What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

I don't know too much about Geno's personal situation, but the guy obviously has talent. He always has. Is it possible the DUI before the season was a wake up call that he needed? Was that his "rock bottom?" Sometimes you have to be torn down before you can build yourself back up. Something's obviously changed with Geno this year, and I'm so happy for him. Whatever has changed for him mentally and/or in life is special. If he continues on this path, he's easily a top 10 dynasty QB for a few years at least. The talent around him and his ascendance to stardom are both undeniable. Again, I just can't express just how happy I am for this guy that had been written off by so many as a loser both in the NFL and in life. Keep it going Geno!

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks are expected to have contract extension talks with Geno Smith after the season.​

As Rapoport noted, Geno has done enough to earn his spot as the team's starter in 2023 and beyond. Smith currently leads the NFL in completion rate at 73.1 percent. He has thrown 15 scores with just four interceptions. Heading into their game versus the Bucs in Germany, Seattle sits at 6-3. Expect the Seahawks to get Smith on a new deal in the spring.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 13, 2022, 9:38 AM ET

Seahawks QB Geno Smith can’t escape Russell Wilson’s shadow, even in Germany

Excerpt:

MUNICH — For as long as he’s the Seahawks quarterback, Geno Smith doesn’t figure to ever fully escape the shadow of Russell Wilson.

But maybe eventually it won’t loom as large as it does in this, his first season as Wilson’s full-time successor as starter.

Proof that shadow is still there came Thursday after the Seahawks practiced here after arriving in town for Sunday’s first NFL regular-season game in Germany against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Smith was one of three players to talk to the media afterward along with coach Pete Carroll.

And at one point, Smith was asked if he’d done any high knee exercises on the flight over.

It was a reference to Wilson’s viral quote last month when Denver made a trip to London to play Jacksonville that he had done some high knee exercises in the aisle of the plane while other players were sleeping to continue rehabbing a hamstring injury.

Smith, though, didn’t bite, handling the situation about as deftly as he has everything else in a 2022 in which he has emerged as an out-of-the-blue MVP candidate in leading Seattle to a surprising 6-3 record.

“Man, I feel like you are trying to do something there,” Smith said to the questioner (who was not part of the regular media that covers the Seahawks). “We were resting and taking our time getting ourselves prepared for landing here, and it was good to come out here and do some knee highs on the field and just get ready for practice tomorrow.”

Smith was also asked about another topic that this week drew comparison between himself and Wilson — his use of a wristband with plays designated on it that he wears on his left wrist. Coach Pete Carroll this week noted the use of the wristband as a reason for the team’s offensive success this season, saying he feels it leads to a smoother and quicker offensive operation while adding that “there was resistance” in previous years “so we didn’t do that before.”

Wilson responded to that comment, saying, “We won a lot of games without one on the wrist. I didn’t know (if) winning or losing matters whether you wore a wristband or not. But I think, (you) do whatever it takes to make sure that we’re rolling and moving and everything else. A few times I (have) definitely worn a wristband depending on the game plan and what we have called and all that stuff.”

And Smith said Thursday he also simply finds using a wristband a way to streamline the play-calling operation, indicating it had nothing to do with how Wilson handled things.

“I’ve done the wrist band a number of times in my career at all levels and I think we’ve done it here, as well,” Smith said. “That’s something that helps just eliminate a coach calling a 10-word play and me calling a 10-word play right after it. It just takes time for all of that to happen. You go right to the wristband. It sort of smooths out the operation and makes things faster.”

This story is really quite special and so unusual. I’m sure it has happened before and I’m not aware, but I can’t think of another young QB who played for several years eventually stumbling, effectively disappeared for several years, then comes into a starting job out of nowhere and just looks…. Mature. Different. At ease. Great story.

Also my interest is helped by having been completely screwed at QB in dynasty super flex, picking him up free off the waiver wire in the off season and watching him blossom into this.

Smith/Brissett/Heinicke/Dalton an entire SuperFlex QB unit completely made of free pickups off waivers 😂

So didn’t realize Germans singing John Denver’s country roads was a thing and thought they were signing for Geno (a WVU alum).

This story is really quite special and so unusual. I’m sure it has happened before and I’m not aware, but I can’t think of another young QB who played for several years eventually stumbling, effectively disappeared for several years, then comes into a starting job out of nowhere and just looks…. Mature. Different. At ease. Great story.

Also my interest is helped by having been completely screwed at QB in dynasty super flex, picking him up free off the waiver wire in the off season and watching him blossom into this.

