What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2014 MLB Regular Season-All over but the shouting (2 Viewers)

Justin masterson costing himself mega bucks
Playing the Athletics at home is comparable to playing the Rockies on the road. They are hitting out of their minds this year.
It hasn't gotten a ton of press, but this is what's behind some of the A's recent jump in offense: http://regressing.deadspin.com/a-decade-after-moneyball-have-the-as-found-a-new-mark-1489963694
Interesting read, thanks for the link.
The difference between Oakland (42.2% FB%) and second-place Toronto (37.5%) is as big as the gap between Toronto and Miami in 22nd place (32.8%).
i have to read through more closely, but it is interesting because, if i understand correctly, in the long run the expected run value from flyballs is greater than that from groundballs.

Chasing saves sucks balls, this year more than ever. Someone here mentioned they have a Saves+Holds category. Does Yahoo allow this?

Playing the Athletics at home is comparable to playing the Rockies on the road. They are hitting out of their minds this year.
It hasn't gotten a ton of press, but this is what's behind some of the A's recent jump in offense: http://regressing.deadspin.com/a-decade-after-moneyball-have-the-as-found-a-new-mark-1489963694
The difference between Oakland (42.2% FB%) and second-place Toronto (37.5%) is as big as the gap between Toronto and Miami in 22nd place (32.8%).
i have to read through more closely, but it is interesting because, if i understand correctly, in the long run the expected run value from flyballs is greater than that from groundballs.
It sounded like fly balls have greater value currently because the league as a whole has shifted to groundball pitching; and the way to beat groundball pitchers is with flyball hitters (the split that The Book talks about). Pretty interesting stuff.

Makes sense why they've struggled against Detroit in the playoffs, though (with Verlander and Scherzer being flyball pitchers and all). So many front line, ace-type starters are power/fly ball pitchers that it would seem to put Oakland at a distinct postseason disadvantage. Of course the playoffs can be a crap shoot and in small sample size anything can happen.

Fly said:
It sounded like fly balls have greater value currently because the league as a whole has shifted to groundball pitching; and the way to beat groundball pitchers is with flyball hitters (the split that The Book talks about). Pretty interesting stuff.

Makes sense why they've struggled against Detroit in the playoffs, though (with Verlander and Scherzer being flyball pitchers and all). So many front line, ace-type starters are power/fly ball pitchers that it would seem to put Oakland at a distinct postseason disadvantage. Of course the playoffs can be a crap shoot and in small sample size anything can happen.
That and Scherzer/Verlander are both very, very good.

Chasing saves sucks balls, this year more than ever. Someone here mentioned they have a Saves+Holds category. Does Yahoo allow this?
No

you're bad a the internet.
I just went and started creating a fake league and I had the option to do saves and holds. Really going to push for this. One week I have 5 current closers and naturally couldn't pick up another one. Next week I only have 2 guys still closing.

Last edited by a moderator:
No

you're bad a the internet.
I just went and started creating a fake league and I had the option to do saves and holds. Really going to push for this. One week I have 5 current closers and naturally couldn't pick up another one. Next week I only have 2 guys still closing.
you can combine them into one category?

So when Drew and that slob Morales end their summer vacation, do they then head to the minors for a few weeks? A month? They didn't even have spring training...how much value can they really have for a team.

I've been holding onto these losers for 6 weeks now and it's just a huge waste of space.

Brandon Phillips gets a bad wrap in fantasy circles, but he's a good baseball player. Every time I watch a Reds game he makes some ridiculous play at 2B.

Brandon Phillips gets a bad wrap in fantasy circles, but he's a good baseball player. Every time I watch a Reds game he makes some ridiculous play at 2B.
Would like his 700 ops the last several seasons a lot better if he wasn't being used as a middle of the order bat. He also has a lot of hidden outs in there, always leading the league in GIDP and running into outs. No doubt he saves a bunch too though w/ his glove. He's also a 160 game guy for the most part which has some value considering what most teams are calling a bench these days.

The biggest reason he gets a bad rap though is he's a league average offensive player making a lot of money to hit in heart of the order. The Reds defense is really good so I think sometimes his glove doesn't stand out as much as it would on other teams.

Cliff Lee, come on down!!! You're the next contestant on the tommy john wheeeeel of fortune!

