first half, a season high for a team that committed the fewest in the AFC this season and the least amount in the NFL combined over the past four years under coach Herman Edwards.

League officials, in their postgame report the following week, admitted that Walt Anderson's crew muffed a few of the calls -- two of which came in one second-quarter series, wiping out 59 yards in Jets gains, and another that nullified a Hines Ward fumble.

Worse for this bunch, they held rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to his worst day of his 14-game NFL winning streak -- he compiled a 1.3 passer rating in the first half and tossed two interceptions -- and lost to the Steelers on a day when the winning touchdown was scored on a pass from ... Jerome Bettis?

The Jets outgained the Steelers, 296 yards to 262, but quarterback Chad Pennington threw a pass that Farrior intercepted at the Steelers' 26 and a Troy Polamalu interception deep in New York territory led to a Jeff Reed field goal.

In short, the Jets remember it being a 3-3 close call until the fourth quarter, whereupon the Steelers scored on Bettis' halfback pass to Jerame Tuman and his touchdown rumble around right end nine minutes later.

The fact that the loss was the first of three in the Jets' final four regular-season games only serves to compound their agony.

"We didn't play physical enough and we didn't play smart," linebacker Eric Barton said of the Jets' defense, which allowed Roethlisberger to rally from that horrendous first half to complete four of his final five passes for 99 yards.

"Penalties and coverages, we messed up a couple of times."

"We felt like a lot of things were against us and we played out of character, we got a lot of penalties," Ellis said.

"Not saying we should have won or whatever, but it could have been a lot tighter at the end. That's the game we like to play."

"When we all left the field, we said to each other, 'We'll be back here again,' " Pennington continued.

"We felt like we would get another crack at them. It just so happens that it worked out that way."

Making the second chance a successful one?

"That's the attitude that you have to have," Martin said.

"It doesn't even matter what I said," Ellis concluded. "We have to go out there and play ball. Everybody says a lot of things, but, once you get between the lines, hey, it's show up or put up."

Or shut up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Chuck Finder can be reached at cfinder@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1724.)

First, BGP, yards per point allowed id a dumb stat. It asks how many yards have to be gained in order to score points. But all that implies is that a bend-but-don't-break defense will ahve a higher yards per point allowed, while a shut-em-down defense that is as good, by way of points, as the bend-but-don't-break will ahve a lower yards-per-point-allowed. The fact that it takes more yards to score on you just means that you force fewer 3-and-outs, and possibly that you have above-average special teams.Second, Burress means a lot to the Steelers, but Abraham means more to the Jets. A great pass-rusher always beats a receiver who is just good. Abraham can take over a game, or at least a half. Burress hasn't done that more than once or twice in his career.Third, The Jets will get the ball to Lamont Jordan more than 3 times. And it was Jordan's 30-yard run that was callsed back. While I remember thinking that a lot of the penalties in the first game were BS calls, it doesn't really matter. Jordan should get at least 10 and perhaps as many as 15-18 touches, depending on how Marin runs. That's an element the Steelers didn't ahve to deal with the last time, and Jordan is running for a contract and is clearly more explosive than Martin. But honeslty, this game comes down to QB play, protection, and INTs. I think that one QB is going to get less protection, will be huried more, and will throw a pick or two. I happen to think that it will be Big Ben, who, for all else that has been said about him, is still a rookie who has never seen an NFL playoff game, or an NFL playoff defense from a team that already saw him play once. The last time the Steelers, and Roethlisberger last played a meaningful game was probably over a month ago, and their lack of polish has shown. They remain a formidable team, but the Jets have a chance, and they have mroe of a chance than San Diego would have had.

The last time the Steelers, and Roethlisberger last played a meaningful game was probably over a month ago, and their lack of polish has shown.
They played a meaningful game against Baltimore in week 16 to clinch home field advantage, and they controled the game throughout. How has their "lack of polish" shown?

The last time the Steelers, and Roethlisberger last played a meaningful game was probably over a month ago, and their lack of polish has shown.
They played a meaningful game against Baltimore in week 16 to clinch home field advantage, and they controled the game throughout. How has their "lack of polish" shown?
Without trying to blast anyone here, perhaps whoever posted this was referring to the obvious rust Roethlisberger showed in going 14-19 for 221 and 2 TD (1 INT) in 3 quarters against Baltimore, the last time he has seen the field.

Without trying to blast anyone here, perhaps whoever posted this was referring to the obvious rust Roethlisberger showed in going 14-19 for 221 and 2 TD (1 INT) in 3 quarters against Baltimore, the last time he has seen the field.
No, he meant to indicate that the Steelers didn't look as polished in beating Baltimore and Buffalo as NE did in losing to Miami or the Jets did in losing 3 of their last 4 games.

I just heard a report that Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell did not practice today. No word if it was due to illness, injury, or something else.UPDATE: Bell and Porter reportedly have the flu.

I just heard a report that Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell did not practice today. No word if it was due to illness, injury, or something else.UPDATE: Bell and Porter reportedly have the flu.
Bell has hinted that he won't play but for his teammates...Abraham was criticized for sitting out the wild-card game at San Diego.Bell understood."He doesn't want to put himself out there at 75 percent and jeopardize getting injured and losing out to a good contract," Bell said.If you do see these guys play hurt, it'll probably be because of loyalty to their teammates, not to their teams.There is a distinct difference.What Bell doesn't get is you have to produce when you're on the field and he hasn't done much of that the last 2 seasons. Sounds to me like he better get his ### out on the field if he's hoping for a big pay day any time soon. :football:

First, BGP, yards per point allowed id a dumb stat.
I find it intensely interesting that when one team is more efficient on both sides of the ball than their opponent in the conference title games/super bowl, they are 17-2 over the past 14 years..That's a case where a theory shows up as results on the field.

Abraham didn't practice today--wuss.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
agreed, but the Jets will just have to go to war without him. Thomas has been doing a great job holding down the fort.Funny, all this Pittsburgh hype looks a lot like last week's San Diego hype.

I understand why the Jets are big underdogs here, but we have nothing to lose, we're not expected to win and for that reason alone, no real Pittsburgh fan will tell you they're comfortable with seeing the Jets back in Pittsburgh.

Looking forward to a bone-crunching game. :devil:

no real Pittsburgh fan will tell you they're comfortable with seeing the Jets back in Pittsburgh.
Well, I guess I'm not a real Steelers fan, because I'm comfortable with the Jets coming back here on Saturday. That's not to say the Jets don't have a chance, because they obviously do. But I'm more than comfortable with the matchup and I'll truly be shocked if the Steelers don't advance.

Plax will love this. Who is David Barrett?

Talking a good game

Jets are unfazed by last month's loss to Steelers, exuding confidence they will turn tables in rematch

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...ny-sports-print

BY KEN BERGER

STAFF WRITER

January 12, 2005

Shaun Ellis knew what was coming. He showed up in front of his locker, stared at a horde of reporters and camera-toting types, and stood by his word.

It was a month ago when Ellis made headlines in the visiting locker room at Heinz Field, stating unabashedly after a 17-6 loss that should the Jets face the Steelers in the playoffs, the result would be different.

"Yeah, I still believe that," the Jets defensive end said yesterday. "We've got to go out there and show them and prove it. Back it up."

The Steelers (15-1) made note of Ellis' postgame comments in December and "looked at it and laughed about it," according to former Jet James Farrior.

"They got what they wished for," Farrior said yesterday. "They said they wanted to see us again in the playoffs, and now they have their chance." Ah, some juice to kick off the divisional playoff week.

"We're ready to play 'em," Ellis said. "That's all I can say. It's my comment, I stand by it. I honestly truly believed that in my heart and I still do believe that in my heart. My mind's not going to change. So whatever it is, it is. We're going to go out there and play. We'll be there."

Several teammates backed up Ellis, including running back Curtis Martin, who said: "There's not any doubts in any minds, whatsoever."

The Jets (11-6) are talking pretty tough for a 9-point underdog on the road. The last time the Jets were more than 9-point underdogs was Week 3 in 1997 against New England, when they lost, 27-24, in overtime in Bill Parcells' return to Foxboro as a 10-point underdog. It's a role that suits them.

"Don't give us a chance," said running back LaMont Jordan, who could be the X-factor this time after touching the ball only three times in the last meeting. "When we win, I'm going to look at you in your face and I'm going to smile."

Even coach Herman Edwards entered the fray yesterday, when asked if there would be less pressure on the Jets than on the Steelers. "Are you kidding me?" Edwards said. "This is the playoffs. There's pressure ... I'm not playing with house money. That's a bunch of sayings, a bunch of talk."

Clearly, the Jets aren't going to Pittsburgh for the frequent-flier miles, or to sample a Roethlis-Burger.

"If we're going to do that, don't show up," Edwards said. "Stay at home. Go hide under your bed and be scared. We're not doing that."

Though they've never won in Pittsburgh - 0-6 all time, 0-2 under Edwards - the surroundings are familiar and they believe they played well there last month. Their quarterback, Chad Pennington, has something to prove. Their defense believes it matched the Steelers' offense last time except for a handful of crucial plays.