Smith/Brissett/Heinicke/Dalton an entire SuperFlex QB unit completely made of free pickups off waivers 😂
Not sure how many remember Tommy Maddox but that's the closest parallel I can think of. 1st round pick, fizzled out, arena league actually retired and then had a few seasons of success with Pittsburgh.

Not sure how many remember Tommy Maddox but that's the closest parallel I can think of. 1st round pick, fizzled out, arena league actually retired and then had a few seasons of success with Pittsburgh.
XFL legend Tommy Maddox.

Geno hasn't quite been as low as Maddox was. If I were looking at an absolute best case scenario, Geno has some similarity with Chris Chandler, both took over starting at 32 as short term options following highly paid starters (Jeff George in Chandler's case) and had an emerging young RB (Jamal Anderson) a good young playmaking WR (Bert Emanuel, who unfortunately started piling up injuries soon after) a quality veteran WR (Terance Mathis), and a veteran HC, who people have criticized a lot for being too conservative (Dan Reeves)

Maybe Seattle can sneak a Super Bowl berth too.

Rich Gannon wasn’t drafted as early as Geno Smith was; however, he is another example that comes to mind with a quarterback who struggled early in his career only to find a later career resurgence with a new team.

Rich Gannon wasn’t drafted as early as Geno Smith was; however, he is another example that comes to mind with a quarterback who struggled early in his career only to find a later career resurgence with a new team.
I almost said Gannon, but figured a former NFL MVP was going too far.

Geno Smith completed 28-of-39 passes for 367 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in the Seahawks' 27-23, Week 13 win over the Rams.​

As he conducted his first game-winning drive since 2014 — that's not a typo — Smith ended up posting the most passing yards of what has been his remarkable comeback campaign. Smith kept it simple against the Rams' undermanned defense, locking onto twin alphas Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf for a combined 17/255/2. It was a necessary development in a game where Ken Walker went down early with an ankle injury. Smith's "interception" was actually more of a Tony Jones Jr. fumble in tight coverage against Bobby Wagner. In addition to Metcalf and Lockett, Smith also found Noah Fant for a score. It was his only second three-TD through the air this season. Continuing to do his best to prop up fantasy managers and bail out the Seahawks' leaky defense, Smith has a tougher Week 14 date with the Panthers.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:15 PM ET

Anyone else nervous about Geno’s Week 15 matchup against SF? Considering grabbing Mike White off of waivers and starting him instead.

Where are you guys pivoting? Or are you holding firm with Geno?

Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson were journeyman type QBs that had late career resurgences where they became top level QBs.

What are you Geno owners doing about him this week? Geno had an inspiring second act to his career with his impressive resurgence this season. He should be on any MVP candidate list and has put up impressive fantasy numbers. But as we enter the first week of the playoffs, Geno has a big problem: SF's defense is daunting and diminishes the stat lines of any QB who faces them.

A lot of Geno owners online seem to be pivoting to Mike White instead, but the Thursday night game complicates things, when considering White's rib injury, and waiting to see if he's logging full practices at the end of the week before making that decision. I'd personally rather have a Geno with a tough match-up, vs relying on a red hot Mike White with an easy matchup who might not even play, or might not finish the game if he takes a wrong hit. Others seem to prefer Daniel Jones over Geno, since he's available on a lot of WWs, but I don't expect more than a middling stat line, even if Danny Dimes ran for 70 yards against Washington a couple of weeks ago.

This is a tough one. We don't want our QB to put up 10 points in a critical playoff matchup.

What are you Geno owners doing about him this week? Geno had an inspiring second act to his career with his impressive resurgence this season. He should be on any MVP candidate list and has put up impressive fantasy numbers. But as we enter the first week of the playoffs, Geno has a big problem: SF's defense is daunting and diminishes the stat lines of any QB who faces them.

A lot of Geno owners online seem to be pivoting to Mike White instead, but the Thursday night game complicates things, when considering White's rib injury, and waiting to see if he's logging full practices at the end of the week before making that decision. I'd personally rather have a Geno with a tough match-up, vs relying on a red hot Mike White with an easy matchup who might not even play, or might not finish the game if he takes a wrong hit. Others seem to prefer Daniel Jones over Geno, since he's available on a lot of WWs, but I don't expect more than a middling stat line, even if Danny Dimes ran for 70 yards against Washington a couple of weeks ago.

This is a tough one. We don't want our QB to put up 10 points in a critical playoff matchup.
I don't expect a lot tonight so I am rolling the dice with Watson instead. Geno has had a good year but I don't see him as a guy that is matchup proof.

I don't expect a lot tonight so I am rolling the dice with Watson instead. Geno has had a good year but I don't see him as a guy that is matchup proof.

