What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pizza Bagels, Genius! (1 Viewer)

Well that was a typical Tomlin game against an awful Bears team.   If history is an indicator then we are going to be so pissed off in the next 2 hours

All I ask is that IF they lose this game please don't waste our time with the anthem no show as your hot take

They just aren't very good. Like Fred said in game thread, Ben can barely move anymore. Brown is the only offensive threat at this point.

At some point we can't chalk up Leveon's horrible play just to "well he didn't have a pre season".   Something is going on with guy either physically or mentally

Every year as long as Tomlin is our coach we have to deal with 2 or 3 losses against inferior teams.  Luckily the AFC North is a dumpster fire full of even worse teams

The deep ball has not been pretty early in the year.  Frustrating as a Steelers fan and Bryant owner.
In fairness, the first play of the game, Ben put the ball right on Martavis for a sure-fire TD. Went right through his hands.

They shot themselves in the foot so many times yesterday, it was ridiculous. Refs didn't help either, with two egregious non-calls for holding on the Bears' drive in IT. So blatant and near the ball that I saw both in real-time and was shouting at the TV. However, they can't run the ball effectively right now and can't stop the run either, those two things were their bread and butter last year. They were beaten at the LOS both ways yesterday and that simply cannot continue to happen if this team is going to go anywhere.

They deserve to lose for that nonsense they pulled
If by nonsense you mean they way they played I agree with you 100%.  

The national anthem stuff is BS though -- this is America and you have the freedom to do what you like unless you are breaking the law.  It is getting to the point where you can't even watch or play football without someone questioning your patriotism -- SAD.

In fairness, the first play of the game, Ben put the ball right on Martavis for a sure-fire TD. Went right through his hands.

They shot themselves in the foot so many times yesterday, it was ridiculous. Refs didn't help either, with two egregious non-calls for holding on the Bears' drive in IT. So blatant and near the ball that I saw both in real-time and was shouting at the TV. However, they can't run the ball effectively right now and can't stop the run either, those two things were their bread and butter last year. They were beaten at the LOS both ways yesterday and that simply cannot continue to happen if this team is going to go anywhere.
Agreed.

I don't know what happened but the offensive line is horrible this year.  

ETA:  I think the defenses problem is guys over-pursuing and not staying in their gaps.   They also had no business dropping safeties 25 yards off the line of scrimmage -- the Bears were not throwing the ball and when they did it was short routes.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Our team has looked bad in many facets of the game, and our loss yesterday was chock full of missed opportunities. The officiating in OT didn't help us with holds on the long run by Cohen and on the TD by Howard not being called by the officials, but it should never have come to that. If we had made the FG before halftime, if Bryant had caught the wide open TD on the 1st play of the game, if Ben had been even a little bit aware and not had a strip sack, if Mike Mitchell had adequate hands and caught that pick with 2 min left in Bears territory, if Wilcox had dove on the ball instead of trying to scoop and score, if James Harrison had more than 4 snaps (he's great at Run D, which we obviously needed), if we had done any one of these things the game could have turned out differently.

The Ravens got destroyed by the Jags yesterday, they are going to be pissed as hell next Sunday when the Steelers go to Baltimore. Even if the Ravens start Ryan Mallet, I'm not liking the Steelers chances on the road. I'm not sure what they need to do to turn things around but Ben looks off, the O-line loses ground on every snap, and our D can't keep a lane at all right now. If we want to be contenders this year we need to get things turned around quickly. Winning next week would help our odds of taking the division with Baltimore at 2-1, Cincy at 0-3, and the Browns at 0-3. At this rate though we'll also need home field advantage to win a playoff game so hopefully we can get righted quickly.

Our team has looked bad in many facets of the game, and our loss yesterday was chock full of missed opportunities. The officiating in OT didn't help us with holds on the long run by Cohen and on the TD by Howard not being called by the officials, but it should never have come to that. If we had made the FG before halftime, if Bryant had caught the wide open TD on the 1st play of the game, if Ben had been even a little bit aware and not had a strip sack, if Mike Mitchell had adequate hands and caught that pick with 2 min left in Bears territory, if Wilcox had dove on the ball instead of trying to scoop and score, if James Harrison had more than 4 snaps (he's great at Run D, which we obviously needed), if we had done any one of these things the game could have turned out differently.

The Ravens got destroyed by the Jags yesterday, they are going to be pissed as hell next Sunday when the Steelers go to Baltimore. Even if the Ravens start Ryan Mallet, I'm not liking the Steelers chances on the road. I'm not sure what they need to do to turn things around but Ben looks off, the O-line loses ground on every snap, and our D can't keep a lane at all right now. If we want to be contenders this year we need to get things turned around quickly. Winning next week would help our odds of taking the division with Baltimore at 2-1, Cincy at 0-3, and the Browns at 0-3. At this rate though we'll also need home field advantage to win a playoff game so hopefully we can get righted quickly.
I don't like their chances on the road either.  It has nothing to do with the Ravens being pissed and everything to do with the Steelers playing terribly.   I was willing to chalk up the Browns game to rust and the Vikings game to playing against a good defense but now we're 3 games in and they don't seem to be getting any better.  

I guess if you want to something positive you could say they aren't peaking too early...

Agreed.

I don't know what happened but the offensive line is horrible this year.  

ETA:  I think the defenses problem is guys over-pursuing and not staying in their gaps.   They also had no business dropping safeties 25 yards off the line of scrimmage -- the Bears were not throwing the ball and when they did it was short routes.  
Totally agree.  Did they even get 100 yards through the air?  They have no receivers, they should have been playing man with maybe one safety deep and 7-8 in the box all day.  The way the Bears were able to run the ball was atrocious.

Godsbrother said:
I don't like their chances on the road either.  It has nothing to do with the Ravens being pissed and everything to do with the Steelers playing terribly.   I was willing to chalk up the Browns game to rust and the Vikings game to playing against a good defense but now we're 3 games in and they don't seem to be getting any better.  

I guess if you want to something positive you could say they aren't peaking too early...
:lol:

Only positives from yesterday were that a) it wasn't a division or even conference loss and b) the entire division lost, so we lost no ground.

Alejandro Villanueva jersey sales skyrocket on Fanatics.com

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman and decorated Army veteran Alejandro Villanueva became an instant hero to many fans around the National Football League when he became the lone player on the Pittsburgh Steelers to stand for the national anthem before Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears. And those fans are responding to Villanueva's act with their wallets.

On Fanatics.com, sales of Villanueva's jersey skyrocketed, launching up to the third highest-seller in Pittsburgh Steelers jersey as of just before 8 PM Eastern time, behind only a custom Steelers jersey and Antonio Brown's jersey. Villanueva's jersey also jumped into the top sellers around the league, and as of 7:45 PM EST trailed only Marshawn Lynch, Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Brown, and Aaron Rodgers in sales.

The Steelers are getting just what they tried to avoid, an off the field distraction.  

Keys to future success:

• Get the O-line back on track. This will give Leveon more running room and Ben a little more time. He seems unsettled and is throwing all over the place.
  • Get the D better at run defense. This should happen when Tuitt comes back, but I think we need to use Harrison more than we have been. He's a precious commodity that we don't want to spend up prior to the playoffs, but he's a great run stuffer and we need that right now. Shazier and Dupree often run right past the RB before they can get the brakes on.
  • Stop making dumb mistakes. Whether it's penalties, turnovers, or poor execution, we need to tighten things up and get our play cleaner.
  • Innovative play calling. I get that we haven't faced the toughest teams yet, but our Offense isn't lighting things up like we thought they would. We need to mix things up more and get the ball in the hands of our playmakers. More slant routes with quick releases, involve the newest TE weapon, more RB screen passes after the D over commits, maybe a trick play once in a while to keep opponents on their toes.
Our team is too talented to waste this season. They have to get things turned around and win this next game in Baltimore. It's going to be tough, but with a win we'll have a great advantage when it comes to winning the AFC North. A loss will really put us behind the 8-ball since the Ravens don't have to play New England.

Probably belongs in the "Politics" thread, but

THIS

is the last straw for me.  I'm a USMC vet and 40 year-old father, husband and proud citizen of the USA.  The fact that Villanueva "was encouraged" (my speculation) to make a public apology for being the only Steeler to come out for the American Anthem, as an Army Ranger with several tours of duty under his belt, is a disgrace in itself.  This weekend was the last straw for me in a slope I've been slipping down for some time with the NFL.  It's a ####### GAME that is supposed to be my reprieve from day-to-day bull#### and when the first thing I see / hear turning on games -- and for the week following -- is a reminder of what I don't care to hear on my TV for my entertainment, it sickens me.  It's much worse than the NBC rant by Bob Costas during SNF about gun control following Sandy Hook that also pissed me off to no end.  From now on, If I need a football fix, I'll turn to last year's copy of Madden (also the last I'll ever buy).

