What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (2 Viewers)

I finished no thanks to the Chicago PD. This was a great experience and I will elaborate in detail tommorow. thanks for all the great advice. It worked.

I finished no thanks to the Chicago PD. This was a great experience and I will elaborate in detail tommorow. thanks for all the great advice. It worked.
Whew! I've been at a downtown conference Sunday pm and Monday, and seeing a number of folks who competed. They all confirm that it was brutal. Yet I know several people who finished, though most did so with a lot of walking. A big part of the problem was people who'd take a few cups of water and douse themselves, then a couple more to drink. That left little for those in the back of the pack.

Whew! I've been at a downtown conference Sunday pm and Monday, and seeing a number of folks who competed. They all confirm that it was brutal. Yet I know several people who finished, though most did so with a lot of walking. A big part of the problem was people who'd take a few cups of water and douse themselves, then a couple more to drink. That left little for those in the back of the pack.
Phew Indeed and huge bragging rights for toughing it out. I read about some finishers tossing their medal away (or at race officials) :sad:Not so sure I'd let the folks who organized the event off the hook for people douseing themselves (I don't think you were saying this). I am staying in Tinley Park for a meeting in Oak Forest today and got to see some of the local news footage which inculded a bunch of spectator camera phone shots. They were sickening and sad to see. This wasn't some community 5K for charity. This was a HUGE sponsor in a HUGE town. I can't believe someone would not have had the thought to have semi trailers loaded with pallettes of bottled water readied just in case.eta, Oak Forest, not Oak Park

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on the radio this afternoon that the guy that died had a pre-existing heart condition and did not die from the heat. Ran 5.05 miles this afternoon, and I tried to follow what I read in Chi Running. First off I ran it in my 3rd fastest time for that run, 47:22, a 9:23 pace. And to be honest it felt like it was an easy run.I did have trouble with the leaning. When I think lean, my body bends at the waist. To get the desired lean, I have to imagine that I am running with my feet behind me. So when I want to speed up, I put my feet behind me, which makes me feel like I am falling forward, which lengthens my stride, and makes me run faster. I have never done the big arm swing that he talks about, so I did that tonight and it felt natural. The only thing I really need to get used to is the way the gait feels while I am running. It is different than my old gait. Also it is weird trying to swing my legs like a pendulum. I have to say that my calves have been hurting since I finished my run yesterday. They stopped hurting sometime during the run today, and they do not hurt now.Of course I am probably doing everything wrong. This weekend I will get some video of me running to see what it shows. I hope everyone else has had a great day.
FWIW: My colleague who Chi-runs said his calves hurt for the first couple of weeks of running as well. I'm hoping to give my first go at it this Sunday.

:clap: :lmao: :football: Congrat's Rusty!! Great to hear that you are alive and well, and actually had a great experience. The last marathon I ran had similar conditions, and my final time was an hour more than what I was training for, and virtually every muscle in my body was sore for a week including muscle spasms galore. Good fun!

Note to self: run NYC with fuel belt a 5gallon bottle of water strapped to my back.
Fixed.5k last night, in 26:37. Almost considered walking after 2mi (ptts = "meh, it's just supposed to be an easy run in the week before the race"), but stuck it out. I ran an old route near where my daughter has gymnastics, but didn't take into account the time of day or time of year. I ended up running in the dark, and had little light to help me avoid potholes or running straight into a canal. So, I was concentrating on watching the road in front of me, instead of worrying about the temp, tiredness, aches, etc. Hopefully I can carry that mindset into my race on Sunday, finding something to distract me from any ptts-ing like in Virginia Beach last month. Just find me a busty redhead who's at about a 9:00 pace to run behind, and a PR is mine! :lmao: lol

73/53 and partly cloudy for San Jose on raceday. Could be better, but I'll take it.
Down to 68/54 and partly cloudy now. :thumbup:
The weather dude is effing with me now. :angry: Forecast is 70/51 and mostly sunny (Lord how I hate that term -- it's either partly or mostly CLOUDY! party or mostly "sunny" is stupid :wall: ). Showers are forecast for Monday, one day late! :cry:

Note to self: run NYC with fuel belt a 5gallon bottle of water strapped to my back.
Fixed.5k last night, in 26:37. Almost considered walking after 2mi (ptts = "meh, it's just supposed to be an easy run in the week before the race"), but stuck it out. I ran an old route near where my daughter has gymnastics, but didn't take into account the time of day or time of year. I ended up running in the dark, and had little light to help me avoid potholes or running straight into a canal. So, I was concentrating on watching the road in front of me, instead of worrying about the temp, tiredness, aches, etc. Hopefully I can carry that mindset into my race on Sunday, finding something to distract me from any ptts-ing like in Virginia Beach last month. Just find me a busty redhead who's at about a 9:00 pace to run behind, and a PR is mine! :lmao: lol

73/53 and partly cloudy for San Jose on raceday. Could be better, but I'll take it.
Down to 68/54 and partly cloudy now. :thumbup:
The weather dude is effing with me now. :lmao: Forecast is 70/51 and mostly sunny (Lord how I hate that term -- it's either partly or mostly CLOUDY! party or mostly "sunny" is stupid :wall: ). Showers are forecast for Monday, one day late! :cry:
I don't know San Jose weather that well- but growing up in the Bay Area, it's 50s-60s and partly cloudly all year. Add some degrees and take away some clouds for San Jose, IIRC (the coastal range blocks out a fair bit, and San Jose is suprisingly inland). Don't sweat it, RS! Barring rain, the weather will be great.

I heard on the radio this afternoon that the guy that died had a pre-existing heart condition and did not die from the heat. Ran 5.05 miles this afternoon, and I tried to follow what I read in Chi Running. First off I ran it in my 3rd fastest time for that run, 47:22, a 9:23 pace. And to be honest it felt like it was an easy run.I did have trouble with the leaning. When I think lean, my body bends at the waist. To get the desired lean, I have to imagine that I am running with my feet behind me. So when I want to speed up, I put my feet behind me, which makes me feel like I am falling forward, which lengthens my stride, and makes me run faster. I have never done the big arm swing that he talks about, so I did that tonight and it felt natural. The only thing I really need to get used to is the way the gait feels while I am running. It is different than my old gait. Also it is weird trying to swing my legs like a pendulum. I have to say that my calves have been hurting since I finished my run yesterday. They stopped hurting sometime during the run today, and they do not hurt now.Of course I am probably doing everything wrong. This weekend I will get some video of me running to see what it shows. I hope everyone else has had a great day.
FWIW: My colleague who Chi-runs said his calves hurt for the first couple of weeks of running as well. I'm hoping to give my first go at it this Sunday.
No, I meant that my calves stopeed hurting after a mile of chi-running.

So when the calves stop hurting with the Chi-Running... is that when the tantric sex starts?

Sore but good. My knee is having some issues but that will go away this week, I'm sure. I was just reading up. I posted right before I left so there was a couple pages to read. I am leaving for an hour or two but will post later.

gruecd> :goodposting: see you saturday
That's the plan. To everyone else in here, I'm planning on meeting Furley on Saturday morning at the 15th Annual American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Awareness 5-Mile Run in Green Bay. Or at least I'm doing the 5-mile run; Furley said that he's not ready for five miles, so he's doing the 2-mile "fun run." :thumbup: Personally, I think he just doesn't want me to embarrass him in the 5 miler. ;)

In any case, went out tonight and did an easy 8-mile run in 1:03. Glad to see that fall has returned to the Midwest; the heat index was 102 when I ran in Minneapolis on Sunday, and tonight the wind chill was 40. Go figure.

I think my 5-mile race PR is about 34:04 (6:50). If the cooler weather sticks around, I think I can probably shave a minute or so off that time on Saturday.

So when the calves stop hurting with the Chi-Running... is that when the tantric sex starts?
:lmao: I hope not :coffee:

I'll let you know as soon as I find out what tantric means.

Tantric Sex

The people who know it, and practice the techniques, consider Tantric sex a vehicle to higher consciousness. Though it is one of many paths or avenues to consciousness few other paths consider anything to do with sex to be worthy of the task.

Sexuality is one of the biggest blind spots modern cultures have. Tantric sexual practices occur with eyes wide open, with ritual and communication and honoring of the male and female essences...

hmmm female essence.....

What a crazy weekend. I had been through Chicago but I had never been in it. Great city as far as I am concerned.

So my group of 5 showed up at 7:15 or so to the chaos of the race. People everywhere. Just amazing. The lines to the toliets were about a mile long so tons of peole were using whatever they could to pee. As did we. It was 76 degrees at 7:00am. One of the guys went up to the 8 minute pace leaving the 4 of us who had trained together for the last year. Our wives showed up and we did pictures etc. We were aiming for a 9:45 pace before the heat so we decided to drop back to the 10:15 pace. We climbed the fence and waited briefly. Jo Dee Messina did a great job on the American Anthem.

The race started and we slowly walked up to the start line. It took about 12 minutes before we got there. It was amzing starting with the music blasting and the people cheering on. By the time I ran into the tunnel, I would guess 1/4 mile, I was sweating. We ran together with 2 in front and 2 in back. We were averaging 10-10:30 minute miles and going with the pace. Starting in mile 3 people started walking so you had to dodge them. The city was electric and it was fun jogging along. By mile 6 there were a lot of people walking so you had to dodge every couple steps. I was completely awed by the water stations. I had wanted to run through them but it wasn't an option. A fast walk was the best you could do. Bottlenecks. The first 9 miles were pretty much in the shade. Mile 9-14 seemed about half and half. After 14 it was just you, the asphault or concrete and the crazy hot temps.

We were having a great time pwatching the crowd and the other runners. We shouted GO HAWKEYES everytime we saw a Hawkeye flag. We were really having trouble keeping our goal times at this point (mile 8) because we were having to zig zag and dodge so many runners who were walking or going slower. I don't think this is typical but didn't consider it at the time. We passed halfway in 2:29 and were feeling great. We really could have been going faster but the traffic was considerable. It was hot and humid but starting to climb fast. I was super hydrated and around mile 4 I started to have the urge to pee. After we crossed halfway we stopped to pee and lube up at the aid station. This was the first time I noticed that the beds there were full.

We run up to the water station at mile 14 and it is bottlenecked big time. We run in and get our water etc. and I run after one of the others in my group. 3 blocks later I realize that this isn't Nate and I stop on the side of the road. I can't find my group. I am freaking out. So I wait for ten minutes at the 23K marker and they don't come. So now I am convinced they are ahead of me. I take off looking for them but by mile 15 now I am wondering if they are behind me. At this point the sun is really really starting to heat up the place. Shade is a thing of the past. So I walked for 1/2 mile at mile 15 hoping they would come up on me. I had plenty left but just wanted to run with the group I had trained with. So when they didn't show up I was in despair. My spirit went into the ground. But I started running again. Convinced that they were ahead of me. I beleived that through the end of the race. They had the GPS watch and I was the only one who hadn't put the chip into my wife's cellphone. So I borrowed a phone from a nice group and left a message telling my wife I was ok. I called another guys wife and left a message there also.

The next 3 miles I ran strong from 16-19. The sun is really up by now and honestly people we actually falling all around me. Every aid station was completely full with people lying on the side walks all around. Ambulances are starting to roar off here and there. I saw one gentleman get carted off that I was sure wasn't going to make it. I'm glad I was wrong. He looked really really bad. At this point the mile markers were starting to be gone every couple of miles. I must have missed them but others were asking me what mile we were on also.

At 12:03 at a turn a bank said it was 93 degrees. On the next stretch on either mile 19 or 20 on Halstad I was informed that they had canceled the race and to walk. This wasn't a sugestion. Police officers were placed to slow people down and the bottleneck made everyone walk for a while. The loud speaker said that the water stations were out of water, the aid stations were full, that they were diverting the race, and that we had to board buses after the next aid station to take us back to the beggining. The crowd was mad and rumors started going around. I walked the next little stretch with everyone else and then met a guy right before Little Mexico. This is where I saw the most people down. We discussed that it was crap they were making us walk and decided to run together. We started running and got to the next water station. There was water but half the tables were empty and it took a long time to get water.

We ran through Little China (I think that is the name) but went very slowly. He was having trouble running fast at all and I was starting to get a little out of my head. Again there was water there but not a lot. The gatorade seemed to be manned better. At this point there were a couple buses and some people were getting on them. The police were out in force trying to enforce NO running. We ran a ways and then walked a little around the cops. The police did not want people to finish this race. Honestly I doubt we were running 12 minute miles but at least we kept moving. From mile 19-22 the crowd wasn't there. I was feeling ok. Not great, not top notch but ok. I was good to gobut the guy I was running with wanted to start walking here nd there so I would with him. At mile 23 we had realized they were going to let us finish but they wanted everyone to walk in. The cops were very vocal about this and not nice. At this point runners are going down everywhere. The limited people on the road were helping these people. People were handing out water from there own hoses etc. The city was really helping out. Ice was great at this point.

So we started running at mile 23 and he suddenly went down. It was his hammy???? Inside his leg by his groin. Regardless he could no longer run. I stayed walking with him until mile 24. The 21-24 miles took us 50 minutes. 18-24 took me 40 and 15-18 took me 40 also. The slow time 15-18 was because I was trying to find my friends. At mile 24 I said my goodbyes and wished him luck. The cops were being JERKS at this point!!! I ran my way in at a 8 minute pace for the final 2.2 miles. Boy, I thought the end was in the tall building and I was wrong. Then I thought the end was up the bridge, I was wrong. Finally I turned and saw the end and was like holy crap. It was a ways off. I kept my pace and finshed. Going within an arms reach of my wife at the 100 meter point but not knowing it.

Now this whole time I had expected the guys with me to be done arounf 4:3--4:45 with the heat. They were not there when I finished so I went to the W on the fountain. No one was there.I borrowed a couple cell phones and tried to reach any of my party. I was convinced they were ahead of me and was really worried that someone had gone down. Finally my wife found me and told me I was the first to finish. My friends wife had her cell phone and I had left messages on his phone. My wife had not checked hers. The others had called and let them know that they had lost me. So my wife had been worried sick, exactly what I didn't want.

They finished 1/2 hour after me. They had had to walk alot because one of them had become very dizzy. It was great to see them at the fountain. Hugs all around and everyone was happyish with the performance. We had wanted to run it all but that was not to be. 3 of us could have-I am sure. We are planning another because we were not happy with our times but it was out of our control. I FINISHED in 5:23. They finished at 5:51. They had searched for me also. So I am 100% sure we could have shaved 15 minutes off my time with no problem. No shame in that on a day like we had. Those last 12 miles for me were some tough times alone.

I personally didn't hear this but my friends did. One is a doctor, one an accountant, and then my best friend. Good people. Respected people that I trust without question. They heard a police officer say on the loud speaker that "if you run we will chase you down and prosecute you." The doctor did his residency in Chicago and beleived them. Also they said that the water was gone completely in a couple stops. Our other friend finished in 3:39, which is very slow for him. He got sick afterwards and had to go back to the hotel with his wife before we got done. He said things were different this year. He was not impressed. This was his 3rd one in Chicago and he said that bleachers were missing and other things. He had specific complaints but I can't think of them.

I went to the expo and that was cool. I bought a belt from SPIbelt.com . It was small and tight but I could fit 5-6 gels and my aspirin in there. I got lucky. It was great to run in. I got burnt but not horribly. I had suscreen on, sunglasses, and a hat but it was bright out. My buddy had a sweatband on and sunscreen but his burn is hilarious. That night we went out to eat and I had a half portion and half of a beer. I had to force that and it made me feel sick.

So in summary I thought that the city of Chicago supported this race greatly. I can only imagine how many people show up when it is nicer. I read that there were no water shortages in the Tribune but that is not true. I read that they added a ton of extra water etc. Great. But you mean to tell me that they added that much extra and 10,000 people didn't run, and another 11,000 didn't get to finish and they still ran out? They were not prepared. That is the bottom line. I get that opinion after talking to a runner from Florida and one from Oklahoma. The Florida runner said it wasn't bad out and no big deal. He was ready. The Oklahoma runner's family puts on the race in Oklahoma City. He said that they get the hot races and they know 10 days out and they prepare. He said that they just were not ready. He was extremely disappointed and mad. He knows the ins and outs and has done a ton of the marathons. I trust this guys opinion. They were right to call it because more people would have died,IMO. It really does suck for them to get cut off. I starter with 12 minutes on the clock and went through the halfway at 2:42 so if I had been 18 minutes slower I wouldn't have been able to finish. Unreal.

Just wonderful people that were in the crowd and running. It was a great bond between people and it truly made the race special to me. Thanks to all the great posters in this forum that helped me out. The advice was great. My wife is talking about planning a trip around my next one and I want to run another one or two.....

Just wanted to add it was a 12:19 minute per mile total. What a first marathon.

