What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pot smokers (3 Viewers)

Is there a ####in' manual I can read or something?
You can learn to do about anything from youtube.
I despise youtube. Any other way?
What exactly are you trying to learn? I'm sure somebody here can help you.
everything.

difference in plants/strains - loved reading that email, but understood little of it

difference in methods and how to use

how to keep it fresher

how to pack a bowl better

As I posted, I would more, but partly I feel like a damn idiot. I have 0 clue about different types/strain, probably am packing my bowl wrong. Going into a smoke shop and reading that email makes my head spin a bit. I am afraid I'll go to CO and not do much because I'll just wander around aimlessly.
I'm an old school hippie stoner from way back, but the scene has totally passed me by. I expect about a quarter of what I inhale to be stems and seeds, and I want a nice mellow feeling that lasts for about an hour and leaves me thinking Fritos might be a good idea. I don't need any of these ultra-pure weapons-grade strains named after Star Trek characters that leave me wandering around a week later wondering if math is still a thing. Found THAT out the hard way.

It's beer for me these days, I'm afraid. :shrug:
And that is a big part of the reason I cut my grass with tobacco. It completely mellows out the buzz and I was far more functional.
Probably wise. May reconsider w/the cut.

everything.

difference in plants/strains - loved reading that email, but understood little of it

how to keep it fresher

Yeah, I'm not an expert in any of this stuff. I think the main thing with the strains is that indicia is a sedative high and sativa is an energetic high. But I guess you can just read the descriptions from johnnycakes' email for individual strains. I'm going to Colorado in two weeks, so I'm excited to go through an education there. At home I just buy whatever my guy has, sometimes it is good sometimes it sucks.

I don't think there are that many distinct methods. There's smoking, vaping and eating I think. I've never vaped. Smoking and eating give you a different sort of high in my experience. Edibles take a while to start working and then they sort of gradually work their way up to full strength before gradually declining. Smoking is much more immediate and the high wears off faster (if you don't smoke more). Pipes, joints, bongs, whatever, the only differences between them is how much smoke you get into your lungs and how harsh the smoke actually is.

I keep mine in the freezer for freshness. :shrug:

I don't know that there are secrets to packing a bowl better. I guess just don't jam it so full that air can't draw through. That's about all I can think of.

everything.

how to keep it fresher

It's not hard.

Strains... unless you are in a legal state, this isn't much of a concern. You just buy what you can get. For your trip to CO, just tell them you're a beginner / returning after a long time smoker.

Fresh... foodsaver bags work really well. I keep enough "out" for a month or two, and the rest is vacuum sealed.

Packing a bowl... get a grinder. Available in any shop where they sell pipes and such. They are about 10-15 bucks, and self-explanatory in use. Ground up pot burns much, much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

As I posted, I would more, but partly I feel like a damn idiot. I have 0 clue about different types/strain, probably am packing my bowl wrong. Going into a smoke shop and reading that email makes my head spin a bit. I am afraid I'll go to CO and not do much because I'll just wander around aimlessly.
I'm an old school hippie stoner from way back, but the scene has totally passed me by. I expect about a quarter of what I inhale to be stems and seeds, and I want a nice mellow feeling that lasts for about an hour and leaves me thinking Fritos might be a good idea. I don't need any of these ultra-pure weapons-grade strains named after Star Trek characters that leave me wandering around a week later wondering if math is still a thing. Found THAT out the hard way.

It's beer for me these days, I'm afraid. :shrug:
And that is a big part of the reason I cut my grass with tobacco. It completely mellows out the buzz and I was far more functional.
Probably wise. May reconsider w/the cut.
I don't like it personally. Makes me light headed and ruins the high for me.

Regarding vaping... I have an iolight (looks like a walky-talky), but I have been very disappointed with results so far. Seems like you need twice as much to get half the buzz. I dig the taste, and really like the idea of it. But this one cost me about $150, and I'm disappointed, so I'm very reluctant to drop $200+ on a Pax or 300+ on the one Johnnycakes posted.

I'm just sticking with my trusty bowl for now. Any thoughts on vaping vs. smoking in terms of strength / amount / etc?

everything.

1) difference in plants/strains - loved reading that email, but understood little of it

2) difference in methods and how to use

3) how to keep it fresher

4) how to pack a bowl better
1) Doesn't matter in the least. People will tell you that a sativa will give you a different high than an indica but they are marginal differences at best. I think they are now providing the THC % content and that is probably the only useful info you need (like ABV with alcohol). They will try to tell you about flavors, nuances and "notes" and that is complete and utter B.S. It's weed, you smoke it, it's not fine wine...and I consider those things to be complete and utter B.S. for wine too.

2) Smoke or eat. I prefer pretty much all smoking methods to eating methods. Edibles take longer to kick in leading people to think it's not working so they eat more too soon and end up getting way too high and having a bad experience.

3) Smoke more, faster.

4) Put weed in bowl and tamp it down a bit. Doesn't matter if you take a nice small bud that fits perfectly or grind some up and pack it although you will probably get more hits off the former because the latter tends to turn to ash a bit quicker and get sucked in the chamber easier. If you are rolling jays then you need to grind first.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Dec 5th it will be three years since I last smoked grass.

Not that I am keeping track or anything.
kid?

job?
Smoking too much.

My biggest concern was that I much preferred rolling jays and making it worse I always mixed it with rolling tobacco. For me that was just a much better experience. But I would plow through 4, 5, 6 jays a night and after awhile *cough-ahem-fifteen years-cough* I just started to become concerned about the health implications. And I just don't like bongs, vapes, edibles etc nearly as much as the tobacco/weed mix (too heady and anti-social for me). So I quit.
Interesting. Never heard that being done.
It's just like a trip to flavor country.
I roll my J's the same way. I also roll a mouth piece or a tip into the end of it to prevent the hole from closing up. It also allows for a nice, even pull every time. The GF prefers not to smoke tobbacco so we'll smoke out of a small glass pipe when she's around.

I normally smoke 2-4 J's a night after work and enjoy a nice wake and bake on weekends.

everything.

how to keep it fresher

This will give you a good start.

Seems like an expensive habit.

How much do you guys spend per month?
It is WAY less expensive than booze. Obviously depends on how much you smoke, but I could be high every day of the month for less than $100.
Depends how much you smoke.

An ounce is $300 for me. At the rate I smoke (2-3x a week), it lasts me more than a year.
I spend about 50 every two weeks or so. About 25 a week. Pretty sure most of the drinkers I know spend at least that.
Oh, that's not bad at all. I guess I just have no idea about amounts.

Regarding vaping... I have an iolight (looks like a walky-talky), but I have been very disappointed with results so far. Seems like you need twice as much to get half the buzz. I dig the taste, and really like the idea of it. But this one cost me about $150, and I'm disappointed, so I'm very reluctant to drop $200+ on a Pax or 300+ on the one Johnnycakes posted.

I'm just sticking with my trusty bowl for now. Any thoughts on vaping vs. smoking in terms of strength / amount / etc?
I have found vaping to be much more efficient. And I like the idea of avoiding the carcinogens that accompany combustion. The Silver Surfer I linked to before is by far the best vaporizer I have ever used... very gentle, no coughing, no harshness or anything like that. I have a couple of Pax portables... at first I loved the Pax, but you really have to be diligent about keeping it clean or the resin will gum everything up. For a portable, it might be the best out there, but for desktop use at home... that Silver Surfer would be damned hard to beat.

Even though I don't use weed, I will say that the Volcano is an impressive vaporizer. Well worth the dough if you're into that sort of thing.

It is WAY less expensive than booze. Obviously depends on how much you smoke, but I could be high every day of the month for less than $100.

An ounce is $300 for me. At the rate I smoke (2-3x a week), it lasts me more than a year.
I spend about 50 every two weeks or so. About 25 a week. Pretty sure most of the drinkers I know spend at least that.
I buy a quarter roughly every 2 weeks. That's 7 grams. My guy measures it outside the bag so I get a legit 7 and don't pay for the plastic baggie.

