What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2013 Returnmen thread (2 Viewers)

Who is the better option going forward? This is a dedicated KR position with no other stats awarded points.

(.1 pts/return yard + 7.5 pts/return TD)

Chris Thompson WAS

or

Fozzy Whittaker SD

???

Thanks for any input.

Greg Russell said:
Week 2 projections and the Returner Recap are done and should hit the site sometime tomorrow.
I see the recap but no projections yet. Am I not looking in the right place or have they just not been posted yet?

McCluster is intriguing all of a sudden - he had 80 return yards on punts alone. Anyone see him how did he look?
He intrigues me as well. If he consistently gets around 5 touches on offense along with returns, he could be worth a flex. I'm debating dropping Corderelle for him.

I need a list of defensive backs who will also be returning. Only ones I know of are McKelvin and Peterson. Is there anyone else?
Brandon Boykin will get some KRs for Philly.

Devin McCourty may be in the mix for New England.

Javier Arenas will get some KRs in Arizona.
Did Boykin return any? Arenas doesn't play enough on D to be any value for me.

I'm checking on the status of them in MyFBG and such. Give me a minute to tabilize it and I'll get a copy into the article while I'm finding out.

Insein said:
McCluster is intriguing all of a sudden - he had 80 return yards on punts alone. Anyone see him how did he look?
He intrigues me as well. If he consistently gets around 5 touches on offense along with returns, he could be worth a flex. I'm debating dropping Corderelle for him.
I would consider McCluster's 8 punt returns a fluke. Jacksonville punted to him 11 times, and couldn't get a first down most of the day so were punting from deep in their territory, making them returnable. Here are where the punts were snapped from, all of these on Jacksonville's side of the field:

So basically other than the last punt from midfield, everything else was going to be returnable unless a coverage guy got downfield in time for a fair catch. And Bryan Anger has a booming leg, so outkicking his coverage is easy for him to do. Off the 11 punts, only the one from the 50 was a touchback, and 2 were fair catches.

Normally this might suggest jumping on the punt returner for Jacksonville's next opponent (Phillip Adams in Oakland). But I don't expect the Jags to be as inept, they pretty much didn't move the ball until the last drive week 1. Gabbert is out and Henne is in. Plus they play the Raiders, who even though they did well last week against the Colts, I think are more likely to play down to the Jaguars level than the Chiefs were. Even so I have the Jags and Jets tied for most punts and have Adams as a top ten returner for the week (edit: top ten punt returner, not top ten total return yards). But I'm not expecting nearly as many returnable punts this week as Jacksonville gave McCluster. And I wouldn't expect McCluster to see that many returns in a game again all year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:
I would consider McCluster's 8 punt returns a fluke. Jacksonville punted to him 11 times, and couldn't get a first down most of the day so were punting from deep in their territory, making them returnable. Here are where the punts were snapped from, all of these on Jacksonville's side of the field:

So basically other than the last punt from midfield, everything else was going to be returnable unless a coverage guy got downfield in time for a fair catch. And Bryan Anger has a booming leg, so outkicking his coverage is easy for him to do. Off the 11 punts, only the one from the 50 was a touchback, and 2 were fair catches.

Normally this might suggest jumping on the punt returner for Jacksonville's next opponent (Phillip Adams in Oakland). But I don't expect the Jags to be as inept, they pretty much didn't move the ball until the last drive week 1. Gabbert is out and Henne is in. Plus they play the Raiders, who even though they did well last week against the Colts, I think are more likely to play down to the Jaguars level than the Chiefs were. Even so I have the Jags and Jets tied for most punts and have Adams as a top ten returner for the week. But I'm not expecting nearly as many returnable punts this week as Jacksonville gave McCluster. And I wouldn't expect McCluster to see that many returns in a game again all year.
Good points I hadn't considered. Patterson has more upside all around anyway. Thanks.

Ok, projections added to the article. Sorry for the inconvenience guys. I sorted by total return yards to help you all out, and also added player position as a column.

Greg, is there a way I can get projections/rankings based on an entire team's return game? We still use team defense for returner points.

Greg, are there any plans for the return projections to get populated in the Lineup Dominator going forward? The categories are there if you look at the projections but last I checked they were all zeroes.

Greg, are there any plans for the return projections to get populated in the Lineup Dominator going forward? The categories are there if you look at the projections but last I checked they were all zeroes.
I'm trying to find out a schedule, haven't heard back yet.

I actually just spent the last 30 minutes trying to hack the Lineup Dominator files to insert the weekly returner projections in there. I can get the forward numbers to work but I'm doing something wrong with the weekly.

Talked to Bruce and the Lineup Dominator executable is ready to go (as you guys noticed), but the database piece that fuels it is still being worked. Will continue to let you guys know what I hear.

Looks like David Reed will be out for the Colts.

Also, Deonte Thompson is doubtful and Bernard Pierce questionable. Has anyone seen any comments from the Ravens about who else they might use if neither play? They have Shaun Draughn listed 4th on their depth chart but I'm not very familiar with him as a returner.

Also, Deonte Thompson is doubtful and Bernard Pierce questionable. Has anyone seen any comments from the Ravens about who else they might use if neither play? They have Shaun Draughn listed 4th on their depth chart but I'm not very familiar with him as a returner.
Pierce is playing.

Has there been a quote out of Rex Ryan about what happened with not putting a returner back there? When they did it the second time I assumed it was intentional, if puzzling.

I thought the speculation was that they picked that guy up to replace jones on returns, but that's from vague memory of something I read.

Wide receiver Tandon Doss was re-signed earlier this week to provide depth on punt returns while Draughn will focus on kickoff duties.
courtesy link

Any discussion of Kerwynn Williams, recently promoted from practice squad? He was on original return yard projections..
I think it's David Reed's job again as soon as he's healthy, unless Williams really stakes a claim to it. Haven't found any updates on Reed besides his practice status so far. If I have to guess he misses another week and Williams gets the bulk of the chances, though I wouldn't be surprised to hear Reed starts practicing. I've got them splitting it while it's uncertain.

Any discussion of Kerwynn Williams, recently promoted from practice squad? He was on original return yard projections..
I think it's David Reed's job again as soon as he's healthy, unless Williams really stakes a claim to it. Haven't found any updates on Reed besides his practice status so far. If I have to guess he misses another week and Williams gets the bulk of the chances, though I wouldn't be surprised to hear Reed starts practicing. I've got them splitting it while it's uncertain.
Reed had limited participation Wednesday but practiced fully on Thursday.

which two would you rather have out of:

Reed

J Ross GB

C Thompson WAS

.1pt/return yard and 7.5 pts/return TD. No other stats count for KR.

Thank you!

which two would you rather have out of:

Reed

J Ross GB

C Thompson WAS

.1pt/return yard and 7.5 pts/return TD. No other stats count for KR.

Thank you!
Thompson ahead of the other two. Ross and Reed about even. And both have some risk, Ross of losing returns to Cobb, Reed of being eased back in after the concussion. But Ross also gets some punts.

Macdaddy_2004 said:
It looks like Cobb will be used on KR/PR going forward..............
Could see Hyde and Franklin some...especially with the bye week to get them more practice time in those spots.

Week 4 article with projections submitted so should be showing up in the morning sometime.

Greg Little took over kickoff returns in Cleveland which if it continues will kill a lot of Travis Benjamin's value for leagues with a return-only slot.

LaMichael James is practicing, not sure if he'll play this week but he's probably close.

Dwayne Harris says he expects to play. The only thing that was holding him back as the top projected individual returner was the uncertainty on if he'd play. The Cowboys play San Diego, who have only had touchbacks on 6% of their kickoffs. The Steelers are at 27%, everyone else is over 40%.

Week 5 article with projections submitted, should be showing up tonight or in the morning. A few highlights:

Kick returner Fozzy Whittaker was cut by the Chargers. Woodhead took over for him.

LaMichael James took kickoff returns back when he returned.

Jacoby Jones is nearing return.

I heard back on inclusion of the returner projections in MyFBG and the like, and it sounds like there have been enough issues that it is going to be shelved for next season. Sorry guys, I want to have them in there as much as you do.

Guys that get pts for Return yards - it looks like Danny Woodhead may be a monster going forward - not sure how good the KR game is in SD but Woodhead looks like a solid candidate for 5 rushes 4-5 receptions and some KR yardage a week

Guys that get pts for Return yards - it looks like Danny Woodhead may be a monster going forward - not sure how good the KR game is in SD but Woodhead looks like a solid candidate for 5 rushes 4-5 receptions and some KR yardage a week
I just looked it up and it appears the SD has 1 KR on the year - are you serious?

I just looked it up and it appears the SD has 1 KR on the year - are you serious?
Woodhead had 1 return this week. Fozzy Whittaker had 6 returns for the Chargers in the preceding 3 games.

So 7 total for the team.

Users who are viewing this thread