What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Knitting Thread (1 Viewer)

Terrence Jones, 13th ranked player in the class of 2010, announced his 5 official visits, plus an unofficial include: Arz, Okla, UK, Oreg, UCLA, WashHe had his list narrowed down to 7 schools, the only one he seemingly has no plans in visiting in Kansas.
Jones will make an unofficial visit to Lawrence, but KU is spending more time on Adrien Payne. It's safe to say KU is running 7th in this race right now. My gut says Jones will stay out west. He's sort of related to Damon and Salim Stoudamire (cousins by marriage), and Arizona has an immediate need at forward, so if I had to guess today, I'd say Arizona will get him.
Thanks Bruce, I thought that was odd that KU would be left out. I know very little about this kid.

Apparently Roy Williams is at the Barnes house again tonight and many sources say this was coordinated by the Barnes camp. I thought coaches could only make one in home visit, but apparently that's not the case.
yeah, i really don't know what to think of this (don't even know if its true)If Barnes seriously scheduled this, i don't even know what to say. That's about as disrespectful as it gets IMO.
How is that disrespectful? Sorry if i missed something in previous discussion about his recruitment.
Barnes made it a point to schedule Duke's in home visit tonight. (because it was the last day you could have contact). To bring Roy in after K leaves (again, if true) is kind of a shady thing to do IMO.If this really happened, i just have to believe UNC is out in front. I dont believe Barnes would have a coach fly across the country just so he could tell him that he was going somewhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently Roy Williams is at the Barnes house again tonight and many sources say this was coordinated by the Barnes camp. I thought coaches could only make one in home visit, but apparently that's not the case.
yeah, i really don't know what to think of this (don't even know if its true)If Barnes seriously scheduled this, i don't even know what to say. That's about as disrespectful as it gets IMO.
How is that disrespectful? Sorry if i missed something in previous discussion about his recruitment.
Barnes made it a point to schedule Duke's in home visit tonight. (because it was the last day you could have contact). To bring Roy in after K leaves (again, if true) is kind of a shady thing to do IMO.If this really happened, i just have to believe UNC is out in front. I dont believe Barnes would have a coach fly across the country just so he could tell him that he was going somewhere else
Ahh, thanks. I did not realize they were both scheduled (supposedly) for tonight. If true, then I agree, looks like he is bound for UNC.

There's really no point of doing an "all-time" list, pre-3 point line, pre-64 team field, etc.
I'm not inclined to count Final Fours from the 1940s and 1950s as equal to the Final Fours of the last 30 years. Counting all seasons equally, the Illinois ranking still doesn't make much sense to me. Illinois's win percentage is "only" .654, not all that special among the historically strong programs. Maybe Illinois had a lot of seasons winning around 65% of their games, and Sagarin penalized clunker seasons heavily.

Terrence Jones, 13th ranked player in the class of 2010, announced his 5 official visits, plus an unofficial include: Arz, Okla, UK, Oreg, UCLA, WashHe had his list narrowed down to 7 schools, the only one he seemingly has no plans in visiting in Kansas.
Jones will make an unofficial visit to Lawrence, but KU is spending more time on Adrien Payne. It's safe to say KU is running 7th in this race right now. My gut says Jones will stay out west. He's sort of related to Damon and Salim Stoudamire (cousins by marriage), and Arizona has an immediate need at forward, so if I had to guess today, I'd say Arizona will get him.
Thanks Bruce, I thought that was odd that KU would be left out. I know very little about this kid.
He showed up on KU fans' radar early because he's from the same high school as Aaron Miles and Michael Lee, two guards from Roy Williams's last seasons in Lawrence. Jones can play both forward spots in college, and will want to play some SF wherever he goes because he won't be able to play PF in the NBA. He's from Oregon and seems to be close with his family (Mom played basketball at UWashington), so IMO this fight is with the west coast schools.

Coach K college basketball. GREAT game. Only problem was both Ricky Price for Duke and Charlie Miller for Indiana were unstoppable, and Doron Sheffer probably shot about 50% from half court.
:goodposting: Tracked it down online for the Sega Genesis emulator. The Coach K branding explains why UNC, past or present, is not in the game. It was a damn shame that Voshon Lenard, Chad Kolander, and Townsend Orr didn't make the cartridge.
Lenard. Ugh.Looked like a star and then regressed his senior year to a level I've never seen before or since.

Still a ton of rumblings on both the UNC and Duke boards about Barnes. From what I've heard and read there are some Duke posters saying it's bad news for them. Don't know if it's BS or not, but at this point it's gotten very interesting. Buddy of mine just told me several of the Duke posters are just saying bad news because members of the Carolina message boards are taking the bait. I don't think anything will be known one way or another for a month or so.

Tar Heel Boy said:
Still a ton of rumblings on both the UNC and Duke boards about Barnes. From what I've heard and read there are some Duke posters saying it's bad news for them. Don't know if it's BS or not, but at this point it's gotten very interesting. Buddy of mine just told me several of the Duke posters are just saying bad news because members of the Carolina message boards are taking the bait. I don't think anything will be known one way or another for a month or so.
For the record, the rumblings on the UNC message board are coming from the board administrator, not merely the usual "insider" posters. Like you, I'm skeptical, but I wonder if part my skepticism is that Barnes to UNC seems too good to be true. I honestly thought our best hope was that he'd go to KU, and that our best real hope was that he'd be one-and-done at Duke.

Big Blue Madness tickets, which were given out free, are now going for over $100 per seat on Ebay. Just crazy!

Tar Heel Boy said:
For the record, the rumblings on the UNC message board are coming from the board administrator, not merely the usual "insider" posters. Like you, I'm skeptical, but I wonder if part my skepticism is that Barnes to UNC seems too good to be true. I honestly thought our best hope was that he'd go to KU, and that our best real hope was that he'd be one-and-done at Duke.
the bottom line is nobody knows whats going on right now. I really hope we hear something concrete soon. The suspense is just too much to deal with.

Pretty good summary of the ACC. PRetty much everyone has the Heels winning the conference. There's no clear cut favorite in the conference this year like UNC was last year. I do think by March this is going to be a very dangerous Tar Heels team. They'll take their lumps early on prior to conference play, but it will only make them better.

I was thinking about the Barnes recruiting saga today. What does everyone think about the direction kids are being recruited. Roy and Coach K are definitely pulling out all the stops to recruit this kid and throwing out the red carpet. Both are going above and beyond the normal recruiting process in hopes to land this kid. Is this good for recruiting in general? One of these programs will be disappointed. It's not a completely devastating blow for either program, but it is interesting to see the extremes both are taking.

I was thinking about the Barnes recruiting saga today. What does everyone think about the direction kids are being recruited. Roy and Coach K are definitely pulling out all the stops to recruit this kid and throwing out the red carpet. Both are going above and beyond the normal recruiting process in hopes to land this kid. Is this good for recruiting in general? One of these programs will be disappointed. It's not a completely devastating blow for either program, but it is interesting to see the extremes both are taking.
I'm not sure. Many UCLA fans are actually questioning why Ben Howland would even bring Barnes in for an official visit and continue to recruit him when most insiders don't believe there is any chance he ends up at UCLA.I haven't actually paid much attention to how "hard" UCLA is recruiting Barnes, but I think most coaches take the stance that you cannot land the big fish unless you actually try. And, in order to land someone like Barnes, you should probably do everything (legit) that you can in order to try to put your program in the best position to land such a player.Both UNC and Duke (and UCLA and the other two that made his 'top 5') know that they will be disappointed if they lose Barnes. But, they could be in a much better position to win a national title with him than without. So, to sort of answer your questions, sure, it's good. If it brings a great player with solid academics to your program, then you should go ahead and do what you can. After all, it's really hard to win a title and you most likely aren't going to do it without quite a few excellent college players on your roster.

i don't have a problem with the Barnes recruitment (although i do have a problem with Barnes if he indeed set up last night's Roy visit ahead of time)

I've seen far lamer stuff done in recruiting. I remember reading about one coach meeting recruits at their hotel of an all star game last spring......

i don't have a problem with the Barnes recruitment (although i do have a problem with Barnes if he indeed set up last night's Roy visit ahead of time)I've seen far lamer stuff done in recruiting. I remember reading about one coach meeting recruits at their hotel of an all star game last spring......
And to be honest I don't know if we'll know the honest answer. I've heard from probably half a dozen people close to the Carolina program that the Barnes family initiated the contact. Of course, the Duke fanbase is saying Roy Williams was the one that made the contact over the weekend. Whichever party is responsible they did a great job of keeping it quiet and it was definitely a surprise. His HS coach wasn't even aware of it.

Some of the closer Carolina insiders I've heard from say that Barnes mom loves UNC, but he's still leaning towards Duke. If I had to say right now from everything I've read and heard it's about 60/40 him going to Duke.

Some of the closer Carolina insiders I've heard from say that Barnes mom loves UNC, but he's still leaning towards Duke. If I had to say right now from everything I've read and heard it's about 60/40 him going to Duke.
that's the theory on the Duke boards as well. Harrison loves Duke, but mom loves UNC (not surprising, as Roy is great at schmoozing with the mothers). In fact, she may have been the one that set up (or at least instigated) Monday night's meeting. If Barnes doesn't have his mind already made up, i think Duke could still close on his official (especially if Irving is already committed)

few updates from Duke insiders.

Irving IS going to attend Kentucky's Midnight Madness, but he's still coming to Duke. He's just changed his time/date that he's announcing. I'm 100% sure he's a Blue Devil.

There has been a LOT of talk that Barnes mother did indeed initiate the contact. But not sure we'll find out for sure until all of this is over. But the facts are that quick trip was Roy's last "bullet" so to speak. The fact that Barnes didn't commit and is still coming to Duke for his OV confirms that he hasn't changed his mind, and will be a Blue Devil IMO.

Barnes' mom might fall for Roy's fake "good ole boy" persona, but Harrison knows better. Late October is when I expect the fireworks to start happening for Duke.

CBS Preseason Awards-

1st Team All America

John Wall (Player of Year)

Willie Warren

Al-Farouq Aminu

Luke Harangody

Cole Aldrich

2nd Team

Sherron Collins

Avery Bradley

Kyle Singler

Patrick Patterson

Derrick Favors

3rd Team

Kalin Lucas

Manny Harris

Gordon Hayward

Craig Brackins

Trevor Booker

thats just silly. I think Wall is a TREMENDOUS talent (he's the best HS PG i've ever seen). But Collins is a proven senior who has won a title.

Wall's got a ton more long term upside, but it seems pre-mature to annoint him already.

Even Rose got off to a somewhat shaky start.

I think Singler is a bit better than Aminu at this point as well (again, Aminu probably has more pro upside).

Surprised to see Ed Davis Left off. (especially when Favors makes 2nd team)

thats just silly. I think Wall is a TREMENDOUS talent (he's the best HS PG i've ever seen). But Collins is a proven senior who has won a title.Wall's got a ton more long term upside, but it seems pre-mature to annoint him already.Even Rose got off to a somewhat shaky start. I think Singler is a bit better than Aminu at this point as well (again, Aminu probably has more pro upside).Surprised to see Ed Davis Left off. (especially when Favors makes 2nd team)
Again, I enjoy anything giving UK credit, but I agree. I can actually see putting him on the 1st team (mostly because i do not like Collins all that much), but to make him POY is a bit wild. Surprised about Davis too.

Barnes has changed his official visits. Duke was his last official visit, but now it's UCLA. Duke is the 2nd to last OV. They had to rearrange the schedule because his mom couldn't make one of the visits for some reason.

Oh and the trip Roy Williams took on Monday night was not quickly planned. It was planned sometime last week. This has been confirmed by several sources.

More issues at KU..

Markieff Morris involved in traffic accident

LAWRENCE, Kan. – University of Kansas men’s basketball player Markieff Morris was involved in a two-car accident last month. According to a Lawrence police report, the car Morris was driving belonged to former KU player Scot Pollard.

On "Between the Lines," KU Associate Athletics Director for External Relations Jim Marchiony believed the entire incident a non-issue, saying the car in question was bought from Pollard and is owned by Morris' teammate Tyshawn Taylor.

"Everything is legal," Marchiony told BTL host Kevin Kietzman. "It is not a compliance issue."

Pollard later joined Kietzman and said he sold the car to Taylor in either late July or August.

At 1:14 a.m., on Sunday, Sept. 13, a city police officer was dispatched to Tennessee and 17th streets in Lawrence – the scene of a two-car, non-injury accident.

According to the report, a 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe, operated by current Jayhawks player Morris, 20, was traveling south on the right side of the two-lane street. Morris said he was preparing to make a left turn onto 17th, but as he did, he struck the rear passenger door of a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am that was just ahead and to the left of Morris.

Though the report listed damage at or greater than $1000 to the Grand Am, Morris, three passengers in the Tahoe (a 20-year old male and two females ages 16 and 22) and two females in the Grand Am denied medical attention.

The responding officer indicated that there were no visible signs of impairment.

On Oct. 11, the men’s program, along with the football and women’s basketball team, is scheduled to conclude a three-year probation – the result of the NCAA’s finding and ruling in April 2006 that the teams previously were operating under a “lack of appropriate institutional control.”

Recently, negative headlines, including a series of on-campus fights between the men’s basketball and football teams, as well as guard Brady Morningstar’s arrest last weekend for suspicion of DWI, have surrounded the program. Morningstar has been suspended until the second semester by head coach Bill Self – a punishment handed down hours after the arrest news was made public.

Markieff Morris was one of several basketball players named as having been involved in the football/basketball altercations. Last December, Morris accepted a diversion agreement in Douglas County after pleading not guilty to shooting a woman with a BB gun from his apartment window in August.

Kansas has been tabbed No. 1 in several preseason polls and will open its season at home on Nov. 3 against Fort Hays State.

Barnes has changed his official visits. Duke was his last official visit, but now it's UCLA. Duke is the 2nd to last OV. They had to rearrange the schedule because his mom couldn't make one of the visits for some reason.
Barnes wants to bring his mom on the UCLA visit on Halloween weekend (free trip to LA?). He's scheduled to now visit Iowa St. unofficially on November 6, and then he's going to decide prior to his HS season (first practice is on November 16).Bruin fans are still on the fence as to why UCLA is even bringing him in on an official visit. I think anytime the #1 player in the country wants to trip (and doesn't have OJ Mayo/Sidney-type of baggage), you let him.Good luck to Duke and UNC on getting him!

GDogg said:
Barnes wants to bring his mom on the UCLA visit on Halloween weekend (free trip to LA?). He's scheduled to now visit Iowa St. unofficially on November 6, and then he's going to decide prior to his HS season (first practice is on November 16).Bruin fans are still on the fence as to why UCLA is even bringing him in on an official visit. I think anytime the #1 player in the country wants to trip (and doesn't have OJ Mayo/Sidney-type of baggage), you let him.Good luck to Duke and UNC on getting him!
I think it's a two horse race between UNC and Duke to land him with maybe an outside shot for Kansas.

UK got some bad news this week. Looks like Teague will not be visiting for Big Blue Madness due to his father's work conflict. On top of that, Josh Selby will not visit because Irving will be there.

Bruin fans are still on the fence as to why UCLA is even bringing him in on an official visit. I think anytime the #1 player in the country wants to trip (and doesn't have OJ Mayo/Sidney-type of baggage), you let him.
I'm with you there, especially on the low-baggage part, which Barnes seems to be. Even if UCLA doesn't get Barnes, the visit helps them with future recruits. As other top players start paring down their lists, they see that a top player like Barnes had UCLA as a finalist. Therefore, UCLA is a top program capable of getting top recruits to visit. So even though it looks like there's maybe a 1% chance Barnes plays for UCLA, the visit is an investment towards future recruits.

More issues at KU..

LAWRENCE, Kan. – University of Kansas men’s basketball player Markieff Morris was involved in a two-car accident last month. According to a Lawrence police report, the car Morris was driving belonged to former KU player Scot Pollard.
This was a weird story all around, amplified by all the other bad #### going down in Lawrence the last couple months. The car itself passed NCAA muster, at least initially. Pollard sold it to Tyshawn Taylor, the proposed sale was reported to the NCAA, and the NCAA cleared the sale. That's not saying nothing bad went down, but the car is a 1997 Tahoe. It's not like Pollard took Taylor to a dealership and bought him a pimped-out new SUV. Still, it's a bad idea for a booster to sell a car to player. The NCAA classifies all former players as "boosters", and millionaire boosters like Pollard should be more careful about the appearance of impropriety, even when no rules are technically broken.

But even if the car itself isn't an issue, other stuff about the story is problematic.

First, the accident. That stretch of Tennessee is a two-lane, one-way street. (The article didn't mention the one-way part). So, Markieff was trying to make a left turn from one lane too far to the right. It's a move an impaired driver makes. Maybe he wasn't worried about other cars because of the time of day: it was 1:14 in the morning, so it was late, but before the bars closed. Still, it was some ####ty driving.

Second, one of the passengers was a 16-year-old girl. I'm sure there's a good explanation for that - Markieff was probably babysitting his cousin or the kid sister of the 22-year-old woman that was also in the car, but I imagine a few folks in the athletic department got a little nervous about Markieff having an underage girl in Tyshawn's car after 1 in the morning.

Third, this isn't the first time Markieff has shown lousy judgment. He got busted for shooting a BB gun out of a dorm window last fall.

More issues at KU..

This was a weird story all around, amplified by all the other bad #### going down in Lawrence the last couple months. The car itself passed NCAA muster, at least initially. Pollard sold it to Tyshawn Taylor, the proposed sale was reported to the NCAA, and the NCAA cleared the sale. That's not saying nothing bad went down, but the car is a 1997 Tahoe. It's not like Pollard took Taylor to a dealership and bought him a pimped-out new SUV. Still, it's a bad idea for a booster to sell a car to player. The NCAA classifies all former players as "boosters", and millionaire boosters like Pollard should be more careful about the appearance of impropriety, even when no rules are technically broken.

But even if the car itself isn't an issue, other stuff about the story is problematic.

First, the accident. That stretch of Tennessee is a two-lane, one-way street. (The article didn't mention the one-way part). So, Markieff was trying to make a left turn from one lane too far to the right. It's a move an impaired driver makes. Maybe he wasn't worried about other cars because of the time of day: it was 1:14 in the morning, so it was late, but before the bars closed. Still, it was some ####ty driving.

Second, one of the passengers was a 16-year-old girl. I'm sure there's a good explanation for that - Markieff was probably babysitting his cousin or the kid sister of the 22-year-old woman that was also in the car, but I imagine a few folks in the athletic department got a little nervous about Markieff having an underage girl in Tyshawn's car after 1 in the morning.

Third, this isn't the first time Markieff has shown lousy judgment. He got busted for shooting a BB gun out of a dorm window last fall.
Even stranger is that Scot Pollard is worth tens of millions of dollars.

Even stranger is that Scot Pollard is worth tens of millions of dollars.
He made $38MM in salary during his NBA career. I would have been under by at least $13MM if I'd guessed at that number.
He was actually a decent player when he played for Sacramento. He provided a lot of energy on the court. Kind of like Birdman does in Denver.
But he never really blocked shots or scored, he was basically a one-trick pony (rebounding). Good for him getting paid though, just further illustrates that a good big man is hard to find.

Two UofL starters were arrested early this morning after getting into a fight at a party. Both Terrence Jennings and Jerry Smith are/were slated to be starters I believe. Pitino says it will be handled "internally." No surprise there since he has had his own share of trouble this year. I am guessing neither will miss any game time.

Two UofL starters were arrested early this morning after getting into a fight at a party. Both Terrence Jennings and Jerry Smith are/were slated to be starters I believe. Pitino says it will be handled "internally." No surprise there since he has had his own share of trouble this year. I am guessing neither will miss any game time.
I love the UK/UL rivalry more than UNC/TSTNBN. :lmao:Put me down for Smith and Jennings getting suspended for some cupcake games, but nothing important.

Seriously thinking about buying this book.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/ESPN-Coll...ia+the+complete

It's a rather expensive book, but I think any college hoops junkie would love this book.
Well, I purchased the book yesterday and so far I'd say it was well worth the price. Tons of data and stats for every year. Box scores from the tourneys, weekly polls, etc. They also discuss each team and their top 5 players of all time. I do have a problems with some of the teams that used to be in the old Southwest Conference.1. Jon Koncak was not mentioned as one of the top 5 for SMU. I know most of you don't care, but I think he was much more deserving than Sasser was for being mentioned as one of the top 5.

2. Kevin Durant was awesome at Texas for his one year stay...no doubt about it. However, how can he be listed above someone like a Travis Mays that was a very good player for four years at Texas. He wasn't an All American and not flashy, but the dude could put up some serious numbers. Don't necessarily agree with that one.

Also, there is no single Kentucky player worthy of top 5 consideration that played for the Pitino teams in the 90's???? Heck, even Kenny Walker wasn't considered, I don't believe.

If anyone cares about any other teams mentioned let me know. This might not interest many, but I really like the book.

Even if it was coordinated by the Barnes camp?Maybe they're meeting in the front yard or something.

UConn landed big man Michael Bradley out of TN. Not a huge pedigree, but he apparently blew up this summer. Good to lock down some Plan B's...

Tar Heel Boy said:

It's a rather expensive book, but I think any college hoops junkie would love this book.
Well, I purchased the book yesterday and so far I'd say it was well worth the price. Tons of data and stats for every year. Box scores from the tourneys, weekly polls, etc. They also discuss each team and their top 5 players of all time. I do have a problems with some of the teams that used to be in the old Southwest Conference.1. Jon Koncak was not mentioned as one of the top 5 for SMU. I know most of you don't care, but I think he was much more deserving than Sasser was for being mentioned as one of the top 5.

2. Kevin Durant was awesome at Texas for his one year stay...no doubt about it. However, how can he be listed above someone like a Travis Mays that was a very good player for four years at Texas. He wasn't an All American and not flashy, but the dude could put up some serious numbers. Don't necessarily agree with that one.

Also, there is no single Kentucky player worthy of top 5 consideration that played for the Pitino teams in the 90's???? Heck, even Kenny Walker wasn't considered, I don't believe.

If anyone cares about any other teams mentioned let me know. This might not interest many, but I really like the book.
Interesting stuff. Who did they have on the UK team? Issel? Chapman? Prince? Nash? Riley? Mashburn?

A couple of UK notes:

* UK and Gillispie settled out of court and coach got $2.9 million. Glad that is over. His DUI cost him $1 million basically.

* Some rapper named Drake is going to be at Big Blue Madness. Never heard of him, but apparently he is Irving's favorite. I am officially embarrassed.

Tar Heel Boy said:

I will be picking this up soon.

Users who are viewing this thread