What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Hot Stove Thread (1 Viewer)

They finally found pens for the old guys....so

Raul Ibanez signs for $1.1 MIL with the Yankees - perfect fit there as Ibanez will be the LH DH and the Yankees actually have potential for great return on their bucks - Yankee stadium gave up the most home runs to LH hitters last season.

Manny Ramirez signs a minor league deal with Oakland for $500 K - a bargain for sure if he is ready to DH in June - and he can play in all the spring training games so I look forward to seeing him at Phoenix Muni

Last edited by a moderator:
They finally found pens for the old guys....soRaul Ibanez signs for $1.1 MIL with the Yankees - perfect fit there as Ibanez will be the LH DH and the Yankees actually have potential for great return on their bucks - Yankee stadium gave up the most home runs to LH hitters last season.Manny Ramirez signs a minor league deal with Oakland for $500 K - a bargain for sure if he is ready to DH in June - and he can play in all the spring training games so I look forward to seeing him at Phoenix Muni
Hey Cap, my buddy received his number yesterday#84 Let him know we are all rooting for him.

'Wrigley said:
They finally found pens for the old guys....soRaul Ibanez signs for $1.1 MIL with the Yankees - perfect fit there as Ibanez will be the LH DH and the Yankees actually have potential for great return on their bucks - Yankee stadium gave up the most home runs to LH hitters last season.Manny Ramirez signs a minor league deal with Oakland for $500 K - a bargain for sure if he is ready to DH in June - and he can play in all the spring training games so I look forward to seeing him at Phoenix Muni
Hey Cap, my buddy received his number yesterday#84 Let him know we are all rooting for him.
Will do - heading down there tomorrow

'Wrigley said:
well except for the whole Dodgers thing

Sounds like the Astros are looking to use Brett Myers as their closer this season.
Seems like an odd use of resources. The Astros have lots of guys who can pitch one inning but not many who can give them six or seven. They're also paying Myers $12M this year, which is more than Papelbon is making this year. If I were the Astros, I'd be more interested in dumping Myers' final year and option buyout than saving a few extra games in 2012. Myers will be a more tradeable asset at the deadline if he's stretched out as a starter.

Sounds like the Astros are looking to use Brett Myers as their closer this season.
Seems like an odd use of resources. The Astros have lots of guys who can pitch one inning but not many who can give them six or seven. They're also paying Myers $12M this year, which is more than Papelbon is making this year. If I were the Astros, I'd be more interested in dumping Myers' final year and option buyout than saving a few extra games in 2012. Myers will be a more tradeable asset at the deadline if he's stretched out as a starter.
Maybe but they are also restructuring his contract while moving him to the bullpen so he could become a more attractive trade target for a contending teams that finds they need bullpen help

Maybe but they are also restructuring his contract while moving him to the bullpen so he could become a more attractive trade target for a contending teams that finds they need bullpen help
The restructuring was to change the basis for Myers' 2013 vesting option which had been based on his number of starts

Gotta move Myers to the bp now with the additions of Livan Hernandez and Zach Duke.

That Astros rotation is going to be epic.

The one thing I don't like is if one wc team is fighting for the division and the other wc team is far out of the division race yet has a big lead for the 2nd wc spot, it gives an advantage to the worse wc team

The one thing I don't like is if one wc team is fighting for the division and the other wc team is far out of the division race yet has a big lead for the 2nd wc spot, it gives an advantage to the worse wc team
better win your division then. screw the WC teams.

More bad news for Pirate fans or Burnett owners (are there any?)

Burnett has a broken orbital bone in the eye socket - surgery tomorrow - no word on how long he will be out

They're both losers of their divisions. Don't really care if there isn't a reward for finishing a closer second.

Lmao. How do you give Molina 15M per and then haggle with your greatest player ever over money.

Totally unreal.

I do agree that this was a bit knee-jerky by the Cardinals brass to save some face with the fans. Molina, for whatever reason, is just as beloved in St. Louis as Pujols was, if not more. I think I said earlier in this thread that he's to St. Louis what Thurmon Munson was to the Yankees.

That said, the contract takes him through his age 34 season and I think the length is fair. The money...well, like I said earlier in this post, the brass paid a premium for his celebrity as well as his talent.

I do agree that this was a bit knee-jerky by the Cardinals brass to save some face with the fans. Molina, for whatever reason, is just as beloved in St. Louis as Pujols was, if not more. I think I said earlier in this thread that he's to St. Louis what Thurmon Munson was to the Yankees.

That said, the contract takes him through his age 34 season and I think the length is fair. The money...well, like I said earlier in this post, the brass paid a premium for his celebrity as well as his talent.
NO ####### WAY

NO ####### WAY
How would you know, Cubbie?

Lmao. How do you give Molina 15M per and then haggle with your greatest player ever over money. Totally unreal.
They couldve gave Pujols that extra 15mil a year and paid a minor league catcher the league minimum and wouldve been better offPlus the $$ they spent on Beltran lolPujols + replacement level catcher >>>>>>>> Molina & Beltran

NO ####### WAY
Who would you rather have on your team?

NO ####### WAY
Pujols, but that's not the point.

NO ####### WAY
As a Cubs fan, you would think that Wrigley would get that the most beloved players aren't always the best players. The most beloved Cub the last two years is easily Kerry Wood. And Tony Camapana is at least top 5.

i also find it hard to believe molina was more popular then pujols. ive been to st louis a few times and it was all about pujols.

2nd wild card a done deal. I don't love or hate it.
meh, a one game playoff bores me.
:( its the exact opposite of boring.
The game isn't what bores me, it's the concept.How many 1 game series do teams play during the regular season?It's the same reason I think all playoff series should be 7 games. A one game playoff is the suck
Yeah, I think it's pretty dumb. I can't believe they call it a "playoff round" and a "extra wildcard team". It's a stupid play-in game. They're a bad idea in college basketball. It's horrible idea for baseball.Funny, what they call expanding the wildcard really defeats the whole point of a wildcard.A wildcard rewards a very good team (usually) that happens be in a tough division. Maybe people simply don't like the wildcard. That's fine. But for those that do (most I assume), this defeats the purpose.Maybe people miss division races. I get that, but this takes as much off the table as it adds.The WC Race has become very dramatic over the years. Last year, for example, was as intriguing as any division race could ever hope to be. They just eliminated the WC Race. Sure, you'll add some new, inferior teams to the mix and there will be plenty of excitement.This move is probably smart for MLB though. It's for the modern day sports fan (NFL fans, college football fans, march madness fans, etc) that need excitement over substance. The folks that need that single elimination format to care.It'll artificially manufacture excitement for one game. Baseball's not about one game (unless it's game 7 or game 163 for those are tied after the marathon). Perfect for the reality TV crowd.

'boubucarow said:
'Brady Marino said:
'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:
'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
As a Cubs fan, you would think that Wrigley would get that the most beloved players aren't always the best players. The most beloved Cub the last two years is easily Kerry Wood. And Tony Camapana is at least top 5.
he's the one who said just as beloved in St. Louis as Pujols was........it's not even in the same ballpark. And yes Marino, I may live in the Chicago area, but I've been to Bush and it was all Pujols all the time(and before that it was all McGuire)

The Cardinals overpaid the wrong guy

'boubucarow said:
'Brady Marino said:
'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:
'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
he's the one who said just as beloved in St. Louis as Pujols was........it's not even in the same ballpark. And yes Marino, I may live in the Chicago area, but I've been to Bush and it was all Pujols all the time(and before that it was all McGuire)

The Cardinals overpaid the wrong guy
:lmao:

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
Yea I mean come on. We're not idiots here.

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
Did you not read another ####### thing in this thread? What I'm saying: Molina is a fan favorite, just about as much of a FAN FAVORITE as Pujols.

What I'm not saying: Molina is as good as Pujols.

Not that ####### hard.

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
Did you not read another ####### thing in this thread? What I'm saying: Molina is a fan favorite, just about as much of a FAN FAVORITE as Pujols.

Not that ####### hard.
Yes I know what you're saying. And it's stupid and wrong.

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY

Not that ####### hard.
You don't think the fans cheer just as loudly for Molina as they did for Pujols? Have you ever gone to a game at Busch?

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY
There's not any second or third teir players in TB that get as much pop as the superstars?.....In Philly, Carlos Ruiz gets as much pop from the fans as Howard, Utley and Rollins.....and just from viewing the crowds, has just as many t-shirts as any of the other players.

'Wrigley said:
'Brady Marino said:

NO ####### WAY

Not that ####### hard.
You don't think the fans cheer just as loudly for Molina as they did for Pujols? Have you ever gone to a game at Busch?
Yes. Been to a lot of spring games on the east coast as well. I think I've seen 3 people wearing a Molina shirt or jersey. Gazillions wearing Pujols. No way are they comparable in fan loyalty (before this year).

Users who are viewing this thread