What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rush Thread*** Neil Calls It A Career, Not Official. (1 Viewer)

The two new songs - "Caravan" and "BU2B" - are out now, and both freaking rock. Some of the vocal melodies are gonna be slow growers, but the boys are instrumentally clicking on all cylinders. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are coming to Omaha. I have dropped a number of hints that this would be an ideal birthday present. Pretty sure they are already purchased...my daughter's boyfriend is trying to get (back) on my good side.

The two new songs - "Caravan" and "BU2B" - are out now, and both freaking rock. Some of the vocal melodies are gonna be slow growers, but the boys are instrumentally clicking on all cylinders. :unsure:
These songs kick some serious ###. Not sure which one I like better. Musically, Caravan hit me right away (especially the beginning and the jam/solo section), but I had to listen to BU2B a few times and I like it more each time I listen to it. Like that they brought the synths back....they complement the heavy riffs very well.I have been on TheRushForum.com, and the feedback has been overhwhelmingly positive.Wasn't sure if they were going to top the material on Snakes and Arrows (which is in my top 8 favorite Rush records)....but I think they did here.

It is still way too early for me to say how good these songs are compared to Rush songs I have been listening to for years already, but I like them both a lot.

Will be interesting to see how good Clockwork Angels is as a whole when it is completed and then released next year. If they can top S&A, which is a borderline top 10 Rush record in my eyes, I will be very happy. :unsure: :thumbup:

It is still way too early for me to say how good these songs are compared to Rush songs I have been listening to for years already, but I like them both a lot.

Will be interesting to see how good Clockwork Angels is as a whole when it is completed and then released next year. If they can top S&A, which is a borderline top 10 Rush record in my eyes, I will be very happy. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Oh yeah....I agree. I love the new tunes big time. I was blown away and did not expect this!! They are on fire. I don't know how I feel about hearing and having 2 new songs and now have to pine for a long time for the new album....oh well.

I also felt Snakes and Arrows was their best effort since Power Windows/Hold Your Fire. A complete album.....but the new stuff has me very excited we are going to get a heavy dark record. I love the dark, brooding style of Rush the most.

Musically, Caravan hit me right away (especially the beginning and the jam/solo section
Heard this and liked everything but the somewhat repetitive lyrics. Music was very tight.Is it just me or did Geddy's voice drop a notch lower?

Musically, Caravan hit me right away (especially the beginning and the jam/solo section
Heard this and liked everything but the somewhat repetitive lyrics. Music was very tight.Is it just me or did Geddy's voice drop a notch lower?
Yep he went with a lower register for this tune. 10 days till The Time MAchine Tour kicks off in New Mexico!!!!Crap I have to wait till October for my 2 shows on this tour....so I will not peak at the setlist. can't do it!!!

Interesting set list, to say the least. The absence of "Jacob's Ladder," which Alex Lifeson said they would be playing, is glaring and, frankly, pretty disappointing, but oh well. It is great, however, to see "Marathon" back, and having two Counterparts songs again is wonderful, even with "Stick It Out" being one of them. And they could play "La Villa Strangiato" all night and I would be happy, so kudos on that being back after taking the S&A tour off. :excited: :lmao:

I don't know if this has been discussed, but this tour will have them playing Moving Pictures in its entirety. ;)

Set list...

SET 1

THE SPIRIT OF RADIO

TIME STAND STILL

PRESTO

STICK IT OUT

WORKIN' THEM ANGELS

LEAVE THAT THING ALONE

FAITHLESS

BU2B

FREE WILL

MARATHON

SUBDIVISIONS

SET 2

TOM SAWYER

RED BARCHETTA

YYZ

LIMELIGHT

CAMERA EYE

WITCH HUNT

VITAL SIGNS

CARAVAN

LOVE 4 SALE

CLOSER TO THE HEART

2112 OVERTURE / TEMPLES

FAR CRY

ENCORE

LA VILLA STRANGIATO

WORKING MAN

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I think the pacing of that first set is somewhat of a head-scratcher (aside from the three obvious classics and the awesome tune coming back that is 2nd to last in the first set), but the second set and encore will rule.

Not sure if or when it is gonna air on television again, but it is only $19.99 for the whole ball and wax, bonus material included. The television viewings don't include the bonus stuff; the 12-minute footage of them having dinner at the lodge alone makes the purchase worthwhile. I can never get over how silly and funny Lerxst is. :cool:

Not sure if or when it is gonna air on television again, but it is only $19.99 for the whole ball and wax, bonus material included. The television viewings don't include the bonus stuff; the 12-minute footage of them having dinner at the lodge alone makes the purchase worthwhile. I can never get over how silly and funny Lerxst is. :hot:
Who's gonna clean all those typewriters?!?

I think the pacing of that first set is somewhat of a head-scratcher (aside from the three obvious classics and the awesome tune coming back that is 2nd to last in the first set), but the second set and encore will rule.
I cracked and looked. The Setlist is very strong. A couple of why are they playing this over this and the absence of JL is huge to me becuase Alex was quoted.But I am over it. This tour is going to be epic. Camera Eye, Marathon, La Villa the new songs. It's all good. Jacobs Ladder makes it's return next year.

I cracked and looked. The Setlist is very strong. A couple of why are they playing this over this and the absence of JL is huge to me becuase Alex was quoted.But I am over it. This tour is going to be epic. Camera Eye, Marathon, La Villa the new songs. It's all good. Jacobs Ladder makes it's return next year.
BTW, the tour isn't coming to Charlotte, so enjoy everyone. I will have to wait until next year.While I like the setlist (All of Moving Pictures :goodposting: ), but it seems short. Only 25 songs including the drum solo. They omitted a lot of albums - FBN, COS, GUP, RTB, TFE, VT. I thought that they played about 30 songs. Here was the Brazil Show for Vapor Trails.Tom SawyerDistant Early WarningNew World ManRoll The BonesEarthshineYYZThe PassBravadoThe Big MoneyThe TreesFreewillCloser to the HeartNatural ScienceOne Little VictoryDrivenGhost RiderSecret TouchDreamlineRed Sector ALeave That Thing AloneDrum SoloResist2112 Overture/TemplesLimelightLa Villa StrangiatoThe Spirit of RadioBy Tor and the Snow DogCyngus X-1 Working ManThat's 29 songs.

They play for about 2 1/2 hours now, which is why there are a few less songs. The boys are getting old, so they probably can't go all night like they used to (insert joke here :P ). It is funny, though...if you look at the first tour they did the "Evening With...." format, back in '96/'97 on the TFE tour, the first set was an absolute monster. Now, it is usually 11 songs and just under an hour.

The shows still go 8-11, but when you factor in the 20-minute intermission between sets, and the intros to each set, it comes about to around 150 minutes of music.

Saw their show this past Saturday....in Toronto.

Drove there specifically to see them play at home, and was psyched. Men and women of all ages/races -- everyone geared up. :shrug:

Seeing them play The Camera Eye was special. :lmao:

The documentary = :lmao: :)
Missed the documentary when it was aired on VH1 Classic and Palladia.Anyone know when it will air again - really want to see it, but trying to avoid shelling out the coin.
Looks like it is on Palladia here in the Philly area at 10 PM tonight...can't wait to see it.
Just a quick run down of times and channelsTonight 10:00pm PalladiaMonday 4:00pm PalladiaThursday 1:00am Palladia8/15/2010 7:00pm VH1cl8/20/2010 8:30pm VH1clall times are Eastern

Early bday gift from the Mrs.

She got us 2 tix to see them at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA.

Can't wait. :pickle:

It'll be the first time I've seen them since, jeez, maybe Roll The Bones (1991) and before that I saw them for every tour since Signals.

I was even at that epic Radio City Music Hall concert between...was it Signals and GUP?...where Neil first debuted the drumset-in-the-round

setup. It was before he got his rotating drum platform so there were some songs where he played with his back to the audience. Amazing show.

Anyway, can't wait for this one since it's been so long.

Early bday gift from the Mrs.She got us 2 tix to see them at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA.Can't wait. :confused: It'll be the first time I've seen them since, jeez, maybe Roll The Bones (1991) and before that I saw them for every tour since Signals.I was even at that epic Radio City Music Hall concert between...was it Signals and GUP?...where Neil first debuted the drumset-in-the-roundsetup. It was before he got his rotating drum platform so there were some songs where he played with his back to the audience. Amazing show.Anyway, can't wait for this one since it's been so long.
Enjoy the show!!!Less than 8 weeks away from my Rush weekend!

The Shorerline show last night was great. Not a weak spot in the whole set list and hearing ALL of Moving Pictures in order was phenomenal! My buddy and I were dying to see Camera Eye live and it didn't disappoint. We both looked at each other when we notice that Neil started a measure on the hihat but then quickly switched over to the ride cymbal (I'm a drummer and we're both musicians so we notice that kind of stuff). It was nice to see that Neil is actually human and not a machine :yes:

There were hilarious video bits at the beginning, middle and end of the show. All really funny and make sur you stay till after the end of the show for the final video bit. Good stuff.

Finally, the new 'look' of the stage set up was 'steam punk'. I had no idea that was coming when they unveiled the stage but, man, did it look excellent. Neil's drum kit in brown with copper hardware. Alex and Geddy with giant fake retro time machine stuff behind them (in place of the old washer machines :) ). Just a beautiful, well-designed stage look. Glad Neil finally went away from that very-80's-looking brass hardware with red drums.

Oh yeah, those dudes can play their instruments pretty well too :lmao:

I was at the Shoreline show as well. Exquisite sound. One of the best sounding Rush concerts I've ever been to. Excellent set! New, old and everything in between.

I was at the Shoreline show as well. Exquisite sound. One of the best sounding Rush concerts I've ever been to. Excellent set! New, old and everything in between.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
You must've had seats up front cuz I was going to say that the only bad thing about the show was the sound. sound for outdoor shows is always iffy. I was back up on the grass and the treble would change all the time depending on the direction of the wind.

Still absolutely loved the show though!

