What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2012 Hot Stove Thread (2 Viewers)

'Wrigley said:
'Grahamburn said:
'Wrigley said:
How screwed am I?I've drafted/kept 3 Mariners. Ackley: keptMontero: keptCarp: drafted
I like Ackley and Montero. :shrug:JM could be extremely valuable if he can pick up enough starts to get C eligibility.
I liked them enough to keep them tooCarp's power is for real, just not sure about playing time.
Carp is an everyday starter - either LF or DH

How screwed am I?I've drafted/kept 3 Mariners. Ackley: keptMontero: keptCarp: drafted
I like Ackley and Montero. :shrug:JM could be extremely valuable if he can pick up enough starts to get C eligibility.
I liked them enough to keep them tooCarp's power is for real, just not sure about playing time.
Carp to the DL

Carp to the DL
15 day

That pretty much sucks right now for Ranger fans, but that is a lot of money long term. Could get ugly down the road.
at least he can DH in the AL
At over $25 million per.If I were a Rangers fan I'd be popping champagne. It sounds like Kendrys Morales must be a mess otherwise the deal makes no sense, and your main rival just paid $25 million a year for a guy who gives them nothing more than an extra 40 OBP points over a healthy Morales even in 2012. And it's gonna go downhill from there.
LMAO at a fan base popping champagne at a division rival getting the best player in baseball. :confused:
It's a horrible, horrible deal. The Rangers are better at the major league level than the Angels even with this deal (they finished 10 games ahead of the Angels in 2010, 32 year old Pujols isn't worth anywhere near 10 games, and Trout won't make up for the rest of the team's aging), and they're deeper and probably better at the minor league level. The Angels' only advantage over the Rangers was payroll flexibility in the coming years, and they just pooped it away over the next decade on one guy who is already regressing and who plays a position where the Angels already thought they were set (probably meaning they aren't set, i.e. Morales is done, or that they now have the same problem that the Marlins have at SS). I don't see how this isn't a win for the Rangers.
Yeah its a bad deal but as a fan of a team its hard to worry about what happens years down the road. For the next 5 yrs Pujols makes the Angels a better team. :shrug: Id be hard pressed to celebrate that fact if I was a Rangers fan.
Let me know when it's OK for the Rangers to start celebrating.

Why in the hell would Thome sign with the Phillies? Why in the hell would The Phillies sign Thome?
Ryan Howard insurance? Thome comfortable with a pinch hitting role when Howard is healthy?ETA: Also worth noting Thome has never won a WS ring. Perhaps a diminished role with a contender in a city that he's familiar with is his best ticket for a last chance.
The guy hasn't played 1B since 2007, and that was 1 game, so I don't see how he's insurance for Howard.25 man roster in the NL, on a team that will likely have an infield with all 4 positions manned by bunch of 30 somethings. 3 of those guys missed 20+ games last yeardon't see how he fits
Berkman in RF for STL this season must have blown your mind. Something tells me Jim can manage a few games at 1st. Not going to win a Gold Glove, but then again that's not exactly what they signed him for. I suppose you have similar reservations about the Rockies continually renewing Jason Giambi's contract?How is rostering Jim Thome as a pinch hitter/ occasional 1st baseman any different than rostering Ross Gload? Aside from the huge OPS boost Thome brings.
When you want to use someone to compare to Thome, please narrow it down to players that are over 40 and have taken the field one or fewer times in the last 5 years. Berkman - Never stopped playing defense and 6 years youngerGiambi - who while 40 has played over 100 total games @ 1B over the last 3 years and 200+ over the last 4They aren't very good comparisons.As for being a better fit that Gload.... Ask the Dodgers how Jim Thome in a pinch hitter role worked out.
Seems like your problem is with Ruben Amaro, not me. I'm just telling you why they signed him, as you requested in your original post. It's not my job to provide you with examples that suit your liking. If you're going to be like this after every signing, God help this thread.Or, if you don't like that response, maybe this helps close the subject and put you at ease: "You're right, Limp Ditka. Amaro is clearly in over his head, has no idea what he's doing with this ludicrous signing, and can only be helped by the smartest man from the interwebs.... you."
UPDATE: :coffee:Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com on Friday that it’s conceivable Jim Thome could play first base as often as four or five times per month.
And what an epic four games it's been. Ridiculous move. :coffee:

That pretty much sucks right now for Ranger fans, but that is a lot of money long term. Could get ugly down the road.
at least he can DH in the AL
At over $25 million per.If I were a Rangers fan I'd be popping champagne. It sounds like Kendrys Morales must be a mess otherwise the deal makes no sense, and your main rival just paid $25 million a year for a guy who gives them nothing more than an extra 40 OBP points over a healthy Morales even in 2012. And it's gonna go downhill from there.
LMAO at a fan base popping champagne at a division rival getting the best player in baseball. :confused:
It's a horrible, horrible deal. The Rangers are better at the major league level than the Angels even with this deal (they finished 10 games ahead of the Angels in 2010, 32 year old Pujols isn't worth anywhere near 10 games, and Trout won't make up for the rest of the team's aging), and they're deeper and probably better at the minor league level. The Angels' only advantage over the Rangers was payroll flexibility in the coming years, and they just pooped it away over the next decade on one guy who is already regressing and who plays a position where the Angels already thought they were set (probably meaning they aren't set, i.e. Morales is done, or that they now have the same problem that the Marlins have at SS). I don't see how this isn't a win for the Rangers.
Yeah its a bad deal but as a fan of a team its hard to worry about what happens years down the road. For the next 5 yrs Pujols makes the Angels a better team. :shrug: Id be hard pressed to celebrate that fact if I was a Rangers fan.
Let me know when it's OK for the Rangers to start celebrating.
UPDATE: Rangers fans ----> :suds:

Why in the hell would Thome sign with the Phillies? Why in the hell would The Phillies sign Thome?
Ryan Howard insurance? Thome comfortable with a pinch hitting role when Howard is healthy?ETA: Also worth noting Thome has never won a WS ring. Perhaps a diminished role with a contender in a city that he's familiar with is his best ticket for a last chance.
The guy hasn't played 1B since 2007, and that was 1 game, so I don't see how he's insurance for Howard.25 man roster in the NL, on a team that will likely have an infield with all 4 positions manned by bunch of 30 somethings. 3 of those guys missed 20+ games last yeardon't see how he fits
Berkman in RF for STL this season must have blown your mind. Something tells me Jim can manage a few games at 1st. Not going to win a Gold Glove, but then again that's not exactly what they signed him for. I suppose you have similar reservations about the Rockies continually renewing Jason Giambi's contract?How is rostering Jim Thome as a pinch hitter/ occasional 1st baseman any different than rostering Ross Gload? Aside from the huge OPS boost Thome brings.
When you want to use someone to compare to Thome, please narrow it down to players that are over 40 and have taken the field one or fewer times in the last 5 years. Berkman - Never stopped playing defense and 6 years youngerGiambi - who while 40 has played over 100 total games @ 1B over the last 3 years and 200+ over the last 4They aren't very good comparisons.As for being a better fit that Gload.... Ask the Dodgers how Jim Thome in a pinch hitter role worked out.
Seems like your problem is with Ruben Amaro, not me. I'm just telling you why they signed him, as you requested in your original post. It's not my job to provide you with examples that suit your liking. If you're going to be like this after every signing, God help this thread.Or, if you don't like that response, maybe this helps close the subject and put you at ease: "You're right, Limp Ditka. Amaro is clearly in over his head, has no idea what he's doing with this ludicrous signing, and can only be helped by the smartest man from the interwebs.... you."
UPDATE: :coffee:Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro, Jr. told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com on Friday that it’s conceivable Jim Thome could play first base as often as four or five times per month.
And what an epic four games it's been. Ridiculous move. :coffee:
Really couldn't believe it when I read it, but.........Jim Thome (back) has been unable to work any at first base during his rehab."It's too much discomfort for him," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said, "so he's pretty much just hitting." Thome is expected back this weekend to serve as DH during road interleague play, but it sounds like his days as an occasional first baseman are over. He'll be limited to pinch-hitting in NL parks.

Users who are viewing this thread