What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick your carb (1 Viewer)

If you had to pick one to eat for the rest of your life and give up the others, which would it be?

• Bread and all yeasted, floured things

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Rice and other rice like grains

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Pasta and all noodles

Votes: 29 26.9%
  • Potatoes and all things made from potatoes

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Tortillas and all non-yeasted bread-like carbs

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
Potatoes - veggie pastas are close enough for my purposes. Baked potatoes, mashed, hash browns, chips, French fries.

Last edited:
Tough call, but I eat rice more than the rest by a pretty wide margin, so I'll go with that.

Potatoes and pasta are plenty versatile, but I think rice might be even more versatile.

Bread would be last. I don't dislike it, but I can easily go without it. I go on a sandwich kick about twice a year for a couple weeks. But outside of those couple of weeks, we go 3-4 months at a time without buying bread at all.

Nuked potatoes get eaten multiple times a day so have to go with that. If calories weren't a concern, I'd probably still go with them b/c potato chips might be my #1 cheat food.

I love good, fresh breads, but voted pasta/noodles.
huge fan of asian noodle dishes: chow fun, pad thai, some chow meins, dan dan, mee krob, etc.
also love stuffed pastas.

This is a debate my wife and I have about once a year. I'm a pasta guy and she says she can't do without rice.

I could see this starting off as "haha, funny argument" and then devolving into shouting and yelling and ending in not talking to each other for a few days as each side cools off from having said truly awful things to each other.

Anyway, eliminating bread means no burgers, sandwiches or pizza, which would be no life at all.

Potatoes - veggie pastas are close enough for my purposes. Baked potatoes, mashed, hash browns, chips, French fries.
Enjoy that potato pizza.
The Czechs make a dish called a brambory. There was a place in San Francisco years ago, on Divisadero I think, that made brambory and served Pilsner Urquel, Those were the days. Their version, somewhat Americanized, was a base of thinly sliced potatoes, cooked in a skillet, kind of like hash browns. Crispy.Then put pizza toppings on top. They had maybe 10 selections. Was a good time and tasty. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place.

Not better than a good pizza though.

Not many better things in life than:
- a good, warm loaf of Italian/Tuscan bread
- pizza

Had to go with option 1 or A or the top one or whatever you want to call it.

Bread....pizza, naan, fresh baked sour dough, etc.....I assume pie crust and cake counts as bread?
If it's leavened, it's bread. Unleavened, it's a tortilla.

As an aside, why would you eat matzoh for Passover if you could just eat a tortilla? The latter is waaaaaaay better.

I could not live without pasta. I can live without bread, and cake, and doughnuts, and pizza, and all that other stuff, but not pasta and asian noodles.

Besides, I prefer birthday pie over birthday cake anyway. And pie crust doesn't have leavening in it. At least, most homemade pie crusts don't.

Yeah, its bread. Losing pasta would be ROUGH (no mac and cheese :kicksrock: ) but still better than losing pizza, hamburger/sandwich buns, etc.

Losing tortillas would be AWFUL as well, as i freaking love mexican food. But I could probably still get like 90% of my fix from just eating taco salads.

Bread....pizza, naan, fresh baked sour dough, etc.....I assume pie crust and cake counts as bread?
If it's leavened, it's bread. Unleavened, it's a tortilla.

As an aside, why would you eat matzoh for Passover if you could just eat a tortilla? The latter is waaaaaaay better.
My answer was already bread, but now you're bringing leavening agents other than yeast into the fold? Heck yeah.

Bread wins just by virtue of pizza being in there. Doughnuts, rolls, bear claws, sandwiches are just there to enjoy the victory lap.

I would love to see a geogaphic breakdown of responses. Where is bread #1? Where is pasta? Where is potatoes?
If you look around the world at the areas that make amazing food, a vast majority rely on rice as the main carb.

And then many of the great world cuisines rely both rice and tortillas, which is also a getting a disturbing amount of disrespect here.

Don't imagine many of you are tripping over yourselves for potato-loving Eastern European/Russian cuisine. Not knocking them because I don't know much about it. And neither does hardly anybody voting potato here.

Last edited:
And tortillas really are being so disrespected. I think they might be #2 behind rice.

In our house, we could run out of potatoes, bread, and maybe pasta for weeks and months at a time, it's not a problem. RIce and tortillas are a must to have at all times.
Part of that could be that potatoes and bread go bad so much faster.

But you got rice or tortillas, you got a meal no matter what else you got on hand.

One over looked benefit too, with tortillas, is the chips aspect. Most carbs in this pole don't provide much crunch. That's where potatoes shine. But tortillas provide all the wonderful things they do, and still provide you with the option for crunchy chips.

Users who are viewing this thread