Rotoworld: Cliff Lee undergoes MRI on pitching elbow - Cliff Lee | PHI dlvr.it/5kNhfm

:mellow:

From Phils beat writer:

Hes battled some elbow tenderness for about three weeks, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said before Tuesday nights game against the Marlins. Hes been able to pitch through it. He felt a little more uncomfortable in his last couple of innings Sunday. He saw Dr. [Michael] Ciccotti and Dr. Ciccotti felt it was alarming enough to do an MRI. Were awaiting the results.

Lees fastball velocity has been down in recent starts. Amaro said the pitcher had recently been treated with anti-inflammatory medicine.

Amaro said Lee was feeling discomfort on the inner aspect of his elbow, the area of the flexor-pronator tendon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cliff Lee, come on down!!! You're the next contestant on the tommy john wheeeeel of fortune!

Rotoworld: Cliff Lee undergoes MRI on pitching elbow - Cliff Lee | PHI dlvr.it/5kNhfm

From Phils beat writer:

Hes battled some elbow tenderness for about three weeks, general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said before Tuesday nights game against the Marlins. Hes been able to pitch through it. He felt a little more uncomfortable in his last couple of innings Sunday. He saw Dr. [Michael] Ciccotti and Dr. Ciccotti felt it was alarming enough to do an MRI. Were awaiting the results.

Lees fastball velocity has been down in recent starts. Amaro said the pitcher had recently been treated with anti-inflammatory medicine.

Amaro said Lee was feeling discomfort on the inner aspect of his elbow, the area of the flexor-pronator tendon.
Wonder if that's a career ended at his age

Michael Morse cut off a throw from the pitcher to first on an attempted sac bunt. You'll need to see the highlight to appreciate the stupidity

From Phils beat writer:

wait a minute, a veteran Phillies' player is injured?

i am kind of surprised that wolf had not gotten more play as a reliever until now. can always use a crafty lefty.

unless he really didn't want to do it.

Is Pomeranz adding one more to his pitch count every game he pitches or something, stretch it out already Drew, I want 7 scoreless, not 5!

Harold Reynolds is getting into the Joe Buck/Tim McCarver/Hawk Harrelson annoying range this year. He's got a ways to go to get to the Yankees radio chick, but he's closing the gap.

Harold Reynolds is getting into the Joe Buck/Tim McCarver/Hawk Harrelson annoying range this year. He's got a ways to go to get to the Yankees radio chick, but he's closing the gap.
I like him because he doesn't have schtick. His personality seems authentic, even when he drops over-the-top hyperbole.

He's probably going to be on a lot more, as Mitch Williams has taken a timeout for going all Roy Turner at his son's Little League game.

I used to really like him, but he's really been over the top this year and part of last year. I think it all started with that show he did with Brian Kenny.

Long Ball Larry said:
Northern Voice said:
Curious to see how Trevor Bauer does tonight. There are easier teams to start against...
Still early, but I have to give him credit. Maybe he has actually figured something out.
He mixed things up real well last night. Like most rookies, expect the ride to be bumpy as teams adjust to him, so if you're team is not in a position to roll the dice it'd probably be best to look elsewhere. I had a shot at him in one league last week, but passed because my pitching stats are just average right now thanks in large part to Peavy (finally dropped him) and I have done a terrible job choosing when to start and when to bench Burnett.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Doctor Detroit said:
I like him because he doesn't have schtick. His personality seems authentic, even when he drops over-the-top hyperbole.

He's probably going to be on a lot more, as Mitch Williams has taken a timeout for going all Roy Turner at his son's Little League game.
I don't know, the Rangers no error call seemed like shtick to me.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Doctor Detroit said:

WORST RULING HE HAD EVER SEEN

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Doctor Detroit said:

WORST RULING HE HAD EVER SEEN
Over the top reaction but MLB agreed with him on the hit part.

Scherzer somehow holds on long enough to be in position for a W despite spraying gasoline all over Progressive Field in the first three innings, then Nathan comes in and gives up a two-run shot to Murphy in the ninth to blow the save.

:lol:

Anyone happen to know what the percentage is (this year and historically) for a run scoring in an inning in which the leadoff man reached 1st?

Users who are viewing this thread