Not even the return of receiver Plaxico Burress from a hamstring injury seemed to faze the Jets' secondary. Burress didn't play in the first meeting.

"It's all right he's coming back," cornerback David Barrett said. "It's probably good for us." Why? "Because we can get him on the line. He's one of those guys who's not very good at getting off the line, so that's going to help us out a lot. You just have to get your hands on him."

Wait until Burress and the Steelers get their hands on these quotes, though.

"Don't talk about it, be about it," Edwards warned. " . . . All the talking is good, because people read it and that's great. But then, you've got to go play."

How long until we hear a Steeler say:"If it wasn't for us, the Jets wouldn't even be in the playoffs?"The smack is unimpressive so far.

How long until we hear a Steeler say:"If it wasn't for us, the Jets wouldn't even be in the playoffs?"The smack is unimpressive so far.
Steeler fans don't have to say it--Jets fans obviously already know it. You're welcome.

no real Pittsburgh fan will tell you they're comfortable with seeing the Jets back in Pittsburgh.
Well, I guess I'm not a real Steelers fan, because I'm comfortable with the Jets coming back here on Saturday. That's not to say the Jets don't have a chance, because they obviously do. But I'm more than comfortable with the matchup and I'll truly be shocked if the Steelers don't advance.
I'd say anyone right now has to be damn comfortable playing any other team right now that isn't the Indianapolis Colts.....

There really is no need to talk smack if you're a Steelers player... :football:

Flu big strikes :X Linebackers Joey Porter and Kendrell Bell did not practice yesterday because they have the flu that coach Bill Cowher described as "hopefully, a 24-hour thing.""We didn't want to take any chances getting them around the rest of the players," said Cowher, who also said both will return today.

First, BGP, yards per point allowed id a dumb stat.
I find it intensely interesting that when one team is more efficient on both sides of the ball than their opponent in the conference title games/super bowl, they are 17-2 over the past 14 years..That's a case where a theory shows up as results on the field.
BGP, Are you saying the team with the best YPP during the game has gone 17-2? Or are you saying the team coming into the game with the better YPP has gone on to post a 17-2 mark?

Because one of those stats might have some merit, and the other one... to be nice.... not so much.

One down, 52 to go....The Star Ledger reports Jets DE John Abraham won't play in Saturday's AFC divisional playoff game against the Steelers at Heinz Field, a team official told The Star-Ledger last night. Abraham, who has missed the past five games with a sprained lateral collateral ligament in his right knee, moved gingerly even in drills during practice yesterday and isn't close to 100 percent. His game is speed and there's no way he can be effective against the Steelers, especially playing on what is expected to be a sloppy track. "John is hurt," a person close to Abraham said. "People think it's about the money but it's not. John is hurt."

Trash talk has Burress out to prove toughness

Steelers’ receiver riled, but Jets’ Barrett refuses to back down

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-...ny-sports-print

BY BOB GLAUBER

STAFF CORRESPONDENT

January 13, 2005

PITTSBURGH -- Plaxico Burress read the newspaper clipping with a mixture of disbelief and disgust.

The Steelers' fifth-year wide receiver, preparing for Saturday's divisional playoff game against the Jets, read in yesterday's Newsday that Jets cornerback David Barrett questioned his ability to play a physical game.

"It's all right he's coming back," Barrett said of Burress, who missed the Steelers' 17-6 win over the Jets on Dec. 12. "It's probably good for us, because we can get him on the line. He's one of those guys who's not very good at getting off the line, so that's going to help us out a lot. You just have to get your hands on him ... He's not a fast guy. He's not a burner."

Ouch.

Until now, Burress hardly knew who Barrett was. He referred to him yesterday as "Barnett, No. 36."

You mean Barrett?

"Exactly. I don't even know his name," Burress said of the Jets' cornerback, who signed as a free agent from Arizona in the offseason. "Who is he? I expect a former Arizona Cardinal to say something like that. This is the biggest game he's ever played in, so he doesn't know anything. So you expect that from guys like that.

"I'm sitting here, minding my own business in my locker room, not worried about nothing, and then I see that? Those are the guys up there running their mouths. Every time somebody wants to make a name for themselves, they kind of call me out. They're talking about how I can't get out from a bump and run, stuff like that."

Burress plans to prove otherwise when the teams meet at Heinz Field. The winner advances to the AFC Championship Game against the winner of Sunday's Patriots-Colts game.

Burress said he's convinced the Steelers can dominate the Jets with the passing game.

"Oh, no question," he said. "No doubt."

Does he see himself making big plays? "I see myself making big plays every week," he said. "I average 20 yards a catch. That's a big play every time I touch the football. I see myself doing things like that."

Burress missed five games near the end of the regular season because of a hamstring problem, but is back to full strength and plans on being a major factor.

Especially because of Barrett's comments.

"Because of all the things he said this week, it makes you want to prove some things to people," said Burress, who had 35 catches for 698 yards and five touchdowns in the regular season. "It's a nationally televised game, and everybody's going to be watching. You say things like that, you put a spotlight on yourself. You get beat a couple of times, you get frustrated, and you start guessing and your whole game goes down the tubes. We'll see what happens."

Barrett didn't seem to mind that Burress took note of his critical remarks from the day before.

"They're making it sound like I'm going out there to beat him up," Barrett said yesterday. "Hey, if that's what it's turned into, that's what it's got to turn into. I pretty much stand by that. If you get your hands on a tall guy like that on the line, it's going to throw him off balance and not let him get downfield and get that vertical thrust he has."

Barrett did not seem concerned that Burress took umbrage at his remarks.

"You always like the guy who talks trash," he said. "Guys who talk trash make the game exciting. You can talk as much trash as you want to, but you've got to back it up when it's all said and done."

What about Burress' mispronunciation of Barrett's name and the shot he took at his days with the pitiful Cardinals?

"That's all right," Barrett said. "All I've got to say is he'll know who I am when we get on the field. I'll make that apparent."

Bring it on, fellas.

Ken Berger contributed to this report.

Herm got lucky last game when his bad coaching didn't lose the game. This game against the Steelers won't be so forgiving.
Not a Jet fan here but bad coaching? If Barton doesn't take that stupid penalty the Jets win in regulation,on the road,in the playoffs. I think the Jets go down this week but don't say Edwards did a lousy job last week,fact is the Jets outcoached AND outplayed the Chargers.

Herm got lucky last game when his bad coaching didn't lose the game. This game against the Steelers won't be so forgiving.
Not a Jet fan here but bad coaching? If Barton doesn't take that stupid penalty the Jets win in regulation,on the road,in the playoffs. I think the Jets go down this week but don't say Edwards did a lousy job last week,fact is the Jets outcoached AND outplayed the Chargers.
:excited: Kicker also misses a 30 yarder

You mean Barrett?

"Exactly. I don't even know his name," Burress said of the Jets' cornerback, who signed as a free agent from Arizona in the offseason. "Who is he? I expect a former Arizona Cardinal to say something like that. This is the biggest game he's ever played in, so he doesn't know anything. So you expect that from guys like that.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Of the 10,000 stats listed on this post, I think this says it all....Steelers vs teams still in the playoffs:3-0vs. Patriots WON 34-20vs. Eagles WON 27-3vs. Jets WON 17-6AVG margin of victory 16.3 ptsJets vs. teams still in the playoffs:0-4at New England LOST 13-7at Pittsburgh LOST 17-6vs.New England LOST 23-7at St. Louis LOST 32-29AVG margin of loss 9 pts Steelers 24, Jets 13

Pittsburgh LB Kendrell Bell today was downgraded today to questionable for Saturday's game because of high fever. Joey Porter, who missed practice yesterday, was back today and practiced.

Pittsburgh LB Kendrell Bell today was downgraded today to questionable for Saturday's game because of high fever. Joey Porter, who missed practice yesterday, was back today and practiced.
Thanks GB! :thumbup:We can get by without Bell.

Steelers don't lose at home in the Divisional round....
No, they wait until the Championship game to choke. :lol: The Steelers have had home field through out 5 times. They failed to reach the Super Bowl 4 times.

IF they win, they'll just be prolonging the agony.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

The Steelers have had home field through out 5 times. They failed to reach the Super Bowl 4 times.
Just to pick a nit... they have had home field through out 4 times (not including this year) in Cowher's tenure.In '92 there were 3 or 4 teams all tied at 11-5 for the best record in the AFC and the Steelers got home field throughout based on one of the tie breakers... so it's not like they were a dominant team that year. In addition, they played Buffalo after "the comback" against Houston so Buffalo was playing extremely confidently, they were playoff tested while the Steelers were in the playoffs for the first time in a few years, and N. O'Donnell was coming back from injury... this lose was unfortunate, but everything stacked against the Steelers in that game.In '94 they had home field throughout and should have won against SD.In '95 they had home field throughout and got the "three more yards" to advance to the Super Bowl against Dallas.... Dallas has won two previous Super Bowls and were about 14 or 16 point favorites, but the Steelers were in the game in the 4th quarter until O'Donnell made Larry Brown the game's MVP. So they hung in against a better team and had a chance to win in the 4th quarter..... where's the shame in that?In '97 they did not have home field throughout (it was KC) and Denver beat both Pittsburgh and KC on the road on their way to their first SB win. Pittsburgh was the 2nd seed based on winning the division but Denver might have had a better record that year. I don't consider this a choke, although they should have won at home.In '01 they apparently took the Pats too lightly and the Pats took advantage of the Steelers weak special teams to secure the upset... a lot of things went wrong in that game from the Steelers perspective and they were upset... were in it in the 4th quarter and Kordell couldn't pull it out.Now, I'm not making excuses... their record is 1-3 in AFC championship games and they've only advanced to the SB one time out of the 4 times they have had home field throughout. However, in two of these five years they lost to the Super Bowl runner up and in the other three years they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion (and one of those years they were runner up themselves). Now, all this doesn't mean that much in all honesty because the Steelers are measured by Super Bowl wins, even by fans of other team as this "choking" is often mentioned when talking about the Steelers under Bill Cowher. So while I agree that they have fallen short in the recent past, many, many fans would kill to have a 13 year run like the Steelers have had under Cowher.... and they have another opportunity to get "one for the thumb" this year. It's pretty damn good to be a Steeler fan, all things considered.

The Steelers have had home field through out 5 times. They failed to reach the Super Bowl 4 times.
Just to pick a nit... they have had home field through out 4 times (not including this year) in Cowher's tenure.In '92 there were 3 or 4 teams all tied at 11-5 for the best record in the AFC and the Steelers got home field throughout based on one of the tie breakers... so it's not like they were a dominant team that year. In addition, they played Buffalo after "the comback" against Houston so Buffalo was playing extremely confidently, they were playoff tested while the Steelers were in the playoffs for the first time in a few years, and N. O'Donnell was coming back from injury... this lose was unfortunate, but everything stacked against the Steelers in that game.In '94 they had home field throughout and should have won against SD.In '95 they had home field throughout and got the "three more yards" to advance to the Super Bowl against Dallas.... Dallas has won two previous Super Bowls and were about 14 or 16 point favorites, but the Steelers were in the game in the 4th quarter until O'Donnell made Larry Brown the game's MVP. So they hung in against a better team and had a chance to win in the 4th quarter..... where's the shame in that?In '97 they did not have home field throughout (it was KC) and Denver beat both Pittsburgh and KC on the road on their way to their first SB win. Pittsburgh was the 2nd seed based on winning the division but Denver might have had a better record that year. I don't consider this a choke, although they should have won at home.In '01 they apparently took the Pats too lightly and the Pats took advantage of the Steelers weak special teams to secure the upset... a lot of things went wrong in that game from the Steelers perspective and they were upset... were in it in the 4th quarter and Kordell couldn't pull it out.Now, I'm not making excuses... their record is 1-3 in AFC championship games and they've only advanced to the SB one time out of the 4 times they have had home field throughout. However, in two of these five years they lost to the Super Bowl runner up and in the other three years they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion (and one of those years they were runner up themselves). Now, all this doesn't mean that much in all honesty because the Steelers are measured by Super Bowl wins, even by fans of other team as this "choking" is often mentioned when talking about the Steelers under Bill Cowher. So while I agree that they have fallen short in the recent past, many, many fans would kill to have a 13 year run like the Steelers have had under Cowher.... and they have another opportunity to get "one for the thumb" this year. It's pretty damn good to be a Steeler fan, all things considered.
Incidentally, want to take a guess as to the percentage of times the team with "home field advantage throughout" has made it to the Super Bowl since 1990 (i.e., current playoff format)? Think it's pretty high? How about 50%? 14 teams have made it and 14 haven't. Based on that, one would expect the Steelers to have made it twice instead of just once. Not the worst record of "choking" in history.

One additional thought:Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomsuck.Roethlisberger might be 14 years old, but he is already better than the combination of all of these scabs. Kudos to Coach Cowher for taking some lousy QB's pretty deep into the playoffs. He deserves a trophy.

One additional thought:Bubby Brister, Neil O'Donnel, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomsuck.Roethlisberger might be 14 years old, but he is already better than the combination of all of these scabs. Kudos to Coach Cowher for taking some lousy QB's pretty deep into the playoffs. He deserves a trophy.
Gruden won a ring with Brad Johnson...

Gruden won a ring with Brad Johnson...

Well, even Brad Johnson is better than Cowher's scabs. Now if you bring up Trent Dilfer, you've got a point! But anyways, I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread