What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Geno Smith, SEA (1 Viewer)

Geno is quietly becoming a consistent starter like last year.....3/4 games he has been a mid level starter with the 4th being a total disaster against Balt where he should not have been started. He is definitely a matchup dependent high level qb 1 from here on out imo.

Smith-Njigba really gives him another nice weapon and it was good to see him going to him early to soften up the D.

He should gdt right today. WAS D. 31st points per game. 28th yards per game. 28th passing yards per attempt.
That is my hope, he's my replacement for Hurts. I've been holding him a few weeks waiting for this matchup.
Do you co-own my team and I don't know about it?
I don't know, did the good game from Geno not even matter because you ran into a Chargers-Lions stacked buzzsaw team?

He should gdt right today. WAS D. 31st points per game. 28th yards per game. 28th passing yards per attempt.
That is my hope, he's my replacement for Hurts. I've been holding him a few weeks waiting for this matchup.
Do you co-own my team and I don't know about it?
I don't know, did the good game from Geno not even matter because you ran into a Chargers-Lions stacked buzzsaw team?
Yes, it didn't matter. But because I won by 49 ... Guess we're different teams.

Anyone with local knowledge on this? Lost Burrow in a league where I have Geno as my backup. Faust's link above is good news but wondering if anyone's heard anything on local radio, etc.

Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said there was “no structural issue” to Geno Smith’s elbow.

Smith has a “sore elbow” according to Carroll. Whether or not that sore elbow is enough to sideline Smith for Week 12’s contest against the 49ers is to be determined, but with the Seahawks set to play on Thanksgiving, Carroll could opt to turn things over to Drew Lock for one week. Smith returned to the field for the Seahawks’ final drive in Sunday’s loss to the Rams, but this will be something to monitor throughout the week

Seahawks QB Geno Smith (elbow) said he’s feeling better but still experiencing discomfort after triceps contusion.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll previously said Smith would be held out of practice until Wednesday. Smith reiterated that it’s up to Carroll whether he will play Thursday or not. He suffered an elbow injury during the Seahawks’ Week 11 game against the Rams, returning for the last drive. Smith has been diagnosed with a triceps contusion and it’ll be Drew Lock at the helm if Smith cannot go on Thanksgiving against a daunting 49ers defense.

And the OL just decided not to block Parsons on the last play. Did a decent job all game and then.....choke.

On my bench for Howell

Any chance he continues this in the fantasy playoffs? Howells schedule sucks and he has a bye next week.

How serious is this? The line jumped from 10.5 to 13 when the news dropped. So serious chance he doesn't play. Downgrade Sea Wrs if so I would think.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Geno Smith (groin) is “trending in the wrong direction” for Week 14 against the 49ers.
Smith suffered a groin injury in practice on Thursday and did not participate in Friday’s session. He was then listed as questionable. Drew Lock will draw the start if Smith can’t suit up. Per Rapoport, he took all of the reps in practice on Friday and is “preparing to start.” Seattle’s game won’t kick off until the first window of games is near an end, meaning fantasy managers could be stuck without a quarterback if they gamble on Smith and he is ruled out. That alone makes it a situation to avoid. The downgrade to Lock will push both DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett down the wide receiver rankings.

The Eagles pass D is questionable but not their ability to get after the QB.
I gotta decide today and I think I'm going to sit him with the possibility he takes a few hits and leaves the game.
I think he could have a great week so I'm really wanting him but I can't take a loss in the playoffs...of course

Seahawks QB Geno Smith (groin) is a longshot to play on Monday night, according to Ian Rapoport.

Ian Rapoport appeared on Good Morning Football on Monday and didn’t seem optimistic about Geno Smith suiting up against the Eagles. “My understanding is that he has to improve a lot from now until game time to be able to play. Considered a bit of a longshot.” If Smith were to miss his second straight game, the Seahawks would turn to Drew Lock who threw for 269 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions against the 49ers last week.

Geno Smith (groin) was removed from the Week 16 injury report and will play against the Titans.

The news isn’t a surprise as Pete Carroll told as as much earlier in the week. Still, it’s a good sign that Smith made it through a week of full practices without any rumbles of a setback. After missing two games because of the groin issue, Smith will return to face a Titans defense that is vulnerable through the air. He will rank as a high-end QB2 for Week 16.

ESPN’s Field Yates reports the Seahawks have restructured Geno Smith’s contract.

The Seahawks let Smith’s $12.7 million base salary guarantee itself last week, though they’ve now converted his $9.6 million roster bonus into a pro-rated “signing bonus” that will spread out over the remainder of his deal through 2025. The move creates $4.8 million in cap space. Smith predictably regressed off his 2022 career year in 2023, but he remained at least a league-average starter. Considering the receiver weapons at his disposal, he will remain a viable streamer this year even if the Seahawks go majorly run heavy under new coach Mike Macdonald.

Seahawks HC Mike Macdonald did not commit to Geno Smith as the team’s starter for 2024.
Speaking on 93.3 KJR, Macdonald was asked, “Have you made up your mind on who the starter is going to be? Or is it going to be competitive?” In response, the first-year head coach said the team is “always looking, always trying to figure out what’s best for the team all the time” while adding they will “try to make the best decisions for the team.” While Macdonald did say he’s excited to begin working with Smith, he certainly didn’t commit to him as the locked-in starter for 2024. This is the second time in less than a month that the Seahawks have been vague on Smith’s status for next season. In late February, GM John Schneider said Smith is the starting quarterback “until he’s not.” We do know that Smith is under contract for next season and is set to count as $26.4 million against the cap. If he’s not the starter, he’ll be one of the most expensive backups in the league. Backup Drew Lock is set to be an unrestricted free agent but has spent the last two seasons with the team. If it’s not Lock or another vet threatening for the starting job, it will likely be a rookie the team acquires in the draft.

Seahawks HC Mike Macdonald said he is “very confident in Geno (Smith).”
Speaking to reporters Saturday, Macdonald also relayed that Howell “knows he’s going to be our backup.” Slight controversy was introduced when the Seahawks brought in former Commanders quarterback Sam Howell to back up Smith in 2024, with the new head coach squashing those rumors today. Macdonald added that “Sam is a great young player, and he’s got a really bright future that we believe in.” Smith signed a three-year, $75 million contract with the Seahawks prior to the 2023 season and just passed the potential out built into the deal with the start of the new league year. As such, it appears, at least for now, that Macdonald’s recent remarks should be taken at face value as the franchise attempts to get back on track after a down season.

First sign of trouble, Howell will be in the game. Bank on it.
I don’t want to get in a huge back and forth about this, but I disagree. I think Geno has a decent leash.

And this is coming from a huge Tarheel who’s rooting for Howell.
No back and forth coming. It's just one man's opinion (mine). I'm not so sure the leash is as long as you think it is. Stay tuned......

Literally zero chance of this happening. Could he get a shot later in the season, yeah ok maybe but he's not going in the game at "the first sign of trouble"
Wasn't intended as literal ("first sign of trouble"). More like several signs of trouble.
Is "several" literal here, or does it mean "a great many"?

Literally zero chance of this happening. Could he get a shot later in the season, yeah ok maybe but he's not going in the game at "the first sign of trouble"
Wasn't intended as literal ("first sign of trouble"). More like several signs of trouble.
Is "several" literal here, or does it mean "a great many"?
You pick.

That sounds pretty immediate, and I would think Geno has a much longer leash than people claim. The coach didn't commit to him as quickly as you'd like, but in looking at Geno's advanced stats, he's still pretty darn good even compared to a majority of QBs in the league. Seattle is probably aware of that.

Users who are viewing this thread