What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Playing Torrey in a couple weeks :pickle:
Ton of fun. Great course, beautiful views. Stay out of the rough though. Even when it isn't playing long, it's some of the thickest rough I've ever played. Hit your drive in the rough and a par will feel like a birdie.
Considering I've been a complete disaster off the tee lately, this should be a piece of cake.

I'll start warming up my "play it forward" speech so I can hit more irons on par 4s.
Not a bad idea. It really is a course that kills errant drives. If you're even a little wayward off the tee that day, don't expect to shoot your handicap, especially as it's no picnic on the greens either.

You playing any others course in San Diego? I loved Aviara, maybe even more than Torrey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ton of fun. Great course, beautiful views. Stay out of the rough though. Even when it isn't playing long, it's some of the thickest rough I've ever played. Hit your drive in the rough and a par will feel like a birdie.
Considering I've been a complete disaster off the tee lately, this should be a piece of cake.

I'll start warming up my "play it forward" speech so I can hit more irons on par 4s.
Not a bad idea. It really is a course that kills errant drives. If you're even a little wayward off the tee that day, don't expect to shoot your handicap, especially as it's no picnic on the greens either.

You playing any others course in San Diego? I loved Aviara, maybe even more than Torrey.
I think we are playing one or two in palm springs. One of my buddy's has family in Dana Point or something or we are coming out from AZ.

About 15 years ago, I went to San Diego to visit a friend. I was out there the week before the tournament at Torrey, so we couldn't play there. Instead, we went to a course in a mountainous type area. There were boulders everywhere. Huge boulders. I can't remember the course name, but it was very nice. One thing I remember about the course was after one hole, we got in our cart and went down the cart path. The path turns into a wooden bridge that is built into the side of a cliff face. We winded around the cliff and down below was our next hole. It was both gorgeous and frightening at the same time.

I've been trying to find the name of that course for years.

So, this past winter I was going to buy some new golf shoes. My whole life, I've owned pairs of Foot Joys that look like white and tan saddle shoes. From spikes to soft spikes.

Right before I decided to go look for some new ones, my parents bought me a pair of spikeless shoes. Well, I've used them twice and I hate them. They are useless. My feet are always slipping on every shot I take. And I'm not even a hard swinger. :softball: So I'm back on the market for a nice pair of golf shoes. I don't feel like paying $200 for shoes, but if I find a pair of nice ones for a little over a hundo, I'd get them.

Any recommendations from fellow golfers on here as to what they have or what they like?

TIA

TIS

so after my disaster first round of the season where I barely hit the ball correctly most of the time, i decided to go to the range yesterday and just practice irons and get my swing "back".

it took about 30 balls. I did the one drill i explained earlier where you put your feet together, grab a wedge and try to hit it about 80-90% of normal distance. First few went about 60%, then pop, pop, pop ok I got the compression back. Now lets try some fuller swings. Then a couple swings later I realized oh yeah, i don't need to take a full swing to hit full distance, so that shortened my backswing and i was getting full distance, lots of pop and lots of height on the ball. This is what I expect when I make contact. But then i realized my balls are drifting right or starting a little right, let see if I can fix that now (stop SLIDING, start TURNING) so I focused on that and voila, ball is going straight, long and high. Hey, I got my swing back!

In a nutshell, in order for me to hit my shots correctly I had to remember to keep my swing compact and don't slide. Now i need to go play again and see what happens.

So, this past winter I was going to buy some new golf shoes. My whole life, I've owned pairs of Foot Joys that look like white and tan saddle shoes. From spikes to soft spikes.

Right before I decided to go look for some new ones, my parents bought me a pair of spikeless shoes. Well, I've used them twice and I hate them. They are useless. My feet are always slipping on every shot I take. And I'm not even a hard swinger. :softball: So I'm back on the market for a nice pair of golf shoes. I don't feel like paying $200 for shoes, but if I find a pair of nice ones for a little over a hundo, I'd get them.

Any recommendations from fellow golfers on here as to what they have or what they like?

TIA

TIS
my wife bought me these and I absolutely love them, best golf shoe I've ever worn:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10923082121188696053?q=adidas+golf+shoe&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=775&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.92291466,d.cGU&tch=1&ech=1ψ=aC9KVanNJcb2oAT7hIHoBg.1430925161657.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX_OzXbFDF-FgK41y6cxFz0X1AtAtUQXKktTCEHNI5ypeon9bxDAHjTFsN388vCzwxNbB2tgYrNoT0pfXtOv82DHuTrcl-S0YP19ByVmNFPjpOht0thIZAFPVH70wnhWTWp2dKRaZJ8tfVsQEBDJ7sw&ei=dC9KVYOLM8LqoASn2IG4CQ&ved=0CIoEEKYrMBU

TIA

TIS
http://www.zappos.com/asics-golf-shoes

These are the awesome.

YW

TIA

TIS
my wife bought me these and I absolutely love them, best golf shoe I've ever worn:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/10923082121188696053?q=adidas+golf+shoe&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=775&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.92291466,d.cGU&tch=1&ech=1ψ=aC9KVanNJcb2oAT7hIHoBg.1430925161657.5&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX_OzXbFDF-FgK41y6cxFz0X1AtAtUQXKktTCEHNI5ypeon9bxDAHjTFsN388vCzwxNbB2tgYrNoT0pfXtOv82DHuTrcl-S0YP19ByVmNFPjpOht0thIZAFPVH70wnhWTWp2dKRaZJ8tfVsQEBDJ7sw&ei=dC9KVYOLM8LqoASn2IG4CQ&ved=0CIoEEKYrMBU
I won't buy another pair of non-spiked shoes.

TIA

TIS
http://www.zappos.com/asics-golf-shoes

These are the awesome.

YW
I didn't even know they made golf shoes.

TIA

TIS

I like the look of those. :blackdot:

I ended up getting these last month.

TIA

TIS
DryJoys

Also, New Balance are making golf shoes now. I have PUD and am thinking about grabbing a pair.

TIA

TIS
DryJoys

Also, New Balance are making golf shoes now. I have PUD and am thinking about grabbing a pair.
:confused:

TIA

TIS

I like the look of those. :blackdot:

I ended up getting these last month.
I know a lot of people swear by the spikeless shoes, but I can't stand them. I get no traction at all in them.

TIA

TIS
DryJoys

Personal Use Discount.

Normally for people who work at a golf course. You get a special deal from your sales rep. Usually 50% off of wholesale.

TIA

TIS
DryJoys

Personal Use Discount.

Normally for people who work at a golf course. You get a special deal from your sales rep. Usually 50% off of wholesale.
Nice.

Heading down to play the Links at Lighthouse Sound on Saturday in Ocean City MD. My group has gone before and raves about the course, anyone have any experience there?

Adizero are my new personal favorites.

Many of the spikeless are not water resistant. I play at 7:00 am - I need water proof shoes :)

Heading down to play the Links at Lighthouse Sound on Saturday in Ocean City MD. My group has gone before and raves about the course, anyone have any experience there?
What tees are you playing? I will tell you every shot you should play on every hole. :)

Many of the spikeless are not water resistant. I play at 7:00 am - I need water proof shoes :)
I did not know this. I play around then too. Didn't notice them getting wet.
That was the knock on the Eccos - they were expensive but not water resistant. I hate and love we play that early but the grass is usually wet.

I should have said "many of the older spikeless" -- I think most of the newer models all now have some water resistance - you just need to check

What tees are you playing? I will tell you every shot you should play on every hole. :)
I play to a 16 right now, so judging by the scorecard either the blues or golds but my driver has been giving me issues lately..

I did not know this. I play around then too. Didn't notice them getting wet.
That was the knock on the Eccos - they were expensive but not water resistant. I hate and love we play that early but the grass is usually wet.

I should have said "many of the older spikeless" -- I think most of the newer models all now have some water resistance - you just need to check
I love the early tee times. Sure, it sucks getting up early on a weekend, but very rarely run into other golfers and I'm back home before noon.

I play to a 16 right now, so judging by the scorecard either the blues or golds but my driver has been giving me issues lately..
Good - they have recommendations at the course for your handicap. One time a group I was with tried to play whites and I literally almost quit :lol: They finally settled in on blues. I usually play gold but anyway this is from the blues.

It will probably be a bit breezy.

hole 1 will play down wind usually and is technically reachable. However everyone hits driver and either blast it into the giant bunker or pulls it a little left and ends up on the hills or in the range. Smart play is it a 200 yard safe shot then hit a wedge in

Hole 2 - tee shot, there is more room to the left then you think - is reachable par 5 but need to hit really good shots

I could go on :P

Seriously - it's one of my favorite courses there along with Bayside,

The greens are usually fast and true. Tough great course.

If the winds are "normal" that day Hole 6 is a par 3 will be into the wind. It's usually one extra club without wind. It's all carry with no room to miss

:)

eta: it has been about 3 years since I was there last

BellJr - i am heading down to OCMD Memorial Day Weekend and hoping to get a round in Friday morning with my friends. Most of us are all beginners and will be looking for a relatively easy, clean round...We were looking at Deer Run, thoughts?

BellJr - i am heading down to OCMD Memorial Day Weekend and hoping to get a round in Friday morning with my friends. Most of us are all beginners and will be looking for a relatively easy, clean round...We were looking at Deer Run, thoughts?
That's one of the few courses I've never played.

A course that is pretty decent for beginners was Glenn Riddle and River Run also

Good - they have recommendations at the course for your handicap. One time a group I was with tried to play whites and I literally almost quit :lol: They finally settled in on blues. I usually play gold but anyway this is from the blues.

hole 1 will play down wind usually and is technically reachable. However everyone hits driver and either blast it into the giant bunker or pulls it a little left and ends up on the hills or in the range. Smart play is it a 200 yard safe shot then hit a wedge in

Hole 2 - tee shot, there is more room to the left then you think - is reachable par 5 but need to hit really good shots

If the winds are "normal" that day Hole 6 is a par 3 will be into the wind. It's usually one extra club without wind. It's all carry with no room to miss

What kind of overall yardages are we talking about for these tees? Gold - Blue - White

What kind of overall yardages are we talking about for these tees? Gold - Blue - White
the scorecard on their website has it listed gold- 6556 blue- 6041 white- 5548

Yeah - that sounds pretty skimpy.

Yeah - that sounds pretty skimpy.
Black is 7000. It's always windy. Gold I believe is slotted for 6-10 HCPS. 6041 will still be a challenge.

Lots of trouble

Broke 90 for the first time in my life yesterday with an 89.

Been having trouble with my driver so I teed off with my 3-hybrid except for one of the par-5s when I hit driver. I play from the whites (~6000yds) so I can get away with hitting the hybrid from the tee even on the par-5s. I was hitting the hybrid 200-220 but more importantly, I was hitting it straight or at least not too far left or right. I've been taking lessons and things finally started to click yesterday.

It's a par 71 course and I played bogey golf exactly on both front and back, 44/45. Only one 3-putt when I was 70 feet from the hole and didn't get my first putt close enough for a reasonable shot on the second one.

I lost two balls and had a couple of terrible chip shots so my round could have been better, assuming of course that all of the really good shots I hit were the same.

One birdie and 5 pars. Hit the fairway 7/14 and 3/4 on the par-3s. 35 total putts with the one 3-putt and two 1-putts.

Was hoping to get out again this weekend but the weather forecast calls for a ton of rain so I guess I get to hold onto my good memories for a while.

Nice Zen.

I am hacking it up bad this year. Another 85. Just no rhythm anymore. Hit the ball great on the range lol

Played 3 holes today at Furnas on Sao Miguel island in the Azores.

Will upload a few pics when I get back to states later in May. Nothing fancy but the black sand bunkers were way cool and worth seeing. :thumbup:

After a 92 and back-to-back 95's the last 3 weekends, I finally played a decent round of golf yesterday. Shot 80 with a triple on the 2nd hole (317 yards easiest hole on the front side, but tee shot in major trouble) and a double on #10 from 114 yards out in the middle of the fairway.

Keeping the ball in play off the tee makes things so much easier!!!

Broke 90 for the first time in my life yesterday with an 89.

Been having trouble with my driver so I teed off with my 3-hybrid except for one of the par-5s when I hit driver. I play from the whites (~6000yds) so I can get away with hitting the hybrid from the tee even on the par-5s. I was hitting the hybrid 200-220 but more importantly, I was hitting it straight or at least not too far left or right. I've been taking lessons and things finally started to click yesterday.

It's a par 71 course and I played bogey golf exactly on both front and back, 44/45. Only one 3-putt when I was 70 feet from the hole and didn't get my first putt close enough for a reasonable shot on the second one.

I lost two balls and had a couple of terrible chip shots so my round could have been better, assuming of course that all of the really good shots I hit were the same.

One birdie and 5 pars. Hit the fairway 7/14 and 3/4 on the par-3s. 35 total putts with the one 3-putt and two 1-putts.

Was hoping to get out again this weekend but the weather forecast calls for a ton of rain so I guess I get to hold onto my good memories for a while.
nice work. congrats on breaking 90!

Played this weekend on a new course and even though I hit the ball well, I shot a 102. Greens were pretty tough and there were no pictures of the holes so a lot of shots I hit looked good but turned out to be bad. Could probably shave at least 10 strokes off if I played again.

But the highlight of my day was I hit a drive on a hole and it hit the 150 marker in the middle of the fairway. Next shot, I hit the pin. Tapped in for a birdie. Man, I wish I was that accurate on every hole. :lol:

Well turning my left foot out has completely changed my swing. I haven't cleared so well since high school. Absolutely striping it now. Added bonus is I can now hit a cut which had been entirely missing for years.

I really liked that Links at Lighthouse Sound course in OCMD. We got done in a little under 4 hours and it was beautiful out with a nice bay breeze. I played the front 9 well with a 43, but fell apart on the back 9 for a 50. My driver is a still a mess, I didn't even bring it out I just used a 5 wood or 6 iron depending on the hole length. All in all it was a solid track, thanks again for the tips Belljr. I was the only one in my group to stick the green on the par 3 5th because I took an extra club as you suggested.

Checking out the board in the clubhouse posting scores from the last tourney. Dude with an 18 handicap shoots 83-84 in a two day event gets to post a -13. Seems near impossible to me. My best round ever is only 3 under my handicap. Shooting 6 and 7 under on consecutive days seems impossible to me. Am I wrong?

Checking out the board in the clubhouse posting scores from the last tourney. Dude with an 18 handicap shoots 83-84 in a two day event gets to post a -13. Seems near impossible to me. My best round ever is only 3 under my handicap. Shooting 6 and 7 under on consecutive days seems impossible to me. Am I wrong?
speaking as a 17.5: i wouldn't call it impossible, but not very probable either.

83 is my best round lifetime, and i've shot it twice in the last three years. i doubt i could go 83/84 on back-to-back rounds, especially in tournament conditions.

maybe he took a lesson before the event and everything clicked? maybe he just caught fire for two days? not sure i'd start in with "sandbagger," though those scores should likely raise more than a few eyebrows from fellow competitors.

I can't putt. FN USGA for taking away the belly putter. I've tried half dozen different putters and can't seem to find one I can get comfortable/confident with. Shot 78 on Saturday with 3 3putts and a gunch of missed birdie tries.

http://www.popeofslope.com/magazine/howtodetect.html

Not impossible but not very probable.
Based on the information from your link (5% chance of shooting 3 under your handicap), that puts a full standard deviation as about 1.83 strokes away from your mean score.

This makes the probability of shooting 6 under = about 0.05% (once in 2000 rounds)

This makes the probability of shooting 7 under = about 0.006% (once in 16,666 rounds)

The probability of doing this in consecutive rounds = about 0.000000034 (once in about 30 million rounds)

These calculations assume a normal distribution.

Yeah, I would call BS on that. I didn't play in that tourney, but I'll keep an eye out for that name in the 3-day tourney I'm playing over Memorial Day weekend.

EDIT: Just realized that I used the handicap score (+0) as the mean. The mean should have been +3. This makes it even more improbable. Holy F.

easily possible in 4 scenarios:

a) his normal course is much tougher than the one you played on

b) he has recently decided to get a lot better at golf and has been playing/practicing like crazy. he may be posting 80's, 82's and 84's but the handicap system hasn't caught up to his recent scoring surge

c) he got lucky

d) he lied about his handicap.

i was an 18 once, and decide I don't want to be an 18 anymore. I played/practiced like crazy got lessons, spent a lot of time chipping and putting and finally started to shoot some good scores, then I won a net tourney by posting an 80 with an 18 handicap. It wasn't a fluke though, the course was way easier than my home course and we played in light rain which didnt bother me since I'm fromm oregon and softened the greens up and made the course even easier. People called me a sandbagger but it was legit.

now i get screwed whenever i play with my handicap because it works in reverse. I usually have to give strokes and in net tourneys I rarely have a chance to win unless i shoot a career round. it evens out.

easily possible in 4 scenarios:

a) his normal course is much tougher than the one you played on

b) he has recently decided to get a lot better at golf and has been playing/practicing like crazy. he may be posting 80's, 82's and 84's but the handicap system hasn't caught up to his recent scoring surge
Well the handicap system should account for these two unless he shot those 80's and 82's in the week before the revisions came out. If his course is tougher, his higher scores would reflect that and give him a similar index as if he shot better scores on an easier course. Or...maybe that's an older handicap and he's gotten better, but doesn't post all his scores. The only place I've seen the enforcement of handicapping taken seriously is the private clubs. Everything else is a crap shoot.

I think it also depends on how much golf the person plays regularly. I am wildly inconsistent until I get in a regular groove of playing a couple times a week in the summer. I posted earlier that I shot 80 Sunday after posting rounds in the mid 90's 3 rounds in a row. I haven't kept an official handicap in a long time, but if I did and it was based mainly off my late fall-early spring rounds at this time of year, I would think that I could beat it by several strokes on back-to-back days in a tournament if it was something I had been working/practicing for and everything fell just right.

I'll bet money that guy doesn't post anything that will move him down
I would think that posting the tournament scores wasn't optional. In fact, wouldn't it make sense for a club to post them automatically. Further, shouldn't tournament scores count heavily in calculating your handicap?

Users who are viewing this thread