The Shorerline show last night was great.
I was at this show, as well.So this happened: my buddy and I were walking into the Shoreline Amphitheater, and a lady was selling "mushrooms and roll ups." Being familiar with most drug terminology, I had never heard of roll ups. Did she mean fruit roll ups? 'Cause those are delicious!Anyway, we're enjoying the show, and there's this sloppy, sweaty, intoxicated guy in front of us. He's falling over on his friends, almost whacking the guy behind him. We placed even odds that he'd either throw up on someone, fall into the next row, or get punched out. After watching this idiot for a couple hours, we discerned that he was high on fruit roll ups.

I was at this show, as well.So this happened: my buddy and I were walking into the Shoreline Amphitheater, and a lady was selling "mushrooms and roll ups." Being familiar with most drug terminology, I had never heard of roll ups. Did she mean fruit roll ups? 'Cause those are delicious!Anyway, we're enjoying the show, and there's this sloppy, sweaty, intoxicated guy in front of us. He's falling over on his friends, almost whacking the guy behind him. We placed even odds that he'd either throw up on someone, fall into the next row, or get punched out. After watching this idiot for a couple hours, we discerned that he was high on fruit roll ups.
Sorry about that. I used to be able to hold my fruit roll ups better when I was in college.

Sorry about that. I used to be able to hold my fruit roll ups better when I was in college.
I'm fairly certain this guy doesn't have a Picasso avatar.

Matisse, but close enough I guess ;)

Matisse, but close enough I guess :yes:
Dammit! :hot:

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();
You must've had seats up front cuz I was going to say that the only bad thing about the show was the sound. sound for outdoor shows is always iffy. I was back up on the grass and the treble would change all the time depending on the direction of the wind.

Still absolutely loved the show though!

Yep, I was 8th row, seat 14. Right in front of Neil's kit. The sound was crystal clear. Usually, Rush is extremely loud, too much volume isn't always a good thing. It was nice that they didn't turn everything up to 11.

Wednesday September 8th is Rush Hashanah on VH1 Classic. It starts @ 7:00pm EST with Beyond the Lighted Stage, @ 9:30pm Classic Album will breakdown Moving Pictures @10:30pm That Metal Show rerun w/ Rush then it's Rush in Rio. Beyond... is on at 2:00am again followed by That Metal Show and then R30. This will continue, in some form until 7:00pm Thursday. Too bad they could not air the Colbert report.

Wednesday September 8th is Rush Hashanah on VH1 Classic. It starts @ 7:00pm EST with Beyond the Lighted Stage, @ 9:30pm Classic Album will breakdown Moving Pictures @10:30pm That Metal Show rerun w/ Rush then it's Rush in Rio. Beyond... is on at 2:00am again followed by That Metal Show and then R30. This will continue, in some form until 7:00pm Thursday. Too bad they could not air the Colbert report.
That is hilarious. :lmao: I've seen just about all of the Classic Album shows - didn't know they did Moving Pictures. Gotta check that out.

That is hilarious. :lmao: I've seen just about all of the Classic Album shows - didn't know they did Moving Pictures. Gotta check that out.
Yeah really look forward to that (classic albums). I have BTLS on blueray and it is an awesome rock doc. So well done and the hour of extras are great too.

Also read a great interview with Alex and he talked about their forthcoming Clockwork Angels. It is a concept album and the title track is turning into a new long Rush epic accroding to Alex! There will be 12 new songs (each representing the number on a clock). The tour will be much more extensive in 2011 in support of the new album. What a great time to be a Rush fan!!!

Less than 30 days from my Rush weekend!!!

:wub: bump

My wife took me to the Omaha show on the 25th of August. Figured my favorite band, on my 40th birthday, within a 2 hour drive was as close to a sign from God as I was going to get. Simply awesome.

Other shows seen: Hold Your Fire/Omaha and Roll the Bones/Omaha (a little late to the party, but really love the older stuff)

To this day, any time I hear a song from Hold Your Fire, I go right back to my senior year in high school driving around in my car (to the point where I can even smell the autumn leaves).

Wednesday September 8th is Rush Hashanah on VH1 Classic. It starts @ 7:00pm EST with Beyond the Lighted Stage,
wow, what an awesome documentary. Some great early footage and loved the interviews with their parents. Very interesting when they talked about the weight of making Hemispheres and how it lead to the open sound of Permanent Waves. I was surprised they addressed losing a part of their fan base, myself included, when they went the electronic route with Signals.While I didn't follow them past Grace Under Pressure it's great to see the boys still out there and having a good time.

Agree, it's a great documentary. Some cool lines

"I didn't think he was cool enough to be in this band".....Alex regarding Neil's audition to be in the band.

"Are they gay? No. Farm animals.....no.............what the F did you do when you went back to your hotel room".....Gene Simmons on the guys in Rush never getting laid on tour.

"La Villa Strangiato was the benchmark of drumming when I was a kid.....I can play YYZ, but can you play La Villa Strangiato?" Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater.

"I don't put on Caress of Steel that often when my wife around".....Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters

"You haven't been inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Any chance your next album title will be "That's BS""......Stephen Colbert

What was amazing was how hard they worked on the Hemispheres album.....but thank god they did :lmao:

Also some of the negative reviews the band got in 1976 were laughable.

Users who are viewing this thread