What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quest to kick a 40-yard FG for $20,000 (1 Viewer)

A 40yd fg would be kicked from the 30yd line.
Whoa, whoa. Slow down, egghead.
lol, when TIS piles on, it must have been a really stupid post.

I just have a hard time grasping how any athletic guy can't hit way more than 50% from the 10yd line.
20 yards is also 60 feet, for those scoring at home :boxing:

I tried all my kicks soccer-style, because that's how I want to practice/train and learn proper form so I can compete; not random dude running straight on to kick one through the uprights. Getting the accuracy and lift on a 20-yarder that way, with no prep or warm-ups, isn't a slam dunk. Hooked a few and launched some line drives :shrug:

I just have a hard time grasping how any athletic guy can't hit way more than 50% from the 10yd line.
I just wanted to use the Chief Wiggum line I had referenced in the Simpsons thread. This seemed like a good time. Wasn't trying to pile on.

20 yards is also 60 feet, for those scoring at home :boxing:

I tried all my kicks soccer-style, because that's how I want to practice/train and learn proper form so I can compete; not random dude running straight on to kick one through the uprights. Getting the accuracy and lift on a 20-yarder that way, with no prep or warm-ups, isn't a slam dunk. Hooked a few and launched some line drives :shrug:
:shrug: Maybe it's harder than I think. I'm curious and will be testing it out myself soon.

cut off your right arm fingers and part of your right foot, then go all tom dempsey on their ### with a club foot.

or......give russell erxleben 10k to be you for a day.
Have to break him out of federal prison first. That'll probably chew up the other 10k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the idea of getting a coach. Soon.

Technique wins in this kind of thing. Hire a guy to teach you to kick properly and you'll be way ahead of the field in no time.

I bet just spending even a few hours with a coach will pay huge dividends.

20 minutes a day?? You should be dedicating at least an hour a day to this thing! And find some other kickers to practice with, maybe from a local college or something.

Agree on the coach. As a former third-string high school kicker (in addition to my responsibilities as a starting offensive tackle), I really think your approach is the best thing you have going for you. With this kind of prep and some serious practice/coaching time, you should be in pretty good shape. The second piece of advice would be to ignore everything these jackasses in the FFA say and rely on what you hear from a professional.

I second the idea of getting a coach. Soon.

Technique wins in this kind of thing. Hire a guy to teach you to kick properly and you'll be way ahead of the field in no time.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HIRE

TO BE YOUR COACH.

Kicking a 40 yarder down at the high school field after work and kicking a 40 yarder at halftime for 20 grand are very different.

Very cool promo though. Reminds me of this book which was a pretty good read: A Few Seconds of Panic

The closest coach I've found so far, for one-on-one sessions, is about 2 hours away. $60 per one hour session, which seems reasonable. While I look for someone closer, so I can work with them more than one time, I'm spending the next week or so working only on stretching, flexibility, leg strength, technique and form. The DVD we got from my son's kicking camp has a bunch of excercises and drills for that. Not going to try live kicking a ball during this time. Also want to find a good pair of kicking cleats before I go out and hit some balls again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest coach I've found so far, for one-on-one sessions, is about 2 hours away. $60 per one hour session, which seems reasonable. While I look for someone closer, so I can work with them more than one time, I'm spending the next week or so working only on stretching, flexibility, leg strength, technique and form. The DVD we got from my son's kicking camp has a bunch of excercises and drills for that. Not going to try live kicking a ball during this time. Also want to find a good pair of kicking cleats before I go out and hit some balls again.
still love this.

I was an All-Region K in HS...40 yarders aren't a cake-walk, but shouldn't be impossible either.

Gym work to get your distance up - you either have the leg to kick 40 yards or you don't. Leg strength exercises will help...Don't focus JUST on your leg, but also your core (twisting motion is where a lot of the power comes from) If you can't kick 40 yards soccer style, go with the toe...your accuracy will SUCK, but you can't make it if you can't kick it 40 yards...

Stretch stretch stretch - I could put my head on my knee when I kicked. It helps...Now I can barely touch my toes.

Keep your head down - Biggest rule of accuracy...watch the ball all the way through the kick. If you look up to see where it goes, you WILL hook it.

Your plant foot determines if it's going to fly straight - If you're in front of the ball, you'll push it. If you're behind the ball, you'll hook it. Use the same run-up every single time. Know every step and plant consistently.

Spin of the ball indicates how you struck it - If it's not spinning much, you hit it too high...it will likely knuckle and not go far. If it's spinning really fast, you hit it too low...

Some things to find out:

Are you kicking off the bare turf or off a kicking block? - Bare grass kicks are difficult because the ball is lower on the ground, meaning it's harder to get lift on the ball. If you're kicking off a block, you'll have an easy time getting height...if not, lift is a lot harder.

Can you adjust the air pressure in the ball? - Old balls are the best. :lol: That's why kickers hated the new ball rule in the NFL. New balls are hard and it's a lot harder to get a good bounce off them. If you have any say in the ball, pick an old, soft one. Not too soft, but not pumped up like a basketball either. Think soccer ball hard...A little bit of give.

Hope this helps!

I was an All-Region K in HS...40 yarders aren't a cake-walk, but shouldn't be impossible either.

Gym work to get your distance up - you either have the leg to kick 40 yards or you don't. Leg strength exercises will help...Don't focus JUST on your leg, but also your core (twisting motion is where a lot of the power comes from) If you can't kick 40 yards soccer style, go with the toe...your accuracy will SUCK, but you can't make it if you can't kick it 40 yards...

Stretch stretch stretch - I could put my head on my knee when I kicked. It helps...Now I can barely touch my toes.

Keep your head down - Biggest rule of accuracy...watch the ball all the way through the kick. If you look up to see where it goes, you WILL hook it.

Your plant foot determines if it's going to fly straight - If you're in front of the ball, you'll push it. If you're behind the ball, you'll hook it. Use the same run-up every single time. Know every step and plant consistently.

Spin of the ball indicates how you struck it - If it's not spinning much, you hit it too high...it will likely knuckle and not go far. If it's spinning really fast, you hit it too low...

Some things to find out:

Are you kicking off the bare turf or off a kicking block? - Bare grass kicks are difficult because the ball is lower on the ground, meaning it's harder to get lift on the ball. If you're kicking off a block, you'll have an easy time getting height...if not, lift is a lot harder.

Can you adjust the air pressure in the ball? - Old balls are the best. :lol: That's why kickers hated the new ball rule in the NFL. New balls are hard and it's a lot harder to get a good bounce off them. If you have any say in the ball, pick an old, soft one. Not too soft, but not pumped up like a basketball either. Think soccer ball hard...A little bit of give.

Hope this helps!
It would be fantastic schtick if Nick made that all up.

Some things to find out:

Hope this helps!
...But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :towelwave:

Marty Morhinweig would advise you to take the wind.
Hasselbeck will tell you to take the ball and say you're gonna score.

Me, I'd probably defer.
Reminds me of one of the kids on my baseball team... at home plate before the game awaiting the coin toss to see who would be home team. Ump tells my player to call it in the air... he flips the coin up and my player said "HOME". :D

Fat Nick said:
El Floppo said:
Fat Nick said:

Some things to find out:

Hope this helps!
...But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... :towelwave:
If he did make it up he did a pretty darn good job. Everything in there is quite accurate.

Nice approach. I believe you will win!

Rather than paying someone I'd think you could go talk to the local college coach and see if he'll let you hang around with the kicker and ST Coach a bit. They might get a kick out of it.

:blackdot:

Good luck!

PS - I'll chip in an extra $20 if you wear a Cowboys jersey... Only if you win though.

$20,000 doesn't seem like a lot for this type of contest. Bunch of cheapskates.......
It is actually pretty doable. Any college kicker could hit a very high percentage from 40 yards on a tee. This contest is not picking a random person out of a crowd, which would be a long shot, but is having a competition to pick the most capable. There should be better than 20 percent chance at success. $20k is a lot to pay for a couple minutes of half time entertainment.

I hope this is successful, but on the odd chance it isn't, which is worse:

On-line but short or Wide left (or right)

If you do all the work that a bunch of these fools are telling you to do, you will be making like 3 bucks an hour if you hit the kick.

I vote that you just get drunk and pick the ball up and try a dropkick.

Nick gives good advice.

If you have never really kicked much before, don't be afraid the first week to kick a soccer ball into a fence barefooted. Your foot will tell you when you hit it right. I teach my soccer kids how to kick properly this way. It will help you develop the proper form in a more repeatable format to develop consistency.

If you hit a soccer ball properly when barefooted, it doesn't really hurt. And if you can't get to the point where you can get a soccer ball up in the air and flying straight, you sure as hell won't get a football going that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread