What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Post Your 2012 Dynasty Start-up Draft** (1 Viewer)

Don't know how Stafford makes it to round 4....1.09 in my startup from last week. The 1.01 rookie pick almost made it to the 3rd round (2.10) as well...probably lower than 95% of startups right now.
Obviously that league drastically devalued all QBs as a whole. Rodgers and Cam didn't go until the second, and Brees was picked right between Darren Sproles and Marques Colston. Makes me wonder if the league doesn't have any funky scoring rules.I looked and it is only 4 points per passing td, but still guys like Rodgers and especially Cam shouldn't be falling out of the first round.

Thanks for posting. Interesting to see the same guy take the 1.1/1.2 at the turn there. About right for Richardson (I assume), but way early for the 1.2 when guys like Rodgers/Newton/Wallace/Bryant/Charles/MJD, etc. were still on the board. Also, AJ Green going 6 spots higher than Julio was interesting. 1.1/1.2 guy following up with CJ/Stafford makes me think he wants Blackmon...he must be quite high on him. Same guy also went on to take Hernandez and 1.4...interesting.

So he went:

Chris Johnson

Stafford

Hernandez

DHB

Jon Baldwin

Ryan Williams

Jake Locker

Robert Meachem

Evan Royster (rather than 2.4, which went right after....interesting)

I don't think I've seen someone invest so heavily in one rookie draft in a startup before. Wow. Looking weak at WR.

That is an interesting team. Of the early picks, the only pick I'd really quibble with is the 1.2, but that's just because I'm not a huge believer in Blackmon. But once you start putting hypothetical names in for the picks, it doesn't look as bad and could be a pretty strong team long term. Especially because he is likely to end up with a top 3 pick next year to add another elite RB or WR (add a Marcus Lattimore for example to the roster...). QB-Matt Stafford, Jake Locker

RB-Trent Richardson, Chris Johnson, Ryan Williams, Evan Royster

WR-Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jon Baldwin, Mohammed Sanu, Dwight Jones, Robert Meachem

TE-Aaron Hernandez

He definitely needs Richardson, Blackmon and whoever he takes at 1.4 to live up to the hype

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team 1PPR 4pt/PaTD. Start 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1DEF

Some weird picks in there

1.01 Forster RB HOU

1.02 McCoy RB PHI

1.03 Rice RB BAL

1.04 Johnson WR DET

1.05 Jones WR ATL

1.06 Rodgers QB GB

1.07 Brees QB NO

1.08 Jones-Drew RB JAX

1.09 Stafford QB DET

1.10 Charles RB KC

1.11 Brady QB NE

1.12 Green WR CIN

2.01 Forte RB CHI

2.02 Johnson WR HOU

2.03 Newton QB CAR

2.04 Gronkowski TE NE

2.05 Dalton QB CIN

2.06 Matthews RB SD

2.07 Graham TE NO

2.08 Johnson RB TEN

2.09 White WR ATL

2.10 McFadden RB OAK

2.11 Sproles RB NO

2.12 Fitzgerald WR ARI

3.01 Nicks WR NYG

3.02 Peterson RB MIN

Thanks for posting. Interesting to see the same guy take the 1.1/1.2 at the turn there. About right for Richardson (I assume), but way early for the 1.2 when guys like Rodgers/Newton/Wallace/Bryant/Charles/MJD, etc. were still on the board. Also, AJ Green going 6 spots higher than Julio was interesting. 1.1/1.2 guy following up with CJ/Stafford makes me think he wants Blackmon...he must be quite high on him. Same guy also went on to take Hernandez and 1.4...interesting.

So he went:

Chris Johnson

Stafford

Hernandez

DHB

Jon Baldwin

Ryan Williams

Jake Locker

Robert Meachem

Evan Royster (rather than 2.4, which went right after....interesting)

I don't think I've seen someone invest so heavily in one rookie draft in a startup before. Wow. Looking weak at WR.
That is an interesting team. Of the early picks, the only pick I'd really quibble with is the 1.2, but that's just because I'm not a huge believer in Blackmon. But once you start putting hypothetical names in for the picks, it doesn't look as bad and could be a pretty strong team long term. Especially because he is likely to end up with a top 3 pick next year to add another elite RB or WR (add a Marcus Lattimore for example to the roster...). QB-Matt Stafford, Jake Locker

RB-Trent Richardson, Chris Johnson, Ryan Williams, Evan Royster

WR-Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Jon Baldwin, Mohammed Sanu, Dwight Jones, Robert Meachem

TE-Aaron Hernandez

He definitely needs Richardson, Blackmon and whoever he takes at 1.4 to live up to the hype

Yes I will need some Picks to hit, but a couple WW gems and I will be competitive. Nothing worse than after a year or two of a dynasty than to have a bunch of non tradable players. I think all of my guys will have upside down the road. I do wish that I had one good WR but this group gobbles them up and when I was left with stafford and CJ at the the 3.12,4.01 I had to take them. Oh well, I now have 7 of the top 14 rookie picks, so that should be interesting anyway.

12 team 1PPR 4pt/PaTD. Start 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1DEFSome weird picks in there1.01 Forster RB HOU1.02 McCoy RB PHI1.03 Rice RB BAL1.04 Johnson WR DET1.05 Jones WR ATL1.06 Rodgers QB GB1.07 Brees QB NO1.08 Jones-Drew RB JAX1.09 Stafford QB DET1.10 Charles RB KC1.11 Brady QB NE1.12 Green WR CIN2.01 Forte RB CHI2.02 Johnson WR HOU2.03 Newton QB CAR2.04 Gronkowski TE NE2.05 Dalton QB CIN2.06 Matthews RB SD2.07 Graham TE NO2.08 Johnson RB TEN2.09 White WR ATL2.10 McFadden RB OAK 2.11 Sproles RB NO2.12 Fitzgerald WR ARI3.01 Nicks WR NYG3.02 Peterson RB MIN
Do you have a link?

12 team 1PPR 4pt/PaTD. Start 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE, 1K, 1DEFSome weird picks in there1.01 Forster RB HOU1.02 McCoy RB PHI1.03 Rice RB BAL1.04 Johnson WR DET1.05 Jones WR ATL1.06 Rodgers QB GB1.07 Brees QB NO1.08 Jones-Drew RB JAX1.09 Stafford QB DET1.10 Charles RB KC1.11 Brady QB NE1.12 Green WR CIN2.01 Forte RB CHI2.02 Johnson WR HOU2.03 Newton QB CAR2.04 Gronkowski TE NE2.05 Dalton QB CIN2.06 Matthews RB SD2.07 Graham TE NO2.08 Johnson RB TEN2.09 White WR ATL2.10 McFadden RB OAK 2.11 Sproles RB NO2.12 Fitzgerald WR ARI3.01 Nicks WR NYG3.02 Peterson RB MIN
Very interesting. Obviously dalton at 2.5 was a terrible pick. That owner put himself in a major hole pretty quicklyDon't like the mjd stafford Charles picks with guys like green Fitz and nicks availableAlso can't believe how far nicks and Fitz fell. I don't know what the guy with the first pick did to get so lucky, but after drafting foster he was handed nicks and Fitz on a silver platter. Great trio to start his team, assuming there weren't any trades.

Very interesting. Obviously dalton at 2.5 was a terrible pick. That owner put himself in a major hole pretty quicklyDon't like the mjd stafford Charles picks with guys like green Fitz and nicks availableAlso can't believe how far nicks and Fitz fell. I don't know what the guy with the first pick did to get so lucky, but after drafting foster he was handed nicks and Fitz on a silver platter. Great trio to start his team, assuming there weren't any trades.
Lots of trades in that league. Foster, Fitz and Nicks are on three different teams. Stafford was me. I even traded up to pair him up with Calvin. I've always hated playing against strong QB-WR combo's so I thought "Now it's my turn". We'll see how that turns out...

Obviously dalton at 2.5 was a terrible pick. That owner put himself in a major hole pretty quickly
That has to be one of the most curious picks I've ever seen. I don't see Dalton ever really being anything more than a borderline fantasy starter (if that), but even if I'm wrong and he is a consistent Top 6-8 guy (or better) surely the guy could have drafted him much later than that.

'Skeletore Eh said:
'dickey moe said:
Julio Jones is going really high. Probably too high.
Yup. Much rather have nicks at 25 than Julio at 5Of course, thats easy to say after the fact. Nicks only falls to 25 in less than 1% of startups though.

1 point PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2Flex (one of which can be a QB)

Round 1

1. Calvin Johnson

2. Arian Foster

3. Aaron Rodgers

4. Cam Newton

5. Ray Rice

6. LeSean McCoy

7. Matt Stafford

8. Trent Richardson

9. Drew Brees

10. Larry Fitzgerald

11. Chris Johnson

12. Maurice Jones-Drew

My quick thoughts: I thought in this format (QB flex), there was a pretty clear top 7 and they all went before my pick. All those guys in the top 7 are very talented, still have a ton of football left to play and are in good offensive situations.

Unfortunately, I was stuck at 8 and couldn't find a reasonable trade up deal. Which led to me making the biggest reach in the round grabbing Trent Richardson. I thought long and hard about Brees, but in the end thought the scoring format (1 for 25 passing, 4 pt. TD) and Brees' age made RB the better value. Unfortunately, after the top 3 RBs, I felt like it was wide open and went back and forth in my mind on who to take. CJ looked bad last year. MJD, ADP, Run DMC and Jamaal Charles all have injury concerns that scared me away from them this early. Ryan Matthews was a strong consideration but I'm not completely sold on him as an elite talent and Tolbert may be back in FA to share carries and vulture TDs. The one RB I felt most comfortable with and came very, very close to drafting was Matt Forte. Still pretty young. True workhorse back. Durable and no real injury issues going forward. However, the combo of new offensive coaching staff (will he still get a ton of catches with Tice as OC?) and his talk of possibly holding out next year (another CJ situation?) was just enough for me to decide to go with Richardson.

Admittedly, it was a huge gamble to take Richardson. He could end up on any team and possibly even a timeshare on a bad offense (Tampa worst case?). He could end up being a bust. He could be overrated due to the awesome Bama OL. But I tend to lean towards talent and youth early in dynasty drafts and I believe in his talent and felt like with a bunch of other somewhat risky RB options, I could make the gamble. I hope he ends up in that Cleveland offense that made a mediocre talent like Hillis into a fantasy star.

Hopefully we'll get through the 2nd round this afternoon and if anyone is interested, I can post that as well. (I already feel like I made a big mistake in the 2nd round...)
just don't see how CJ or anyone for that matter, could be taken ahead of Rodgers..I don't see Stafford in the top 10, he had a great season and all,but I'd like to make sure he's not Scott Mitchell v2.0 before I select him with a top 10 pick.

Some QB named Matt, whether it be Flynn (via trade) or Moore, could be a top QB in Philbin's offense in Miami..

Big Ben is going to make a major impact with Haley as Pitt's OC..think Kurt Warner 2008..

Trent Richardson in the top 10, already?! no way that happens. would you seriously take Richardson over some other top RB's and/or proven guys like Gronkowski, Roddy White, H. Nicks, J. Graham, Cruz, etc? no way.

Clinton Portis wasn't even a first rounder his rookie season..and he is/was >>>>> Richardson.

What? Clinton Portis was a 2nd rounder. Shanahan's ZBS took a good talent with breakaway speed, and made him a star. Don't get me wrong, when healthy and especially before putting on weight for Gibbs, Portis was a great RB.

But as a prospect? Not even CLOSE to Trent Richardson.

Love how people complain about startups being done early. Some leagues do things differently but that doesn't mean it's wrong. The ability to adjust is important and I see it as ballsy but not stupid. Complainers just like to hear themselves talk.

This draft, run by Paragon FF started less than a week ago, 32 teams/double players, PPR, 4 pts passing TD, full IDP

http://football5.myfantasyleague.com/2012/options?L=77720&O=17
why do people feel the need to justify thier picks in the comments."He's only 25 yo and will be in a RBBC somewhere..." bla bla bla...

Is someone in the league going to laugh at them otherwise?

I dunno - I enjoy seeing what my leaguemates wrote/etc.

Why was that draft so QB heavy, since looks like 4 pts per passing TD and can only start one QB ?Have never seen 4 of first 6 picks be QB, and really odd that Calvin falls to 8 (even in non-PPR) ?
QB is the new WR, just as WR was the new RB a few years ago.Yeah I didn't take a QB for quite sometime. After last season people are enamored in QB's.

How about Richardson falling to 4.5...couple spots behind....Fred Jackson!!!Yeah, must be some weird settings or something.I vote for "or something" with Ridley, Vereen, Carter, Taiwan, Powell, Vincent Brown, Golden Tate, Hankerson, Benn, Mike Thomas, Salas, Kolb, Kendricks, etc all undrafted, and for the most part still FAs. I would expect most to be drafted in a 23 round initial dynasty draft that just completed a week ago.

This draft, run by Paragon FF started less than a week ago, 32 teams/double players, PPR, 4 pts passing TD, full IDP

http://football5.myfantasyleague.com/2012/options?L=77720&O=17
why do people feel the need to justify thier picks in the comments."He's only 25 yo and will be in a RBBC somewhere..." bla bla bla...

Is someone in the league going to laugh at them otherwise?

Tell me about it!! I really could care less why someone picked whoever, I think you could be right, perhaps some insecurity.....maybe they just like to hear the sound of their own voice. Unless your proven, we don't really care what you think.

Pretty ridiculous that anyone in any league worth their salt would be drafting already. Too much unknown like this thing called the NFL draft. At the very earliest start up drafts should be starting in May.
The unknown is the exact reason it's fun to draft early. Once it's all spelled out then any joe schmo can draft well.
I don't care how smart anyone thinks they are, drafting before free agency and the draft is dumb. Free agency and the draft is completely a mystery to everyone, and no one can predict either with anything close to accuracy.might be dumb to you, but not for others...i love drafting early in the year, precombine...have never drafted before the NFL draft but i won't mind getting in on one some day. I think the appeal is trying to get that special someone you feel is going to breakout that yr before the hype begins. I now a couple of times I have had my eye a player and try to sneak them off someones roster by sending a decent trade offer or a package only to get rejected or that owner just isn't active during the off-season. Then sure enough Camps start / rankings hit and then its too late.Also, it must make the real draft that much more exciting when your waiting to see where your investment is going.

PPR1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE NO FLEXDRAFTING THE ROOKIE PICK SPACERS FOR ROOKIE DRAFT LATERhttp://football13.myfantasyleague.com/2012/options?L=57334&O=17
Brees falls all the way to the 3rd round huh?Was wondering how this bounty fall out would affect his value.

PPR1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE NO FLEXDRAFTING THE ROOKIE PICK SPACERS FOR ROOKIE DRAFT LATERhttp://football13.myfantasyleague.com/2012/options?L=57334&O=17
Brees falls all the way to the 3rd round huh?Was wondering how this bounty fall out would affect his value.Seems about right to me. Not everyone is fully aboard the QB early bandwagon. I still can't wrap my head around going QB in the first 2 rounds of a start up draft. Hard to change after so many years.

Users who are viewing this thread