I see nothing about rave reviews for volcanos/vaporizers etc. Can someone try to describe why they're worth what they cost? How does the high differ from a bong hit for example.

everything.1) difference in plants/strains - loved reading that email, but understood little of it

1) Doesn't matter in the least. People will tell you that a sativa will give you a different high than an indica but they are marginal differences at best. I think they are now providing the THC % content and that is probably the only useful info you need (like ABV with alcohol).

They will try to tell you about flavors, nuances and "notes" and that is complete and utter B.S. It's weed, you smoke it, it's not fine wine...and I consider those things to be complete and utter B.S. for wine too.2) Smoke or eat. I prefer pretty much all smoking methods to eating methods. Edibles take longer to kick in leading people to think it's not working so they eat more too soon and end up getting way too high and having a bad experience.

3) Smoke more, faster.

4) Put weed in bowl and tamp it down a bit. Doesn't matter if you take a nice small bud that fits perfectly or grind some up and pack it although you will probably get more hits off the former because the latter tends to turn to ash a bit quicker and get sucked in the chamber easier. If you are rolling jays then you need to grind first.
I couldn't disagree more. There is a vast difference in the highs and effects of a heavy indica strain and a heavy sativa strain. I think that it is amazing the breadth of different effects that you can get from marijuana, depending on the lineage of the strain.

This Dec 5th it will be three years since I last smoked grass.

Not that I am keeping track or anything.
kid?

job?
Smoking too much.

My biggest concern was that I much preferred rolling jays and making it worse I always mixed it with rolling tobacco. For me that was just a much better experience. But I would plow through 4, 5, 6 jays a night and after awhile *cough-ahem-fifteen years-cough* I just started to become concerned about the health implications. And I just don't like bongs, vapes, edibles etc nearly as much as the tobacco/weed mix (too heady and anti-social for me). So I quit.
Interesting. Never heard that being done.
Very common up in Canada. I HATE it. Way too much of a nic high and you have to smoke all the tar and #### in the cig as well. But some love it.

For me (pretty much am where NC Commish is - it's my glass of wine or three after work), probably $200-250 a month. Recently switched to Vape (PAX, which is great and portable) and that uses more than my ol' batty and it's something that I have no interest in cheaping out on.

everything.1) difference in plants/strains - loved reading that email, but understood little of it

1) Doesn't matter in the least. People will tell you that a sativa will give you a different high than an indica but they are marginal differences at best. I think they are now providing the THC % content and that is probably the only useful info you need (like ABV with alcohol). They will try to tell you about flavors, nuances and "notes" and that is complete and utter B.S. It's weed, you smoke it, it's not fine wine...and I consider those things to be complete and utter B.S. for wine too.

2) Smoke or eat. I prefer pretty much all smoking methods to eating methods. Edibles take longer to kick in leading people to think it's not working so they eat more too soon and end up getting way too high and having a bad experience.

3) Smoke more, faster.

I couldn't disagree more. There is a vast difference in the highs and effects of a heavy indica strain and a heavy sativa strain. I think that it is amazing the breadth of different effects that you can get from marijuana, depending on the lineage of the strain.
Yeah there are definitely differences in strains. And they are more than minimal. Some make you lazy, some energize you, etc.

I have found vaping to be much more efficient. And I like the idea of avoiding the carcinogens that accompany combustion.
Is there any real scientific data supporting this?
While nothing is 100% safe, logic would dictate that by not burning something to make it smoke but rather heat it until chemicals are released in a vapor would suggest it's a lot better for you.

It's also more of a cleaner, heady type of high rather than weighing you down "stoned"

I see nothing about rave reviews for volcanos/vaporizers etc. Can someone try to describe why they're worth what they cost? How does the high differ from a bong hit for example.
My Silver Surfer is the smoothest thing I've ever used... no coughing, no harshness. Just really smooth. That's a big attraction to me.

Without getting too technical, vaporizers come in a couple of varieties... there's those like the Pax that heat by wrapping coils around the oven in which the leaf material is placed. Those have heat settings... but if you let it get too hot, it will combust the material, which is not what you want. It's said that the burning of the material is what creates all the carcinogens... vaping just bakes the good stuff you want out of the leaf, while leaving the carcinogens behind.

The second type of vaporizer is like the Volcano or the Silver Surfer... the material is more indirectly heated, giving a much smoother vapor.

I've read somewhere, too, that the percentage of THC or CBD that is absorbed by vaping is higher than by smoking... the combustion seems to burn up some of the active ingredient you want to consume.

In my state weed is not legal, so we don't have access to the good ####. I guess I spend maybe two hundred bucks a year, probably less. It goes for $80 bucks an oz. I use a little one hitter that costs about ten bucks.

It would be more if I had a big smorgasbord to choose from. And I would gladly pay taxes on it.

Buckfast, give me some weed shopping advice for my Colorado vacation. We're arriving at Denver airport at 10:30 am on a Saturday. The plan is to go to one (or more) dispensaries before continuing on to our destination (Breckenridge). Here are my questions:

1) Are there particular places that are better that I should especially seek out? I don't really want to drive all over Denver for four hours, but I'd rather go to a place that's better rather than just one that's convenient.

2) Do they still have limits on the amount of edibles you can buy and if so, do you know what the limits are? We'll only be there a week, so it's not like we need a ridiculous amount, but my wife prefers edibles to smoking, so she's probably going to want one or two per day. And I'll probably try some too, especially if we go places where smoking is impractical.

3) Do any of the places have some sort of "sampler" package where I can get small amounts of lots of different strains? I'm excited to try new and different stuff but I only have a week so I can't really buy normal amounts of more than one strain without being incredibly wasteful.

I probably have more questions but can't think of them now.

3) Smoke more, faster.

Yeah there are definitely differences in strains. And they are more than minimal. Some make you lazy, some energize you, etc.
See? I told you that people would try to tell you that KP.

Don't stress over those things in the least.

I have found vaping to be much more efficient. And I like the idea of avoiding the carcinogens that accompany combustion.
Is there any real scientific data supporting this?
While nothing is 100% safe, logic would dictate that by not burning something to make it smoke but rather heat it until chemicals are released in a vapor would suggest it's a lot better for you.

It's also more of a cleaner, heady type of high rather than weighing you down "stoned"
I get that but it wasn't my question.

I will consult the google.

I buy a quarter roughly every 2 weeks. That's 7 grams. My guy measures it outside the bag so I get a legit 7 and don't pay for the plastic baggie.
So I guess you spend $50 for a quarter? Thats a great price. Here in NY, I'll spend at least $100 for a quarter of quality.

Is there such thing as a vaporizer rental in Denver, or is that too gross because people put their mouths on it and stuff? I'd be interested in trying to vape but I'm not ready to spend hundreds of dollars on it, and I wouldn't want to bring it home on an airplane either.

3) Smoke more, faster.

See? I told you that people would try to tell you that KP.

Don't stress over those things in the least.
What is there to stress over?

FWIW, different strains will have different percentages of active ingredients including not not limited to THC. Other stuff's going on too.

That said, I've been doing this for 25 years. I absolutely, 100% feel a difference. And if I have the same strain months or even years later, I will feel the same effects. I stay away from certain strains because they make me feel heavy and exhausted.

So scientific or not, I know 100% because, well, I actually feel a stark difference.

So I guess you spend $50 for a quarter? Thats a great price. Here in NY, I'll spend at least $100 for a quarter of quality.
Number one cash crop in NC for years. I can't remember the last time my guy was dry for more than a day or two.

3) Smoke more, faster.

I feel the same way. A lot of people get caught up in the specifics. As long as the starin falls within the same qulality group, I have never been able to noticice too much of a difference or maybe I never really cared. They all accomplish the same thing in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread