What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post round 1 draft, stock up/down (1 Viewer)

This rookie draft is shaping up to suck.
For veterans or the rookies?
Rookies. The best WR went to a bad weather city playing for a running team with a running QB coming off an injury. The second best WR is going to be playing for Lovie (not Trestman) and a career backup QB who parlayed a good quarter of a season throwing to Marshall and Jeffrey into a job as the placeholder QB for Mike Glennon and whoever they draft two years from now. The third best WR will be playing on a "broken" offense with an aging QB who's starting to show signs of suckage and competing with Cruz, a reasonably decent Randle, and a decent slot guy. The WRs who ended up in the best situations are Cooks, who is basically Devery Henderson 2.0, Mathews, who will be the number three or four target in a great offense, and Adams, who will probably pass Boykin on the depth chart eventually. You could make a case that the Lee is one of the top rookie WRs, because somebody has to catch passes there, but the Jaguars now have just enough guys to screw that up too. By the time Lattimer is good, Denver won't be.The RBs aren't much better. Sankey went to a decent situation, but he's got plenty of question marks. Hyde is in a great situation, along with Gore, who is in a great situation, and Lattimore, who is in a great situation, and Hunter, who is in a great situation, and LMJ, who is in a great situation. Ugh. Then there's Hill, who simultaneously screwed his own value in Cinci and took the top off of Gio's upside as well.

The top QB might be the Jaguars guy, or the Browns guy, or maybe the Vikings guy or Oakland guy. None of those are traditionally great places to be, but maybe Bortles and his two new rookie WRs will be good once he's allowed to start. Carr may be redshirting, too, but at least he has those awesome Oakland receivers to work with. Manziel should be able to win the starting job, but just when you might be getting excited about him, you find out he might be losing Gordon Bridgewater is probably in the best situation, throwing to an aging Jennings, a raw Cordarelle, and an overhyped Rudolph, but he's got size concerns and is going to be playing his home games outdoors in Minnesota for a couple years, so it's hard to get too excited.

I guess you might be excited about Zac Efron, but that offense was already oversaturated with Calvin, Tate, Bush and that backup RB everyone likes. ASJ is probably just good enough to screw over Wright owners on the Bucs. And Amaro is playing with Geno.

Last year had some mediocre talent end up in fantastic landing spots. This year has better talent, but the landing spots have been the ugliest possible for fantasy owners. Even the supposedly great depth is getting beaten up. There's no question that some of these guys will pan out, but it's going to be nigh impossible to figure out which ones. Just a brutal draft for guys holding multiple 2014 firsts.
Yeah, I completely disagree. Situation certainly matters, but it can also change pretty quickly. I'd rather have more talented guys in seemingly so so situations than the reverse.
Not me. I'm with Fred on this. I've had my fill of JSTEw's and Jared cooks while watching things called victor Cruz and Arian Foster land in perfect places and flourish despite not being consensus stud talents. I accept the mantra that players who are not on the field don't score fantasy points for my fantasy teams.
Nice cherry picking. Lol at Cruz landing in a perfect place, but the #12 overall pick in this draft lands in the same place and now it stinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rookies. The best WR went to a bad weather city playing for a running team with a running QB coming off an injury. The second best WR is going to be playing for Lovie (not Trestman) and a career backup QB who parlayed a good quarter of a season throwing to Marshall and Jeffrey into a job as the placeholder QB for Mike Glennon and whoever they draft two years from now. The third best WR will be playing on a "broken" offense with an aging QB who's starting to show signs of suckage and competing with Cruz, a reasonably decent Randle, and a decent slot guy. The WRs who ended up in the best situations are Cooks, who is basically Devery Henderson 2.0, Mathews, who will be the number three or four target in a great offense, and Adams, who will probably pass Boykin on the depth chart eventually. You could make a case that the Lee is one of the top rookie WRs, because somebody has to catch passes there, but the Jaguars now have just enough guys to screw that up too. By the time Lattimer is good, Denver won't be.The RBs aren't much better. Sankey went to a decent situation, but he's got plenty of question marks. Hyde is in a great situation, along with Gore, who is in a great situation, and Lattimore, who is in a great situation, and Hunter, who is in a great situation, and LMJ, who is in a great situation. Ugh. Then there's Hill, who simultaneously screwed his own value in Cinci and took the top off of Gio's upside as well.

The top QB might be the Jaguars guy, or the Browns guy, or maybe the Vikings guy or Oakland guy. None of those are traditionally great places to be, but maybe Bortles and his two new rookie WRs will be good once he's allowed to start. Carr may be redshirting, too, but at least he has those awesome Oakland receivers to work with. Manziel should be able to win the starting job, but just when you might be getting excited about him, you find out he might be losing Gordon Bridgewater is probably in the best situation, throwing to an aging Jennings, a raw Cordarelle, and an overhyped Rudolph, but he's got size concerns and is going to be playing his home games outdoors in Minnesota for a couple years, so it's hard to get too excited.

I guess you might be excited about Zac Efron, but that offense was already oversaturated with Calvin, Tate, Bush and that backup RB everyone likes. ASJ is probably just good enough to screw over Wright owners on the Bucs. And Amaro is playing with Geno.

Last year had some mediocre talent end up in fantastic landing spots. This year has better talent, but the landing spots have been the ugliest possible for fantasy owners. Even the supposedly great depth is getting beaten up. There's no question that some of these guys will pan out, but it's going to be nigh impossible to figure out which ones. Just a brutal draft for guys holding multiple 2014 firsts.
Yeah, I completely disagree. Situation certainly matters, but it can also change pretty quickly. I'd rather have more talented guys in seemingly so so situations than the reverse.
I get that. I don't totally agree with it, but I get it. But that's not what I'm talking about.1) The guys who scarfed up multiple first in this year's draft paid a decent price to get players in a supposedly talent rich draft. Whether you think those players are talented or not, ending up on bad teams or in time shares can't be considered good news. So I stand by my comment that this is a brutal draft for guys who own multiple firsts.

2) Even if you love the talent, and think that talent trumps situation, the problem is deciding which guys have the kind of talent that trumps their crappy situations. Is Hyde ever going to start an NFL game? Ask a Lattimore owner how the talent vs situation thing worked out for them. Or a Hunter owner. Or a LMJ owner. All of those guys thought they drafted the most talented player... and any one of them would be happy to take a do-over on their picks right now. Will the same thing happen to the really talented San Francisco backup? No, not Christine Michael, I mean Robert Turbin. All we heard about was how awesome that guy was. He may literally never start for a fantasy team in his career. In fact, so far, both of the Seattle backups are very talented and completely worthless. Who's to say they don't take another stud RB prospect again next year. The 49ers just did it. So while you're trumpeting talent over situation, the problem is making sure your talented players will actually get a shot at some point.

3) And then you still have to deal with the structural issues of the teams they joined. Watkins isn't leaving Buffalo any time soon, and Buffalo isn't building a dome, and Manuel doesn't appear to be an elite passing prospect. Things can change quickly in the NFL, but this isn't a case of a bad team becoming good overnight, it's a case of a bad situation staying bad. The best Buffalo receiver in team history was barely on the hall of fame radar, and it's not because he wasn't talented enough or even because his QBs sucked. It's just not a great place to catch long passes.

4) Of course, situation doesn't trump talent. See also: what just happened to Zac Stacy's value. And Mason's value is pretty murky, too, for now anyways. Another brutal pick in an already brutal draft.

Any RB and their corresponding teams RB have taken hits this draft. I actually find it humorous in a dark way.

Edit: Sankey and Hyde's situations are the least terrible so far.

D. Moore is winning with Oak not drafting a WR.
I'm one of few if not the only one who thinks there is nothing wrong with their crew of Wrs and I have Moore as the 3rd best on that squad. None are Watkins level but all are solid.

Doug Martin - Down
No he isn't. Sims is a cop back only.
Incorrect, no way will Sims be used as a COP back.

He will steal carries from Martin, I really like the kid.

Anyone who thinks that Martin's value is not adversely affected by the arrival of Sims is kidding themselves.
This.

Sims is not a COP type. Definite downgrade to Martin.
Great time to be buying Martin (and I say this as someone that thinks Sims was the rb3 in this class). All it means is that Martin won't get 400 touches, but only 300.

Not me. I'm with Fred on this. I've had my fill of JSTEw's and Jared cooks while watching things called victor Cruz and Arian Foster land in perfect places and flourish despite not being consensus stud talents. I accept the mantra that players who are not on the field don't score fantasy points for my fantasy teams.
Nice cherry picking. Lol at Cruz landing in a perfect place, but the #12 overall pick in this draft lands in the same place and now it stinks.
Like I said, I agree with Fred. His points are all valid. Feel free to give relevant, earth shattering, non cherry picking examples to support your thought but it still remains, Fred is correct

Like Moncrief going to the Colts - he prob wont do much in 2014 - but it's a great dynasty pick.

Sorry, Rogers fans.

I get that. I don't totally agree with it, but I get it. But that's not what I'm talking about.1) The guys who scarfed up multiple first in this year's draft paid a decent price to get players in a supposedly talent rich draft. Whether you think those players are talented or not, ending up on bad teams or in time shares can't be considered good news. So I stand by my comment that this is a brutal draft for guys who own multiple firsts.

2) Even if you love the talent, and think that talent trumps situation, the problem is deciding which guys have the kind of talent that trumps their crappy situations. Is Hyde ever going to start an NFL game? Ask a Lattimore owner how the talent vs situation thing worked out for them. Or a Hunter owner. Or a LMJ owner. All of those guys thought they drafted the most talented player... and any one of them would be happy to take a do-over on their picks right now. Will the same thing happen to the really talented San Francisco backup? No, not Christine Michael, I mean Robert Turbin. All we heard about was how awesome that guy was. He may literally never start for a fantasy team in his career. In fact, so far, both of the Seattle backups are very talented and completely worthless. Who's to say they don't take another stud RB prospect again next year. The 49ers just did it. So while you're trumpeting talent over situation, the problem is making sure your talented players will actually get a shot at some point.

3) And then you still have to deal with the structural issues of the teams they joined. Watkins isn't leaving Buffalo any time soon, and Buffalo isn't building a dome, and Manuel doesn't appear to be an elite passing prospect. Things can change quickly in the NFL, but this isn't a case of a bad team becoming good overnight, it's a case of a bad situation staying bad. The best Buffalo receiver in team history was barely on the hall of fame radar, and it's not because he wasn't talented enough or even because his QBs sucked. It's just not a great place to catch long passes.

4) Of course, situation doesn't trump talent. See also: what just happened to Zac Stacy's value. And Mason's value is pretty murky, too, for now anyways. Another brutal pick in an already brutal draft.
1) Being a high draft pick means that usually you're on a "bad" team. That said, some of the better WR/TE prospects this year ended up on NO, Philly, Tampa, Den, NYG, Det, and GB- not exactly fantasy wastelands.

2) Not sure what your point is regarding Lattimore, his situation certainly isn't the reason he hasn't played. Hunter was a 4th round pick, and LMJ hasn't panned out (along with being drafted into a worse situation with a younger Gore). Turbin was also a 4th rounder, and I don't recall too many people having really high hopes for him. The problem is more making sure that your talented players are actually talented- if so, they'll get a shot at some point.

3) Watkins is kind of unique, he's been the consensus #1 pick, not really an issue for someone who "scarfed up multiple #1's". I'm not a Manuel fan, but he was a rookie who missed a good chunk of the season/practice time. It's premature to say he isn't going to improve, and you don't have to catch a ton of long passes to be a good fantasy WR, especially in PPR. Watkins isn't a deep threat specialist anyhow.

4) Kind of my point- you're putting too much focus on situation IMO, which can change in an instant.

Doug Martin - Down

Anyone who thinks that Martin's value is not adversely affected by the arrival of Sims is kidding themselves.
This.

U guys are nuts and I mean that in a kind way, if u think sims has a shot at hurting Martin's value.

Like I said, I agree with Fred. His points are all valid. Feel free to give relevant, earth shattering, non cherry picking examples to support your thought but it still remains, Fred is correct
I just gave my reasoning in my response to him, but how about this- you guys give me (realistic) landing spots that would have been a huge improvement for all of these guys? You mentioned Atlanta as one spot for a RB, but I really think Tenn and SF are equally good if not better long term. What else?

I just gave my reasoning in my response to him, but how about this- you guys give me (realistic) landing spots that would have been a huge improvement for all of these guys? You mentioned Atlanta as one spot for a RB, but I really think Tenn and SF are equally good if not better long term. What else?
You're handing us a blank canvas. We could come up with 100s of dream scenarios that would have fantasy people drooling. Let's send Manziel to oakland. Let's send Evans San Diego or Denver. Watkins to almost anywhere. Carlos Hyde or the mason to tennessee would have generated tons of buzz. But to go back to the basics: it's just been what Fred said and things could be a lot different. These picks, the way, they are going, is just not ideal.. That's all

You're handing us a blank canvas. We could come up with 100s of dream scenarios that would have fantasy people drooling. Let's send Manziel to oakland. Let's send Evans San Diego or Denver. Watkins to almost anywhere. Carlos Hyde or the mason to tennessee would have generated tons of buzz. But to go back to the basics: it's just been what Fred said and things could be a lot different. These picks, the way, they are going, is just not ideal.. That's all
Why on earth would Manziel in Oakland have people drooling? Watkins to anywhere except Buffalo? Tennessee did draft a RB, which you were arguing earlier was a bad spot for Sankey because of Greene, but now it would have been great for Mason or Hyde? It's not realistic to think Denver was going to trade from #31 to #7 for a WR, and they did draft a WR in the 2nd. Why does SD make you drool for Evans but TB is bad?

Garoppolo - Up

The QB with the quickest release in the draft learning from the QB with the quickest release in the NFL.
Great pick for New England. I expect Mallett to be moved soon, hopefully real soon.

Prolific in the up tempo offense, like this one a lot.
in a draft full of good WRs and TEs they sat and took another back up QB.... yeah, nice job.NE is getting too cute and its not working
Brady has 2, maybe 3 productive years left. Garrapolo learns under Brady, makes sense to me.

Patriots shouldn't miss a beat if this kid pans out, smart move for the future of the franchise, imo.
If Brady has 3yrs left why take a qb now when you could take someone to help the pats win now while Brady's window is still open?

It's not like they are good enough to take a backup qb in the 2nd .rd.
Better to coach up a QB like Garoppolo than to worry about it when Brady retires/can't do it anymore.

BB did the same thing to Bledsoe.
Brady was a 6th rounder

Doug Martin - Down

This.

U guys are nuts and I mean that in a kind way, if u think sims has a shot at hurting Martin's value.
Seems like Tampa is becoming Chicago South. Brought in their QB, two big WRs, competent TE, and a pseudo-Forte clone.

Aaron Dobson up. Was curious to see if NE would be patient with their 2nd year WRs and I think Dobson is the best of the three

don't think he's that type of back. We will see though.

I am interested in seeing where Andre Williams goes today.

Still a few bullets to dodge, but I'd say Andre Ellington is solidified as a dynamic 3 down rb
Was going to come in and add this, and just a big of a statement for Taylor as well....although a back here on day 3 can change that.

Doug Martin - Down
Incorrect, no wat will Sims be used as a COP back.

Newsflash, most all running backs share carries. Very few every down RBs. The lack of understanding on this subject should be exploited by all.

jurb26 said:
Borden said:
The Law Firms stock just took a serious nose dive.

Maybe Gio goes down a bit too.
A bit? It's seems clear he won't be a featured guy. Geo is a committee RB.
Which, last year, landed him in the top 15. If you thought he was going to be the feature back, you clearly weren't paying attention.

the first round of rookie mocks will be very interesting to monitor now. Outside of Evans, Watkins, and Sankey, you could go in a dozen different directions with the next few picks.

Today's round four could change the dynamics even more.

Stay tuned.

2) Not sure what your point is regarding Lattimore, his situation certainly isn't the reason he hasn't played. Hunter was a 4th round pick, and LMJ hasn't panned out (along with being drafted into a worse situation with a younger Gore). Turbin was also a 4th rounder, and I don't recall too many people having really high hopes for him. The problem is more making sure that your talented players are actually talented- if so, they'll get a shot at some point.
This is a bit odd. On the one hand you're trumpeting the talent of a bunch of 3rd rounders as if they were top 10 overall picks that ended up in a bad situation. Then, on the other hand you're looking back at a bunch of 4th rounders and saying that they obviously didn't have much talent if they were drafted that late.

This isn't Jonathan Stewart being an obvious stud drafted into a bad situation here. The number of RBs drafted in the 3rd round and on that disappeared into obscurity without a hope of ever seeing significant time on the field is too long to list. I'm not saying that all these guys will be the same but some of the guys we're talking about here were drafted a whopping 10 picks earlier then the guys that you just said were drafted too late to have much talent/hope. You can't have it both ways.

This is a bit odd. On the one hand you're trumpeting the talent of a bunch of 3rd rounders as if they were top 10 overall picks that ended up in a bad situation. Then, on the other hand you're looking back at a bunch of 4th rounders and saying that they obviously didn't have much talent if they were drafted that late.

This isn't Jonathan Stewart being an obvious stud drafted into a bad situation here. The number of RBs drafted in the 3rd round and on that disappeared into obscurity without a hope of ever seeing significant time on the field is too long to list. I'm not saying that all these guys will be the same but some of the guys we're talking about here were drafted a whopping 10 picks earlier then the guys that you just said were drafted too late to have much talent/hope. You can't have it both ways.
I'm doing no such thing. I'm not even talking about how talented these RBs are (personally I don't think they are very). This is a discussion about situation, and I'm just refuting his argument that "talented" guys like Turbin and Hunter didn't pan out because of situation. I'm saying that they didn't pan out because they weren't very talented.

If Sankey, Hyde, etc. are talented, their situations won't hurt their value (I think they'll help it actually, I like those situations). Also, the discussion is mostly about the WRs since I think most agree that they are talented, and I think many of them ended up in good situations as well- the other two posters seem to think they're terrible, which I just don't get.

Users who are viewing this thread