What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Almost 22 million viewers for the US - Belgium game.

Espn just has to be killing themselves over losing the rights to these games the next two cycles.

Also really shortsighted for fifa to bid these out before this year's Cup. These rating have to be crushing expectations.
who has it next?
Fox :cry:
:goodposting:

Odds of some sort of gay Neon Blue "laser ball tracker" with Soccer Robots dancing across the screen pulling the scoreboard: 2-1

That or the giant robot stomping down onto the ground to lead off the telecast.

[cut to fox football music]

[hi welcome to the World Cup. Alongside Troy Aikman, I'm Gus Johnson. Today Russia tries to DOMINATE Chile..... Blah blah blah]

Luckily fifa controls the visual broadcast so they can't #### that up.

Espn just has to be killing themselves over losing the rights to these games the next two cycles.

Also really shortsighted for fifa to bid these out before this year's Cup. These rating have to be crushing expectations.
who has it next?
Based on past Gus pronunciations, expect Ha-mez Rodriguez to go back to just plain "Jimmy."

How is soccer profitable for the networks?

I understand the rating are improving but is the only revenue they can pull from the halftime commercials? I don't know a lot about the business but what am I missing?

I understand the rating are improving but is the only revenue they can pull from the halftime commercials? I don't know a lot about the business but what am I missing?
I've wondered the same thing. Also, I watch none of the halftime commercials since that's my main chance to get up, hit the restroom, and grab a snack -- no way am I unique in that regard.

Fox Soccer's coverage of the Champions League hasn't been too terrible. The two big issues have been Gus Johnson and game selection. They seem to prefer blowouts featuring English teams or Barca to actual good matchups. That won't be an issue in the World Cup, but Gus still will be.

Pre-game, post-game and placements around the pitch. Every major stadium has those electronic rotating commercials on the walls.

Pre-game, post-game and placements around the pitch. Every major stadium has those electronic rotating commercials on the walls.
I was originally going to take a Delta flight to San Antonio later this year since most of my miles are with them, but I'm thinking I'll go with Emirates instead. ;)

I was originally going to take a Delta flight to San Antonio later this year since most of my miles are with them, but I'm thinking I'll go with Emirates instead. ;)
I actually like the McDonald's commercial where the guys form a wall at the bus stop.

And another 5mil plus on streaming apps.

They also have sponsors who pay for their logo to be next to the clock in the top left. They used to announce "This segment of the game brought to you commercial free by _____". I saw the McDonalds logo displayed during the games.

I like the Premier League grounds that have rotating signboards that post updated odds during the games.

Remember that for cable networks, their main revenue source does not come from commercials per say. It comes from charging cable and satellite companies money to carry their channel.

The more popular items you have, the more you can charge.

With sports being one of the last footholds for live TV, the content providers are charging a pretty heft fee for their sports channels and/or they are forcing the carriers to carry their smaller channels as a package deal.

This is why every major content provider player has started up their own sports network to compete with ESPN. And these networks need programming and anything that can draw ratings during the off prime time hours is a gold mine.

What the EPL does on an Saturday morning for NBCSN is really amazing. When the next EPL contract goes up for bid later this year/early next year, ESPN/FOX and NBC are all going to be tripping over each other trying to secure the rights.

Even MLS secured a deal with Fox/ESPN of a size no one really expected as it took advantage of this possible bubble we have in this unique time in our viewing habits.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm gonna spend the next week or so deliberately pronouncing people's names wildly different than they should be pronounced, in honor of James.
I have been screaming "humess!!!!" at my daughter any time she does something good :) She has no idea what I am saying.
Go ahead and register NewlyPlacedInRetirementHome.
she already told me she was going to get a cat to take care of me when I get old.

Yeah, thanks honey :)

who has it next?
Based on past Gus pronunciations, expect Ha-mez Rodriguez to go back to just plain "Jimmy."
Gus better develop some new shtick then, his only filler material is to state what country the player plays for.

"Mascherano, the Argentinian with it. Forward to Messi, the Argentine. He plays it out wide to Di Maria, the Argentinian. Crosses it in and Aguero heads over the bar! Just inches away for the Argentina international!"

Gus is bad, but Wynalda is even worse as a color guy. It's just brutal. And I don't mind Wynalda in the studio. He's arrogant and sometimes wrong, but so is every sports media personality ever. But the guy is just atrocious at live games, as evidenced by his apparent belief that Aaron Ramsey was English.

Why the hatred for Fox over ESPN? :confused:
For soccer?

Many still burn about their moronic treatment of the UEFA Champions League Final a few years back, which hopefully they have learned from (ESPN made some mistakes themselves).

Now, it is basically Gus that is the main issue, but a lot of people hate Wynalda on color as well.

Supposedly Fox sent people to Brazil to observe everything ESPN does. They are not stupid enough to ignore the massive ratings ESPN has gotten so hopefully they will try and follow a similar formula for Russia.

We should get our first indication next year of how they will treat the sport as the new MLS contract starts up in spring of 2015 and they will also be broadcasting the 2015 Women's World Cup.

Remember that for cable networks, their main revenue source does not come from commercials per say. It comes from charging cable and satellite companies money to carry their channel.

With sports being one of the last footholds for live TV, the content providers are charging a pretty heft fee for their sports channels and/or they are forcing the carriers to carry their smaller channels as a package deal.

This is why every major content provider player has started up their own sports network to compete with ESPN. And these networks need programming and anything that can draw ratings during the off prime time hours is a gold mine.

What the EPL does on an Saturday morning for NBCSN is really amazing. When the next EPL contract goes up for bid later this year/early next year, ESPN/FOX and NBC are all going to be tripping over each other trying to secure the rights.

Even MLS secured a deal with Fox/ESPN of a size no one really expected as it took advantage of this possible bubble we have in this unique time in our viewing habits.
NR - Im still not entirely sure I get this. Its seems like everyone (mercifully) is leaving money on the table by minimizing adversiting during programming. Heres how it works:

The Content provider (MLS, EPL) ----> gets paid by the Networks (ESPN, FOX) ----> who gets paid by the Cable Company (Comcast, Dish) ----> who gets paid for the subscriber (me, you)

As soccer becomes more popular, content providers charge much more money to the networks to carry their games. They can increase by hundreds of millions of dollars per cycle. However, the increases in carriage fees paid by Cable companies to the Networks never increase by the same amount. Barring ESPN (who make more than the next 20 networks combined), very few networks are able to charge more than a $1 per household. It gets even more tenuous when cable companies try to pass on the costs to the subscribers. Cable companies suffer from the worst customer experiece metrics of any major industry in the US and will be hard pressed to keep raising prices to make up the difference. Especially now that the web is an alternative viewing screen.

The only way to break this cycle of passing on the costs is for someone in the value chain to identify on another revenue stream to offset the rising costs. Thats why advertising is so important for networks - it helps fill the gap of created by astronomical content acquistion $$ without having to pass on all of the costs downstream. But if the networks dont earn enough money from advertising, during soccer games, they will be limited in how much they can eventually afford to pay for the content.

Heres my concern: Right now we are in a period of soccer euphoria where Networks, Cable companies and Content providers (EPL, MLS, FIFA) are falling over themselves due to the new windfall being created by this sudden infatuation with the sport across 100M US households. My fear is in that price pressure in the value chain due to rising content costs will eventually cause the industry to "commercialize" the game :X :X . The same way we did with the NFL and NBA. I dont believe that FIFA and UEFA fully understand how much more money they can make in the US by lengthening the game and creating artifical pauses for advertisers. Its part of our culture here, why wouldnt they tag along for the ride? I really dont want to see mandatory water breaks, injury timeouts, etc. where advertisements are shown. But I can see it happening.

So yes, moving billboards are a nice, cute revenue stream for the industry, but I dont believe it will be enough to sustain the current model.

Thoughts?

NR - Im still not entirely sure I get this. Its seems like everyone (mercifully) is leaving money on the table by minimizing adversiting during programming. Heres how it works:

The Content provider (MLS, EPL) ----> gets paid by the Networks (ESPN, FOX) ----> who gets paid by the Cable Company (Comcast, Dish) ----> who gets paid for the subscriber (me, you)

As soccer becomes more popular, content providers charge much more money to the networks to carry their games. They can increase by hundreds of millions of dollars per cycle. However, the increases in carriage fees paid by Cable companies to the Networks never increase by the same amount. Barring ESPN (who make more than the next 20 networks combined), very few networks are able to charge more than a $1 per household. It gets even more tenuous when cable companies try to pass on the costs to the subscribers. Cable companies suffer from the worst customer experiece metrics of any major industry in the US and will be hard pressed to keep raising prices to make up the difference. Especially now that the web is an alternative viewing screen.

The only way to break this cycle of passing on the costs is for someone in the value chain to identify on another revenue stream to offset the rising costs. Thats why advertising is so important for networks - it helps fill the gap of created by astronomical content acquistion $$ without having to pass on all of the costs downstream. But if the networks dont earn enough money from advertising, during soccer games, they will be limited in how much they can eventually afford to pay for the content.

Heres my concern: Right now we are in a period of soccer euphoria where Networks, Cable companies and Content providers (EPL, MLS, FIFA) are falling over themselves due to the new windfall being created by this sudden infatuation with the sport across 100M US households. My fear is in that price pressure in the value chain due to rising content costs will eventually cause the industry to "commercialize" the game :X :X . The same way we did with the NFL and NBA. I dont believe that FIFA and UEFA fully understand how much more money they can make in the US by lengthening the game and creating artifical pauses for advertisers. Its part of our culture here, why wouldnt they tag along for the ride? I really dont want to see mandatory water breaks, injury timeouts, etc. where advertisements are shown. But I can see it happening.

So yes, moving billboards are a nice, cute revenue stream for the industry, but I dont believe it will be enough to sustain the current model.

Thoughts?
it is a valid thought.

I can tell you for sure the sponsors LOVED the water break. Getting the chance to stick a real commercial in during the middle of a half must have been like gold.

The most obvious change would be to create a 1 minute "break" in every half of soccer to enhance the commercials.

We all know FIFA loves their money but they have held off all of these years adding commercial breaks to the game, I am unsure if this will be any different.

Also as a side note, while the networks are hungry for soccer, they are hungry for everything. Fox Sports 1 and 2, NBCSN, ESPN and ESPN2 have a ton of hours to fill. Almost all sports are getting deals that no one predicted.

It was not that long ago that Fox signed the enormous deal with the UFC to be their anchor for Fox Sports 1

NBC signed an excellent deal with the NHL to make them their anchor for NBCSN

Soccer is popular because it draws ok ratings in times where ratings are very hard to come by and even if the contract numbers look huge to us, they are still much smaller than trying to secure say a major college football conference contract.

Thoughts?
it is a valid thought.

I can tell you for sure the sponsors LOVED the water break. Getting the chance to stick a real commercial in during the middle of a half must have been like gold.

The most obvious change would be to create a 1 minute "break" in every half of soccer to enhance the commercials.

We all know FIFA loves their money but they have held off all of these years adding commercial breaks to the game, I am unsure if this will be any different.

Also as a side note, while the networks are hungry for soccer, they are hungry for everything. Fox Sports 1 and 2, NBCSN, ESPN and ESPN2 have a ton of hours to fill. Almost all sports are getting deals that no one predicted.

It was not that long ago that Fox signed the enormous deal with the UFC to be their anchor for Fox Sports 1

Soccer is popular because it draws ok ratings in times where ratings are very hard to come by and even if the contract numbers look huge to us, they are still much smaller than trying to secure say a major college football conference contract.
Im actually all for the little advertisements next to the score boards and the popups on the screen every now and again. It doesnt bother me as long as I can still listen to the announcers and see the field of play. But I HATE when they cut to commercials.

[hi welcome to the World Cup. Alongside Troy Aikman, I'm Gus Johnson. Today Russia tries to DOMINATE Chile..... Blah blah blah]

Strahan's done the pregame for the last couple Champions League finals they've had on the Fox mothership. Actually true.

Thoughts?
it is a valid thought.

Im actually all for the little advertisements next to the score boards, popping up on the screen every now and again, etc. It doesnt bother me as long as I can still listen to the announcers and see the fielf of play. But I HATE when they cut to commercials.
When TNT broadcast the WC in 1990, they cut away from live play to show commercials. They missed some goals doing that. It was beyond awful.

Thoughts?
it is a valid thought.

Im actually all for the little advertisements next to the score boards, popping up on the screen every now and again, etc. It doesnt bother me as long as I can still listen to the announcers and see the fielf of play. But I HATE when they cut to commercials.
When TNT broadcast the WC in 1990, they cut away from live play to show commercials. They missed some goals doing that. It was beyond awful.
:doh:

Strahan's done the pregame for the last couple Champions League finals they've had on the Fox mothership. Actually true.
Unbelievable.

Unbelievable.
For some reason I thought it was only once. In any case the one time I saw it, it was beyond embarrassing. He knew less than 0 about the sport.

@KurtLarSUN: Bodog offering 9/4 odds that 2022 World Cup will be held in the United States. #WorldCup2014 http://t.co/fhlGlZyILk
Why would they move it from Qatar? Haven't they already started building infrastructure?
A. The bribery and corruption involved in bringing it to Qatar was pretty bad even by FIFA's insanely low standards.

B. It was a bad idea to put the World Cup somewhere where it's 120 degrees in the first place.

C. Working conditions in Qatar are kind of awful. If they can stop construction now, it might save a few hundred lives.

@KurtLarSUN: Bodog offering 9/4 odds that 2022 World Cup will be held in the United States. #WorldCup2014 http://t.co/fhlGlZyILk
Why would they move it from Qatar? Haven't they already started building infrastructure?
Three main reasons1) there are strong allegations that the voting process that choose Qatar was corrupted

2) the extreme weather in Qatar is likely to cause the need for WC to move to the winter which is going to cause problems with many leagues and some broadcasters

3) the repeated reports of deaths and slave like conditions when building the infrastructure in Qatar are causing issues with sponsors who don't want to be associated with that type of mess

The main one is number 1 above. There has been a long investigation of which the report is due in July. One of the English newspapers supposedly had access to the evidence and said it was over whelming.

None of this may matter in the end though because it is Fifa we are dealing with here.

Three main reasons1) there are strong allegations that the voting process that choose Qatar was corrupted

2) the extreme weather in Qatar is likely to cause the need for WC to move to the winter which is going to cause problems with many leagues and some broadcasters

3) the repeated reports of deaths and slave like conditions when building the infrastructure in Qatar are causing issues with sponsors who don't want to be associated with that type of mess

The main one is number 1 above. There has been a long investigation of which the report is due in July. One of the English newspapers supposedly had access to the evidence and said it was over whelming.

None of this may matter in the end though because it is Fifa we are dealing with here.
4. Drinking alcohol in public is illegal in Qatar

The longer they wait to move it IMO means the US is in the best position to get it when they do. Very few countries can handle an event this size at a moments notice like the US can.

Don't see it. European dominated sport - no way they succumb to moderate TV audience wishes for the US market.

Don't see it. European dominated sport - no way they succumb to moderate TV audience wishes for the US market.
I agree with you but moderate is the wrong word imo.

The US TV rights for the world cup are the most lucrative in the entire world

True but television rights for the big leagues are in the hands of a relatively small and incestuous group of broadcasters. If Sky (BSkyB and Deutschland), Canal+, ESPN, Fox, etc. collectively decide they want commercial breaks, it's time to go fix a snack.

True but television rights for the big leagues are in the hands of a relatively small and incestuous group of broadcasters. If Sky (BSkyB and Deutschland), Canal+, ESPN, Fox, etc. collectively decide they want commercial breaks, it's time to go fix a snack.
Or possibly a cocktail? I'm . . . intrigued.

Or possibly a cocktail? I'm . . . intrigued.
I dread the day the game changes to include commercial breaks, 4 quarters, 3 periods, time outs or water breaks. Kickoff, commercial, goal kick, commercial, throw in, commercial, injury, commercial, goal, commercial and on and on.

I love that a game is over in 2 hours. I love the running clock, I love that I can tell the wife when a game will end so she knows when I will be available for anything (this keeps her happy and off my back and why soccer is ok and the NFL isnt lol).

Users who are viewing this thread