What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 49ers 2012 thread (1 Viewer)

I really, really, hate to do this but I'm going to side with drummer. I think Crabtree offers more upside at this point in their careers. And it's not because I think Crabtree is a future stud. I think Moss has a giant fork in his back. But at the contract they signed him to it's a worthy gamble and I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
If Moss signed with SEA 49er fans would go "BWAHAHAHA CARROLL IS AN IDIOT BWAHAHAHA MOSS IS SOOOOO DONE BWAHAHAHA!" Now I catch hell because I didn't go "ZOMG! MOSS!"

Sheesh.
So the only options for you are HEELLL YEEAAA or MEH? No wonder you were such a killjoy during this past amazing season. ;) I'm basing my opinion on the glowing reports that Moss received during his workout with NO/SF and also the fact that SF evaluated him and felt the urgency to sign him to a favorable contract before he could leave the field on the same day as his workout. I have faith in Baalke and Co. that they did their due diligence and that they know something that we all don't. Why would they (especially Harbaugh) welcome someone that they feel will become a cancer to the team into their organization with such high expectations (read: pressure) for the upcoming season?

But you would rather have Crab who disappeared in the NFC championship game over someone that is probably a first ballot HOF (pending how the rest of his career pans out) and who's got the resume to prove it... and who still seems to be in football shape? You can't blame Smith for that game b/c Davis went off that day, so you can't tell me that Smith couldn't deliver it...

Now, to be clear... I'm just talking about this upcoming season. Obviously, Moss is an old man so of course Crab is the guy to want for the future...

Are you saying you don't like this signing?

By the way... in the Manning thread someone posted a recent article about 2 more teams (outside of DEN/TEN/MIA) have entered into the discussions.... Makes ya wonder. :excited:
Now I'm getting hell being a Crabs believer over a guy who has disappeared in games, teams, and the NFL entirely?

Look, I asked if he was the best available FA WR. You said "negative". I also pointed out the QB situation in SF. If they get Peyton then the whole offense gets bumped big time because Peyton can read a defense, and those WR's will get the separation they didn't get with Smith.

Randy Moss' name was pretty big at the time when he went to OAK. What happened there? Then he was paired with Tom Brady. 2010 to now?

The only thing Moss has to prove different is that he doesn't quit. So you're asking me why I question that?
So you conveniently omit 2007-2009? Riiigght... And I'm not giving you hell for believing in Crab. You brought him up.
I think I brought up NE. I think. Yes you are giving me hell for Crabs. Try to keep up on your own trolling.
So if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're trolling? Got it.You want to talk about OAK... I'm pretty sure that his stint in NE came AFTER OAK, so what does that tell you about what you can expect in SF? Exactly.
I dunno, but I think after NE there was a couple of teams, then no team. I think you forget, that he wasn't in the NFL this past season.

I think.

BTW, this is your problem. Not mine. Next time you want me to "BOW DOWN THE THE 49ERS", try to do it with a better example.

I really, really, hate to do this but I'm going to side with drummer. I think Crabtree offers more upside at this point in their careers. And it's not because I think Crabtree is a future stud. I think Moss has a giant fork in his back. But at the contract they signed him to it's a worthy gamble and I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
If Moss signed with SEA 49er fans would go "BWAHAHAHA CARROLL IS AN IDIOT BWAHAHAHA MOSS IS SOOOOO DONE BWAHAHAHA!" Now I catch hell because I didn't go "ZOMG! MOSS!"

Sheesh.
So the only options for you are HEELLL YEEAAA or MEH? No wonder you were such a killjoy during this past amazing season. ;) I'm basing my opinion on the glowing reports that Moss received during his workout with NO/SF and also the fact that SF evaluated him and felt the urgency to sign him to a favorable contract before he could leave the field on the same day as his workout. I have faith in Baalke and Co. that they did their due diligence and that they know something that we all don't. Why would they (especially Harbaugh) welcome someone that they feel will become a cancer to the team into their organization with such high expectations (read: pressure) for the upcoming season?

But you would rather have Crab who disappeared in the NFC championship game over someone that is probably a first ballot HOF (pending how the rest of his career pans out) and who's got the resume to prove it... and who still seems to be in football shape? You can't blame Smith for that game b/c Davis went off that day, so you can't tell me that Smith couldn't deliver it...

Now, to be clear... I'm just talking about this upcoming season. Obviously, Moss is an old man so of course Crab is the guy to want for the future...

By the way... in the Manning thread someone posted a recent article about 2 more teams (outside of DEN/TEN/MIA) have entered into the discussions.... Makes ya wonder. :excited:
Now I'm getting hell being a Crabs believer over a guy who has disappeared in games, teams, and the NFL entirely?

Look, I asked if he was the best available FA WR. You said "negative". I also pointed out the QB situation in SF. If they get Peyton then the whole offense gets bumped big time because Peyton can read a defense, and those WR's will get the separation they didn't get with Smith.

Randy Moss' name was pretty big at the time when he went to OAK. What happened there? Then he was paired with Tom Brady. 2010 to now?

The only thing Moss has to prove different is that he doesn't quit. So you're asking me why I question that?
So you conveniently omit 2007-2009? Riiigght... And I'm not giving you hell for believing in Crab. You brought him up.
I think I brought up NE. I think. Yes you are giving me hell for Crabs. Try to keep up on your own trolling.
So if someone doesn't agree with you, then they're trolling? Got it.You want to talk about OAK... I'm pretty sure that his stint in NE came AFTER OAK, so what does that tell you about what you can expect in SF? Exactly.
I dunno, but I think after NE there was a couple of teams, then no team. I think you forget, that he wasn't in the NFL this past season.

I think.

BTW, this is your problem. Not mine. Next time you want me to "BOW DOWN THE THE 49ERS", try to do it with a better example.
:lmao: Dude, you need to relax man. I never implied that you had to "bow down". Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), but I could have sworn it was you in the in-season 2011 SF thread that said we needed to get a big name WR... if it wasn't, then my bad.Why is it that every time you engage with someone in a discussion, you have to get so defensive when they're not all in agreement?

Anyways... back on topic. Moss wasn't in the NFL this past season, heck you can even say he hasn't been in the NFL these last couple years (time with TEN almost felt like that). But the fact that he's still impressing teams in workouts today, and the fact that he's willing to take a "prove yourself" contract says a lot in my book (running a sub 4.4 40 doesn't hurt either).

It was a great signing. Can we at least agree on that... Jeez.

Sheesh.

I think.

:lmao: Dude, you need to relax man. I never implied that you had to "bow down". Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), but I could have sworn it was you in the in-season 2011 SF thread that said we needed to get a big name WR... if it wasn't, then my bad.Why is it that every time you engage with someone in a discussion, you have to get so defensive when they're not all in agreement?

Anyways... back on topic. Moss wasn't in the NFL this past season, heck you can even say he hasn't been in the NFL these last couple years (time with TEN almost felt like that). But the fact that he's still impressing teams in workouts today, and the fact that he's willing to take a "prove yourself" contract says a lot in my book (running a sub 4.4 40 doesn't hurt either).

My 49er offseason Mantra was "Get a Real QB and #1 WR". I dunno of Moss is such a great signing being that, like you admitted, he wasn't the best FA WR on the market. If there is ambivalence it's based om Moss of the recent past. If this is a low risk/reward reclamation project signing that is only for a year, then maybe look at Braylon Edwards last season too. That's the expectation of a one year "character reclamation player". Because it's Moss' character in question, not to mention age. I'm not the one getting defensive here. You called me out earlier and wasn't happy with the response. You should know me by now, and you do. That's why we are where we are right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheesh.

I think.

My 49er offseason Mantra was "Get a Real QB and #1 WR". I dunno of Moss is such a great signing being that, like you admitted, he wasn't the best FA WR on the market. If there is ambivalence it's based om Moss of the recent past. If this is a low risk/reward reclamation project signing that is only for a year, then maybe look at Braylon Edwards last season too. That's the expectation of a one year "character reclamation player". Because it's Moss' character in question, not to mention age. I'm not the one getting defensive here. You called me out earlier and wasn't happy with the response. You should know me by now, and you do. That's why we are where we are right now.
:thumbup: If it makes you feel any better... I would have rather landed Meachem than Moss, lol.

Wow, if the Broncos are offering him 5 years and 90 million, I don't think the 49ers should match that.
Depends on how it's structured. I'm fine spending whatever cap space they have left on him this year so long as it does not cripple the team in the future if Manning cant play (ie they have to cut him).

I'm ok with signing Manning, as long as it's mostly performance based. 5/90 is too much for my taste.

In my opinion, there's too much risk with his neck injury that won't be known until he takes a few sacks.

ymmv.

I'd give Manning whatever he wanted. He will make every part of the offense better. The Colts line was below average, but because Manning gets rid of the ball so quickly, they looked much more efficient. Crabtree would be a 90 reception guy with Manning at QB & can you imagine what he would do with Davis? Manning could transform this offense over night. Hope the 49ers can get this done.

Yeah, we'll see how the numbers look. The difference between winning the Super Bowl and going out in the conference championship is definitely worth millions. It's really the years that bothers me.

Holy crap, Ive been away from the internet all day today, just heard the news about Manning.

C'mon lets get this done!!!

Kinda lost in all this Peyton excitement: no big offers for the FA QB in Alex Smith from other teams.

Put's him in proper perspective.

There's speculation the Niners just brought Lloyd in as a favor to the agent to help show there's a market for him. But it's also being reported SF made Lloyd an offer.

Manning knows his playing window is closing and he doesn't want little brother to one up him in the ring department so I say if the 49ers make a reasonable offer to Peyton he may take it. Peyton is no dummy and he knows football. He also knows that of the teams that are wanting to make him their QB that the 49ers probably stand the best chance of winning the superbowl now or very soon. Yeah Manning would make the Broncos and Titans better and their chance of getting to a superbowl increase with having Manning but I don't see their chances as being as good as the 49ers. Peyton doesn't want his legacy to be that his little brother has more rings than him. He's very competitive with Eli. I say he signs with the 49ers. Bon Voyage Alex Smith!

Yeah, the money's important to Peyton but at this point in his career I'd say he wants another superbowl ring more than a boatload of money. Winning another superbowl title would be high on his priority list I would imagine.

Look, Randy Moss did not run a sub 4.4 40. First of all, PFT confirmed via multiple sources that Moss didn't run a 40 at all. Second, if it's hand-timed it's at least a tenth of a second too fast.He's willing to take a "prove yourself" contract because no one will give him a "you're proven" contract.

Look, Randy Moss did not run a sub 4.4 40. First of all, PFT confirmed via multiple sources that Moss didn't run a 40 at all. Second, if it's hand-timed it's at least a tenth of a second too fast.He's willing to take a "prove yourself" contract because no one will give him a "you're proven" contract.
We pointed out on Tuesday that, although receiver Randy Moss impressed the Saints with his route-running, he didn’t run 40 yards in a straight line with a stopwatch ticking.

I’ve re-confirmed, via multiple sources, that Moss indeed did not run a 40-yard dash, because there is at least one report that he did. And at least 100 of you have pointed via email and/or Twitter.

Contrary to those reports, Moss didn’t run a 40-yard dash.

It’s still unknown whether he wasn’t asked to run a 40, or whether he declined. (Or whether they offered him $1,500 if he could break 4.4. seconds.)

Moss has claimed that he can still run a 4.3. Of course, a guy doesn’t have to run the 40 to prove that he can still run.

He’ll be doing some more running for at least two unnamed teams next week.
Well put me in the camp of people that read the report(s) of him doing it. I wasn't at his workout, so I can only rely on things I read on the innerwebz (just like you've just done).You're link does support the other part of my argument (that he impressed NO)... and I think it's silly to say that Moss hasn't proven himself (again, check his resume). It's whether or not he's going to give it all his effort that's the question.

I like really like what SF has done with their WR signings for their team. As a Manningham owner, I must say I'm disappointed though. Unless Manning comes to SF, Manningham's value has gone down. For SF, in real football terms, adding Manningham and Moss were great moves IMO. We know Manningham can get behind defenses and make plays. SF has just provided insurance for their Moss gamble.

Funniest comment I've seen yet (from twitter):

There it is, folks - Manning to Denver. Now its time to get back together with the ex we dumped because some hot chick winked at us.

:lmao:

per Peter King:Hearing Alex Smith is very serious about Miami--if they're serious about him.
This wouldn't bother me at all. Smith played well last season, but Harbaugh put him in a good position to succeed. He's not the long term answer & I would hate to see him stunt CK's development by hanging on another 3 years. No problem at all bringing Josh Johnson in & letting him & CK battle it out in training camp. The team may have some bumps early on, but should be better for it by the end of the year.I'm a Smith supporter, but he is what he is.

per Peter King:Hearing Alex Smith is very serious about Miami--if they're serious about him.
This wouldn't bother me at all. Smith played well last season, but Harbaugh put him in a good position to succeed. He's not the long term answer & I would hate to see him stunt CK's development by hanging on another 3 years. No problem at all bringing Josh Johnson in & letting him & CK battle it out in training camp. The team may have some bumps early on, but should be better for it by the end of the year.I'm a Smith supporter, but he is what he is.
SF is a SB caliber team IMO and loosing Smith would not be good. Cap may have more long term potential than Smith, but he isn't going to better then Smith this year. If SF is in a win now mode, I think Smith is the better option.

At this point I wonder if Alex really wants to have another new coach, system, and OC....especially on a team that won't win a lot of games...

If he signs with Miami, I think it would be more out of spite than anything else...and I wouldn't blame him.

I heard on NFL Network, that Alex told MIA that he would not sign until he new where Manning was going. Pretty hard evidence that he will quickly scurry back to Santa Clara if Manning signs elsewhere.

I heard on NFL Network, that Alex told MIA that he would not sign until he new where Manning was going. Pretty hard evidence that he will quickly scurry back to Santa Clara if Manning signs elsewhere.
Heard that as well..Guess we will find out VERY soon.

Welcome back, Smith. He's our best option at the moment. If Kaepernick outplays him so be it. But I don't want to NEED Kaepernick to play well because we have no other option.

Funniest comment I've seen yet (from twitter):There it is, folks - Manning to Denver. Now its time to get back together with the ex we dumped because some hot chick winked at us. :lmao:
Ouch... so true. Probably the best thing for 2012 is to sign Smith if we can and hope he builds on his 2011 improvement while Kaepernick continues to develop.But it wouldn't suprise me if Kaep is under center next fall. Remember, the guy came in as a college freshman and pretty much lit it up (granted it wasn't against Pac-10 teams, but he's shown to be a fast learner.)At the end of the day, Harbaugh has earned my trust, so I'm good with whatever he decides.

At this point I wonder if Alex really wants to have another new coach, system, and OC....especially on a team that won't win a lot of games...

If he signs with Miami, I think it would be more out of spite than anything else...and I wouldn't blame him.
One of the things I respect about Alex Smith is that he doesn't seem to be a spiteful guy. I suspect he'll sign with SF.

One of the things I respect about Alex Smith is that he doesn't seem to be a spiteful guy. I suspect he'll sign with SF.
It's because he has no spine.

Hes a class act for sure. :thumbup: Im sure he got his feelings hurt, but its not the first time, and I think he will be fine this year as our QB.

:goodposting: Smith's attitude over the years has made me a big fan of Alex Smith the person. Seems like a great guy who has consistently handled things with class.

:goodposting: Smith's attitude over the years has made me a big fan of Alex Smith the person. Seems like a great guy who has consistently handled things with class.
I have even less respect for him to crawl back like he always does.

SF is holding a pro day workout for 30-40 fa's today. A first for the Niners.

UFL's star qb Chase Clement is in attendance! Watch out, Alex!

Now that MIA has signed Garrard, I'd expect no other team to "aggressively pursue" Smith's Game Manager talents now that South Beach is out of the sweepstakes.

2 year at 12 mil Alex. Come crawl back to SF with that on the table. What's that? You're hurt over "loyalty"? What's this class thing everybody thinks about you?

Now that MIA has signed Garrard, I'd expect no other team to "aggressively pursue" Smith's Game Manager talents now that South Beach is out of the sweepstakes. 2 year at 12 mil Alex. Come crawl back to SF with that on the table. What's that? You're hurt over "loyalty"? What's this class thing everybody thinks about you?
I get the feeling you're a huge fan of Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread