What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quest to kick a 40-yard FG for $20,000 (3 Viewers)

Sucks that they made it a 40 yd fg. A 30 yd fg would give the contestant a fighting chance.
If it's kicked from the 30 yard line, it'll be a 40 yard field goal. Not sure if that's been pointed out yet.
Yes I realize that, but didnt the OP say he had been making some 30 yd FGs? There are college kickers who cant hit 40 yd FGs with regularity.
I was just kidding. It's a running joke in this thread.

Sucks that they made it a 40 yd fg. A 30 yd fg would give the contestant a fighting chance.
If it's kicked from the 30 yard line, it'll be a 40 yard field goal. Not sure if that's been pointed out yet.
Whoa, whoa... Slow down, Egghead.
:lmao:
See, it hurts, doesn't it?
My apologies, GB.
Well, that's a little better.

Wouldn't the ball go farther if he started farther back and ran up to it? Kickoff style
I don't know for sure, but it's likely a kickstand, not a tee, I will be kicking off of. When they did the same contest a couple weeks ago for writers and media personalities, it was a kickstand. So if it's going to be placed like a FG, and not a kick-off, my thinking is to approach it like a field goal all the way.

Wouldn't the ball go farther if he started farther back and ran up to it? Kickoff style
I don't know for sure, but it's likely a kickstand, not a tee, I will be kicking off of. When they did the same contest a couple weeks ago for writers and media personalities, it was a kickstand. So if it's going to be placed like a FG, and not a kick-off, my thinking is to approach it like a field goal all the way.
The main reason for the short approach on a field goal is to avoid the rush. I would think a few more steps with some additional speed would be the way to go.

Got connected with the head coach of the football team from my undergrad alma mater and he gave me an open invite to work-out with the kickers during their practices. So thanks to all that suggested that!

Got connected with the head coach of the football team from my undergrad alma mater and he gave me an open invite to work-out with the kickers during their practices. So thanks to all that suggested that!
This should be enough to put you through the uprights!

also, fyi - the rules say it will be kicked from the 40 yd line - which makes this a 50 yd fg! big difference from a 40 yarder.
Man, completely different regime. If off the ground and not a tee we're talking a vanishingly small number of people could hit this. Miniscule.

also, fyi - the rules say it will be kicked from the 40 yd line - which makes this a 50 yd fg! big difference from a 40 yarder.
Well, that makes it nearly impossible. Not even worth the effort IMHO.
All the press releases call it a 40 yard field goal. The rules may be a typo, because they have advertised it otherwise.
I hope you are right. 40 yds is doable, but 50 is crazy.

I have to go radio silent now on my training and updates, with another contestant here!

You're right, though, the rules all specify the yard-line the kick is attempted from, not the length of the field goal. But all of the promotional stuff for the contest states it's a 40-yard field goal. If a FBG wins the preliminary contest, we need a FBG lawyer to make sure this is from the 30 yard-line.

For the preliminary contest, it says we start with a kick from the 25, so that's a 35 yarder. No way more than 5 (of the 61) people off the street make that in one try. So it's going to be a quick session that day.

All participants get an Eagles gift bag worth approx. $200, just for being a daily winner, so that's something.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, though, the rules all specify the yard-line the kick is attempted from, not the length of the field goal. But all of the promotional stuff for the contest states it's a 40-yard field goal. If a FBG wins the preliminary contest, we need a FBG lawyer to make sure this is from the 30 yard-line.
Solution: bring your own goalposts and install them at the goal line. I bet there's nothing in the rules prohibiting that.

I have to go radio silent now on my training and updates, with another contestant here!

For the preliminary contest, it says we start with a kick from the 25, so that's a 35 yarder. No way more than 5 people (of the 61) people off the street make that in one try. So it's going to be a quick session that day.

All participants get an Eagles gift bag worth approx. $200, just for being a daily winner, so that's something.
Yup, the $200 gift bag and just being at nova care will make this a win for me.

If by some way, I actually make it through to the final and get to kick at half time, well that would be unbelievable.

Yes I realize that, but didnt the OP say he had been making some 30 yd FGs? There are college kickers who cant hit 40 yd FGs with regularity.
College?? There are NFL kickers that can't.... F'n Nate Freese :wall:

Solution: bring your own goalposts and install them at the goal line. I bet there's nothing in the rules prohibiting that.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvV3yN2CMAAMX_G.jpg:large

Movable goal posts. This sheds some light on the confusion...

Confirmed with the rep who notified me I was a daily winner that it will be a 40-yard field goal, in length, for the grand prize.

The lawyers who drafted the rules must not follow football.

Confirmed with the rep who notified me I was a daily winner that it will be a 40-yard field goal, in length, for the grand prize.

See, if they would have read my post a while back they'd have known what to include in the rules.

And you guys gave me a hard time...

But it's the lawyers and not the reps that will make a point of it when they decide not to pay up...
"the rules only state that the kick will be from the 40-yard line. There is no rule against me placing the goalpost at the 30 yard-line" :suckitlawyers:

Users who are viewing this thread