What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pro Bowl voting - fan voting now over (1 Viewer)

Sidewinder16

Footballguy
I saw that Pro Bowl voting is open now for fans. I figured we might be able to help out one another in filling out ballots.

We've all heard the complaints about players that are getting selected on name recognition only, while other players, more worthy of making the trip, are getting snubbed. So lets see if we can educate each other some, and flood the voting with some educated ballots. I'm especially interested to hear about "hard to monitor" positions like offensive linemen or special teamer.

So, which players deserve a vote, and why*?

My picks:

AFC

QB: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger

RB: Joseph Addai, Willie Parker, LaDainian Tomlinson

WR: Braylon Edwards, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne

FB: Lorenzo Neal

TE: Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Jr.

OT: Matt Lepsis, Marcus McNeill, Marvel Smith

OG: Kris Dielman, Alan Faneca, Logan Mankins

OC: Dan Koppen, Jeff Saturday

DE: Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor

DT: Albert Haynesworth, Amobi Okoye, Marcus Stroud

OLB: Donnie Edwards, , James Harrison, Shawn Merriman

ILB: Ray Lewis, DeMeco Ryans

CB: Champ Bailey, Leigh Bodden, Terrence McGee

SS: Bob Sanders

FS: Madieu Williams

K: Kris Brown

P: Brian Moorman

KR: Leon Washington

ST: :sadbanana:

NFC

QB: Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, Tony Romo

RB: Adrian Peterson, Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook

WR: Plaxico Burress, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith

FB: Mike Sellers

TE: Chris Cooley, Jason Witten

OT: Walter Jones, Bryant McKinnie, Chris Samuels

OG: Steve Hutchinson, Chris Snee, Mike Wahle

OC: Matt Birk, Casey Rabach

DE: Trent Cole, Aaron Kampman, Osi Umenyiora

DT: Darnell Dockett, Tommie Harris, Pat Williams

OLB: Julian Peterson, Ernie Sims, Demarcus Ware

ILB: London Fletcher, Barrett Ruud

CB: Nate Clements, Marcus Trufant, Charles Woodson

SS: Adrian Wilson

FS: Sean Taylor

K: Nick Folk

P: Andy Lee

KR: Devin Hester

ST: :rolleyes:

*I fully expect there will be disagreements, and I would fully encourage discussion and debate. Just remember to "be excellent to one another".

ETA: My picks, as of the conclusion of week 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
For reference, a ballot consists of the following number of selections for each conference:

QB = 3

RB = 3

WR = 4

FB = 1

TE = 2

OT = 3

OG = 3

OC = 2

DE = 3

DT = 3

OLB = 3

ILB = 2

CB = 3

SS = 1

FS = 1

K = 1

P = 1

KR = 1

ST = 1

I saw that Pro Bowl voting is open now for fans. I figured we might be able to help out one another in filling out ballots.

We've all heard the complaints about players that are getting selected on name recognition only, while other players, more worthy of making the trip, are getting snubbed. So lets see if we can educate each other some, and flood the voting with some educated ballots. I'm especially interested to hear about "hard to monitor" positions like offensive linemen or special teamer.

*I fully expect there will be disagreements, and I would fully encourage discussion and debate. Just remember to "be excellent to one another".
So you're saying Roy Williams DB shouldn't be voted in because he plays out of position and makes cheap tackles? I agree.

No wonder name recognition plays such a heavy bias. The ballot should provide stats at the very least.

I'm having trouble getting past NFC QB's. Favre stands out but there's such a big drop-off after that.No wonder name recognition plays such a heavy bias. The ballot should provide stats at the very least.
Yeah, there's slim pickens at QB in the NFC. I think Romo has to be considered as one, but after him and Favre.... :popcorn:Eli has a bunch of TDs. Delhomme was doing great, but do you consider him after only 2.5 games? Garcia and Hasselbeck have good ratings. Kitna?

it's week 6!!!!

they should wait til later in the year to open the ballots! Favre has had 3 good games and the last two have been below average. if he stays below average, should he really be an all pro based on 3 games in the beginning of the year!?!?!?

So you're saying Roy Williams DB shouldn't be voted in because he plays out of position and makes cheap tackles? I agree.
:popcorn: This is what I'm saying. I'd rather try to figure out who really is the top SS in the NFC now, than hear everyone complain in February that so-and-so doesn't deserve their selection. Stats don't tell the whole story.

it's week 6!!!!they should wait til later in the year to open the ballots! Favre has had 3 good games and the last two have been below average. if he stays below average, should he really be an all pro based on 3 games in the beginning of the year!?!?!?
I agree, it's early. But the fact is, the polls are open (not sure when they close). We may as well start the discussion now. I'm sure vote totals will swing from week to week based on who has a big game, but a Pro Bowl player is a Pro Bowl player, IMO. I don't think it's too early to start talking about who is and who isn't.

it's week 6!!!!they should wait til later in the year to open the ballots! Favre has had 3 good games and the last two have been below average. if he stays below average, should he really be an all pro based on 3 games in the beginning of the year!?!?!?
:thumbup:

Very unpopular but Albert Hansworth should go to the Pro Bowl (if you want to vote for how he has played only).

NFC Fullback

My heavily biased opinion says Mike Sellers (WAS) makes a great selection. He's an excellent lead blocker, and has been used successfully with misdirection this season because defenses are usually worried about Portis or Cooley.

But I know next to nothing about the rest of the field. Any reason any of these guys should get a vote over Sellers?

B.J. Askew, TBB

Korey Hall, GBP

Madison Hedgecock, NYG

Brad Hoover, CAR

Oliver Hoyte, DAL

Mike Karney, NOS

Jason McKie, CHI

Ovie Mughelli, ATL

Moran Norris, SFF

Tony Richardson, MIN

Terrelle Smith, ARI

Thomas Tapeh, PHI

Leonard Weaver SEA

NFC FullbackMy heavily biased opinion says Mike Sellers (WAS) makes a great selection. He's an excellent lead blocker, and has been used successfully with misdirection this season because defenses are usually worried about Portis or Cooley.But I know next to nothing about the rest of the field. Any reason any of these guys should get a vote over Sellers?B.J. Askew, TBBKorey Hall, GBPMadison Hedgecock, NYGBrad Hoover, CAROliver Hoyte, DALMike Karney, NOSJason McKie, CHIOvie Mughelli, ATLMoran Norris, SFFTony Richardson, MINTerrelle Smith, ARIThomas Tapeh, PHILeonard Weaver SEA
Madison Hedgecock. I like him a lot, which bodes well for him since I am an Eagles fan but he seems to open up plenty of lanes in what was expected to be a mediocre offensive line this year. He seems to always be in the mix too.I know if I was a defender, I wouldn't want to get run over by Hedgecock and then take a shot from Jacobs, back to back.Sellers is a good vote too.

Madison Hedgecock. I like him a lot, which bodes well for him since I am an Eagles fan but he seems to open up plenty of lanes in what was expected to be a mediocre offensive line this year. He seems to always be in the mix too.I know if I was a defender, I wouldn't want to get run over by Hedgecock and then take a shot from Jacobs, back to back.
:goodposting: Thanks MaddHatter. Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for from this thread.Don't know that I'm changing my vote yet, though. :censored:

:own3d:
Are you saying you can't tell me whether Willie Parker should be one of the AFC RBs? Should LT, Addai and Ronnie Brown all make it over him, or does FWP have a case?

Still up in the air whether Vick will make it.

olin kreutz C for the bears, he is having his worst season so far, and he does not deserve to get votes.

In the past he always got in as the starter, but the voting should stop this year.

Does this make sense?

Pro Bowl = $$$$

Vote for players on other teams in your division and help drive up their salaries. No, I am not doing it, I won't vote at all. I find it all very meaningless.

NFC FS = Sean Taylor

He's on a career-low pace for tackles, and that's a good thing. He already has 4 INT, 8 PD, and 1 FF.

Several things have been credited with the dramatic improvement in the Skins D this year: London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh instead of Lemar Marshall and Warrick Holdman, health on the DL, depth in the secondary with the additions of Smoot and Landry and the return of Prioleau, and Gregg Williams simplifying things.

Last year, in his only Pro Bowl year and his worst year as a pro, Taylor was playing too many positions at the same time. Now, with all those things listed above, Taylor is allowed to do what he does best: play FS. Taylor is playing centerfield and I literally can't recall one ball this season that has been completed deep. (The big gains they've given up in the passing game have been on shorter routes that turned into long gains.) Most deep balls have Taylor in the picture and the result tends to be an incompletion. Last Sunday, Taylor had two INTs and dropped three others. Favre had no chance to complete a ball downfield. Favre would think he'd have a guy open and Taylor would close the gap in amazing time.

Taylor's ability to cover deep has allowed Fletcher and McIntosh to be everywhere Taylor was tyring to be last year, given the DL that extra second to put pressure on the QB, and provided other DBs with a great security net.

Coming into this year, this is how Taylor's seasons ranked:

2005>>>2004>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2006

I really think he's having his best year yet. He hasn't made Sports Center as much with his usual jarring hits, but that's mainly because balls aren't coming into his zone.

The #1 improvement with the defense this year, IMO, is they aren't being beat deep. And, the #1 reason for that, IMO, is Sean Taylor.

So far it looks like the following players have been suggested to receive votes:

AFC:

QB = Tom Brady, Peyton Manning

RB = Joseph Addai, Ronnie Brown, LaDainian Tomlinson

DT = Albert Haynesworth

P = Brian Moorman

NFC

QB = Brett Favre, Tony Romo

RB = Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook

FB = Mike Sellers

FS = Sean Taylor

KR = Devin Hester

And, the following players have been suggested to not receive votes:

NFC

OC = Olin Kreutz

SS = Roy Williams

KR = Adrian Peterson

Artose Pinner leads all RB with over 12 yards per carry :popcorn: ;)

On the serious side, Housh seems like a "no kidding" pick but given the love Chad gets I'd like to see it spread to Ocho Cuatro as well.

-QG

Here's what I'd go with right now:

AFC

QB: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer

RB: Joseph Addai, Willie Parker, LaDainian Tomlinson

WR: Braylon Edwards, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss

FB: Lorenzo Neal

TE: Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, Jr.

OT: Willie Anderson, Matt Lepsis, Marvel Smith

OG: Kris Dielman, Alan Faneca, Logan Mankins

OC: Dan Koppen, Jeff Saturday

DE: Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor

DT: Albert Haynesworth, Amobi Okoye, Marcus Stroud

OLB: Angelo Crowell, Donnie Edwards, Shawn Merriman

ILB: Ray Lewis, DeMeco Ryans

CB: Champ Bailey, Leigh Bodden, Terrence McGee

SS: Bob Sanders

FS: Madieu Williams

K: Kris Brown

P: Brian Moorman

KR: Leon Washington

ST: :thumbup:

NFC

QB: Brett Favre, Tony Romo, Eli Manning

RB: Edgerrin James, Adrian Peterson, Brian Westbrook

WR: Plaxico Burress, Terrell Owens, Steve Smith, Roy Williams

FB: Mike Sellers

TE: Chris Cooley, Jason Witten

OT: Walter Jones, Bryant McKinnie, Chris Samuels

OG: Shawn Andrews, Steve Hutchinson, Mike Wahle

OC: Matt Birk, Casey Rabach

DE: Trent Cole, Aaron Kampman, Osi Umenyiora

DT: Darnell Dockett, Tommie Harris, Pat Williams

OLB: Michael Boley, Rocky McIntosh, Demarcus Ware

ILB: Barrett Ruud, Nick Barnett

CB: Marcus Trufant, Ronde Barber, Nate Clements

SS: Atari Bigby

FS: Sean Taylor

K: Nick Folk

P: Andy Lee

KR: Devin Hester

ST: :wub:

The orange highlighted names were just about total guesses (i.e., a lot of name recognition picks). Being an IDPer, most of the defensive players I selected almost entirely based on stats, so I could be way off on someone there (for example, Beason has actually playing in the middle recently, which has lead to improved stats over when he was on the outside; the ballot still has him listed as an OLB). I don't even know where to begin choosing a Special Teamer.

Who needs to be changed?

ETA: The addition of Haynesworth and Mankins.

ETA2: Replacing Brown with Parker.

ETA3: Defensive player updates, based on added FBG input.

Big Willie's great but he's had a lot of problems stayin' healthy this year. That would be more a reputation pick (though the line has held together a lot better through all the reshuffling than I would have expected).

Big Willie's great but he's had a lot of problems stayin' healthy this year. That would be more a reputation pick (though the line has held together a lot better through all the reshuffling than I would have expected).
Is there anyone specific you'd want in over him?ETA: And thanks for the info. :missing:

Obvious Pats picks: Tom Brady, Randy Moss

Homer Pats pick, but hear me out: Logan Mankins (guy demolishes everyone in front of him)

Homer premature Pats picks (looked good so far...see how well they hold up all year): Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Dan Koppen

Non-Pats picks, based on what I've seen of them:

Brian Moorman

Peyton Manning

Joseph Addai

LaDainian Tomlinson

Brian Westbrook

Antonio Gates

Albert Haynesworth

(Will edit as I think about this more)

olin kreutz C for the bears, he is having his worst season so far, and he does not deserve to get votes.In the past he always got in as the starter, but the voting should stop this year.
Hurts me to agree but I have to.Also hurts me to say that Im not sure Urlacher deserves a nod this year either.

Albert Haynesworth
I forgot about Haynesworth when I went back and listed my picks.Is he a definite shoe-in over one of Okoye, Stroud or Gregg?

ETA:

Homer Pats pick, but hear me out: Logan Mankins (guy demolishes everyone in front of him)
Does Mankins go in over Kris Dielman, Alan Faneca or Chris Naeole?

Albert Haynesworth
I forgot about Haynesworth when I went back and listed my picks.Is he a definite shoe-in over one of Okoye, Stroud or Gregg?
I'm not exagerating when I say he looks like Reggie White in his prime most of the time. He's been an absolute beast and line interiors have been having nightmares handling him.

You know, if we are going to flood the voting, we need to pick an obscure and/or crappy and/or wholly undeserving player and flood their site.

Can you imagine, Oh I dunno...

NFC Pro-Bowl Quarterback Joey Harrington.

Hmm, now that I think about it...is Michael Vick eligible?

Albert Haynesworth
I'm not exagerating when I say he looks like Reggie White in his prime most of the time. He's been an absolute beast and line interiors have been having nightmares handling him.
Thanks djcolts and pats3in4. I'll update my picks.

Colts:

Will make it: Manning (but not starting)

Should make it: Addai, Bob Sanders

Could make it: Dallas Clark (deserves it, but in a tough conference to make it for TEs), Jeff Saturday (may make it based on previous years)

Won't make it: Either starting WR

Is there anyone specific you'd want in over him?ETA: And thanks for the info. :lmao:
Naah - I'm a Bengals homer, I'd rather see Big Willie in there :) He missed last week and only played 3 snaps versus New England. According to the Bengals website he was supposed to miss up to a month but will try and give it a go this weekend. He's been his usual great self when he's been in there and probably will go anyway, but just wanted to put some insight into a player I've actually watched :) -QG

Users who are viewing this thread