What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I found the old thread from 2006 in an archive. These were the rules posted:

Rules for the Pool:

All participants pick the outcome of every game in the group rounds (6 per group and 8 groups) and will receive 1 point for each correct pick. Picks will be made by the 1 X 2 format, which means home team winner (1), Draw (X) or away team winner (2). Maximum points for this round are 48 points.

You then pick the teams to advance to the Round of 16, stage two of the tournament. Each correct team picked receives 2 points. In order to advance to the round of 16 teams have to finish 1st or 2nd in the group stage. 16 teams will play in this round, so the maximum amount of points awarded is 32.

8 teams will advance from this round, and for the quarter final round you will receive an additional 2 points per correct team picked. Maximum amount of points are 16.

For the Semi finals you have 4 teams, and each correct semi finalist receives 3 points for a total of 12 points.

For the final game, 5 points for each correct team will be awarded, with an additional 10 points for the correct winner of the World Cup.

Besides the team points, you will also receive an additional 10 points for the Top Scorer in the competition. I will use the names from Pinnacle Sports to decide which players to include. You could also pick "the field" if your player is not included.

The max amount of points possible in the Pool is 138. In case of a tie between two participants (although unlikely) we will use number of goals scored in the tournament (Group and knock out rounds) to decide a winner. The closest to the total will win the tie breaker.

Payout and fee:

I was thinking $???? for each participant, with 3 places paid if we get more than 20 participants, using 50%, 30%, 20%, or a winner takes all if less than 20 people joining in. In order to receive a payout, the $???? must be paid in full before June 1st, via any way possible.
ETA: removed old payment info that isn't relevant anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice run QG.

Do you know when the official final pots will be announced or do we have to wait for the draw itself?
Thank NR :)

I'm hearing that the final pots and draw procedure will be announced 12/3, following a meeting. I couldn't find that directly from FIFA but a couple different searches seemed to generate that date.

What I find intriguing is that there will be a new set of FIFA rankings on 11/28. And France will move out of last place amongst the Euro teams. I may be totally :tinfoilhat: on this one and leading a lonely parade but i strongly suspect they'll go to a 9-team Euro pot because of this. Just a hunch.

-QG

I found the old thread from 2006 in an archive. These were the rules posted:

Rules for the Pool:

All participants pick the outcome of every game in the group rounds (6 per group and 8 groups) and will receive 1 point for each correct pick. Picks will be made by the 1 X 2 format, which means home team winner (1), Draw (X) or away team winner (2). Maximum points for this round are 48 points.

You then pick the teams to advance to the Round of 16, stage two of the tournament. Each correct team picked receives 2 points. In order to advance to the round of 16 teams have to finish 1st or 2nd in the group stage. 16 teams will play in this round, so the maximum amount of points awarded is 32.

8 teams will advance from this round, and for the quarter final round you will receive an additional 2 points per correct team picked. Maximum amount of points are 16.

For the Semi finals you have 4 teams, and each correct semi finalist receives 3 points for a total of 12 points.

For the final game, 5 points for each correct team will be awarded, with an additional 10 points for the correct winner of the World Cup.

Besides the team points, you will also receive an additional 10 points for the Top Scorer in the competition. I will use the names from Pinnacle Sports to decide which players to include. You could also pick "the field" if your player is not included.

The max amount of points possible in the Pool is 138. In case of a tie between two participants (although unlikely) we will use number of goals scored in the tournament (Group and knock out rounds) to decide a winner. The closest to the total will win the tie breaker.

Payout and fee:

I was thinking $???? for each participant, with 3 places paid if we get more than 20 participants, using 50%, 30%, 20%, or a winner takes all if less than 20 people joining in. In order to receive a payout, the $???? must be paid in full before June 1st, via any way possible.
ETA: removed old payment info that isn't relevant anymore.
I am in for this.

How do you determine who the home team is? Is it just the team FIFA lists first?

I am in for this.

How do you determine who the home team is? Is it just the team FIFA lists first?
The home team is designated by FIFA for each matchup. For tournaments like these, basically that means that the home team gets to use their home kit and nothing else.

I feel like all the planets have aligned* for the highest soccer ratings ever coming in this tournament. The ratings have been growing at a nice clip every WC since 2002 and this one is poised to take another big leap.

The US continues to have the largest TV rights for the WC of any country in the world. The 2018/2002 rights were sold for $1 billion dollars to Fox and Telemundo.

Reasons

1) US and Mexico are both qualified. Obviously these two will be the biggest draws in the group stage. Both teams are coming off of record ratings for the qualifiers this cycle, which should give a good indication that the non casual fan base is growing for both teams. Obviously if one or both can get into the knock out stage, even better.

2) Pretty much every big name country and player qualified (with the exception of Bale and The Zlatan), which will make for more high profile (ratings wise) match ups all tournament long. There will be a ton of games that involve one of US, Mexico, France, Italy, England, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Holland, Portugal and Brazil, amongst others.

3) Time slots for games: Assuming FIFA does not change them (ie get bribed enough from European TV interests), these will be the best time slots the US will see for a long time.

With these 3 items in place, I think we will see the peak of soccer tv ratings next summer at least until WC2026 as the next two WC's present time zone problems.

*This is all said hoping that Brazil gets things to run smooth. Less stadiums collapsing would be a good start :(

I believe the game times are already scheduled to bw during the day in this hemisphere.

-QG
If I did the time zone math correctly (Brazil is two hours ahead of Eastern US), the majority of the group stage matches will be at 11AM, 2PM, and 5PM Eastern time. Couple other random start times mixed in there. Knockout matches look to generally be 11AM and 3PM Eastern. Final will be at 2PM Eastern. Someone feel free to correct my math.

So they're definitely catering to Europe with the start times.

I believe the game times are already scheduled to bw during the day in this hemisphere.

-QG
If I did the time zone math correctly (Brazil is two hours ahead of Eastern US), the majority of the group stage matches will be at 11AM, 2PM, and 5PM Eastern time. Couple other random start times mixed in there. Knockout matches look to generally be 11AM and 3PM Eastern. Final will be at 2PM Eastern. Someone feel free to correct my math.

So they're definitely catering to Europe with the start times.
I think you are close. Maybe just off one hour due to day light savings?

Tobias posted this earlier about the expected start times

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/11/22/tv-times-for-fifa-world-cup-2014-for-soccer-fans-in-the-united-states/

QG and others will like this article. The paragraph on having a friendly and then trying to make it unofficial (as Spain recently did) to not affect the rankings is scary. They need to plug that hole quickly if they continue to want to use the rankings for seedings.

World Cup seeding: How to play the game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584

QG and others will like this article. The paragraph on having a friendly and then trying to make it unofficial (as Spain recently did) to not affect the rankings is scary. They need to plug that hole quickly if they continue to want to use the rankings for seedings.

World Cup seeding: How to play the game

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584
I love the last line of the article. You just need the best player in the world and the hand of God to win it all outside of the top seed. Portugal down?

Reminder:

The all important WC draw is coming this Friday.

It will be shown live on ESPN2 and Univision. It starts at 11:30am.

I am going to go ahead and say it now - before the draw - I will be disappointed if the US does not make it to the knockout stage.

I realize that this will be a difficult task, no matter the draw, and its possible that the US will be the underdog in at least two matches. I also understand that they can play well, and still not advance.

Having said that, I am rooting for them to win, so if they do not make it - it will be disappointing. They are also at that stage in their evolution where they should be able to compete with any team in the tournament. This is not to say they can go toe-to-toe against the top seeds, but they should have enough talent and tactical wherewithal to go into each game with the right strategy to come out with a result - even if that means parking the bus on occasion.

I don't think they are necessarily taking a step backwards if they fail to get out of the group stage. And I don't think they should make advancing a prerequisite to re-signing Klinsmann for the next cycle. I like where the team, and US soccer, in general, are headed regardless of results. So long as the team is competitive in its matches, I'd like to see Klinsmann stay on.

France is now ahead of Bosnia and Russia in the November FIFA rankings.

Just watch. 9-team Euro pot is a-comin'

-QG

FIFA.com ‏@FIFAcom 16m
For the #WorldCup #FinalDraw, one side from Pot 4 will be drawn as a Pot 2 side

#WorldCup #FinalDraw Pot 4: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, England, France, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia

#WorldCup #FinalDraw Pot 3: Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran, Japan, Korea Republic, Mexico, USA

#WorldCup #FinalDraw Pot 2: Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Côte d’Ivoire, Ecuador, Ghana, Nigeria

#WorldCup #FinalDraw Pot 1: Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Uruguay

:bowtie:

-QG

So you have new improved Group of Death Possibilities like

Brazil, Netherlands, Italy, USA :scared:

-QG
Christ :) .

But the reverse is true as well, we also have some new and improved easier groups possibilities (Colombia, Bosnia, US, Greece)

Will the team from pot 4 be drawn into pot 2 as the very first step of the draw?

Can you translate this for the uninformed? Each group will have one team from each pot, except for one group, which will have two teams from pot 4 and no teams from pot 2? Is it completely random which teams get drawn from each pot?

