What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (3 Viewers)

It appears that the indy style promotion that focuses on "match quality" rather than incorporating long term booking and story telling has kind of a low ceiling.
It's the most frustrating thing about AEW.

The Hangman Saga was fantastic. They haven't had a storyline near so great since he won the championship at Full Gear 2021 and completed the storybook ending.

It all goes back to signing CM Punk in summer 2021.

It appears that the indy style promotion that focuses on "match quality" rather than incorporating long term booking and story telling has kind of a low ceiling.
It's the most frustrating thing about AEW.

The Hangman Saga was fantastic. They haven't had a storyline near so great since he won the championship at Full Gear 2021 and completed the storybook ending.

It all goes back to signing CM Punk in summer 2021.
Orrrrrr Hangman going into business for himself on a national broadcast... :p

Mike Bailey matches are good stuff. Lance Archer is one of our favorite big men to see live.

Great report!
Lance is one of my favorites to hangout with before and after shows. During the strong tours he was great. We talked a lot about football and he’s a very down to earth guy. First time I saw him live instantly became a fan despite seeing him do the NJPW tours and being in Suzuki gunn

Talent are apparently pissed about Scott D’Amores exit in TNA. Anthem may hand ****ed up big time. 2 different sources told me wouldn’t be shocked by mass exits in YNA as Scott has a ton of followers and support there. Wherever he goes expect talent to follow him

70 years ago, on 2-19-1954, Rikidōzan brought pro wrestling to Japan with his Japanese Pro Wrestling Association and their first tour.

Rikidōzan & Masahiko Kimura wrestled the Sharpe Brothers for the NWA Tag Team Championships to a 61-minute draw in the main event.

13k in attendance. It's said that 73% of all televisions in Japan watched the broadcast live.

Micheal Chandler was on RAW last night the mma guy. He called out Connor McGregor on raw. Not sure why they try this crap. The WWE fans who never saw MMA will look at it and might like it and then not watch WWE anymore.

The mma crowd are some of the most ignorant fans when it comes to wrestling. They’re the ones calling it fake, gay, soap opera etc. Look how many got triggered with Brock Lesnar success in UFC. All you are doing is taking fans away from the WWE product. Not only that but there’s a lot of good mma promotions out there someone might get interested and stop watching UFC and look elsewhere

Micheal Chandler was on RAW last night the mma guy. He called out Connor McGregor on raw. Not sure why they try this crap. The WWE fans who never saw MMA will look at it and might like it and then not watch WWE anymore.

The mma crowd are some of the most ignorant fans when it comes to wrestling. They’re the ones calling it fake, gay, soap opera etc. Look how many got triggered with Brock Lesnar success in UFC. All you are doing is taking fans away from the WWE product. Not only that but there’s a lot of good mma promotions out there someone might get interested and stop watching UFC and look elsewhere

Hate to break it to you, but this is going to be the new norm. With TKO owning WWE and UFC, they are going to want to get as much out of their resources as possible. Double dipping, crossing over, synergy, whatever you want to call it.

No doubt we will be seeing WWE superstars using the UFC platform to start, extend or change storylines. I personally need to see Seth Rollins in a Nick Cage Snake Eyes style jacket sitting front row at the next UFC card.

Hate to break it to you, but this is going to be the new norm. With TKO owning WWE and UFC, they are going to want to get as much out of their resources as possible. Double dipping, crossing over, synergy, whatever you want to call it.

No doubt we will be seeing WWE superstars using the UFC platform to start, extend or change storylines. I personally need to see Seth Rollins in a Nick Cage Snake Eyes style jacket sitting front row at the next UFC card.
My point is wrestling fans will go to MMA ufc you won’t see mma crowd going to wrestling

Chicago law firm Pintas & Mullins have launched a website "WWESettlements" with a contact form for anyone that was “sexually assaulted, made to feel uncomfortable, or witnessed abuse by Vince McMahon or anyone from WWE/UFC” adding that they may be entitled to compensation.

Chicago law firm Pintas & Mullins have launched a website "WWESettlements" with a contact form for anyone that was “sexually assaulted, made to feel uncomfortable, or witnessed abuse by Vince McMahon or anyone from WWE/UFC” adding that they may be entitled to compensation.
That could be a lot of people if you consider that those who watched WWE following the end of the Attitude Era was "made to feel uncomfortable and witnessed abuse by Vince McMahon".

My point is wrestling fans will go to MMA ufc you won’t see mma crowd going to wrestling
And my point is that doesn't matter. If they pull WWE eyes over to UFC, mission accomplished. Also, I think you will get a fair share of MMA to WWE. People like to be entertained in multiple different ways.

Cena just gave a worse response on McMahon situation than Trips did

"I don't think it's complicated to talk about. It's complicated to listen to. That's why I don't necessarily put a lot of time and equity into it, there’s still a long way to go.

I can say this, I’m a big advocate of love and friendship and honesty, and communication, in the same breath, I’m also a big advocate of accountability. If someone's behavior lies so far outside of your value system that the balance shifts of, 'I can't operate in a world where this works.' That's the end result of being accountable.

Right now, I’m gonna love the person I love, be their friend. 'I love you, you have a hill to climb.' There is the saying of, 'You don’t know who your friends are until **** hits the fan or your back is against the wall.' That doesn't make any of what's going on any easier to swallow. Just telling someone you love them, it’s a hill to climb, and we’ll see what happens.'”

-John Cena, on the Vince McMahon Lawsuit and allegations (via the Howard Stern Show)

Dwayne Johnson's Seven Bucks Productions will be making a film about the life of Ric Flair.

On the project, The Rock commented, "As a kid who grew up in professional wrestling, I idolized, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair. He was a hero to me. And once I broke into the wrestling business and began to spill my own sweat and blood - my reverence for Ric turned to respect. Because I realized just how rare and impossible it is to disrupt the wrestling business, culture and truly change the game - and that’s exactly what Ric Flair did. This project is personal, and we can’t wait to tell his unbelievable story. As always, “thank you for the house, Ric."

‼️ HUGE NEWS coming out of All Elite Wrestling ‼️

AEW has just announced former WWE writer and 3-time Emmy Award Winner Jennifer Pepperman as Vice President of Content Development of the company (AEW)

Pepperman recently left WWE after being a Senior Writer and Producer since 2017. Her primary focus recently had been the Women’s Division on Smackdown.

Pepperman will work beside TK. Her primary role will be development of content for live programming.

TK said the following statement:

“Adding Jennifer Pepperman’s brilliant mind to the AEW team opens the door for exciting new ideas and will help us build upon the incredible stories currently developing on the road to AEW Revolution across our three weekly shows on TBS and TNT, and the effects of Jennifer’s arrival in AEW will be felt for many years in the future.”

“We’re thrilled to welcome her today, and I look forward to her creativity and collaboration with our team across the board in what will be AEW’s biggest year yet, and beyond.”

Randy Orton comments on Vince McMahon’s current legal troubles:

“I’ve got to say this I wouldn’t be where I am without Vince McMahon taking a chance on me a handful of times, I would not be where I am today without Vince McMahon. But, f--k, I’m reading this sh--. What you’ve seen and read, I’ve seen and read. As far as commenting on that, it f-----g hurts my heart. It hurts my heart.”

Source: Sports Illustrated

This is awesome I’ll be there for this. It happens the Sunday of wrestlemania

The Briscoes will be inducted into the Independent Wrestling Hall of Fame on April 7th in Philadelphia.

As first announced during Wednesday nights AEW “Dynamite”, the annual ROH “Supercard of Honor” will take place on Friday, April 5th from Philadelphia’s Liacouras Center, with tickets on sale this Saturday.

"I don't think it's complicated to talk about. It's complicated to listen to. That's why I don't necessarily put a lot of time and equity into it, there’s still a long way to go.

I can say this, I’m a big advocate of love and friendship and honesty, and communication, in the same breath, I’m also a big advocate of accountability. If someone's behavior lies so far outside of your value system that the balance shifts of, 'I can't operate in a world where this works.' That's the end result of being accountable.

Right now, I’m gonna love the person I love, be their friend. 'I love you, you have a hill to climb.' There is the saying of, 'You don’t know who your friends are until **** hits the fan or your back is against the wall.' That doesn't make any of what's going on any easier to swallow. Just telling someone you love them, it’s a hill to climb, and we’ll see what happens.'”

-John Cena, on the Vince McMahon Lawsuit and allegations (via the Howard Stern Show)

I don't blame Cena. That is a very toe the line, let the investigation play out, condemn once you hear the verdict. If you go guns ablazin right now, and then we find out something else, not enough bricks in the world to rebuild that burnt bridge.

And I'm not saying Vince is innocent, odds are it's 99.99% true. But you have to get to the finish. And even the day he presumably stepped into prison, you are still going to hate Cena's response, because it will be one of PC comments, regardless of how much he might privately want to kill Vince.

I don't blame Cena. That is a very toe the line, let the investigation play out, condemn once you hear the verdict. If you go guns ablazin right now, and then we find out something else, not enough bricks in the world to rebuild that burnt bridge.

And I'm not saying Vince is innocent, odds are it's 99.99% true. But you have to get to the finish. And even the day he presumably stepped into prison, you are still going to hate Cena's response, because it will be one of PC comments, regardless of how much he might privately want to kill Vince.
It wasn’t the response persay but the non I don’t seem to care he did it. At least Orton responded with he was pretty disheartened to hear about it and felt sorry for the victims. I think Cena gave a company pr statement

‘Brock Lesnar is in WWE2K24, but you won’t be able to play as him.’

‘Multiple sources have told Insider Gaming that while it was too late to fully remove Lesnar from the game, the plan shifted to simply make him unplayable for players upon release.’

‘Despite being unplayable, his character and game files are still within WWE 2K24. That means there will be ways for those with the ability to get him to become playable, it’ll just take some work to make it happen.’

PWInsider reports AEW plans to run a PPV at Arthur Ashe Stadium in NYC. They've reportedly had this event planned since 2023.

That would make it the first AEW PPV in NYC proper. Worlds End was held in Long Island, NY right outside NYC.

It wasn’t the response persay but the non I don’t seem to care he did it. At least Orton responded with he was pretty disheartened to hear about it and felt sorry for the victims. I think Cena gave a company pr statement

Orton is an individual who could stop working today and he would be able to take care of his family and his family's families. He would be fine. And while Cena is worth 10x what Orton is worth, Cena is a company, a corporation. He has whole groups of people and their livelihood tied to him not doing anything stupid. Not getting cancelled. That forces you to say things that sound like they are coming from a PR rep. I have no doubt we would all do the same in his position.

AEW has just announced former WWE writer and 3-time Emmy Award Winner Jennifer Pepperman as Vice President of Content Development of the company (AEW)

Pepperman recently left WWE after being a Senior Writer and Producer since 2017. Her primary focus recently had been the Women’s Division on Smackdown.

Pepperman will work beside TK. Her primary role will be development of content for live programming.

“Adding Jennifer Pepperman’s brilliant mind to the AEW team opens the door for exciting new ideas and will help us build upon the incredible stories currently developing on the road to AEW Revolution across our three weekly shows on TBS and TNT, and the effects of Jennifer’s arrival in AEW will be felt for many years in the future.”

“We’re thrilled to welcome her today, and I look forward to her creativity and collaboration with our team across the board in what will be AEW’s biggest year yet, and beyond.”
Yep this could be a significant sign that TK is willing to bring someone in with experience in writing for a wrestling show to work in creative, but only to the extent she is given some autonomy/voice in the room.

If he's just handing her his dog eared booking notebook from when he was 13 and telling her "we're on page 43..." :bag:

I hope this reflects a shift in booking attitude in AEW

Yep this could be a significant sign that TK is willing to bring someone in with experience in writing for a wrestling show to work in creative, but only to the extent she is given some autonomy/voice in the room.

If he's just handing her his dog eared booking notebook from when he was 13 and telling her "we're on page 43..." :bag:

I hope this reflects a shift in booking attitude in AEW

I need someone to write and publish that notebook.

Wrestling Observer Newsletter 2023 awards: (FULL LIST OF WINNERS)

• Wrestler of the Year: Will Ospreay
• Most Outstanding: Will Ospreay
• Tag Team of the Year: FTR
• Best on Interviews: Eddie Kingston
• Promotion of the Year: WWE
• Best Weekly TV Show: AEW Dynamite
• Match of the Year: Kenny Omega vs Will Ospreay - Wrestle Kingdom 17
• United States/Canada MVP: Cody Rhodes
• Koichi Yoshizawa Award/Japanese MVP: Will Ospreay
• Mexico MVP: Místico
• Europe MVP: Will Ospreay
• Hodge Award/Non-Heavyweight MVP: El Hijo del Vikingo
• Women's Wrestling MVP: Rhea Ripley
• Best Box Office Draw: Roman Reigns
• Feud of the Year: Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens vs Bloodline
• Most Improved: Julia Hart
• Most Charismatic: MJF
• Bryan Danielson Award/Best Technical Wrestler: Bryan Danielson
• Bruiser Brody Memorial Award/Best Brawler: Jon Moxley
• Best Flying Wrestler: El Hijo del Vikingo
• Most Overrated: SANADA
• Most Underrated: Chad Gable
• Rookie of the Year: Yuma Anzai
• Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis
• Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
• Worst Television Announcer: Booker T
• Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Revolution
• Worst Major Wrestling Show: WWE Crown Jewel
• Worst Television Show: NWA Powerrr
• Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE enabling Vince McMahon and him being back in power/TKO keeping him in position of power
• Best Wrestling Maneuver: Will Ospreay's Hidden Blade
• Worst Worked Match of the Year: Bray Wyatt vs LA Knight - Royal Rumble
• Worst Feud of the Year: MJF vs The Devil
• Worst Promotion of the Year: NWA
• Best Booker: Paul Levesque
• Promoter of the Year: Nick Khan
• Best Gimmick: Timeless Toni Storm
• Worst Gimmick: The Devil
• Best Pro Wrestling Book: The Last Real World Champion by Tim Hornbreaker
• Best Pro Wrestling Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring - Chris and Tammy

I knew a few people who were at this show. Took me ss but before I got there myself

On February 23, 2002, Ring of Honor held its first show in Philadelphia, PA called “The Era of Honor Begins”.

The main event was a 3-way between Bryan Danielson, Low-Ki and “Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels.

Tama Tonga has now had his final match as a member of the New Japan Pro Wrestling roster.

There are no longer any original Bullet Club members operating full time in NJPW

Some entertaining matches and moments @ EC, but stunningly predictable outcomes.
I was off and had no motivation for this like other shows this early. Coworker who works early asked him about the show as he didn’t have work till 9 said it was too predictable a few entertaining moments and if I wanted to just watch the good parts could probably do so in under an 1 hr

Tokyo Sports reports Giulia is leaving STARDOM when her contract expires next month and will likely join Rossy Ogawa's new promotion

Full season pass

Here’s the full season pass including dates

DLC 1: ECW Punk Pack - May 15th

CM Punk

Bubba Ray Dudley

D-Von Dudley

Sandman

Terry Funk

MyFACTION Content:

ECW Paul Heyman Manager Card

Superstar Cards

DLC 2: Post Malone & Friends Pack - June 26

Post Malone

Sensational Sherri

Mosh

Thrasher

Honky Tonk Man

Jimmy Hart Manager

MyFACTION Content:

Superstar Cards

DLC 3: Pat McAfee Pack - July 24

Pat McAfee

Playable co-hosts - stay tuned for more info!

MyFACTION Content:

Co-Host Manager Cards - stay tuned for more info!

Superstar Cards

DLC 4: Global Superstars Pack - Sep 20

Jade Cargill

Nia Jax

Michelle McCool

Carlito

Kairi Sane

Lyra Valkyria

Dragon Lee

MyFACTION Content:

Superstar Cards

DLC 5: WCW Pack - Nov 13