What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Lord Stanley's Cup Playoff Thread: Getzlaf 15 charges four game 6 tickets, a limo, and five steak sandwiches to Cav's room. FBG CORNHOLE A (1 Viewer)

Who wins the 2017 Stanley Cup playoffs?

• Capitals

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Penguins

Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Habitants

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Rangers

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Bruins

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Senators

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Blue Jackets

• Blackhawks

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Predators

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Blues

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Wild

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Flames

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharks

• Oilers

• Ducks

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
That was a tough loss, but we should be able to take game 8 and force a game 9 at home. Feeling pretty good, honestly. Thought that may be the sake talking... 

Congrats to Ducks fans. Don't know if it will matter now that my Predators are going to win the cup but at least you made it this far.

I could totally see the Sens coming into Pittsburgh and stealing Game 1  with Pens coming off that huge series. 

I could also see Pens thrashing them soundly next 4 games after that.

People actually thought those chokers were going to win a Cup???? LMMFAO When will this place ever learn, Crapitals are a joke organization and ALWAYS WILL BE!! Jokevechkin just looks old and tired, a complete non factor 3rd line bum . Whole team is a bunch of Choking Dog wannabes that will never win ANYTHING...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Let's be honest.  Both of us know what I have to do here.

You've come to this page to see me write that the Capitals are — well, you know what they are.

And I have to write it, because I write it every year.

Because they do it every year.

Same old story: What's red, white and blue, and plays golf in April?

Excuse me, what's bronze, white and blue, and plays golf in April?

The Washington Capitals.

Choking Dogs.

I wrote it in small type, because this wasn't even one of their big chokes. As a historian of their gags, I don't put this in their top five. It doesn't rank with the 1987 foldo against the Islanders, when they lost the last three games — and Game 7 in four overtimes at home! Nor does it rank with the choke jobs against Pittsburgh in 1992 and '95, when they held 3-1 leads. I don't think it was as big a choke as the one in 1985, when a Caps team that had 101 points in the regular season blew a 2-0 lead, and lost three straight to the Islanders under the old, best-of-five format. I'll argue this wasn't as big a choke as in 1988, when the Caps lost three straight home games to the Devils.

But this was more than a hiccup.

I know all about the injuries. I know all about how Pittsburgh was a better team.

But the Capitals don't get off the hook simply because they lost to a better team — not when they put themselves in position to win. Individually, any one game may not have been choked, but collectively . . . .

The Caps were ahead 2-love in games and coming home! They had three of the next four at home, and they lost them all. In the critical Game 4, the game the Capitals absolutely, positively had to win to stay in the series, because they couldn't possibly depend on a team as good as Pittsburgh to lose three straight at home — the critical Game 4, the game the Capitals HAD to win to dispel the doubts, including their own — in that critical Game 4, the Caps held a two-goal lead, and lost slowly, agonizingly, in four overtimes.

Only a homer would say that's not choking.

You'd say it about Montreal, up 2-love, coming home.

It's the same with the Capitals. They had momentum, but they couldn't close. They couldn't push the puck past a second-string goalie. It's not what they gave up, it's what they didn't get.

Where the heck are the goal scorers?

(On other teams is where, right, David?)

Pittsburgh is allergic to defense. The Capitals outshot the Penguins 249-206. Shots, they got. If they had any real scorers besides Bondra, they would have won the thing.

Why can't the general manager bring in some scorers?

The Caps are gritty out of necessity. It's a virtue to work hard, but the Capitals have to out-work the other teams because management hasn't assembled enough gifted players to out-skate other teams.

You know, calling the Caps "Choking Dogs" used to be funny. But it isn't any more. Because it has been happening for 12 years. In nine of their past 12 playoffs the Capitals have either frittered away a substantial playoff lead or lost to a team they finished above in the regular season.

And it's not because of the Capitals' goalies.

It's because the Caps make everybody else's goalie look like Jacques Plante.

The coach of this team, Jim Schoenfeld, did a terrific job. He was outmanned and outgunned by Pittsburgh from here to the Pennsylvania border, yet he prepared his team so well they were able to win the first two games and stay competitive in two others. Considering all the injuries, Schoenfeld was like an Indy 500 mechanic who has to patch tires with bubble gum and spit. He's a keeper.

The Capitals' problem isn't the players they have — they tried their best — it's the players they don't have. The Messiers, the Lindroses, the Lemieuxs. The ones that can win Cups.

The GM brings in good players, but never great ones. The Caps have been treading water for years now; it appears it's getting harder and harder to bob above the surface.

The fans know this. They see the owner's money going to Chris Webber and Juwan Howard, and they question whether there's any left for comparable hockey talent. It doesn't look that way. It doesn't look as if the owner has made the same commitment to the Capitals as he has to the Bullets. (If he has, then what's the GM doing? Every year around the trading deadline, goal scorers start falling out of trees. How can the Caps be the only team that doesn't catch one?)

What it looks like is that the owner's happy to simply make the playoffs — first round and out is okay. That's why almost nobody in town believes in the Caps. That's why almost nobody in town thought the Capitals would actually win the series against Pittsburgh, even when they were ahead 2-0. Capitals fans have been conditioned by past failures to expect the worst, to expect: choking dogs.

The truth is that the blame lies with management more than with the players. The Capitals' organization has failed to improve this team. They fiddle while Rome burns.

Yesterday I was talking to a former Caps player, who told me of the torture of Game 4. He spoke of the crushing bad luck that always befalls the Capitals, from Pat LaFontaine to Petr Nedved. He spoke of Joe Juneau getting the first playoff overtime penalty shot in the whole history of the NHL, how Juneau had the series on his stick, and how, incomprehensibly, the puck began bouncing around like a Spaldeen and Juneau couldn't get off a shot. Bad luck. The former Cap looked at me with dark eyes, and asked plaintively, "Why can't they ever get some good luck?"

Good teams make their own good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
People actually thought those chokers were going to win a Cup???? LMMFAO When will this place ever learn, Crapitals are a joke organization and ALWAYS WILL BE!! Jokevechkin just looks old and tired, a complete non factor 3rd line him. Whole team is a bunch of Choking Dog wannabes that will never win ANYTHING...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

You've come to this page to see me write that the Capitals are — well, you know what they are.

The Washington Capitals.

Choking Dogs.

I wrote it in small type, because this wasn't even one of their big chokes. As a historian of their gags, I don't put this in their top five. It doesn't rank with the 1987 foldo against the Islanders, when they lost the last three games — and Game 7 in four overtimes at home! Nor does it rank with the choke jobs against Pittsburgh in 1992 and '95, when they held 3-1 leads. I don't think it was as big a choke as the one in 1985, when a Caps team that had 101 points in the regular season blew a 2-0 lead, and lost three straight to the Islanders under the old, best-of-five format. I'll argue this wasn't as big a choke as in 1988, when the Caps lost three straight home games to the Devils.

I know all about the injuries. I know all about how Pittsburgh was a better team.

But the Capitals don't get off the hook simply because they lost to a better team — not when they put themselves in position to win. Individually, any one game may not have been choked, but collectively . . . .

The Caps were ahead 2-love in games and coming home! They had three of the next four at home, and they lost them all. In the critical Game 4, the game the Capitals absolutely, positively had to win to stay in the series, because they couldn't possibly depend on a team as good as Pittsburgh to lose three straight at home — the critical Game 4, the game the Capitals HAD to win to dispel the doubts, including their own — in that critical Game 4, the Caps held a two-goal lead, and lost slowly, agonizingly, in four overtimes.

It's the same with the Capitals. They had momentum, but they couldn't close. They couldn't push the puck past a second-string goalie. It's not what they gave up, it's what they didn't get.

Pittsburgh is allergic to defense. The Capitals outshot the Penguins 249-206. Shots, they got. If they had any real scorers besides Bondra, they would have won the thing.

The Caps are gritty out of necessity. It's a virtue to work hard, but the Capitals have to out-work the other teams because management hasn't assembled enough gifted players to out-skate other teams.

You know, calling the Caps "Choking Dogs" used to be funny. But it isn't any more. Because it has been happening for 12 years. In nine of their past 12 playoffs the Capitals have either frittered away a substantial playoff lead or lost to a team they finished above in the regular season.

The coach of this team, Jim Schoenfeld, did a terrific job. He was outmanned and outgunned by Pittsburgh from here to the Pennsylvania border, yet he prepared his team so well they were able to win the first two games and stay competitive in two others. Considering all the injuries, Schoenfeld was like an Indy 500 mechanic who has to patch tires with bubble gum and spit. He's a keeper.

The Capitals' problem isn't the players they have — they tried their best — it's the players they don't have. The Messiers, the Lindroses, the Lemieuxs. The ones that can win Cups.

The GM brings in good players, but never great ones. The Caps have been treading water for years now; it appears it's getting harder and harder to bob above the surface.

The fans know this. They see the owner's money going to Chris Webber and Juwan Howard, and they question whether there's any left for comparable hockey talent. It doesn't look that way. It doesn't look as if the owner has made the same commitment to the Capitals as he has to the Bullets. (If he has, then what's the GM doing? Every year around the trading deadline, goal scorers start falling out of trees. How can the Caps be the only team that doesn't catch one?)

What it looks like is that the owner's happy to simply make the playoffs — first round and out is okay. That's why almost nobody in town believes in the Caps. That's why almost nobody in town thought the Capitals would actually win the series against Pittsburgh, even when they were ahead 2-0. Capitals fans have been conditioned by past failures to expect the worst, to expect: choking dogs.

The truth is that the blame lies with management more than with the players. The Capitals' organization has failed to improve this team. They fiddle while Rome burns.

Yesterday I was talking to a former Caps player, who told me of the torture of Game 4. He spoke of the crushing bad luck that always befalls the Capitals, from Pat LaFontaine to Petr Nedved. He spoke of Joe Juneau getting the first playoff overtime penalty shot in the whole history of the NHL, how Juneau had the series on his stick, and how, incomprehensibly, the puck began bouncing around like a Spaldeen and Juneau couldn't get off a shot. Bad luck. The former Cap looked at me with dark eyes, and asked plaintively, "Why can't they ever get some good luck?"

Best. Post. Ever. :excited: :excited:  

:wub:   when @Sheriff66 comes back!!!

Sheriff66 said:
Whole town was worried and I was over here like....WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT!!!
Hahaha, I bet you were! I was worried after that lethargic game six, but...

...WE DID IT!!!!1!1!!1!!!

Sheriff66 said:
Whole town was worried and I was over here like....WAIT FOR IT, WAIT FOR IT!!!
After game 5, you would have thought the Caps won the Cup. The Caps fans were happy humans at the Verizon Center. 

What does the design of the home of every Cap of the last generation have in common?

None of their houses have a kitchen. Because they just can’t stand the heat.

Getzlaf15 said:
LOL at Boudreau picking Caps to win tonight and Ducks breaking his Game 6/7 streak.   If I were the Wild, I'd fire him right now.
1 out of 2 ain't bad.   I have to mention as well that whatever Blues fans thought Yeo was "the man" now realize that he's a 1 series guy.

Hahaha, I bet you were! I was worried after that lethargic game six, but...

...WE DID IT!!!!1!1!!1!!!
I wasn't actually, all the pressure in the world was on them, home crowd made it worse, I loved our chances, Chokevechkin is a shell of his former self.

Northern Voice said:
Interesting thought I had during these games (well, after Washington was knocked out):

Who is the best goalie left in the playoffs? Are any of these guys even top ten in the league? Rinne has been but looked to be on the decline for large spans of the past two years. Pittsburgh arguably doesn't even know who their best goalie is. Anderson is really good and maybe underrated here. Gibson still has a lot to prove.
IMO

Rinne

Fleury (2nd by a slim margin)

Anderson

Gibson 

Pens/Anaheim.   Pens in 7.

Why?  Because Anaheim has been ###-raping me and my expectation forever.  They never look great, and when the time comes, they somehow seem to be unstoppable.  But, the front end of Pens top 2 lines is crazy.  How did they get all that firepower?

Northern Voice said:
They're a good team but there's nothing there that makes me want to go out of my way to watch them, like there obviously is with the Oilers. I can't say I watched much of Ducks/Flames, and I like the Flames. Plus you lose the possible Crosby/McDavid storyline. I just think in terms of pace, star power and intrigue it would be better with the Oilers (and anyone but the Sens) in the final 4.
Not a fan of Erik Karlsson? He sure is fun to watch in my book.

Sheriff66 said:
People actually thought those chokers were going to win a Cup???? LMMFAO When will this place ever learn, Crapitals are a joke organization and ALWAYS WILL BE!! Jokevechkin just looks old and tired, a complete non factor 3rd line bum . Whole team is a bunch of Choking Dog wannabes that will never win ANYTHING...WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

it just doesn't feel like summer until this gets posted

Northern Voice said:
Interesting thought I had during these games (well, after Washington was knocked out):

Who is the best goalie left in the playoffs? Are any of these guys even top ten in the league? Rinne has been but looked to be on the decline for large spans of the past two years. Pittsburgh arguably doesn't even know who their best goalie is. Anderson is really good and maybe underrated here. Gibson still has a lot to prove.
Matt Murray

Bill Brasky said:
love how Ovie is getting #### on when they all got robbed by MAF.  I guess it comes with the territory but man that guy could use a break.  vultures 
He is getting ripped because he was responsible for Pens Goal 1.  Puck went right by him.  Didn't even try.  Was too worried about getting a hit on someone that barely brushed him. Led to Pens having the advantage.  Then he was partly responsible for Goal 2.

But I don't really blame Ovi.  

I blame the coaching.  Trots was outcoached.  AGAIN. His playoff record is 39-50 with very talented teams.  To me, the guy has the players that can dominate the regular season just like he did in NSH.  But he can't make the adjustments that come in a playoff series where the other team has time to prepare.  Look, if the coaches were reversed, WSH would have won this series in 5 games.  He was also immensely outcoached against TOR, even moreso than against PIT.

And to a lesser extent I blame the Shattenkirk pickup. It messed up the lineup.  Shat is a good player.  He just didn't fit.  They needed a defender that could defend.  Not a reincarnation of Mike Green.

lol, and what exactly were those? is this where we start talking about intangibles? 
How deep do you want me to go?  it's not intangibles.  It's Xs and Os.

Actually, just read this link for the Xs and Os and how they are similar for Pens and Caps.  http://thesportsdaily.com/the-pensblog/pens-vs-caps-xs-os-breakdown-what-to-watch-for/

The Caps put their goalie under more pressure because of how they stretch the ice.  They give up more odd man rushes.  And WSH relies heavily on power play goals when they play quality opponents.  Those power plays don't work so well in the postseason when you get less and the other team is racheting up the power play defense. As stated in this article, essentially the team that protected the puck better was going to win this series.  And you can go game by game to see that was the case, and to see that PIT changed their D structure to force all the WAS shots form the outside when they were at even strength.  Trots should know 5 o 5 was where this game would be won or lost, and he needed to be more defensive minded rather than stretchng the D up ice (especially with how bad Shat and Orpik are at getting back) and giving up too many odd man rushes.  Essentially his strategy was the same as all year, but against a team like PIT (and TOR) that is asking Holtby to do too much.

any preds fans living in nashville have any idea of ticket prices if they make it to the cup?  pens fans in atl want to know. 

How deep do you want me to go?  it's not intangibles.  It's Xs and Os.
go ahead.  explain how a team that had a CF% over 60% and xGF% at 59% over 7 games against one of the other best teams in the league could have "made adjustments".  this is clearly on Trotz. 

He is getting ripped because he was responsible for Pens Goal 1.  Puck went right by him.  Didn't even try.  Was too worried about getting a hit on someone that barely brushed him. Led to Pens having the advantage.  Then he was partly responsible for Goal 2.
Not sure the coach was the story. I think Fleury was the main story, along with the sinking notion I get that I'd never want Ovie and Backstrom on my team as big-time guys in Game Seven. They looked kinda lost, scared, and timid. That's not intangibles, it's just the way they played. I don't know about clearing the puck with one hand for the second goal and Backstrom was just a nonentity. That's my take. Though Ovechkin got absolutely robbed and unlucky when it was 1-0.  

But really? Fleury. Fleury. Fleury. All series. 

Sheriff66 said:

The Washington Capitals.

Choking Dogs.

Oh Yeah! There he is!

Users who are viewing this thread