What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (2 Viewers)

My power went out just long enough to reboot my cable box, had to wait a couple of hours to see the last eight minutes on the repeat.  :jawdrop:

Or the Abq Philharmonic or something like that - maybe he left Jimmy the money in his checking account, which was never more than a few thousand bucks - until that one fateful day...

"And to my beloved brother Jimmy, who was so fond of handling the small change at our parents' store, I leave the small change in my checking account."

Obviously Chuck was a smart dude, but was he so out of it that he was just so focused on turning off anything that resembled electricity that he didn't realize the lantern could start a fire?  

Im only asking this in the context of the check being cashed. If he didn't realize it, he may not have cashed the check yet. 

If he did know what he was doing and didn't cash it, that meant he still wanted to save the firm. 

But im guessing we'll never know

Obviously Chuck was a smart dude, but was he so out of it that he was just so focused on turning off anything that resembled electricity that he didn't realize the lantern could start a fire?  

Im only asking this in the context of the check being cashed. If he didn't realize it, he may not have cashed the check yet. 

If he did know what he was doing and didn't cash it, that meant he still wanted to save the firm

Of course he did; it was suicide

Not necessarily.  Cashing/not cashing was probably the furthest thing from his mind.

If he did know what he was doing and didn't cash it, that meant he still wanted to save the firm. 

He killed himself dude

Or the Abq Philharmonic or something like that - maybe he left Jimmy the money in his checking account, which was never more than a few thousand bucks - until that one fateful day...

"And to my beloved brother Jimmy, who was so fond of handling the small change at our parents' store, I leave the small change in my checking account."
That's why i think he's still alive, cuz his money would have gone to the NM Symphony Orchestra .- a much more prestigious organization than the APO - and saved it in '03, but it ended up going bankrupt.

Pretty crazy ending.  Showed exactly we he has to become Saul.

So what was the deal with him falling out at the Cinnabon at the beginning?  Wish they would have touched on this? 

No Mike?

I guess I dont get why Chuck went off the deep in so fast? 

I also dont get why Gus saved Hector and how he knows Nacho had a hand in it.

He burned the last of the good-will associated with the Jimmy McGill name, and I felt that was a satisfying start to him using the "Saul Goodman" moniker.

Going to be interesting how Jimmy/Saul gets involved with Gus.  Maybe something to do with Chuck's money?

My guess as to Pantherclub's hidden question:

I think Gus knows what he has with Hector and how to manipulate him.  He may even have an idea as to who would replace Hector and isn't comfortable with that replacement.  Or as a flip hypothesis, Gus may not have actually been trying to save him, maybe holding Hectors nose while he blew into his mouth, that kind of thing...looking like he's doing something, but actually making things worse.

Remember, Gus kept Mike from killing Hector.  There's a reason he wants Hector around.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason Gus was trying to save Hector is the same reason he wouldn't let Mike kill him.  He said earlier this season he wants Hector to to die a much more painful and slow death.  My spanish is rusty but I'm pretty sure he was saying "Don't die yet, #######" as he was giving him CPR.
It's what makes him such a fascinating character - Gus would have had no problem tying the Jefe to a chair, lancing his cojones with a boltcutter and cramming em down his throat, but not attempting CPR would have been indecent.

Did anyone else watch Talking Saul afterwards and see Nacho is Canadian??? I was stunned. And where has this been for 30 episodes?
I was a few minutes behind real time on my DVR so when it was over, Talking Saul was on.  Some interesting insights - they were definitely leaning towards one side of the "is Chuck dead" question even though nothing's been written yet for next season.  What was the Bradbury story Gould was talking about being the inspiration for Chuck tearing apart the house?  The Conversation?

My bad - Coppola's "The Conversation.

So did I miss something in this episode or a previous one?

how is gus on to Nacho?  The look he gave him at the first meeting and fit and then the last one in the finale?

I was a few minutes behind real time on my DVR so when it was over, Talking Saul was on.  Some interesting insights - they were definitely leaning towards one side of the "is Chuck dead" question even though nothing's been written yet for next season.  What was the Bradbury story Gould was talking about being the inspiration for Chuck tearing apart the house?  The Conversation?
The Conversation was a reference to this classic scene from the sneakygood 70s Coppola film. The story McKean referred to i dont know

I think Vince is getting a little full of himself.  I found this season very slow moving and annoying.  I think they could have covered everything in half of the episodes.

I didn't figure Chuck would go out like that.
 I found it somewhat unsatisfying, a little bit mundane in comparison to, and somewhat out of step with the show's (and its predecessor's) usual flavor.

Maybe he's not actually dead.

:shrug:

Tiger Fan said:

It was Jimmy that sent him into his tailspin. Given the beginning of the show I assumed he had some sort of major guilt going on on with Jimmy. Something made him crazy, he couldn't take it anymore, including the guilt or stress of living with Jimmy whom he could not defeat, so he killed himself and the lantern at the end was like the lantern at the beginning.

Too simple?

shadyridr said:
it was a very weak finale
Not really. It was a final homage to one of the most influential characters in this particular series to date. Pretty clear that this "sickness" of chucks is derived from his poor treatment of Jimmy and is what the main trigger point is. I think Chuck finally realizes this and cannot live with himself of how terrible he has been over the years.

If he just offed himself with only 5 minutes of screen time everyone would be in here saying "why would he kill himself he was fine". Think you needed to see the painful hopelessness of Chuck's situation as a backdrop for his final act.

It was Jimmy that sent him into his tailspin. Given the beginning of the show I assumed he had some sort of major guilt going on on with Jimmy. Something made him crazy, he couldn't take it anymore, including the guilt or stress of living with Jimmy whom he could not defeat, so he killed himself and the lantern at the end was like the lantern at the beginning.

Too simple?
It works, but Howard's the last link. Wife, brother, partner. Nobody...............................................................nobody left. Only the law left and the only place the law actually works is in his head.

I'm a loner like Chuck. Done my thing already, dont like doing justOK what i used to do great, can't spark anybody up but old fat chicks anymore - ick, nobody love me like I can. A 5-star holiday resort of mental constructs in my head, don't need anyone, so the semi-close ones i've allowed to fall away. Figured i'd spend a year or two helping my mom die right - been here 4 yrs already, mom didnt die, dad's lost his marbles, stuck with the husks of two people i've always loved but never liked. No compelling reason to get up - the necessary reasons are the butts to wipe & rants to interrupt of people who lost their value even longer ago than i did. I got my talent with thoughts & words and the massive inner scaffolding i've built from my interest in what makes people tick, but i could see a Schumann's note bringing it all crashing down.

(Howard) Peterman just bought all (Chuck) Kramers stories for 8mil, there's a current won't go out, no one to reach out to but a lantern. bye -

Users who are viewing this thread