What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Ghostbusters Thread (1 Viewer)

Have no plans to see it. In fact my wife has made it quite clear it isn't an option (even though I never mentioned wanting to see it, so that was weird). But Fandango has it as 4 stars based on fan reviews. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 73% (no idea if that means good or bad).

I saw it this afternoon with my 16-year-old daughter.  She said it was better than the original. :rolleyes:

It dragged in parts, but it was entertaining enough. 

Thank God it's at least going to be tolerable, if not at least a bit better. I'm totally going to get roped into taking my 13YO daughter and have been ducking and dodging the "When can we go?" questions

The original is a classic. One of the best films of its time and a top 5 movie all time for me. I don't know how this remake could possibly hold up. I also cannot stand Melissa McCarthy. 

Concur on the Melissa McCarthy dislike. She is always the same character...better is small doses like Bridesmaids and This is 40. I am a huge Kate McKinnon fan, so my hopes for this film hinge on her performance.

Concur on the Melissa McCarthy dislike. She is always the same character...better is small doses like Bridesmaids and This is 40. I am a huge Kate McKinnon fan, so my hopes for this film hinge on her performance.
McKinnon has a very limited role.   She gets the least time in front of the camera of the four leads, and her character is barely sketched out.   

I have no desire to see it just based on it looking like a shot for shot remake of the original. 

I mean why not just make one of the girls the daughter of Bill Murray and wanting to carry on his research or something and then do something original? 

I have no desire to see it just based on it looking like a shot for shot remake of the original. 

I mean why not just make one of the girls the daughter of Bill Murray and wanting to carry on his research or something and then do something original? 
Ya, it is a basic full remake.   Chris Hemsworth gets a few laughs in a rewritten role, replacing Annie Potts as the receptionist, and that gets old pretty quick.  

Huge cynical jerk here....was extremely skeptical of yet another reboot.  Wife said men across the board were looking down on it even before release.

It was great.   Great cast, good writing, great effects, and I laughed loudly in a crowded theater which I rarely do.  As of last night there was no way I was going to see it in the theaters but my sister convinced me to take the kids with her today and we absolutely enjoyed it.

I was 13 for first one and it will reign supreme for sure.  But this was fun and we all really enjoyed it.  My kids laughed really hard too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hated that the advocates(and media spinmeisters) of this move attacked and accused critics of being misogynistic in regards to the gender decisions in casting.  

Are you kidding? It set an all-time YouTube record for thumbs down with the first trailer. It's obviously nowhere near that bad of a movie. So what else would you think caused that to happen? 
The trailer was awful dude.

Really a bold move by the studio to cast four generally unattractive women. Why not throw in a little eye candy? Plenty of funny hot actresses to choose from.

Movie sucked.  Thank god saw in 3D so I could sleep.  The blonde annoyed the #### out of me and just isn't funny.  My 10 year old son says it's the best movie he's ever seen though, so there's that.

Haven't heard anything good from friends who saw it.   Maybe I'll catch it free one day.  Play the 2009 Ghostbusters video game if you want a real Ghostbusters 3.  It even starred the original cast and was truly written by Ramis and Aykroyd.  

This was one of my favorite movies from my youth, right up there with back to the future and karate kid.

I'm thankful back to the future won't be getting this treatment anytime soon.

Capella said:
Are you kidding? It set an all-time YouTube record for thumbs down with the first trailer. It's obviously nowhere near that bad of a movie. So what else would you think caused that to happen? 
I certainly don't think it was a bunch of male internet trolls who hated women. I think it was mainly because it was outrage (if one can really have legimate outrage over a movie) over a movie that many people didn't think needed to be remade or re-imagined.  FWIW, it's a classic comedy with Hall of Fame actors in it.  I'd imagine the same "outrage" would occur if they remade/reimagined a number of classic movies from any era. 

I'm one who's semi-interested in seeing it, but I'm not getting the backlash over the backlash....it almost feels like a guilt trip defense. 

ThaPenguin said:
McKinnon was great. The movie itself was ok. I didn't love or hate it, won't see it again but didn't deserve the anger leading up to it either. 

A few funny lines. Didn't help that the AC was broken in the theater and I got to smell the fat guy sweat next to me.

Capella said:
:lol:  

I'm not agreeing 100% here but that's pretty good. 

I guess everyone knows this by now but it was originally a Belushi & Ackroyd vehicle, Murray stepped in when he died. It's great to think about how Belushi would have filled that role out. But again Ramis really makes the whole thing work as he adds stability as both a character and actor, he's a foil technically but he was so much nor as he also has his share of eye rolls, droll lines and physical humor.

I still have no idea what Ernie Hudson was doing there. I guess there's some obvious claim about diversity, but I can't believe they really did that. It's just that he was just not a good comedic actor, at least not in the original or remake. Still a puzzle to me.

Sconch said:
Hey, guys...

The first one wasn't very good either unless you were under 15.

#nostalgia 
Everything was fine until dickless showed up here...

Is this true?

Yes it's true, this man has no ****. 

Nostalgia

It's not really a suggestion. It's pretty well-known that a bunch of bros coordinated down-voting on YouTube. Just google it. 

http://screencrush.com/ghostbusters-trailer-most-disliked-movie-trailer-in-history/
That's a flimsy article brother. It delves into the new paradigm of YouTube trailer voting as some qualitative science. Who the hell ever heard of it it being indicative of anything?  The ridculous six is not a legacy property like ghostbusters is. There were probably more down Votes for ghostbusters than there were total views for the ridic 6. 

Being female driven didn't hurt bridesmaids in the least. And it was VERY female driven in content and core.  But I don't think you'd find a funnier movie the year it came out, or find one that sold more tickets. It was uniquely and inherently FEMALE.   And that was ok. And people loved it. 

If this movie was called spectre hunters, it might have been seen differently but when you call it ghostbusters, you inherit the good and the bad. 

That trailer had an exorcist joke in it. An exorcist joke. A 43 year old movie. To put it in perspective, we hadn't even entered world war 2 43 years before ghostbusters orginally came out. Would they do 1941 call backs when giving you the best 2 minutes to sell the movie?  

If Seth rogen and James Franco were In that trailer it would have been destroyed for that crap. 

Would 9 to 5 with dudes getting revenge on their female boss be well recieved?  Would a white version of Friday be well recieved?  

Theres no reason you COULDNT make those, but you better believe you will need escape velocity to get out of the orbit those orginal properties created in their greatness. 

That's a flimsy article brother. It delves into the new paradigm of YouTube trailer voting as some qualitative science. Who the hell ever heard of it it being indicative of anything?  The ridculous six is not a legacy property like ghostbusters is. There were probably more down Votes for ghostbusters than there were total views for the ridic 6. 

Being female driven didn't hurt bridesmaids in the least. And it was VERY female driven in content and core.  But I don't think you'd find a funnier movie the year it came out, or find one that sold more tickets. It was uniquely and inherently FEMALE.   And that was ok. And people loved it. 

If this movie was called spectre hunters, it might have been seen differently but when you call it ghostbusters, you inherit the good and the bad. 

That trailer had an exorcist joke in it. An exorcist joke. A 43 year old movie. To put it in perspective, we hadn't even entered world war 2 43 years before ghostbusters orginally came out. Would they do 1941 call backs when giving you the best 2 minutes to sell the movie?  

If Seth rogen and James Franco were In that trailer it would have been destroyed for that crap. 

Would 9 to 5 with dudes getting revenge on their female boss be well recieved?  Would a white version of Friday be well recieved?  

Theres no reason you COULDNT make those, but you better believe you will need escape velocity to get out of the orbit those orginal properties created in their greatness. 
That was the first article on the Google search. There are dozens. 

You are nuts to think the same trailer with Franco and Rogen gets that much scorn. No chance in hell. 

That was the first article on the Google search. There are dozens. 

You are nuts to think the same trailer with Franco and Rogen gets that much scorn. No chance in hell. 
Do you think the interview was a well recieved project?

people crapped all over it. Not because they are men or women but because it blows. 

I guess everyone knows this by now but it was originally a Belushi & Ackroyd vehicle, Murray stepped in when he died. It's great to think about how Belushi would have filled that role out. But again Ramis really makes the whole thing work as he adds stability as both a character and actor, he's a foil technically but he was so much nor as he also has his share of eye rolls, droll lines and physical humor.

I still have no idea what Ernie Hudson was doing there. I guess there's some obvious claim about diversity, but I can't believe they really did that. It's just that he was just not a good comedic actor, at least not in the original or remake. Still a puzzle to me.
Was originally supposed to be Eddie Murphy, not Ernie Hudson. But Murphy decided to make Beverly Hills Cop instead. (Solid decision there. Should have stopped after #2.)

I guess Hudson was the nearest available black man after Eddie dropped out.

people crapped all over it. Not because they are men or women but because it blows. 
Yet the trailer for The Interview probably doesn't even crack the top 10,000 for downthumbs, which is kind of the point.  A remake of a classic movie like Ghostbusters was always going to bring along a fair amount of scorn, but that was then quadrupled because of the all female cast.  You're kidding yourself if you think this thing would have been anywhere near the most downvoted youtube video of all-time if it were Franco and crew in the remake.  People would still be ticked, but not anywhere near THIS ticked.

Not saying people wouldn't have killed it or have killed other movies with men in it. You're missing the point here. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/724319-ghostbusters-all-girl-cast/#comment-17729494

Weve got about 10 pages of people giving their feelings for dislike in here.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the all-girls cast, I'm not a fan of remaking Ghostbusters, and I'm not a fan of remakes in general. I'm sure there are other reasons, but roll that up and you have dislike for what is happening.

They took a movie that most of us remember as awesome from our youth and turned it to meh. Reviews at best are so/so - this is ####### Ghostbusters, nothing is supposed to be meh here. 

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/724319-ghostbusters-all-girl-cast/#comment-17729494

Weve got about 10 pages of people giving their feelings for dislike in here.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the all-girls cast, I'm not a fan of remaking Ghostbusters, and I'm not a fan of remakes in general. I'm sure there are other reasons, but roll that up and you have dislike for what is happening.

They took a movie that most of us remember as awesome from our youth and turned it to meh. Reviews at best are so/so - this is ####### Ghostbusters, nothing is supposed to be meh here. 
I don't think 10 pages of griping about a girls cast from an all-guys message board is making the point you want to make here. 

Users who are viewing this thread