What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2013 Returnmen thread (1 Viewer)

Yes on McCluster. Not really sure who is going to back him up. I gave it to Knile Davis in the projections but I don't have a lot of confidence in that one.

More big news. Leon Washington released by the Patriots. Josh Boyce and LeGarrette Blount seemed to do best in preseason but there's no assurance they will end up being the kick returners. Julian Edelman could also end up in the mix there.

The Jaguars updated their depth chart post-Shipley, and have Sanders as the PR and Will Blackmon backing him up.

I sent in a new set of projections to take all of today's info into account, should be showing up in Draft Dominator updates in a bit. Also I put them in the article.

For the season, planning on having weekly projections as well as projections forward to cover the rest of the season. Likely also going to have a weekly article that will contain updates similar to the current article. And occasional looks at trends as they develop, like percentage of touchbacks by kicker perhaps.

Yes on McCluster. Not really sure who is going to back him up. I gave it to Knile Davis in the projections but I don't have a lot of confidence in that one.

More big news. Leon Washington released by the Patriots. Josh Boyce and LeGarrette Blount seemed to do best in preseason but there's no assurance they will end up being the kick returners. Julian Edelman could also end up in the mix there.

The Jaguars updated their depth chart post-Shipley, and have Sanders as the PR and Will Blackmon backing him up.

I sent in a new set of projections to take all of today's info into account, should be showing up in Draft Dominator updates in a bit. Also I put them in the article.

For the season, planning on having weekly projections as well as projections forward to cover the rest of the season. Likely also going to have a weekly article that will contain updates similar to the current article. And occasional looks at trends as they develop, like percentage of touchbacks by kicker perhaps.
This would be very useful info. The last few yrs I used this info and it was priceless during the season. Looking at last yrs percentages would be a great start for this year.

This would be very useful info. The last few yrs I used this info and it was priceless during the season. Looking at last yrs percentages would be a great start for this year.
http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/kickoff-touchback-pct

+1 on weekly articles for returners.

We ever find out the final word on Kerley? He seems like one of the few guys that could produce offensive stats for the Jets but if he's returning as well, he could be a sleeper in KR/PR leagues.

I see him listed as PR on Jets official website depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also what do you see as Eddie Royal's outlook now that he's the slot guy in SD and covering both KR and PR duties?

Tenacious said:
I'm seeing news stories last week suggesting McCluster has been taken out of KR rotation.
Hmm. Not sure what to think. I'm seeing a radio host, Danny Parkins, as the only named source for this. Or is anyone seeing any other reports that don't original with his tweets? He said that McCluster was unhappy about being out of the rotation and insinuates that his illness wasn't legitimate. Though apparently several other Chiefs were down with flu at the same time as McCluster supposedly was.

Anyone seen any recent quotes from Andy Reid, Dave Toub or someone else who would be a source we could have confidence in?

Rotoworld, KFFL, etc, didn't even carry the comments about McCluster it seems.

I tweeted Adam Teicher to try to get a comment from him about the kick return but no response. He did file this McCluster article this morning with this bit:

McCluster will also get a chance to contribute as the punt returner. But this could be the last time the Chiefs are content to wait for him to become an impact player. His contract is up at the end of the season, and if he’s not a more consistent product by then, the patience of the Chiefs might be up as well.
So punt returner confirmed. Though that he specifically mentioned punt returner but didn't mention kick returner, if I had to interpret I'd take it as a bad sign.

I think these are the articles I had remembered:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Chiefs_special_teams_feeling_special_again/20130814_223_B6_CUTLIN994956

McCluster appears to be the choice to return punts, but there are still half a dozen options for returning kickoffs.
AND:

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/11/4403769/chiefs-work-hard-for-big-returns.html

McCluster returned kickoffs his first two seasons with the Chiefs but isn’t a candidate for that job this year. The Chiefs are looking at defensive back Quintin Demps, who returned kickoffs for Reid with the Eagles, wide receiver Devon Wylie and Davis, a third-round draft pick.
Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/11/4403769/chiefs-work-hard-for-big-returns.html#storylink=cpy

Greg Russell said:
Will these also be consolidated into team stats? I'm in two leagues that use the special team position broken out from team defense, but neither of them use individual player stats.

Also what do you see as Eddie Royal's outlook now that he's the slot guy in SD and covering both KR and PR duties?
In an SD Union Tribune article about Goodman being released they mentioned:

Running back Fozzy Whittaker is expected to handle kick returns in Goodman's place. At Texas, Whittaker led the NCAA with a 42.4-yard return average on 10 attempts, with two touchdowns, before a knee injury ended his senior year.
The depth chart at Chargers.com lists Royal as both KR and PR right now with Whitaker KR2 and Keenan Allen PR2. Allen and Tasker (now released) were returning punts in preseason while Royal was hurt. Not sure what to make of all that. Given that with the release of Goodman, they only have 5 receivers on the roster, 2 of which are Floyd and Royal who are both injury prone I wonder if they'll expose Royal on both KR and PR duty.

Running back Fozzy Whittaker is expected to handle kick returns in Goodman's place. At Texas, Whittaker led the NCAA with a 42.4-yard return average on 10 attempts, with two touchdowns, before a knee injury ended his senior year.
The depth chart at Chargers.com lists Royal as both KR and PR right now with Whitaker KR2 and Keenan Allen PR2. Allen and Tasker (now released) were returning punts in preseason while Royal was hurt. Not sure what to make of all that. Given that with the release of Goodman, they only have 5 receivers on the roster, 2 of which are Floyd and Royal who are both injury prone I wonder if they'll expose Royal on both KR and PR duty.
That's what has me confused. I'm wondering if taking a flyer on him in my return league is worth it. Return yards are worth half what receiving and rushing are but add in 50 receiving with 50-100 return and it looks like a nice day for a WR3.

Appreciate all of the information in this thread fellas. Joined a few leagues with return pts this year :thumbup:

I have an update on the Week 1 content. It looks like the integration with the normal means of getting at projections in the website forecasts, etc, is not going to be ready to go for Week 1. They are aiming to have them ready for Week 2 but I'll give an update as I hear more. Dodds said they are also looking to get the projections included in MyFBG. I asked about getting them in team defenses and it sounds like that might not show up until next season though.

In the meantime, until the normal ways of getting at the projections are ready, I'll go ahead and put the projections in the "Returner Recap and Latest News" article that is coming.

That's what has me confused. I'm wondering if taking a flyer on him in my return league is worth it. Return yards are worth half what receiving and rushing are but add in 50 receiving with 50-100 return and it looks like a nice day for a WR3.
Whittaker should be handling the KR duties. It's expected that Royal handles PR duties, but I'm not sure they expose him to that coming off of injury, at least for week 1.

Rams updated their depth chart.

Tavon Austin as listed as the PR with Pettis backing him up.

Benny Cunningham is the KR with Austin backing him up.

New set of updates in the article. (ETA: Just heard back they are going into Draft Dominator, you'll need to do an Update from inside of DD on Wednesday to get them.)

Some of the fantasy significant players updated:

Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Emmanuel Sanders, Eddie Royal, Dexter McCluster

Week 1 article finished and submitted. Will add updates on primary returner injury status throughout the week.

Included are a touchback percentage by kicker. Also the number of projected kickoffs, returnable kickoffs, and total punts (including touchbacks, not returnable) by receiving team for week 1. And then the yards and TD projections for individual returners. Tomorrow night I'll add in a table that totals it by team for those wanting to use them with team defenses.

In case anyone wonders, the total number of kickoffs, returned kickoffs, and total number of punts all fall close to league averages for a 16 game week.

Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 23m

#Packers first depth chart of the regular season has Jeremy Ross listed as both the punt returner and kickoff returner.
Ouch Cobb better one heckuva a season.......................can't believe he won't be at least the PR stuff.
Not surprised to be honest, with his role expanded into pretty much a starter and his injury they probably wanna keep him away from the risks. I think he'll get a couple of chances a game especially if it a close score in the 2nd halfs

And the Week 1 article now has all the info summed up by team, as well as the individual projections.

Here's what i have for a summary: I've only listed players who will be valuable without return yardage but with return yardage could be guys to really go after in leagues w/ return points.

Sproles and Jacoby Jones: kicks and punts

DJax, ABrown, Austin, Hilton: punts

Givens, Cobb, Wilson: spot duty

Did i get those right or miss anyone?

I need a list of defensive backs who will also be returning. Only ones I know of are McKelvin and Peterson. Is there anyone else?

I need a list of defensive backs who will also be returning. Only ones I know of are McKelvin and Peterson. Is there anyone else?
Brandon Boykin will get some KRs for Philly.

Devin McCourty may be in the mix for New England.

Javier Arenas will get some KRs in Arizona.

Here's what i have for a summary: I've only listed players who will be valuable without return yardage but with return yardage could be guys to really go after in leagues w/ return points.

I may be off my rocker here, but I think Ted Ginn Jr. (and Jacoby) could be this year's Cobb. Not sure on all the info, but I think Ginn won the slot job. FGB has no WR projections on him, so I guess they are thinking he is going to be WR 4/5/6? During preseason it seemed as if Newton targeted him just as many times if not more than Smith and Lafell when they were on the field together. He will be the KR & PR. He has looked electric and may have finally learned how to catch the ball. Grab him before it's too late.

I may be off my rocker here, but I think Ted Ginn Jr. (and Jacoby) could be this year's Cobb. Not sure on all the info, but I think Ginn won the slot job. FGB has no WR projections on him, so I guess they are thinking he is going to be WR 4/5/6? During preseason it seemed as if Newton targeted him just as many times if not more than Smith and Lafell when they were on the field together. He will be the KR & PR. He has looked electric and may have finally learned how to catch the ball. Grab him before it's too late.
Might slow roll on that one. Ginn's a bit tenured for the light to suddenly go on. He's been bounced from Miami and more recently from the WR deprived 9ers. We also need to be clear.. are we talking J Jones ceiling or Cobb? The former is within the realm of possibility I suppose though somewhat unlikely.

If he does break out at the age of 28, everyone myself included have been wrong about everything. I will be the first to congratulate you for seeing it and I will be ecstatic about his career resuscitation.. :bag:

Cordarrelle Patterson limited with back injury by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com[SIZE=.8em](9/4/13)[/SIZE] Vikings wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was limited in practice Wednesday, due to a back injury. It is not clear when he suffered the injury, but it does not appear to be an issue that should limit him in Week 1 against the Lions. Back - Limited practice. Questionable for Week 1 at Detroit http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/1996183/cordarrelle-patterson

Leon Washington re-signed by Patriots.

You shouldn't have been counting on individuals for the Pats as returners this week anyway. But now you really shouldn't. Could be any of four or five guys returning kickoffs.

Leon Washington re-signed by Patriots.

You shouldn't have been counting on individuals for the Pats as returners this week anyway. But now you really shouldn't. Could be any of four or five guys returning kickoffs.
for my personal uses I was really hoping he'd sign with the Jets, but as a fan of LW glad hes back on the Pats and has a chance to end his career on a high note

Posted new updates in the Week 1 content article including updated projections. Some new depth charts came out, so a few changes.

Again, next week the return projections should be in the normal projections areas on the website, but will still do an article for changing situations and a recap of week 1.

Didn't read every post but has Ross been confirmed as main KR and PR for GB?

Thanks for any info.
He is atop the depth chart at both KR and PR.

But don't read that as meaning you should have any confidence he'll see the majority of the returns. The coaching staff isn't providing clarification on what they intend. They put Ross atop the depth chart, but said Cobb will be involved.

If I have to guess, Ross gets the early touches and if he does well he stays in, if not he has a short leash if the game is still being contested.

Greg Russell said:
JoeSteeler said:
Didn't read every post but has Ross been confirmed as main KR and PR for GB?

Thanks for any info.
He is atop the depth chart at both KR and PR.

But don't read that as meaning you should have any confidence he'll see the majority of the returns. The coaching staff isn't providing clarification on what they intend. They put Ross atop the depth chart, but said Cobb will be involved.

If I have to guess, Ross gets the early touches and if he does well he stays in, if not he has a short leash if the game is still being contested.
Thanks Greg. in a league with a designated KR Position and getting .1pt/return yards (KR & PR) would you start Ross or T Cadet? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.

How is this thread four pages long with virtually no mention of Marquise Goodwin? Dude's gonna be electric in Marrone's offense and special teams. Get him tonight while you still can. Pats are going to be kicking off a lot tomorrow and Manuel's going to throw a lot of short passes.

Going into the Monday night games, the per team average of KO returns per game is just under half what it has been the last 2 years.

How is this thread four pages long with virtually no mention of Marquise Goodwin? Dude's gonna be electric in Marrone's offense and special teams. Get him tonight while you still can. Pats are going to be kicking off a lot tomorrow and Manuel's going to throw a lot of short passes.
Bills rookie WR Marquise Goodwin requires surgery on his broken hand, and is out indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread