What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quest to kick a 40-yard FG for $20,000 (3 Viewers)

5 attempts for a 40-yarder, and the prizes were worth more than $20k.

And all these contests are using tees.

So not only is the prize pretty bunk in comparison to other contests, it's got a higher degree of difficulty!

Confirmed with the rep who notified me I was a daily winner that it will be a 40-yard field goal, in length, for the grand prize.

The lawyers who drafted the rules must not follow football.
You better get that in writing from the legal dept. It's awesome that two FBG's are in this but I'm sad about radio silence. I understand why but just sad.

Worked out with the kickers for 2 hours during the team's practice yesterday at my alma mater. Made about 80% of the 25-yarders, and 3 out of 10 30-yarders. Barely feeling it today. Making progress!

Confirmed with the rep who notified me I was a daily winner that it will be a 40-yard field goal, in length, for the grand prize.

The lawyers who drafted the rules must not follow football.
You better get that in writing from the legal dept.It's awesome that two FBG's are in this but I'm sad about radio silence. I understand why but just sad.
?

This isn't like poker - knowing the other guy's hand isn't going to help. Either you can kick the ball or you can't. And, to be honest, it is pretty likely that neither guy here wins this thing.

ETA: Glad to see the Noid posting.

I just put together my kicking "tripod" out of 1/2" pvc, so I am ready to start training. I will see if I can match the noid's % on my first kicking session.

Well took a few kicks in my yard with the tripod (works great by the way). Was wearing running shoes. Accuracy was great, kicking everything straight. Distance was OK, based on my striding it out, I think I was kicking about 35 yds, which means about 30 yd fg range (give or take). Next I need to get some soccer cleats and start kicking at a goal post.

Used this guide for the tripod: http://entertainmentguide.local.com/make-own-field-goal-kicking-tees-9013.html

Well today was the contest. I made my first two kicks and then missed from 25. Just barely went left, probably about 3 ft from the post...

How did you do noid? I was the big tall guy with the beard...

So about half the people missed 15 yd. Then another half missed 20.

At 25 yds there were 15 people left. That's when I missed. 7 people made it to 30 yds. And 5 of them made it to 35 yds.

3 guys made the 35 yd fg and had to attempt 40 yds. They all missed, so all 3 of them attempted 40 yds again. One guy made it on the 2nd attempt, so he was the winner.

So about half the people missed 15 yd. Then another half missed 20.

At 25 yds there were 15 people left. That's when I missed. 7 people made it to 30 yds. And 5 of them made it to 35 yds.

3 guys made the 35 yd fg and had to attempt 40 yds. They all missed, so all 3 of them attempted 40 yds again. One guy made it on the 2nd attempt, so he was the winner.
:popcorn:

Lizard Kings covered most of it. As for me, I made 2, before missing.

• 45 people showed up (of the 61 winners)
  • 23 made it from 15 yards
  • 15 made it from 20
  • 7 made it from 25
  • 5 made it from 30
  • 3 made it from 35
  • Those 3 all missed from 40, kicked again, and the one guy made it
I sized up the competition by looking at people's shoes. Those with well-worn soccer cleats were the favorites. The guy who won had a pair of $200 cleats, well-worn. So either did a lot of practicing in those two weeks, or has played a lot of soccer. Couple guys with regular sneakers, a guy or two in jeans, one guy had a football shoe on his plant foot and a soccer shoe on his kicking foot. Only about 6 or so women in the contest.

Another of the guys in the final 3 (wearing a skull cap), had to be a former high-school or former/current college kicker. He was no-nonsense in setting up and kicking and booted a couple down the middle (pre-40 yard attempts) that could have been good from 50+.

There was a current female D-II soccer player I thought had a chance, but didn't have the leg once it got to the 35 yarders.

30 yarders were my max range with any consistency, so I didn't have a real shot. A lot of the contestants were really good.

And the "approximate retail value of $200" gift bag we all got was missing a $200 bill. It was an Eagles yearbook, a water bottle, plastic sunglasses and chapstick. Still had fun and it was a cool experience :cool:

ETA: It was indoors, because of rain, so I thought that would help since I did most of my training on turf, not grass.

Pulling for the kid that won, so I'll make sure to stay in my seat at halftime for the Titan's game. It's going to be a lot different in the cold, outside, with wind, in front of 60k people. But he's got a few more weeks to practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and worst kick of the day was by Ike Reese (41 year-old former Eagles LB and current sports radio host), who tried a 20-yarder that never left the ground and went parallel to the goal line, hitting the row of family and firends that were there for the contestants.

Oh, and worst kick of the day was by Ike Reese (41 year-old former Eagles LB and current sports radio host), who tried a 20-yarder that never left the ground and went parallel to the goal line, hitting the row of family and firends that were there for the contestants.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Another of the guys in the final 3 (wearing a skull cap), had to be a former high-school or former/current college kicker. He was no-nonsense in setting up and kicking and booted a couple down the middle (pre-40 yard attempts) that could have been good from 50+.
I thought for sure that guy was going to drill it from 40 for the walk off win... He actually kicked it over the net from 30 or 35 from what I remember. In the end, the pressure was too much.

What got me was that the guy who went before me at 25 missed. I thought he was one of the favorites (younger guy who kicked left footed - I think his mom brought him). So that got in my head a bit, and sure I enough I missed too. Kicking Fg's is very much a mental challenge....

I thought for sure that guy was going to drill it from 40 for the walk off win... He actually kicked it over the net from 30 or 35 from what I remember. In the end, the pressure was too much.

What got me was that the guy who went before me at 25 missed. I thought he was one of the favorites (younger guy who kicked left footed - I think his mom brought him). So that got in my head a bit, and sure I enough I missed too. Kicking Fg's is very much a mental challenge....
Whatever you say, Norwood.

It's so cool that Noid and Lizard Kings were both in this. Would've loved to see a better ending for either of you. I'm still interested to hear if the winner makes it so let us know. Homemade video posted here is even better! Thanks guys.

It's so cool that Noid and Lizard Kings were both in this. Would've loved to see a better ending for either of you. I'm still interested to hear if the winner makes it so let us know. Homemade video posted here is even better! Thanks guys.
Here is my miss: http://youtu.be/9Efwk3L0Qxs
Damn... could have used that $20K for a new camera.
Well that is from my brothers iphone and he emailed it to me so it probably got compressed. If I can get a better copy of it, I will repost it.

Users who are viewing this thread