Sorry to rant, and you guys in this thread have been worth visiting these pages for long after I gave up fantasy football.  Gonna miss you guys, and the game I loved for 30 years and played for 15 years of my life.  Like the NBA did to me in the mid-90's, the paths have diverged.  

God bless you all, and hope you enjoy this game and real life for all you can.  Loved the time I spent with y'all.

Peace,

Timmy Cooke, aka Cookiemonster

Couldn't agree with you more cookie monster. And this crap Tomlin spewed about not wanting to bring politics into it & being about football, please. So the guys that would want to respect the flag now have to stay in the locker room because they all couldn't agree, created the exact problem he claims he wanted to avoid. That just makes him an idiot & even worse a lousy person for not standing up for Villanueva. Can't even enjoy watching games anymore, and what little respect I had for Tomlin is gone. Canning his a@@ today MIGHT satisfy some of the fan base but it will never happen.

Any word on whether Tuitt, Watt, Foster, James, Davis, or Gilbert will be able to play this week against the Ravens? If not, we could be in for a world of hurt.

Also, please move political discussion to another thread, we come here for football.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect yours and I thank you for your service but I think you may have some of your facts wrong.   First off  Villanueva seemed genuinely upset at the way this went down and I think he was sincere when he apologized for making it appear that none of his teammates had his back.  I do not think that he was encouraged by Tomlin or the Steelers organization but he felt he had to set the record straight.   I am not sure why you wouldn't take him at his word.

Also I do not understand the anger towards Tomlin.   He was aware that there was going to be a reaction to the president's speech and left it to the players to come up with a unified way to deal with it and they could not.  At that point the decision was made to have the entire team remain in the tunnel.   The way it played out it definitely backfired because when Villanueva came out as the lone Steeler to stand it made it appear that the rest of the team wouldn't which is silly because they have been ever since Kaepernick started all of this.

You may not believe Tomlin but I 100% agree with what he said:  "they are football players and coaches and politics do not belong on the sideline".   The bottom line is the president whipped up this firestorm by his reckless speech where he called the players SoBs and saying they should be fired.  If this weekend's events were the "last straw" for you then the blame lies squarely on the man in the White House.  

For me, I am not going to let that person ruin the enjoyment I get every week watching the Steelers.

Cookiemonster said:
Probably belongs in the "Politics" thread, but

THIS

is the last straw for me.  I'm a USMC vet and 40 year-old father, husband and proud citizen of the USA.  The fact that Villanueva "was encouraged" (my speculation) to make a public apology for being the only Steeler to come out for the American Anthem, as an Army Ranger with several tours of duty under his belt, is a disgrace in itself.  This weekend was the last straw for me in a slope I've been slipping down for some time with the NFL.  It's a ####### GAME that is supposed to be my reprieve from day-to-day bull#### and when the first thing I see / hear turning on games -- and for the week following -- is a reminder of what I don't care to hear on my TV for my entertainment, it sickens me.  It's much worse than the NBC rant by Bob Costas during SNF about gun control following Sandy Hook that also pissed me off to no end.  From now on, If I need a football fix, I'll turn to last year's copy of Madden (also the last I'll ever buy).

Sorry to rant, and you guys in this thread have been worth visiting these pages for long after I gave up fantasy football.  Gonna miss you guys, and the game I loved for 30 years and played for 15 years of my life.  Like the NBA did to me in the mid-90's, the paths have diverged.  

God bless you all, and hope you enjoy this game and real life for all you can.  Loved the time I spent with y'all.

Peace,

Timmy Cooke, aka Cookiemonster
Villanueva deserves to be taken as a man of his word.

I find it disgraceful upsetting for anyone who talks of him in a way that makes a liar of him at this point.

You don't need to do anything over pure speculation.

If it is goodbye cookie... I'm sorry to see you go and wish you the best.

Any word on whether Tuitt, Watt, Foster, James, Davis, or Gilbert will be able to play this week against the Ravens? If not, we could be in for a world of hurt.
Not sure but we should find out more today at Tomlin's presser.   The Ravens are pretty banged up too for whatever that is worth.

Not sure but we should find out more today at Tomlin's presser.   The Ravens are pretty banged up too for whatever that is worth.
True, there should be room to run if Brandon Williams misses another game, and their line will be weaker without Yanda.  Still worried though, and probably will be until the game is over. While the Steelers play down to weaker opponents and in recent years have dropped the ball (figuratively and literally) against the Ravens, they have always brought their A-game. See year that the Steelers were 2 of their 4 wins...

And back to football.

Looks like Tomlin is hopeful that Tuitt and Watt will be back, but Mitchell and Davis might be out. Not good to be missing our safety tandem against our rivals no matter how bad their offense looks. Foster TBD. Haven't heard anything about Gilbert.

Any chance Leveon finally has a monster game this week? Brandon Williams and his backup at NT might be out. Could finally allow our O-line to get some push.

Sure seemed like the Steelers were more interested in the anthem and politics then playing a football game Sunday.  Hopefully losing to the bears wakes them up.  That's embarrassing.

And back to football.

Looks like Tomlin is hopeful that Tuitt and Watt will be back, but Mitchell and Davis might be out. Not good to be missing our safety tandem against our rivals no matter how bad their offense looks. Foster TBD. Haven't heard anything about Gilbert.

Any chance Leveon finally has a monster game this week? Brandon Williams and his backup at NT might be out. Could finally allow our O-line to get some push.
This is a big concern for this game (of course it didn't matter last week cause the safeties were 25 yards deep to take away the lethal weapon that is Mike Glennon).  My guess is that Mitchell plays cause he never misses games.

I really think that LeVeon's biggest problem has been our offensive line.  Hopefully they begin to get it together this week and maybe open up a hole or two.

I really think that LeVeon's biggest problem has been our offensive line.  Hopefully they begin to get it together this week and maybe open up a hole or two.
100% agree. Our tackles have been terrible so far this year. Gilbert due to injury and Al due to just being bad I guess. Foster is one of our better run blockers, so hopefully he's able to play. They just don't seem to be in sync yet. And part of that could be due to Ben not calling out correct alignments, not sure.

Well this certainly makes up for last week's performance.  The offense still isn't fully clicking but the defense was superb.  Also, Leveon finally got going and Ben looked a lot better IMO.  I feel like the team hasn't looked good most of the year but they're sitting pretty at 3-1 right now.  I'll take it.

AB was on SnapChat talking with his little boy about throwing the water bottle. He told his son, "tell them to throw daddy the ball."

Well this certainly makes up for last week's performance.  The offense still isn't fully clicking but the defense was superb.  Also, Leveon finally got going and Ben looked a lot better IMO.  I feel like the team hasn't looked good most of the year but they're sitting pretty at 3-1 right now.  I'll take it.
Not only that, but the Patriots don't look like the team were. That defense looks old.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City in the AFC Championship game...

Not only that, but the Patriots don't look like the team were. That defense looks old.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City in the AFC Championship game...
That's the way it might look like in week 4 but there is still a lonnnnng way to go.   

Yeah I need to see a LOT more evidence before I rule New England out of anything.  As of now, I still assume they will end up the best team in the AFC because of # 12.  
Yep and not only New England.   How many times have we seen teams start off strong and end up missing the playoffs or teams that start off 1-3 getting it together down the stretch?

AB was on SnapChat talking with his little boy about throwing the water bottle. He told his son, "tell them to throw daddy the ball."
The temper tantrum during the game is understandable/excusable - this BS after the Steelers win in BAL to take the early lead in the division is a really bad look.

We got a win which was great! But people shouldn't overreact. Our D looked good against an offense that has been inept all year. We got a lot of push against an O-line decimated by injury. We got INTs against a QB with an INT in 10 straight games, leading the league. We ran the ball well against a defense that's missing its top 2 nose tackles. We couldn't pass against them, and we still let up a splash running play.

I'm happy that we won, but our performance leaves a lot to be desired. Ben still looks awful. He's missing easy throws, and not scanning the field as well as in years past. He didn't see a wide open AB, when usually all he sees is AB, then he throws it out of reach of Leveon. The overthrow of MB for the easy TD was disappointing and almost expected at this point. The Steelers should be practicing the deep ball and only the deep ball in practice, because right now it's just sad to watch. Leveon looked good, but hopefully he can have some repeat performances against teams that aren't so injured.

I'm very happy we're 3-1 with a solid lead in the division, let's improve upon this performance when we face the Jags next week. If we can stop Fournette, we'll win.  And if we don't improve, assuming no injuries tonight to key Chiefs players, we'll have 0 chance in Arrowhead.

Users who are viewing this thread