What a crazy weekend. I had been through Chicago but I had never been in it. Great city as far as I am concerned. So my group of 5 showed up at 7:15 or so to the chaos of the race. People everywhere. Just amazing. The lines to the toliets were about a mile long so tons of peole were using whatever they could to pee. As did we. It was 76 degrees at 7:00am. One of the guys went up to the 8 minute pace leaving the 4 of us who had trained together for the last year. Our wives showed up and we did pictures etc. We were aiming for a 9:45 pace before the heat so we decided to drop back to the 10:15 pace. We climbed the fence and waited briefly. Jo Dee Messina did a great job on the American Anthem.The race started and we slowly walked up to the start line. It took about 12 minutes before we got there. It was amzing starting with the music blasting and the people cheering on. By the time I ran into the tunnel, I would guess 1/4 mile, I was sweating. We ran together with 2 in front and 2 in back. We were averaging 10-10:30 minute miles and going with the pace. Starting in mile 3 people started walking so you had to dodge them. The city was electric and it was fun jogging along. By mile 6 there were a lot of people walking so you had to dodge every couple steps. I was completely awed by the water stations. I had wanted to run through them but it wasn't an option. A fast walk was the best you could do. Bottlenecks. The first 9 miles were pretty much in the shade. Mile 9-14 seemed about half and half. After 14 it was just you, the asphault or concrete and the crazy hot temps.We were having a great time pwatching the crowd and the other runners. We shouted GO HAWKEYES everytime we saw a Hawkeye flag. We were really having trouble keeping our goal times at this point (mile 8) because we were having to zig zag and dodge so many runners who were walking or going slower. I don't think this is typical but didn't consider it at the time. We passed halfway in 2:29 and were feeling great. We really could have been going faster but the traffic was considerable. It was hot and humid but starting to climb fast. I was super hydrated and around mile 4 I started to have the urge to pee. After we crossed halfway we stopped to pee and lube up at the aid station. This was the first time I noticed that the beds there were full.We run up to the water station at mile 14 and it is bottlenecked big time. We run in and get our water etc. and I run after one of the others in my group. 3 blocks later I realize that this isn't Nate and I stop on the side of the road. I can't find my group. I am freaking out. So I wait for ten minutes at the 23K marker and they don't come. So now I am convinced they are ahead of me. I take off looking for them but by mile 15 now I am wondering if they are behind me. At this point the sun is really really starting to heat up the place. Shade is a thing of the past. So I walked for 1/2 mile at mile 15 hoping they would come up on me. I had plenty left but just wanted to run with the group I had trained with. So when they didn't show up I was in despair. My spirit went into the ground. But I started running again. Convinced that they were ahead of me. I beleived that through the end of the race. They had the GPS watch and I was the only one who hadn't put the chip into my wife's cellphone. So I borrowed a phone from a nice group and left a message telling my wife I was ok. I called another guys wife and left a message there also.The next 3 miles I ran strong from 16-19. The sun is really up by now and honestly people we actually falling all around me. Every aid station was completely full with people lying on the side walks all around. Ambulances are starting to roar off here and there. I saw one gentleman get carted off that I was sure wasn't going to make it. I'm glad I was wrong. He looked really really bad. At this point the mile markers were starting to be gone every couple of miles. I must have missed them but others were asking me what mile we were on also. At 12:03 at a turn a bank said it was 93 degrees. On the next stretch on either mile 19 or 20 on Halstad I was informed that they had canceled the race and to walk. This wasn't a sugestion. Police officers were placed to slow people down and the bottleneck made everyone walk for a while. The loud speaker said that the water stations were out of water, the aid stations were full, that they were diverting the race, and that we had to board buses after the next aid station to take us back to the beggining. The crowd was mad and rumors started going around. I walked the next little stretch with everyone else and then met a guy right before Little Mexico. This is where I saw the most people down. We discussed that it was crap they were making us walk and decided to run together. We started running and got to the next water station. There was water but half the tables were empty and it took a long time to get water. We ran through Little China (I think that is the name) but went very slowly. He was having trouble running fast at all and I was starting to get a little out of my head. Again there was water there but not a lot. The gatorade seemed to be manned better. At this point there were a couple buses and some people were getting on them. The police were out in force trying to enforce NO running. We ran a ways and then walked a little around the cops. The police did not want people to finish this race. Honestly I doubt we were running 12 minute miles but at least we kept moving. From mile 19-22 the crowd wasn't there. I was feeling ok. Not great, not top notch but ok. I was good to gobut the guy I was running with wanted to start walking here nd there so I would with him. At mile 23 we had realized they were going to let us finish but they wanted everyone to walk in. The cops were very vocal about this and not nice. At this point runners are going down everywhere. The limited people on the road were helping these people. People were handing out water from there own hoses etc. The city was really helping out. Ice was great at this point. So we started running at mile 23 and he suddenly went down. It was his hammy???? Inside his leg by his groin. Regardless he could no longer run. I stayed walking with him until mile 24. The 21-24 miles took us 50 minutes. 18-24 took me 40 and 15-18 took me 40 also. The slow time 15-18 was because I was trying to find my friends. At mile 24 I said my goodbyes and wished him luck. The cops were being JERKS at this point!!! I ran my way in at a 8 minute pace for the final 2.2 miles. Boy, I thought the end was in the tall building and I was wrong. Then I thought the end was up the bridge, I was wrong. Finally I turned and saw the end and was like holy crap. It was a ways off. I kept my pace and finshed. Going within an arms reach of my wife at the 100 meter point but not knowing it. Now this whole time I had expected the guys with me to be done arounf 4:3--4:45 with the heat. They were not there when I finished so I went to the W on the fountain. No one was there.I borrowed a couple cell phones and tried to reach any of my party. I was convinced they were ahead of me and was really worried that someone had gone down. Finally my wife found me and told me I was the first to finish. My friends wife had her cell phone and I had left messages on his phone. My wife had not checked hers. The others had called and let them know that they had lost me. So my wife had been worried sick, exactly what I didn't want. They finished 1/2 hour after me. They had had to walk alot because one of them had become very dizzy. It was great to see them at the fountain. Hugs all around and everyone was happyish with the performance. We had wanted to run it all but that was not to be. 3 of us could have-I am sure. We are planning another because we were not happy with our times but it was out of our control. I FINISHED in 5:23. They finished at 5:51. They had searched for me also. So I am 100% sure we could have shaved 15 minutes off my time with no problem. No shame in that on a day like we had. Those last 12 miles for me were some tough times alone.I personally didn't hear this but my friends did. One is a doctor, one an accountant, and then my best friend. Good people. Respected people that I trust without question. They heard a police officer say on the loud speaker that "if you run we will chase you down and prosecute you." The doctor did his residency in Chicago and beleived them. Also they said that the water was gone completely in a couple stops. Our other friend finished in 3:39, which is very slow for him. He got sick afterwards and had to go back to the hotel with his wife before we got done. He said things were different this year. He was not impressed. This was his 3rd one in Chicago and he said that bleachers were missing and other things. He had specific complaints but I can't think of them. I went to the expo and that was cool. I bought a belt from SPIbelt.com . It was small and tight but I could fit 5-6 gels and my aspirin in there. I got lucky. It was great to run in. I got burnt but not horribly. I had suscreen on, sunglasses, and a hat but it was bright out. My buddy had a sweatband on and sunscreen but his burn is hilarious. That night we went out to eat and I had a half portion and half of a beer. I had to force that and it made me feel sick. So in summary I thought that the city of Chicago supported this race greatly. I can only imagine how many people show up when it is nicer. I read that there were no water shortages in the Tribune but that is not true. I read that they added a ton of extra water etc. Great. But you mean to tell me that they added that much extra and 10,000 people didn't run, and another 11,000 didn't get to finish and they still ran out? They were not prepared. That is the bottom line. I get that opinion after talking to a runner from Florida and one from Oklahoma. The Florida runner said it wasn't bad out and no big deal. He was ready. The Oklahoma runner's family puts on the race in Oklahoma City. He said that they get the hot races and they know 10 days out and they prepare. He said that they just were not ready. He was extremely disappointed and mad. He knows the ins and outs and has done a ton of the marathons. I trust this guys opinion. They were right to call it because more people would have died,IMO. It really does suck for them to get cut off. I starter with 12 minutes on the clock and went through the halfway at 2:42 so if I had been 18 minutes slower I wouldn't have been able to finish. Unreal.Just wonderful people that were in the crowd and running. It was a great bond between people and it truly made the race special to me. Thanks to all the great posters in this forum that helped me out. The advice was great. My wife is talking about planning a trip around my next one and I want to run another one or two.....Just wanted to add it was a 12:19 minute per mile total. What a first marathon.
WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! What a memorable experience. You may run another 50 marathons in your life, but this will most likely be the one you have the most vivid memories of. It's awesome that you finished, and your friends did as well. It suxors that you lost each other and that the race organizers had their heads up there asses. Most importantly congrat's on an amazing mental and physical achievement. :goodposting:

Tantric Sex

The people who know it, and practice the techniques, consider Tantric sex a vehicle to higher consciousness. Though it is one of many paths or avenues to consciousness few other paths consider anything to do with sex to be worthy of the task.

Sexuality is one of the biggest blind spots modern cultures have. Tantric sexual practices occur with eyes wide open, with ritual and communication and honoring of the male and female essences...

hmmm female essence.....
This thread needs more tantric! :thumbup:

What a crazy weekend. I had been through Chicago but I had never been in it. Great city as far as I am concerned. SJust wanted to add it was a 12:19 minute per mile total. What a first marathon.
WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! What a memorable experience. You may run another 50 marathons in your life, but this will most likely be the one you have the most vivid memories of. It's awesome that you finished, and your friends did as well. It suxors that you lost each other and that the race organizers had their heads up there asses. Most importantly congrat's on an amazing mental and physical achievement. :rolleyes:
I have to agree with liquors here. You have my enduring respect for finishing. You dodged not only the heat, but THE MAN also. Great write-up, almost makes me want to try a marathon.I wish I had more friends that ran, but I can't get most of them off of their butts.

What a crazy weekend. I had been through Chicago but I had never been in it. Great city as far as I am concerned. SJust wanted to add it was a 12:19 minute per mile total. What a first marathon.
WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! What a memorable experience. You may run another 50 marathons in your life, but this will most likely be the one you have the most vivid memories of. It's awesome that you finished, and your friends did as well. It suxors that you lost each other and that the race organizers had their heads up there asses. Most importantly congrat's on an amazing mental and physical achievement. :lmao:
I have to agree with liquors here. You have my enduring respect for finishing. You dodged not only the heat, but THE MAN also. Great write-up, almost makes me want to try a marathon.I wish I had more friends that ran, but I can't get most of them off of their butts.
:thumbup: Cops, Heat, Traffic-jams.... that's a lot to endure ON TOP of enduring 26.2m! Fantastic work, Rusty- whatever your time, you should be seriously proud of yourself for just getting to the finish line Sunday. I know we are.

Tantric Sex

hmmm female essence.....
This thread needs more tantric! :lmao:
Yup. :X From the linked site, and their description of how to help a guy control his, uh, prematurity:"RAMPER which stands for..

Relax

Awareness

Measure

Pace yourself

Energy circulation

Ride the wave"

But really, that sounds like running advice as well. Who knew there was such a connection between running and tantricity?

And a separate post to offer some serious props to Rusty for finishing this first marathon when men-with-guns are literally telling you to stop! That takes some incredible mental toughness to beat the conditions. Great job, bud!

gruecd> :bye: see you saturday
That's the plan. To everyone else in here, I'm planning on meeting Furley on Saturday morning at the 15th Annual American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Awareness 5-Mile Run in Green Bay. Or at least I'm doing the 5-mile run; Furley said that he's not ready for five miles, so he's doing the 2-mile "fun run." :ptts: Personally, I think he just doesn't want me to embarrass him in the 5 miler. ;)
:shrug: i could probably do the 5-miler but i'd like to finish the race without crawling, crying or soiling myself. :bag:

What kind of times did the last finishers have? What was the cutoff for those who could keep running and those who couldn't?
The results page on the website doesn't lend itself to showing a big list and then sorting it by times, so here's a best guess from what results I can see.I see one finisher in 6:32:34. She was halfway in 2:32:54, so she took 4hrs on the back-nine. Her 30k and 40k splits are missing (but 35k is there), so who knows if this is a valid time.Some weird times. One guy was halfway in 2:55, but finished in 4:28, meaning he ran the 2nd half twice as fast as the first half. :shrug: His last split is at 25k in 3:33, and it's reasonable compared to his previous splits, but this leaves him with 55min to complete the final 10.5mi. Looks like he probably got caught in the shutdown sometime around the 4hr mark.Those who got halfway under 3hrs appear to have mixed results. They either had near-equal halfs (e.g. 2:10+2:20), or terrible 2nd halfs (2:20+3:00). Looks like the heat kicked in around 4hrs and sapped even the fastest runners.Other "slow" times, I see a 6:05, 6:17 (70-74 age group), 6:10, 6:12, (65-69), 6:07, 6:23 (60-64), etc.3:58 65yo, 4:09 63yo and 4:19 67yo!! :wub: :finger:Lots of DNFs. :thumbup:
I think they were letting people cut through the course and "finish" the race without actually running the whole thing.Nice write up Rusty.