-QG

But the reverse is true as well, we also have some new and improved easier groups possibilities (Colombia, Bosnia, US, Greece)

Will the team from pot 4 be drawn into pot 2 as the very first step of the draw?
This was asked at the press conference (which is still ongoing). FIFA guy's answer was confusing as hell so I'm still not sure.

-QG

Can you translate this for the uninformed? Each group will have one team from each pot, except for one group, which will have two teams from pot 4 and no teams from pot 2? Is it completely random which teams get drawn from each pot?
Pot 4 has 9 teams - all 9 Euros. 8 will be drawn into each of the groups. The 9th will (effectively) be drawn with the Pot 2 teams but will not be able to go into a group with 2 Euros. (They may draw that leftover team first - it wasn't clear at this moment and I've seen no printed summary).

Basically for your purposes imagine that where the simulators had France that it now can be ANY of the 9 Euro unseeded teams.

-QG

Sounds like it is not clear but my guess is that one of the 9 from pot 4 will be moved into pot 2 as the first step and then just proceed as normal from there. That sounds like the easiest path which means Fifa likely has something more convoluted up its sleeve.

As expected the US will play South Korea on Feb 1 at the StubHub. Here are the January camp plans

==========

Klinsmann will begin his third January camp on Jan. 6; as usual, the camp will be held at the national team’s training site at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.

Players and staff travel into Brazil on Jan. 12 for almost two weeks of training at the team’s Sao Paulo base, the U.S. training site for World Cup 2014. Obviously, Klinsmann is using the time (Jan. 12-25) as a dry run and a chance to get as many players and staff as possible familiar and comfortable with the surroundings.

The team travels back to California on Jan. 26 for a few more days of training ahead of the Korea encounter.

-QG

This was asked at the press conference (which is still ongoing). FIFA guy's answer was confusing as hell so I'm still not sure.

-QG
If Pot 2 gets drawn before Pot 4, then they have to do that. As QuizGuy points out, this opens up a Brazilian (really any COMNEBOL Pot1 team) group of death since they can now get 2 highly ranked Euro sides.

From Wikipedia. I love that they have a Pot X :)

1. One European team will firstly be randomly drawn from Pot 4 and placed into Pot 2 in order to create four even pots of eight teams;

2. The draw will then proceed with the drawing the other seven top-seeded teams into Group B–H; Brazil have been predetermined to be in Group A;

3. To maintain geographic separation, a separate "Pot X" will be created during the draw procedure into which the four seeded South American teams (from Pot 1) will be placed;

4. The European team previously drawn from Pot 4 will then be placed into the group of the first team drawn from "Pot X".

The purpose of the Pot X is that normally you would just have the extra team go into the first available South American Group. But since Brazil is the host, this means the extra Euro team would automatically go to Pot A. By introducing Pot X they randomize equally which seeded South American team the Euro team can go with. Since it's FIFA it seems shady but this actually is the fair way to do it.

-QG

From Wikipedia. I love that they have a Pot X :)

1. One European team will firstly be randomly drawn from Pot 4 and placed into Pot 2 in order to create four even pots of eight teams;

2. The draw will then proceed with the drawing the other seven top-seeded teams into Group B–H; Brazil have been predetermined to be in Group A;

3. To maintain geographic separation, a separate "Pot X" will be created during the draw procedure into which the four seeded South American teams (from Pot 1) will be placed;

4. The European team previously drawn from Pot 4 will then be placed into the group of the first team drawn from "Pot X".

The purpose of the Pot X is that normally you would just have the extra team go into the first available South American Group. But since Brazil is the host, this means the extra Euro team would automatically go to Pot A. By introducing Pot X they randomize equally which seeded South American team the Euro team can go with. Since it's FIFA it seems shady but this actually is the fair way to do it.

-QG
As convoluted as it sounds I also agree that this makes the most sense given the regional constraints they use for groupings.

I like that it is step 1 to get the 9th team into pot 2. Makes for easier quick speculation of whether it is good or bad for US before draw starts.

This definitely adds a lot more potential group combinations btw. So I'm all for it :)

-QG
Yeah, it should add a bunch more possible "easier" groups since one of the highly rated Euro sides could get put in Pot 2. The "easiest" group should be something like Swiss/Algeria/US/Russia.

Based on the wikipedia description I think it plays out this way.

They draw the seeds from Pot 1 first. All of these teams will get position 1.

They draw one ball from Pot 4, then they draw from Pot X and place the drawn team into that group. They will draw the position from that group.

They draw the remainder of Pot 2. When African teams are drawn they will put them into the other 3 South American Groups first until there are no more South American sides to be drawn. When either of the two South American teams are drawn they will put them in European groups. The rest of Pot 2 will just go in order after that. They will draw the position for these groups as they go.

They draw Pot 3. They will draw for position in the group as they go.

They draw Pot 4. This will have heightened drama, especially has concerns who lands with the Euro team that gets the seed that was drawn from Pot X. They will draw for position within these groups as they go.

-QG

This definitely adds a lot more potential group combinations btw. So I'm all for it :)

-QG
Yeah, it should add a bunch more possible "easier" groups since one of the highly rated Euro sides could get put in Pot 2. The "easiest" group should be something like Swiss/Algeria/US/Russia.
Hmm, I had originally thought having one of the lower ranked Euro teams in pot 2 would be better. I guess I can see both possibilities.

It's random, except that no group can have more than two European teams, and no more than one team from any other continent.

This means that the two South American teams in Pot 2 will have to be drawn with one of the European teams in Pot 1, and the group with two pot 4 European teams will have to have a South American team from pot 1.

-QG
That group was already possible if France were just dumped into Pot 2 automatically.

Thoughts on winners/losers with this arrangement in most cases depends on where you feel France really ranks in that group of 9 Euros.

Right now I'd think:

France is better than the Croatians, Greeks, and probably the Russians.

France is worse than Netherlands, Italy, and Portugal

France is roughly equal to England and probably Bosnia.

Winners:

France. Biggest winner. They escape a guaranteed South American draw and are now eligible for opponents like Switzerland, Belgium, Ecuador, and Algeria. As I mentioned earlier there was no way they were going to do this to Platini's country. If Iceland had won it's playoff we wouldn't have had the 9-team Euro Pot.

Non-seeded South American sides. No, they weren't going to get drawn into a South American seed group but now there's less of a chance that they'll get drawn into a group with two European powerhouses. This factor probably helped sell them on a 9-team Euro pot.

Switzerland. Already getting the fortune of being a seed, there was of course the possibility they'd get drawn with Italy the Netherlands or Portugal and basically get knocked down a peg. With France liberated from an automatic spot in Pot 2, there's a better chance that Switzerland will luck out since they can't play the Pot 2 team from Europe.

Belgium, Spain, and Germany. See Switzerland. But it's really big for Switzerland.

African sides. Instead of automatically dodging France there's a chance they'll automatically dodge a team like the Netherlands. And yeah it totally feels like getting drawn into Pot 2 is something that would happen to the Netherlands. Yeah there are still brutal combos out there like Brazil/Netherlands as there was originally but again the odds of these went down a little.

Losers:

Netherlands, Italy, and Portugal. Not only do they have to possibly deal with a top seed, they may have to deal with each other. Big time losers here.

The other Euro non-seeds not named France. They can end up in that French spot playing a South American team and a side like Netherlands if they get drawn into pot 2. Or they can end up with effectively the same result staying in Pot 4.

Seeded South American teams. The possibility of drawing Italy and France was daunting enough. But that the door has been opened to it being Italy and the Netherlands is even more worrisome. Yeah they could draw a weak Euro I suppose but given the strong odds of getting two Euros in the group this has to be considered a loss.

Probably a wash:

Concacaf and Asian teams. It does open the way for a few more possibly weaker draws, but not really IMO. Basically everyone can dream of draws like Switzerland/Croatia/Algeria or Switzerland/Croatia/Ecuador but those were possible before. Now there's a chance that Megadeth will be the music played during the group stage. But I guess if there's a harder group of death to be drawn into there's also a harder group of death to miss out on. So I'll leave it as a wash. None of the teams in the other pots would trade places with the US. That's for sure.

-QG

-QG
That group was already possible if France were just dumped into Pot 2 automatically.

Thoughts on winners/losers with this arrangement in most cases depends on where you feel France really ranks in that group of 9 Euros.

Right now I'd think:

France is better than the Croatians, Greeks, and probably the Russians.

France is worse than Netherlands, Italy, and Portugal

France is roughly equal to England and probably Bosnia.

Winners:

France. Biggest winner. They escape a guaranteed South American draw and are now eligible for opponents like Switzerland, Belgium, Ecuador, and Algeria. As I mentioned earlier there was no way they were going to do this to Platini's country. If Iceland had won it's playoff we wouldn't have had the 9-team Euro Pot.

Non-seeded South American sides. No, they weren't going to get drawn into a South American seed group but now there's less of a chance that they'll get drawn into a group with two European powerhouses. This factor probably helped sell them on a 9-team Euro pot.

Switzerland. Already getting the fortune of being a seed, there was of course the possibility they'd get drawn with Italy the Netherlands or Portugal and basically get knocked down a peg. With France liberated from an automatic spot in Pot 2, there's a better chance that Switzerland will luck out since they can't play the Pot 2 team from Europe.

Belgium, Spain, and Germany. See Switzerland. But it's really big for Switzerland.

African sides. Instead of automatically dodging France there's a chance they'll automatically dodge a team like the Netherlands. And yeah it totally feels like getting drawn into Pot 2 is something that would happen to the Netherlands. Yeah there are still brutal combos out there like Brazil/Netherlands as there was originally but again the odds of these went down a little.

Losers:

Netherlands, Italy, and Portugal. Not only do they have to possibly deal with a top seed, they may have to deal with each other. Big time losers here.

The other Euro non-seeds not named France. They can end up in that French spot playing a South American team and a side like Netherlands if they get drawn into pot 2. Or they can end up with effectively the same result staying in Pot 4.

Seeded South American teams. The possibility of drawing Italy and France was daunting enough. But that the door has been opened to it being Italy and the Netherlands is even more worrisome. Yeah they could draw a weak Euro I suppose but given the strong odds of getting two Euros in the group this has to be considered a loss.

Probably a wash:

Concacaf and Asian teams. It does open the way for a few more possibly weaker draws, but not really IMO. Basically everyone can dream of draws like Switzerland/Croatia/Algeria or Switzerland/Croatia/Ecuador but those were possible before. Now there's a chance that Megadeth will be the music played during the group stage. But I guess if there's a harder group of death to be drawn into there's also a harder group of death to miss out on. So I'll leave it as a wash. None of the teams in the other pots would trade places with the US. That's for sure.

-QG
Pretty good synopsis. I do think it's more of a benefit to the US than you though. Yeah a lot of the easy groups were possible before, but you've now added that you have a 7 of 8 chance of avoiding two Euro non-seeded heavyweights and increased the odds that the SA/2 Euro pot isn't a total group of death. Basically the toughness of a potential GOD went up but the chances you end up in one went down slightly. Yeah all the previous possibilities are still in play, but you've also introduced a bunch more easier draws with that SA/Euro/Euro combo than just slotting France into Pot 2.

I think France is better than both England and Bosnia, which tilts your analysis in favor of the US a bit QG. At least I think so...

FIFA just makes this #### up as they go along, right?
:yes:

France ending up in that 9th-ranked position ensured that it would go down this way.

If it was a weaker side or less traditional or politically connected power (Iceland this year, Serbia/Montenegro in the past) they woulda just dumped that team in there I'm sure.

There's a reason they announce the procedure only 3 days before the draw :)

-QG

Detail from FIFA via ESPN:

1.In order to create an even flow to the draw as Pots 1-4 are emptied, we begin by drawing one ball from Pot 4 (containing a European team) and placing it into Pot 2 to achieve an equal balance of eight teams in each pot
2.Pot 1 will then be emptied beginning with Brazil; teams will be allocated to position 1 of Groups A through H sequentially
3.With the addition of the European team to Pot 2, Pot 2 will contain teams from three different qualification zones. With teams from three zones in the same pot, we increase the risk of inadvertently violating the principle of geographic separation. In order to ensure we do not mistakenly end up with three European teams in the same Group, the following mechanism will be implemented:
- The four seeded South American teams will be placed in an ancillary pot – Pot X
- One of the four teams will be drawn
- The Group of the South American which is drawn will determine the Group which the European team from Pot 2 will join Final Draw Procedures
4.Pot 2 will then be emptied, beginning with the European ball:
- The European team will join Group of South American team drawn from Pot X
- The remaining teams will be allocated to Groups A through H sequentially
(Note: Groups may be skipped to respect principle of geographic separation; e.g. Chile and Ecuador may not be drawn into Groups with seeded South American teams)

5.Pots 3 and 4 will then be emptied in order
6.The positions within Groups A through H will be drawn for all teams of Pots 2, 3 and 4.

-QG

2.Pot 1 will then be emptied beginning with Brazil; teams will be allocated to position 1 of Groups A through H sequentially
does this mean that Brazil is the only team not hidden in the draw process?
Not sure what you mean by hidden...I thought the host nation has always been the Pot 1 rep in Group A, after that, it was a random draw (or at least as random as any FIFA draw can be).

does this mean that Brazil is the only team not hidden in the draw process?
Not sure what you mean by hidden...I thought the host nation has always been the Pot 1 rep in Group A, after that, it was a random draw (or at least as random as any FIFA draw can be).
by hidden I meant their names inside the balls with no one being able to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread