What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official**** Knitting Thread (2 Viewers)

I watched pretty much all of the UCONN game. They looked very impressive against what I thought would be a tough LSU team, but that game was over pretty much after the half way point of the first half. I didn't watch the Duke game because I had no interest in seeing it. A buddy of mine did send me a text though and he said Doug Gotleib ripped on Duke at the half saying they once again have some players that are unathletic. Very unathletic and that will hurt them down the road. Since I couldn't care less about watching a Duke game I can't comment on them one way or another.

I watched pretty much all of the UCONN game. They looked very impressive against what I thought would be a tough LSU team, but that game was over pretty much after the half way point of the first half. I didn't watch the Duke game because I had no interest in seeing it. A buddy of mine did send me a text though and he said Doug Gotleib ripped on Duke at the half saying they once again have some players that are unathletic. Very unathletic and that will hurt them down the road. Since I couldn't care less about watching a Duke game I can't comment on them one way or another.
Weird. I find Tar Heel games riveting. It also informs my comments about their play. YMMV, I guess.

Weird. I find Tar Heel games riveting. It also informs my comments about their play. YMMV, I guess.
I don't watch them this early in the season. I generally wait until conference play. Plus, I was watching the Mavs game tonight. I'll probably watch some of the game on Friday night because they are playing UCONN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gophers win by 9 over Butler and it wasn't nearly that close. Seriously, Minnesota was in a completely different class than Butler. I don't know if that means Minnesota is that good or Butler is that overrated, but I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.

In any case, great win for the Gophers. They get the winner of UCLA/Portland tomorrow (hoping it's UCLA).

I'm back.

I went to the UK v. UConn game at MSG. I nearly had six heart attacks. John Wall is absurd. I love Patrick Patterson. I love you all for keeping the knitting alive and well.

this Texas - UNC starting out a little ugly. There may be something to that "dome perception" shooting you hear about.

Some white guy from BYU named Jimmer Fredette scored 49 points on 23 FGAs against Arizona tonight: 8-for-9 on ones, 7-for-10 on twos, 9-for-13 on threes. He also had 9 assists and 7 rebounds. BYU won by 30 on Arizona's home floor.

I think this is all a ploy by Arizona to get favorable betting lines during conference play.

Marquette had two tough losses this week. Losing by one to West Virginia and then blowing it today against Nova. Ol Buzz must be fuming right about now. His young team though is going to be good next year.

Duke's Jon Scheyer has gaudy statistics that rival this season's expected standard-bearers for point guards — John Wall of Kentucky and Sherron Collins of Kansas. How they stack up:

Player Min. Pts. Assists FG 3FG FT Turnovers

Collins 30.5 15.1 4.1 48.40% 41.80% 83.70% 1.9

Scheyer 35.3 19.7 6.2 46.20% 43.20% 91.50% 1.4

Wall 33.5 17.2 7.3 51.90% 39.40% 78.60% 4.1

I don't think anyone, Duke fans included, saw this kind of year coming from Jon Scheyer. Its been nothing short of amazing.

Marquette has 6 losses this year and they've lost by a total of 19 points. Talk about some tough losses. Take out the Wisconsin loss and their other 5 losses have been by a total of 10 points. I feel bad for my old high school teammate, Buzz Williams.

Really good game tonight in the Big XII. Texas traveling to Manhattan, Kansas to play the Wildcats. Texas escaped against a scrappy Aggies team on Saturday. This team is so loaded, but this could be the game they get upset. I can't wait.

Really good game tonight in the Big XII. Texas traveling to Manhattan, Kansas to play the Wildcats. Texas escaped against a scrappy Aggies team on Saturday. This team is so loaded, but this could be the game they get upset. I can't wait.
It is going to be a LOUD crowd in Manhattan. Classes started last week at K-State, so the students are all back. There were no classes today, so the student section spent all day preparing for the game. The upper deck at Bramlage hangs over the lower seats a little (not quite as pronounced as that upper level at Okie State that is practically over the sidelines of the court, but it's a distinct upper deck), so the noise stays by the court. I'm curious to see what K-State does tonight. They don't strike me as a top 10 team at all, but they have a bunch of blowout wins. Both teams like to keep the ball moving up and down the floor, and neither team minds contact. Usually that favors the home team a little, especially in front of a hot crowd. Pomeroy has the game 82-81 K-State. I think Texas wins a close one, but I do think it will take at least 80 to win.

OK. So neither team will sniff 80. I don't care. This has been a great game. Love the intensity from both teams.

I'm rooting for an OT game, if only to see how the Big XII refs would handle the situation if both head coaches have an aneurysm while the ball is in play.

It is going to be a LOUD crowd in Manhattan. Classes started last week at K-State, so the students are all back. There were no classes today, so the student section spent all day preparing for the game. The upper deck at Bramlage hangs over the lower seats a little (not quite as pronounced as that upper level at Okie State that is practically over the sidelines of the court, but it's a distinct upper deck), so the noise stays by the court. I'm curious to see what K-State does tonight. They don't strike me as a top 10 team at all, but they have a bunch of blowout wins. Both teams like to keep the ball moving up and down the floor, and neither team minds contact. Usually that favors the home team a little, especially in front of a hot crowd. Pomeroy has the game 82-81 K-State. I think Texas wins a close one, but I do think it will take at least 80 to win.
It's going to be a fun semester :thumbup:

I was talking a little bracketology and site assignments with some CBB fans today.

Google Map of the NCAA tourney sites

The assumption preseason for KU was OKC in the opening rounds, and STL for the regionals. With Kentucky proving legit, it's doubtful the STL region is available for anyone else.

So who do you think gets the #1 seeds, and where to they go?

STL: Kentucky

Salt Lake: Kansas

Houston: Texas

Syracuse: Villanova

IIRC, teams can't play on their home floor unless the Final Four is played there, so if Syracuse earns a #1 seed, there will be some shuffling.

Salt Lake City has the advantage of an arena shooting background instead of a dome, but the #1 seed runs the risk of running into BYU (a likely 4-5 seed that can't play on Sunday, so they can't go to STL or Houston) in Mormonville. Still, with so few good teams out west this year (Pac-10 may only get 3 bids, with only one in the top half; no MWC or WCC teams look like juggernauts), travelling out west to play a team from farther east won't be too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking a little bracketology and site assignments with some CBB fans today. Google Map of the NCAA tourney sitesThe assumption preseason for KU was OKC in the opening rounds, and STL for the regionals. With Kentucky proving legit, it's doubtful the STL region is available for anyone else. So who do you think gets the #1 seeds, and where to they go? STL: KentuckySalt Lake: KansasHouston: TexasSyracuse: VillanovaIIRC, teams can't play on their home floor unless the Final Four is played there, so if Syracuse earns a #1 seed, there will be some shuffling. Salt Lake City has the advantage of an arena shooting background instead of a dome, but the #1 seed runs the risk of running into BYU (a likely 4-5 seed that can't play on Sunday, so they can't go to STL or Houston) in Mormonville. Still, with so few good teams out west this year (Pac-10 may only get 3 bids, with only one in the top half; no MWC or WCC teams look like juggernauts), travelling out west to play a team from farther east won't be too bad.
I would change Nova with Cuse. Syracuse is still one of the best teams I have seen play this year. I just like their toughness and composure. I don't see them getting thrown off their game at all. So I guess in that case it would probably be Texas and Cuse swapped.

I would change Nova with Cuse. Syracuse is still one of the best teams I have seen play this year. I just like their toughness and composure. I don't see them getting thrown off their game at all. So I guess in that case it would probably be Texas and Cuse swapped.
If Syracuse usually plays like they are right now, they're a #1 seed.

First Test of

tonight at South Carolina.Downy has been averaging an absurd 32 ppg in SEC play, but he's going to need some help tonight. Should be fun to watch him and Wall/Bledsoe.

UK with the top recruiting class again this year? And, a jump on next year?
This year...PG - Brandon KnightSG - Doron LambSF - Darius MillerPF - Terrance JonesC - Enes CanterBench:Deandre LigginsJosh HarrelsonStacey PooleJon HoodEloy VargasDodson?

Also, potential Bulls starting five:

PG - Rose

SG - Deng (can they play him here, or do they go after some cheap shooter?)

SF - Lebron

PF - Bosh

C - Noah

Gibson off the bench

Also, potential Bulls starting five:PG - RoseSG - Deng (can they play him here, or do they go after some cheap shooter?)SF - LebronPF - BoshC - NoahGibson off the bench
That's a pretty ugly team in terms of perimeter shooting. I don't think Deng would work there. He'd probably get shipped to Toronto in a S&T.

This year...PG - Brandon KnightSG - Doron LambSF - Darius MillerPF - Terrance JonesC - Enes CanterBench:Deandre LigginsJosh HarrelsonStacey PooleJon HoodEloy VargasDodson?
Knight, Kanter, and Jones would have made UK the #1 recruiting class. Adding Lamb and Poole just makes it silly good for UK. I like that the top five recruits (Knight-Lamb-Poole-Jones-Kanter) all can play at the smae time with no one out of position. UK did just fine with Wall and Bledsoe in the backcourt, but it also mant one of them was not playing their best position. I might have to rethink my desire for a UK-KU neutral site game this November/December. :goodposting: Too late to trade one of the Morris twins for Lamb?

Also, potential Bulls starting five:PG - RoseSG - Deng (can they play him here, or do they go after some cheap shooter?)SF - LebronPF - BoshC - NoahGibson off the bench
That's a pretty ugly team in terms of perimeter shooting. I don't think Deng would work there. He'd probably get shipped to Toronto in a S&T.
I know he wasn't worth the money DET threw at him, and re-signing him would have blocked the chance to get LeBron, but Ben Gordon would be almost perfect at SG with that starting lineup.

That's what I was thinking. Back in Feb or March I was hoping the Bulls would end up with Bosh and Joe Johnson, but now that Joe has effectively killed all parts of me that liked him I'm not sure what other effective outside shooters could be had. If Dirk and Lebron happened here that would be crazy in terms of matchups. No team could gaurd the 4 or 3 spot against them.

I know he wasn't worth the money DET threw at him, and re-signing him would have blocked the chance to get LeBron, but Ben Gordon would be almost perfect at SG with that starting lineup.
I had almost just typed that out. If they had signed Gordon to the extension and not Deng, who knew? Oh well.

Knight, Kanter, and Jones would have made UK the #1 recruiting class. Adding Lamb and Poole just makes it silly good for UK. I like that the top five recruits (Knight-Lamb-Poole-Jones-Kanter) all can play at the smae time with no one out of position. UK did just fine with Wall and Bledsoe in the backcourt, but it also mant one of them was not playing their best position. I might have to rethink my desire for a UK-KU neutral site game this November/December. :bag: Too late to trade one of the Morris twins for Lamb?
Yeah, Knight, Kanter and Jones are already projected first round picks for next year. I know its early, but that's still pretty crazy. Apparently Josh Harrelson tweeted yesterday after a pick up game that Kanter was the toughest player he's ever had to gaurd in the post. This kid played against Cousins, Patterson and Orton in practice last year. Cats fans are hoping Miller makes a leap this year and is consistently aggressive. Has there been any progression for a KU - UK nuetral site game? I would definitely try to make that game.

Yeah, Knight, Kanter and Jones are already projected first round picks for next year. I know its early, but that's still pretty crazy. Apparently Josh Harrelson tweeted yesterday after a pick up game that Kanter was the toughest player he's ever had to gaurd in the post. This kid played against Cousins, Patterson and Orton in practice last year.
This thread had Kanter identified as a top prospect early. (IIRC, TLEF had him pegged.) He's got that Euro footwork fundamentals, and has played in the States enough to know it gets rough-and-tumble here. I'm not super-high on him as a pro, but he should be a dominant college big.
Cats fans are hoping Miller makes a leap this year and is consistently aggressive. Has there been any progression for a KU - UK nuetral site game? I would definitely try to make that game.
AFAIK, Self and Calipari both want to play it. They pushed for last season's KU-Memphis game in STL before Calipari took the UK job. KU wants to play in STL again; there's a couple of 2011 guards in STL they are recruiting hard. They think Brad Beal (STL Chaminade, early FLA commit) is back in play because Austin Rivers (also an early FLA commit) re-opened his recruitment. Maybe now that KU knows what conference they will play in the next few years, they can get back to working on the basketball OOC schedule.

FA's I don't want the Bulls to sign for Max money:

Joe Johnson

Amar'e (although, Noah could make up for his defensive inadequecies)

Rudy Gay

Probably Boozer

It must be close to the start of the fall semester, because the stories about freshman not yet cleared to play are starting to surface.

Josh Selby has not been cleared by the NCAA yet, and since football season isn't enough of a distraction (1), the most unhinged of the Rock Chalk faithful are freaking out about it.

The concern about Selby isn't about academics. It's about his amateur status. He might already be a client of the agency that handles Carmelo Anthony's business affairs. The folks saying it's no big deal are saying Carmelo's business manager is a childhood friend of Selby's mother, and this business manager has known Selby since he was a little kid, so a pre-existing relationship existed, making any contact between Selby and this manager OK by NCAA rules.

The downside here is that once the NCAA starts looking closely at the recruitment of just about any top 20-30 national prospect, somebody somewhere gave the kid something he shouldn't have accepted under NCAA rules.

Maybe it's just an NCAA smokescreen so they can say they are taking agent stuff seriously. That said, last year Lance Stephenson had a website devoted to his story and basketball exploits that sold advertising space and the NCAA considered him an amateur. If that's the measuring stick, Selby will be playing.

In reading some of the discussion of this story, I read that Will Barton (Memphis recruit; IIRC, Selby's cousin) was not cleared yet, nor was Enes Kanter. That may have been old news, though.

(1) a few years ago while driving to Lawrence for the KU football home opener, the Lawrence radio station that carries KU sports for Lawrence/KC spent most of their air time talking about how exciting it was that Brandon Rush's eligibility concerns were settled, allowing him to play basketball as a freshman. Yes, this conversation dominated the KU sports airwaves two hours before kickoff of the KU football home opener.

Rumor has it that a certain elite PG in the class of 2011 may be wavering on his long standing commitment.

Nothing nearly official yet and the insiders on the Duke board wont even mention his name. But if it does go down, expect Duke and UNC (as well as every other program in the nation) to go balls out to get him.

Apparently this potential de-commitment is one of the main reasons why Quinn Cook doesn't have a Duke offer (and probably a UNC offer as well)

Rumor has it that a certain elite PG in the class of 2011 may be wavering on his long standing commitment. Nothing nearly official yet and the insiders on the Duke board wont even mention his name. But if it does go down, expect Duke and UNC (as well as every other program in the nation) to go balls out to get him.Apparently this potential de-commitment is one of the main reasons why Quinn Cook doesn't have a Duke offer (and probably a UNC offer as well)
Uh oh, Teague?

jeter23 said:
TLEF316 said:
Rumor has it that a certain elite PG in the class of 2011 may be wavering on his long standing commitment. Nothing nearly official yet and the insiders on the Duke board wont even mention his name. But if it does go down, expect Duke and UNC (as well as every other program in the nation) to go balls out to get him.Apparently this potential de-commitment is one of the main reasons why Quinn Cook doesn't have a Duke offer (and probably a UNC offer as well)
Uh oh, Teague?
no. That kid isn't going anywhere as long as UK didn't really pay Anthony Davis Sr. 200k

jeter23 said:
TLEF316 said:
Uh oh, Teague?
no. That kid isn't going anywhere as long as UK didn't really pay Anthony Davis Sr. 200k
So who we talkin' about?

Apparently Myck Kabongo isn't especially happy about how Texas' season went last year. Just rumblings at this point though.

Apparently Myck Kabongo isn't especially happy about how Texas' season went last year. Just rumblings at this point though.
That's the only PG who fits the profile: early commit, talented enough to the reshuffle the 2011 PG recruiting deck if he decommits, and not going to a program that would automatically turn him into a top 5 pick.

Users who are viewing this thread