What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (1 Viewer)

Accountability time! 2022 continues to be a very poor year on the health front. Nothing horrible has happened, I’m just in a big rut. At the beginning of the year I mentioned that I was dealing with left knee pain, and a week of rest turned into two which turned into six — the knee feels better at this point but still not 100%, which is a bit concerning.

Diet sorta fell off with my exercise, too. Still eating decent lunches and breakfasts, still avoiding fast food for the most part, but I’m having too much sugar and WAY too much booze. That needs to change ASAP.

I’m currently trying to work, finish a master’s degree, and find a new job all at the same time, so it’s been way too easy to just hit the snooze button and choose an extra hour of sleep over going on a morning run. And as one can imagine, exercising less + eating worse + drinking a ton has not been great for my mental health either — which makes it even tougher to get back into a healthy routine, and has contributed to my absence from the boards. I’m back in here though because it’s time to make my health a priority again. Going to start with a few small, immediate goals:

-Stretch / foam roll tonight
-Stretch / foam roll tomorrow night
-Run 3 miles Monday as slow as I need to

If my knee can hold up, that should be enough to start some positive momentum again. Hope everyone else is doing well — when I have more free time tonight I’ll try to go through and read everything I missed. 

This is like looking in a mirror.   It seems that every time I get into a good groove, an injury will derail the game plan.  I then find myself coddling a joint and playing a waiting game to return to a challenging level of activity.

Hope you can take something useful from these comments...

Why run three miles?  I get the goal oriented approach but maybe just walk for a week or two until you feel comfortable?  

Obviously, I don't know the root cause of your knee pain but stretching can be huge.  I've had a considerable number of (sometimes expensive) tests done and have been told by orthopedics and rheumatologists that my hamstrings, hips and IT band are extremely tight.  I have observed less discomfort in lower body joint when I'm actively stretching.  Maybe focus on this for a couple weeks before adding the high impact of running.  Even then, maybe start with something less than 3 miles?

H2O is your friend.  Find a substitute to the booze.  I'll dilute cranberry juice with water and maybe lime juice so its not quite so boring.  I usually sleep better without the alcohol and that's a win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's Adriene (Day 8 - Rest) was the type I absolutely despise.  Lots of breathing (including alternate-nostril breathing, which makes my nose run) and almost no movement, and of course the lack of movement equated to tons of chatter.  At some point when I realized we wouldn't be doing much, I just muted her.  Unlike in the past with such practices, I finished the whole damn thing anyway, but I didn't have to like it.
This one really was terrible. Alternative nostril breathing sucks for me too and the few stretches that helped me were so short that i just went rogue and did my own thing. First time I've ever done that but I think I might do that more often. 

Did day 9 back to back with that one... it was better and was only the second time i can remember that i genuinely couldn't do a pose.  Cat cow, lift your right knee up/back so it points straight back, still bent so calf/toes pointing up to the sky.  Lift your left arm forward then reach all the way back and grab your right ankle. I've always been pretty flexible even at my fattest, but I genuinely couldn't reach.  That's probably a sign that i need to do more yoga because this getting older thing isn't going to slow down. 

DropKick said:
This is like looking in a mirror.   It seems that every time I get into a good groove, an injury will derail the game plan.  I then find myself coddling a joint and playing a waiting game to return to a challenging level of activity.

Hope you can take something useful from these comments...

Why run three miles?  I get the goal oriented approach but maybe just walk for a week or two until you feel comfortable?  

Obviously, I don't know the root cause of your knee pain but stretching can be huge.  I've had a considerable number of (sometimes expensive) tests done and have been told by orthopedics and rheumatologists that my hamstrings, hips and IT band are extremely tight.  I have observed less discomfort in lower body joint when I'm actively stretching.  Maybe focus on this for a couple weeks before adding the high impact of running.  Even then, maybe start with something less than 3 miles?

H2O is your friend.  Find a substitute to the booze.  I'll dilute cranberry juice with water and maybe lime juice so its not quite so boring.  I usually sleep better without the alcohol and that's a win-win.
Really appreciate the comments. I was hoping to jump back in and do some 3-mile runs because pre-injury I was doing 4-5/day, and I had "only" been off for 6 weeks. Didn't go very well this morning, though. Was feeling pretty good after the first mile, and then the pain started. Had to shut it down after 2. 

It's funny you mention the hamstrings/hips/IT bands because I'm beginning to suspect those are playing a role in my knee problems too. That IT band started hurting about a minute before the knee pain kicked in this morning -- and afterwards my hamstring felt a little tight. Interesting. 

For the next 1-2 weeks at least, walking it is. I prefer running because the higher intensity helps me feel better afterwards, but walking is way better than doing nothing. Probably more sustainable, too -- this isn't the first time I've started/stopped running due to persistent knee problems. If the goal is to establish a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain indefinitely, walking may just be the way to go. 

Really appreciate the comments. I was hoping to jump back in and do some 3-mile runs because pre-injury I was doing 4-5/day, and I had "only" been off for 6 weeks. Didn't go very well this morning, though. Was feeling pretty good after the first mile, and then the pain started. Had to shut it down after 2. 

It's funny you mention the hamstrings/hips/IT bands because I'm beginning to suspect those are playing a role in my knee problems too. That IT band started hurting about a minute before the knee pain kicked in this morning -- and afterwards my hamstring felt a little tight. Interesting. 

For the next 1-2 weeks at least, walking it is. I prefer running because the higher intensity helps me feel better afterwards, but walking is way better than doing nothing. Probably more sustainable, too -- this isn't the first time I've started/stopped running due to persistent knee problems. If the goal is to establish a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain indefinitely, walking may just be the way to go. 
I'm not a 'yoga cures all' person at all, but you probably need to build up some flexibility and lean muscle in the core.  Yoga can help with that.  There's even a Yoga for runners video from our favorite yogi.  

Ate well yesterday and no booze.  One day at a time.

Did a 50-min yoga session today.  Think I'm going to bump my normal sessions up to 50-min.  I feel like for a normal practice that gets me a solid 30mins of fairly intense work, allowing for roughly 10 mins each for warmup and cool down.  

Will walk the dog later and eat well today.  

Keep up the good work!

I dropped out of the “lose weight in 2021” thread because I stopped exercising and started eating a crap ton of ice cream again. Gained almost 30 pounds back, after losing almost 40. But today I started a “boot camp” exercise class. I thought it would be motivating and fun. It was neither. I modified to my own ability and that was fine. But wow I’m so out of shape. I didn’t even realize all the things I can’t do anymore. Like hopping. Not full bore power jumping, just hopping. I’m like an elephant who can’t get any air at all. 
But I will go back on Thursday. Its 8 weeks total, twice a week. I thought maybe it would motivate me to walk and yoga again. And then maybe lay off the junk. 

Valentine’s Day 2022- 220lbs

Had a sharp twinge in my left heel 13 minutes in, but kept going. I mean, there's only so much damage you can do at 2 mph. It had mostly worked itself out a few minutes later.
I do this a lot. :bag:   seems to work though. My hike on Sunday was pretty painful for the first 15 minutes. Then everything loosened up. 

I dropped out of the “lose weight in 2021” thread because I stopped exercising and started eating a crap ton of ice cream again. Gained almost 30 pounds back, after losing almost 40. But today I started a “boot camp” exercise class. I thought it would be motivating and fun. It was neither. I modified to my own ability and that was fine. But wow I’m so out of shape. I didn’t even realize all the things I can’t do anymore. Like hopping. Not full bore power jumping, just hopping. I’m like an elephant who can’t get any air at all. 
But I will go back on Thursday. Its 8 weeks total, twice a week. I thought maybe it would motivate me to walk and yoga again. And then maybe lay off the junk. 

Valentine’s Day 2022- 220lbs
this #### ain’t easy.

Slow and steady, don’t hurt yourself.  If you’re consistent, which is really hard, it’s awesome to end up in a routine. You can do it!

We just got a Peloton because the wife wanted to cycle, but doesn’t like doing it this time of year because it gets dark so early. We’ve had it two days now and naturally I’ve used it twice and she hasn’t touched it. We have it in the garage, which is fairly cold this time of year, but I find I’m an absolute sweaty mess on the thing because of the lack of airflow you normally get on a bike. Can’t see myself using the thing at all in summer.

I’m back to being committed to 75 miles per week minimum on the bike, and have stuck to that for the last 4 weeks. So far I’m at 26, so have some work to do because I slacked on Monday and Tuesday. 

We just got a Peloton because the wife wanted to cycle, but doesn’t like doing it this time of year because it gets dark so early. We’ve had it two days now and naturally I’ve used it twice and she hasn’t touched it. We have it in the garage, which is fairly cold this time of year, but I find I’m an absolute sweaty mess on the thing because of the lack of airflow you normally get on a bike. Can’t see myself using the thing at all in summer.

I’m back to being committed to 75 miles per week minimum on the bike, and have stuck to that for the last 4 weeks. So far I’m at 26, so have some work to do because I slacked on Monday and Tuesday. 
I have a big tower fan in front of ours and it helps a lot. I am still a sweaty mess, but it would be unbearable without the fan.

Been eating healthy, got another 21 miles on the bike today. Strength is coming back and I’m noticing I’m back to setting PRs on uphill Strava segments, which feels good. Kids are going to be at the grandparents this weekend and my wife is on a ladies trip, so by default I have permission to get some big mountain bike rides in. 

I'm gross right now.  My new eyebrows meant I couldn't exercise for 14 days (I'm eight days in now), plus I'm eating and drinking horribly.  I put on jeans tonight to leave my house for an event* and they were tight and muffin-top-y.  

I hope I can start a better run tomorrow.  It's hard for me to keep up when I can't do yoga or put in my four miles a day of walking.  I think I could at least walk if I do it without "exercising."  Yoga will have to wait several more days.  Not having this to do has also made my diet GARBAGE.  

Any support here might help me.  This is tough right now.

I'm gross right now.  My new eyebrows meant I couldn't exercise for 14 days (I'm eight days in now), plus I'm eating and drinking horribly.  I put on jeans tonight to leave my house for an event* and they were tight and muffin-top-y.  

I hope I can start a better run tomorrow.  It's hard for me to keep up when I can't do yoga or put in my four miles a day of walking.  I think I could at least walk if I do it without "exercising."  Yoga will have to wait several more days.  Not having this to do has also made my diet GARBAGE.  

Why can’t you do yoga or walk?

new eyebrows?   :oldunsure:  

:whistle:

anyhoooo, you're a f'ing rockstar.  i'll see if i can find some ludicrous challenge to hike 7000 miles in 6 weeks.  challenge you to do it, cause duh, it helps cats in some way, and voila!!  

don't sweat it.  at least your inability to work out was a choice.  unlike my horribly sprained ankle.  which STILL bothers me.  months later  :hot:  

I haven’t rode outside in years. I had too many close calls with idiot drivers. I am sticking solely to the Peloton now. 

If there is a FBG group on the Peloton I would gladly join. 
There is a Strava group, and you can link Peloton rides to it.  Not sure about an actual Peloton group since I've only had the thing for 2 days.  The Strava group is mostly the folks in the 10k thread.

It took almost two weeks but I’m back to the weight I was before the week long work trip a couple of weeks ago.   My workout is complete for the day.   Tomorrow I may do some cardio but it depends on the family schedule.   I will continue to eat properly and that has always been the key.  

Get on the workout train.  Spring is the next stop and it will be here in a flash.  

Good to see everyone still at it.  I’m really struggling on the health front and need to make some dramatic changes. I don’t know what happened, but the past 6 months of the pandemic just clobbered me. Before that I was at a low weight (for me anyway) and feeling pretty ok. I managed to get through 18 months just fine. But I’m the past 6 months, I went completely off the rails with eating, work got crazy and my activity level plummeted, I started increasingly spending 12 hour days working in my attic and barely ever getting outside, and I put on weight. Usually by February my “holiday weight” is gone, and I’m doing better again. This year I can’t seem to shake it. Not only that but I’ve been insanely stressed and overworked and short tempered.

We’re on vacation in Puerto Rico this week so I’m not likely to do anything drastic for a few more days. But when I get back, I need to overhaul my life somehow. More exercise, better eating. No booze. And more time outside.  Actually in March we are going back to the office part time. Probably will be the best thing for me. Hate my commute on the train but it involves a lot of walking and I think my metabolism and body just eventually fell off a cliff from the extended sedentary lifestyle. March hopefully will begin a climb back to some form of good health, both physical and mental. 
best to all. 

Hey Oats.  I'm glad you're checking in.

Today I was hanging out with my mom, doing some walking (yay) and drinking some wine (less yay), and things were starting to feel "normal."  I mean, we still have an indoor mask mandate here in WA, but...I don't know, people feel more relaxed even in their masks.  So normal.  And it occurred to me just how ####### awful what we've all been through has been.  I mean, we've all kinda weathered it because we had no choice, but are you ####### kidding me?  We can kid around and say, "Oh, our parents went through wars," or "Oh, they walked to school uphill both ways in the snow," but really even a war was something that people had an understanding of, and tools to deal with and knowledge of what to expect.

That we're still standing, most of us, is kind of amazing.  Not just standing but trying to get on with our lives as if nothing happened.  Our resiliency is either admirable or ridiculous, but this is all to say, let's give ourselves a ####### break.  Enjoy your vacation.  Enjoy the fact that you're still here, with your family.  And when you can, get yourself healthier again.  But damn it, allow yourself some grace for just surviving mentally in one piece.

Users who are viewing this thread