We ran through Little China (I think that is the name) but went very slowly. He was having trouble running fast at all and I was starting to get a little out of my head. Again there was water there but not a lot. The gatorade seemed to be manned better. At this point there were a couple buses and some people were getting on them. The police were out in force trying to enforce NO running. We ran a ways and then walked a little around the cops. The police did not want people to finish this race. Honestly I doubt we were running 12 minute miles but at least we kept moving. From mile 19-22 the crowd wasn't there. I was feeling ok. Not great, not top notch but ok. I was good to gobut the guy I was running with wanted to start walking here nd there so I would with him. At mile 23 we had realized they were going to let us finish but they wanted everyone to walk in. The cops were very vocal about this and not nice. At this point runners are going down everywhere. The limited people on the road were helping these people. People were handing out water from there own hoses etc. The city was really helping out. Ice was great at this point.
Not to side with the police but I don't think they didn't want you to finish as much as they didn't want people to die. The aid stations were filled with people and they had run out or were about to run out of ambulances from what I read. It was a frustrating situation for everyone and especially frustrating for the runners but the police were just trying to keep people from running and injuring themselves and the runners did not want to listen.Congrats on finishing and remaining healthy. Glad you were impressed with "my city" and sorry the race was not the best experience it could have been. I have seen a number of Chicago marathons and it is really a neat event when done properly and the weather cooperates.

P.S. Mayor Daley was on the news trying to blame the runners for not realizing they could have been hurt from the heat and not to blame the city. I guess he did not realize race organizers did not supply the basic needs for these runners (i.e. water). oh well.

gruecd> :( see you saturday
That's the plan. To everyone else in here, I'm planning on meeting Furley on Saturday morning at the 15th Annual American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Awareness 5-Mile Run in Green Bay. Or at least I'm doing the 5-mile run; Furley said that he's not ready for five miles, so he's doing the 2-mile "fun run." :X Personally, I think he just doesn't want me to embarrass him in the 5 miler. :thumbdown:
<_< i could probably do the 5-miler but i'd like to finish the race without crawling, crying or soiling myself. :thumbdown:
Or did your nine-year-old nemesis lay down a challenge for the 2-mile run? If so, I know you'll o\/\/n him this time.

gruecd> :thumbdown: see you saturday
That's the plan. To everyone else in here, I'm planning on meeting Furley on Saturday morning at the 15th Annual American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Awareness 5-Mile Run in Green Bay. Or at least I'm doing the 5-mile run; Furley said that he's not ready for five miles, so he's doing the 2-mile "fun run." :X Personally, I think he just doesn't want me to embarrass him in the 5 miler. :thumbup:
<_< i could probably do the 5-miler but i'd like to finish the race without crawling, crying or soiling myself. :thumbdown:
Or did your nine-year-old nemesis lay down a challenge for the 2-mile run? If so, I know you'll o\/\/n him this time.
:( next time i see that kid we're scrappin'

OK, I'm confused. Who's this "mr. id" who suddenly appeared in our thread, and where did he come from? <_<

So I haven't run in the week since my knee blew up like a balloon... and it ####### sucks.

Sunday, I felt almost sick with the need to get out there and put in some miles- and I'm only running 3 days a week max. It's literally like an addiction that I've gone cold-turkey on... and I'm JONESING man! Gots to get me some miles...

Seeing the doc tomorrow- but I know he'll want an MRI and my frigging insurance will take a week to approve it :bag: which means I lose another week of training if I sit on my ### until then.

Race is on Nov 4- 20miler scheduled for this weekend, and then things wind down into a taper. I'll obviously get the docs recommendation/impressions on what's best for the knee given the race, but I'm really hoping to get out there ASAP and do another long run.

Sigh.

So I haven't run in the week since my knee blew up like a balloon... and it ####### sucks.Sunday, I felt almost sick with the need to get out there and put in some miles- and I'm only running 3 days a week max. It's literally like an addiction that I've gone cold-turkey on... and I'm JONESING man! Gots to get me some miles...Seeing the doc tomorrow- but I know he'll want an MRI and my frigging insurance will take a week to approve it :whoosh: which means I lose another week of training if I sit on my ### until then.Race is on Nov 4- 20miler scheduled for this weekend, and then things wind down into a taper. I'll obviously get the docs recommendation/impressions on what's best for the knee given the race, but I'm really hoping to get out there ASAP and do another long run.Sigh.
So you get a five week taper instead of three. :bag: Enjoy it?

So I haven't run in the week since my knee blew up like a balloon... and it ####### sucks.Sunday, I felt almost sick with the need to get out there and put in some miles- and I'm only running 3 days a week max. It's literally like an addiction that I've gone cold-turkey on... and I'm JONESING man! Gots to get me some miles...Seeing the doc tomorrow- but I know he'll want an MRI and my frigging insurance will take a week to approve it :hot: which means I lose another week of training if I sit on my ### until then.Race is on Nov 4- 20miler scheduled for this weekend, and then things wind down into a taper. I'll obviously get the docs recommendation/impressions on what's best for the knee given the race, but I'm really hoping to get out there ASAP and do another long run.Sigh.
So you get a five week taper instead of three. :hifive: Enjoy it?
[Pookie] I tried to kick... but that #### just be callin' me man, it be callin' me, man... I just got to go to it! [/Pookie]Yeah... you're right. Pissed that I was just starting to get some fitness back and wanted to keep eeking the pace faster.

Darrinll40 said:
What a crazy weekend. I had been through Chicago but I had never been in it. Great city as far as I am concerned.

S

Just wanted to add it was a 12:19 minute per mile total. What a first marathon.
WOW!!! Just WOW!!!! What a memorable experience. You may run another 50 marathons in your life, but this will most likely be the one you have the most vivid memories of. It's awesome that you finished, and your friends did as well. It suxors that you lost each other and that the race organizers had their heads up there asses. Most importantly congrat's on an amazing mental and physical achievement. :bag:
Find out where everyone runs around town, and start frequenting it. Strike up conversations and make some new friends. Or, join Team In Training (if you don't mind fundraising for charity) or First Marathon (can't find a link but I think that's their name). An organized group with an organized training plan. Usually just the weekly long run is as a group, but you can team up with others during the rest of the week. :shrug: Just a thought. Marathons are somewhat addictive (at least to me) once you've run one ("once you go marathon, you never go back" :mellow: ). I'm actually finding these half-marathons wanting. "That's it? I'm done already? That's all there is?" I could probably run a different 10k every week and collect the bling (and maybe sneak in for an age group prize), but my sights are set higher. :shrug: I'll go across country for a marathon, but a 10k? Forget it.

Come on out to Phoenix in January, and I'll be happy to run PF Chang's with you. :thumbup: You have a good training base already, so you should be able to ramp it up and be prepared for a marathon by then. ETA: if anyone else wants to join me, the registration fee goes up on Monday, so you have the weekend to decide. :D Use code SWAROCKS for $15 off.

Again, great job Rusty! Too bad it was a clusterbump, but way to hang in there and persevere. :thumbup: And yeah right, some donut-infested cop is going to run anyone down. :lmao:

Amazing story Rusty. Very impressive that you found a way to finish the marathon despite all the odds stacked against you! :goodposting:

Darrinll40 said:
I wish I had more friends that ran, but I can't get most of them off of their butts.
Hi, Darrin. Where do you live? I joined my local running club a couple of years ago, and now I'm the membership director. It's been a great way to make some new "runner" friends.Here's a link to the website for the Road Runners Club of America. Just click on your state, and it will tell you if there are any running clubs in your area (as long as they belong to the RRCA).

Nice job, Rusty. It's like El Floppo said, reading your race report has me "jonesing" for another marathon, and Boston is still six months away! Oh well, I've got shorter races (5-mile and under) each of the next three weekends, so at least I can get some sort of racing fix.

All of us Midwesterners need to get together sometime for a race. It's too late for this year, but maybe next year we can team up for the Fall 50 in Door County, WI. Basically, it's a 50-mile team relay race. There are ten legs ranging from 3-7 miles in length. I know the race director, and he puts on a very good event. I wanted to do it this year, but I couldn't find anybody else who wanted to run. :angry:

Darrinll40 said:
I wish I had more friends that ran, but I can't get most of them off of their butts.
Hi, Darrin. Where do you live? I joined my local running club a couple of years ago, and now I'm the membership director. It's been a great way to make some new "runner" friends.Here's a link to the website for the Road Runners Club of America. Just click on your state, and it will tell you if there are any running clubs in your area (as long as they belong to the RRCA).
He knows there are a couple of clubs in town - he's just too cheap to join... :angry:

Darrinll40 said:
He knows there are a couple of clubs in town - he's just too cheap to join... :D
Maybe if he asks really nice, I'll spot him the $20. :lmao: On second thought, with all the weight he's lost, I'm guessing he's saved tons of money on fast food alone!

Nice job, Rusty. It's like El Floppo said, reading your race report has me "jonesing" for another marathon, and Boston is still six months away! Oh well, I've got shorter races (5-mile and under) each of the next three weekends, so at least I can get some sort of racing fix.

All of us Midwesterners need to get together sometime for a race. It's too late for this year, but maybe next year we can team up for the Fall 50 in Door County, WI. Basically, it's a 50-mile team relay race. There are ten legs ranging from 3-7 miles in length. I know the race director, and he puts on a very good event. I wanted to do it this year, but I couldn't find anybody else who wanted to run. :hophead:
PF Chang's is only three months away. :thumbup: Hmm, the Fall 50 could be fun. By then, we should be settled into our new digs in Minneapolis, so the wife would probably be up for a visit to her family in Racine at that time (no big deal to throw in a detour northward). Put me down for "maybe" and we'll see how things are doing next summer. :yes:

Darrinll40 said:
He knows there are a couple of clubs in town - he's just too cheap to join... :thumbup:
Maybe if he asks really nice, I'll spot him the $20. :bag: On second thought, with all the weight he's lost, I'm guessing he's saved tons of money on fast food alone!
I was told by the Daytona Beach Track Club to wait until February to join, otherwise I will just have to pay for a full year now, and again in Feb.

OK, I learned a valuable lesson this evening. Most of you know that I lost a lot of weight in the last couple of years. At one point I went almost nine months without eating even as much as a Hershey's Kiss. So this afternoon before I ran I "accidentally" ate the last quarter bag, and by a quarter bag, I mean a third of a bag, of Peanut Butter M&M's. :goodposting:

I made it through the run with a bit of a struggle, but I made it. 5 miles in 50:58, 9:48 pace.

That finished up my training week with just over 28 miles at a 9:42 pace. It did include one 5K race.

I hope everyone had as good a week as I have had.

Users who are viewing this thread