I'm doing the same exact thing. I love what Geno has been able to do this year, but this match-up is not good at all...

I was fortunate to snag Tannehill off of waivers, and will go with him over Geno this week (Murray and Geno were my only 2 QBs). (I absolutely agree with @skillz that Geno is not matchup proof.)

If you think SF can win this game easily, there could be garbage points to earn. Geno had a good game last week that way after his early pick helped put them in a hole.

Geno Smith completed 31-of-44 passes for 238 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' 21-13, Week 15 loss to the 49ers, adding an 18-yard rush.​

Running for his life as Seattle's offensive line crumbled in the face of San Francisco's relentless pass rush, Smith took three sacks and narrowly avoided countless more. The pressure meant there was no time for anything to develop down field, and Smith averaged just 5.4 yards per attempt with a long gain off 33 where running back Ken Walker did most of the damage after the catch. No one else snagged a completion of longer than 19 yards. Smith also tossed a hellacious pick-six as Nick Bosa bore down on him, but the miscue was undone by an extremely questionable roughing the passer penalty. Smith has not been playing the best football of late, but this poor performance really was about the pressure. Things won't get much easier in Week 16 where Smith is likely to get put into too many predictable passing situations as the Seahawks are all but certain to be playing from behind in Kansas City.
Dec 15, 2022, 11:30 PM ET

If you think SF can win this game easily, there could be garbage points to earn. Geno had a good game last week that way after his early pick helped put them in a hole.

The late TD certainly helped salvage his night. It was pretty ugly up until then.

The late TD certainly helped salvage his night. It was pretty ugly up until then.

Yeah, that was a bad game for Geno. Up until that TD drive, his best play was the (phantom) roughing the passer call that he drew on his pick-6.

SEA playing calling is pretty static as well. I don't think they called more than 1 running play in any 4-down series. It feels like they've got a Tecmo Bowl playbook.

Could have been worse for sure, but definitely glad I avoided the start. We'll see if that decision pays off on Sunday.

Geno Smith completed 25-of-35 attempts for 253 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in the Seahawks' 41-23 Wild Card loss to the 49ers.​

The Seahawks were bound and determined to stick with a hyper-conservative offensive approach that included interior rushing plays on third and short against a brick wall 49ers run defense. It was only after Seattle fell behind by three touchdowns that the Seahawks relented and let Geno cook. Smith's 2022 season -- exceeding anyone's highest expectations -- ended with a thud, with the veteran unable to crack seven yards per attempt in any of his final five games. After throwing 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions and leading the league in completion rate, Smith will enter the offseason as a free agent who could have his choice of quarterback-needy teams. He could also re-sign with Seattle if the team doesn't take a QB in the first round of the NFL Draft.
Jan 14, 2023, 7:39 PM ET

(thehuddle) Seattle Seahawks QB Geno Smith and the team have started preliminary discussions regarding a contract extension, according to head coach Pete Carroll during his weekly interview with 710 ESPN Seattle. Analysis: Smith led the league with a 69.8 percent completion rate and threw for 4,282 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, providing Seattle with a much-smoother-than-expected transition from Russell Wilson. The Seahawks could theoretically select a quarterback with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but it is very possible the top prospects at the position (Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud) will be gone by that point. Expect Smith to remain Seattle's quarterback for the foreseeable future.

(thehuddle) Seattle Seahawks QB Geno Smith and the team have started preliminary discussions regarding a contract extension, according to head coach Pete Carroll during his weekly interview with 710 ESPN Seattle. Analysis: Smith led the league with a 69.8 percent completion rate and threw for 4,282 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 interceptions, providing Seattle with a much-smoother-than-expected transition from Russell Wilson. The Seahawks could theoretically select a quarterback with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but it is very possible the top prospects at the position (Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud) will be gone by that point. Expect Smith to remain Seattle's quarterback for the foreseeable future.
…….or the could draft Will Levis

…….or the could draft Will Levis

Stop trying to will Will Levis onto other teams 😂

Seahawks QB Geno Smith said contract talks with the team are "looking very good."​

"We've had talks and we're in the process of getting all that settled right now," Smith said from the Pro Bowl in Las Vegas. "It's looking very good. We think we can get some things done." Seahawks GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll have said the team wants to re-sign Smith, though both stopped short of saying it would happen. Extending Smith could come at a discount after the 32-year-old career backup made a surprise Pro Bowl and postseason run as Russell Wilson's replacement. Franchising Smith would cost Seattle $32 million (15% of cap space) in 2023. With Denver's No. 5 overall pick, Seattle will have a shot at drafting a top quarterback if they move on from Smith.
SOURCE: ESPN
Feb 4, 2023, 11:49 AM ET

Geno Smith has been named the Associated Press' 2022 Comeback Player of the Year.​

Smith went from a supposed training camp competition with Drew Lock to making his first Pro Bowl at the age of 32. An every-game starter for the first time since his rookie year in New York in 2013, Smith blew away his previous career highs as he posted 4,282 yards to go along with his stellar 30:11 TD:INT ratio. Smith's 69.8 completion percentage led the league. Although Smith's stunning revival began to stall out a bit down the stretch, it was still enough to guide the Seahawks to a playoff berth in their first post-Russell Wilson campaign. Fully deserving of his comeback honors, Smith will also be fully deserving of whatever the contract the Seahawks bestow upon the free-agent-to-be.
Feb 9, 2023, 10:03 PM ET

ESPN's Dan Graziano would be surprised if the Seahawks use the franchise tag on Geno Smith.​

Graziano noted that the two sides are working toward a long-term contract. However, he doesn't see them using the tag on him whether or not they are close to a deal ahead of the Tuesday deadline to assign tags. If they can't come to an agreement, Geno will hit the open market, able to sign a new contract with anyone. Graziano ultimately said he expects the Comeback Player of the Year to re-sign in Seattle. That would make sense for both sides as Geno is coming off a career year and the Seahawks have more than enough cap space to keep him on the roster.
SOURCE: ESPN
Mar 5, 2023, 11:14 AM ET

CBS has it on their front page

$105M for 3 years, seems pretty reasonable(I must be drunk) if they decide to draft a QB as well at some point along the way
There has to be multiple ways both sides can get out of this and also extend or add on if they choose to.
I don't know that this advances the Seattle cause or gets them a deep run in the Playoffs.

Last edited:

$105M for 3 years, seems pretty reasonable if they decide to draft a QB as well at some point along the way
There has to be multiple ways both sides can get out of this and also extend or add on if they choose to.
I don't know that this advances the Seattle cause or gets them a deep run in the Playoffs.
seems excessive but what do I know

Between this and a likely Daniel Jones extension, I really don't understand why teams are that afraid of the unknown, as to "lock up" mediocre talent, especially when only slightly lesser talent costs like 25% as much.

If my options are Jones at 40, Geno at 35, or Brissett at 10 with a rookie added, I would think Brissett/rookie would be the easy call.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Seattle (and NYG) are taking steps backward next season.

$105M for 3 years, seems pretty reasonable if they decide to draft a QB as well at some point along the way
Alright, let's go that route.
-Geno Smith is now a $35M a year QB, where was he 12 months ago?
-Smith has made a total of $17M over his career, he'll triple that in the first season with $52M set to flow into his bank account.

Where does this put other QBs in the market? Does this give more leverage to a guy like Daniel Jones? Lamar Jackson?
Thanks

Last edited:

It’s possible they believe in him, but the contract could have some outs.

Last edited:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Seahawks are finalizing a multi-year extension with QB Geno Smith.​

The NFL's comeback player of the year appears set to remain the starting quarterback in Seattle into the near future. Smith was set to become a free agent at the beginning of the league year but has now reportedly signed a three-year, $105 million deal to remain in Seattle. Now in his age 33 season, it appears as if Smith is setting up to end his career in Seattle. Smith has had one of the more unique career progressions in recent history, breaking out for his best season as a professional in his ninth NFL season. He threw for 4,282 yards, 30 touchdowns, and led the Seahawks to a wildcard berth in 2022 in what appeared to be a rebuilding year.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Mar 6, 2023, 6:10 PM ET

Alright, let's go that route.
-Geno Smith is now a $35M a year QB, where was he 12 months ago?
-Smith has made a total of $17M over his career, he'll triple that in the first season with $52M set to flow into his bank account.

Where does this put other QBs in the market? Does this give more leverage to a guy like Daniel Jones? Lamar Jackson?
Thanks
i think it's about what was expected and shouldn't move the market much, I'd take Geno over D Jones all day long

I am happy for the Seahawks and Geno! It's so hard to find a decent QB in the NFL and all Geno did was put up 4,200 yards and a 4-to-1 TD to INT ratio and complete nearly 70% of his passes. He's a steal if he keeps producing at, or near, these levels. Now with the QB position secured, Seattle can use their significant draft pick haul from the Russell Wilson trade to give him pieces around him to help them be a playoff mainstay for the years ahead. I really like this move!

Users who are viewing this thread