What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (4 Viewers)

update?????
Have played a half-dozen rounds, a bit less than one per week.

Love it. My fiancé is encouraging me to go MORE because I'm so in an awesome mood all weekend after 18 on Friday morning. Well see how long that stance lasts! 

I love my pitching wedge. I new use a driver, but often get a good straight tee shot with my 3-wood. My biggest struggle is par 3 holes over a ravine or the like. I lose a ball like half the time on a bad hit.

I went out with a couple friends on a whim last month, never played before in my life.

I am totally hooked even though I suck, just picked up a used set of Calloways X20s off craigslist for $75.   

Have played a half-dozen rounds, a bit less than one per week.

Love it. My fiancé is encouraging me to go MORE because I'm so in an awesome mood all weekend after 18 on Friday morning. Well see how long that stance lasts! 

I love my pitching wedge. I new use a driver, but often get a good straight tee shot with my 3-wood. My biggest struggle is par 3 holes over a ravine or the like. I lose a ball like half the time on a bad hit.
See I get the 

Why do you bother playing if you're going to come home miserable all the time

;)

See I get the 

Why do you bother playing if you're going to come home miserable all the time

;)
I'm sure one day I'll decide I'm good and need to be making things. But I'm in the "wow it's so beautiful and I'm hanging out with a friend and holy crap I hit that one so well I might get a par!" stage. Expecting bad and being excited for good is a huge mindset benefit.

I'm sure one day I'll decide I'm good and need to be making things. But I'm in the "wow it's so beautiful and I'm hanging out with a friend and holy crap I hit that one so well I might get a par!" stage. Expecting bad and being excited for good is a huge mindset benefit.
That was in jest I used to let it bother me but even bad days I still have fun yeah I'm miserable for a little bit but it doesn't really affect me when I leave

Anyone here what the snit is between Jason Dufner and Brandel Chamblee on twitter?  Dufner just posted this below - and then showed Chamblee's twitter account had blocked him. 

Jason Dufner‏Verified account @JasonDufner 33m33 minutes ago

Best part of my day.. when people aren’t educated in what they are saying, they run and hide from the truth. It’s to keep what they have going and not be exposed for being a fraud.

Did a search and didn't find anything ...but this gem from back in 2013 from Steve Elkington -  :lmao:

Steve Elkington‏Verified account @elkpga

FollowFollow @elkpga

If Tiger Woods sued Brandel Chamblee for his comments what we he hope to get? Some hair spray & short snap hook ....

Right now for the Bandon trip we have 8 confirmed golfers and it might get to 12 before all is said and done..  I have played some really nice course and just go to have a good time but looking the Bandon courses online I am really excited.

Played Arcadia Bluffs in Frankfort MI last fall.   By the hole.

Went when the rates dropped it and was spectacular. Highly recommend for anyone who gets to Michigan.  My friend just retired and bought a new RV.  Arcadia is about 3 1/2 hours from SE Michigan.  The guy had one of his friends drive us so he could get loaded.  Teed off at 11am and played 27 holes.  Grabbed a bite to eat and drank all the way home in his RV.  Arrived home around 11pm exhausted and pretty blasted but it was a great day.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using Wilson Staff Duo golf balls for about a year now.  Like the squishy soft feel around the greens. 

I've had two of them crack in the last month. One day was fairly cold (about 35 degrees). The other day was in the mid 40s. Thought it might be temperature related. I swing pretty darn hard. Combine this with getting a great turn away from the ball and firing my hips first creates a lot of torque. No sweat getting it out to 300 yards in favorable conditions. Maybe this is supposed to happen often if you hit it hard enough?

Anyone else experience something similar?

PS Look at me! I can crush it (literally) off the tee!

Well ...shoulder surgery for a frozen shoulder (had it on both shoulders now) is in the books.  I gotta start working out a bit and stretch - ready to give it a go again, after 5+ years of little to no golf.  Not anxious to get out there in cold weather so I'm going to wait until I get some workouts in and hit some warmer weather (above mid-50s).  

1) getting some speed stix and mph meter

2) getting my swing speed up and then stabilized

3) likely then getting fit for new clubs (have Ping Eye 2s by choice, got them about 10 years ago new from the factory).  Been looking at the M2s or the Callaway Epics.  The new M4 driver is pretty enticing too.

Binky The Doormat said:
The new M4 driver is pretty enticing too.
The twisted face concept is interesting. Makes complete sense for misses on the toe or the heel. Wondering how it works in reality. For a better player that hits the ball with a square face on plane more often I can see it correcting those specific mis-hits. For a weaker player I could see it just exacerbating them. 

Heart of the off-season here in MN, but playing these courses in February...anyone have other ones to suggest? Classic Club looks awesome too...

Vegas- Wolf Creek (my fave), Paiute

PalmSprings- Firecliff, IW Celebrity, TPC West Stadium 

This guy is a legit golf instructor - decent twitter follow:

Trackman Maestro‏ @TrackmanMaestro 4h4 hours ago

Trackman Maestro Retweeted Swing

Try oxycontin the next time you play. Get things turned around.

Swing @Taylor_Swingle

Replying to @TrackmanMaestro

Why do I slice it on hole one but 8 beers and 4 shooters later im smother hooking it?

Right now for the Bandon trip we have 8 confirmed golfers and it might get to 12 before all is said and done..  I have played some really nice course and just go to have a good time but looking the Bandon courses online I am really excited.

Played Arcadia Bluffs in Frankfort MI last fall.   By the hole.

Went when the rates dropped it and was spectacular. Highly recommend for anyone who gets to Michigan.  My friend just retired and bought a new RV.  Arcadia is about 3 1/2 hours from SE Michigan.  The guy had one of his friends drive us so he could get loaded.  Teed off at 11am and played 27 holes.  Grabbed a bite to eat and drank all the way home in his RV.  Arrived home around 11pm exhausted and pretty blasted but it was a great day.  
Bandon is just epic.  Closest thing to Scotland I've found.  I went with some Oregon locals who got an insane deal to play in the winter months.  Sure, we had to bundle up but it was beautiful.  We had rain, hail and then brilliant sunshine with a rainbow - on the same par 5.  Deer everywhere.  Walking is so much better than taking a cart.  The golf is great.  No need to go anywhere with the nice chalets and bar/restaurant.  We went into town for some action one night and trust me there was none.  Enjoy - it's really a great trip.

Considering some new woods. Currently have a 10.5 degree Calloway driver from about 4 or 5 years ago. Taylormade R5 3W. Nike 4 hybrid. All with different shafts. Feels like a I have a totally unique swing for each. Debating trying to buy a set of three so they all have similar shafts. Bought my first set of irons last year (Ping G). Love them. Confident they are the correct club for my game as I continue to improve. Spent last year wavering from 7 to 8 on my cap.

Looking at buying something used or older models. Budget will be around $600 for all three clubs. Maybe a 5W instead of the hybrid. 

Anyone got a set of woods they're in love with I should try?

Heading to the FL panhandle area in late February, anyone have recommendations from Tally west to Panama City?  Friends from AL are gonna meet half way from us here in Orlando, so anywhere in that area is open for consideration

Considering some new woods. Currently have a 10.5 degree Calloway driver from about 4 or 5 years ago. Taylormade R5 3W. Nike 4 hybrid. All with different shafts. Feels like a I have a totally unique swing for each. Debating trying to buy a set of three so they all have similar shafts. Bought my first set of irons last year (Ping G). Love them. Confident they are the correct club for my game as I continue to improve. Spent last year wavering from 7 to 8 on my cap.

Looking at buying something used or older models. Budget will be around $600 for all three clubs. Maybe a 5W instead of the hybrid. 

m4 driver, and keep your other clubs for now ...or pick a new hybrid or 3W for a couple hundred bucks.

Heading to the FL panhandle area in late February, anyone have recommendations from Tally west to Panama City?  Friends from AL are gonna meet half way from us here in Orlando, so anywhere in that area is open for consideration
I play in PCB every summer...Hombre is usually good but depends on shape it's in...Camp Creek near Seaside is great...Sharks Tooth also near there is really nice but expensive.  Santa Rosa CC is old FL golf...small plot of land thru neighborhoods...but i enjoy it and it's not easy.  Otherwise a lot more if you head west to Destin.

m4 driver
The twist-face thing makes sense for a better player. Off-center hits are going to resist the tendency to hook or fade more, but for the weaker player that's hitting the ball with a non-square face I can only image that that twist is going to exacerbate the miss. Likely not for me only because of the cost. Can't imagine sinking that much money into a golf club. 

The twist-face thing makes sense for a better player. Off-center hits are going to resist the tendency to hook or fade more, but for the weaker player that's hitting the ball with a non-square face I can only image that that twist is going to exacerbate the miss. Likely not for me only because of the cost. Can't imagine sinking that much money into a golf club. 
$425 for a driver is pretty standard for new drivers  

It's my understanding that this is also for mid-to-higher handicap golfers as well.  

Your driver is probably the most important single club in your bag (outside of your putter).  Grabbing another 10 or more yards and a few more fairways would be awesome.  

$425 for a driver is pretty standard for new drivers  

It's my understanding that this is also for mid-to-higher handicap golfers as well.  

Your driver is probably the most important single club in your bag (outside of your putter).  Grabbing another 10 or more yards and a few more fairways would be awesome.  
I don't have a problem with distance off the tee. I have a problem with consistency in the shafts on my woods. All three of my woods have completely different shafts.

Actually thinking about going cheap and getting something like a WIlson Staff set of woods or Cleveland. I don't know. I guess the hope is that someone convinces me that they spent less on a set of woods and feel great about their choice. Actually, I don't want to go cheap. I want to go used or something that's a year older. The only thing I'm sure of that the advertising for golf equipment is embarrassing. Every year each company comes out with the latest greatest. 

I don't have a problem with distance off the tee. I have a problem with consistency in the shafts on my woods. All three of my woods have completely different shafts.

Actually thinking about going cheap and getting something like a WIlson Staff set of woods or Cleveland. I don't know. I guess the hope is that someone convinces me that they spent less on a set of woods and feel great about their choice. Actually, I don't want to go cheap. I want to go used or something that's a year older. The only thing I'm sure of that the advertising for golf equipment is embarrassing. Every year each company comes out with the latest greatest. 
Willie's best wishes.

First round this year. Was unbelievably wet even by Washington in February standards. Drives in middle of fairway would plug, a few ponds in places where there weren't supposed to be. Had a couple high approaches into greens that plugged in the green :lol:

Was great though. Taking a break off helped the game. Can't wait to play again.

Get fitted for a shaft.  So much more important than the club you're hitting. 

Get fitted for your swing speed and spine angle.  Makes a huge difference.  I finally did and it reduced my spin rate immensely.  Now my errant balls don't miss the fairway a ton. 

Get fitted for your swing speed and spine angle.  Makes a huge difference.  I finally did and it reduced my spin rate immensely.  Now my errant balls don't miss the fairway a ton. 
I am not agreat golfer but plan on getting fitted as I have a cheap set of starters that my kid wants (good excuse to upgrade that my wife actually approves of). I don’t want to spend money without having someone help steer me in the right direction. Need to hit up the golf dome before I go to the fitting as I haven’t swung a club since late October. Hard to golf in Minny during the long cold winter. 

Can’t wait for spring!

I am not agreat golfer but plan on getting fitted as I have a cheap set of starters that my kid wants (good excuse to upgrade that my wife actually approves of). I don’t want to spend money without having someone help steer me in the right direction. Need to hit up the golf dome before I go to the fitting as I haven’t swung a club since late October. Hard to golf in Minny during the long cold winter. 

Can’t wait for spring!
I have old steel shaft ping i3 irons. Going to upgrade at some point maybe this year and definitely want to get fitted.

Q.

A player’s ball comes to rest in a situation dangerous to the player, e.g. near a live rattlesnake or a bees’ nest. In equity (Rule 1-4), does the player have any options in addition to playing the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceeding under Rule 26 or 28?

A.

Yes. It is unreasonable to expect the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair to require the player to incur a penalty under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable), although these Rules remain an option, if applicable.

If the ball lay through the green, the player may, without penalty, drop a ball within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

If the ball lay in a hazard, the player may drop a ball, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous. If possible, the ball must be dropped in the same hazard and, if not possible, in a similar nearby hazard, but in either case not nearer the hole. If it is not possible for the player to drop the ball in a hazard, he may drop it, under penalty of one stroke, outside the hazard, keeping the point where the original ball lay between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

If the ball lay on the putting green, the player may, without penalty, place a ball at the nearest spot not nearer the hole that is not dangerous and that is not in a hazard.

If interference by anything other than the dangerous situation makes the stroke clearly impracticable or if the situation would be dangerous only through the use of a clearly unreasonable stroke or an unnecessarily abnormal stance, swing, or direction of play, the player may not take relief as prescribed above, but he is not precluded from proceeding under Rule 26 or 28, if applicable. (Revised)

Not schtick

Is it in a marked hazard?

Were you able to play the ball from where it lies - minus the Gator
drop in a safe spot no closer to the hole.  One shot penalty since its in the hazard.  If it wasn't in the hazard ...no penalty.  

Actually had this happen as a local rule in our group when I was playing in the NCAA Div II championship at Houma CC (south of New Orleans). 

a bunch of guys at my club love the wilson staff driver...i think about a dozen of the regular guys have it....i bot the mizuno so i'm not taking it out of the bag.... :)

haven't been around the ffa much lately and totally forgot about this thread....

anyway, my game is improving....down to a 13 index....and broke 80 for the first time ever...78

the really cool part about that round was i made a 2 on the par 5 18th...3 wood from approx 240....i didn't get the distance cuz i knew i was way out...

holy #### ...never heard of them.  I know who John Jacobs is ...but never saw these.  Played First Flight Standards until I got the 845s around '93. 
They had a sweet spot the size of an acorn!  Still have them at my Mom's place back East, albeit rusted with worn, slippery grips.  My Dad and I got matching sets and played golf twice a week together that summer.  Great memories.

They had a sweet spot the size of an acorn!  Still have them at my Mom's place back East, albeit rusted with worn, slippery grips.  My Dad and I got matching sets and played golf twice a week together that summer.  Great memories.
my dad had macgregor MTs in the early-mid 60s.  The 2 iron head was slightly bigger than the golf ball itself and you would either shank it or it twist in your hands outside of perfect contact that had to be less the size of a dime.  Can't even find a picture of them. 

Is it poor form to get fitted but then not purchase clubs from the shop?  I’m in the market for new irons and woods, but don’t want to pay retail.  Is that simply the price of getting fitted? 

Is it poor form to get fitted but then not purchase clubs from the shop?  I’m in the market for new irons and woods, but don’t want to pay retail.  Is that simply the price of getting fitted? 
seems like a richard move to me...

Users who are viewing this thread