What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

Not sure if it'll help, but I listen to music through my phone on my runs.  I just run the strava app through my phone too.
Thanks - I've managed to get the Strava app on my watch - I'll just need to add those previous runs or just discard them.

As for running with my phone.  I've done it enough but I always hated it, especially without BT headphones.  Getting the iWatch was a huge improvement - I don't love the BT earbuds I have but they are decent and not having to wear the armband is great - even moreso for lifting.

Quick question:  Now that I'm back home, I want to start doing a little bit more regular running.

I can run a mile at my goal pace of 8:30. I've done close to 2 miles at my comfortable pace of 9:15.

What is the best way to get me to 5k at 8:30 pace? Should I bump up the 2 miles to the 3.2 mile distance at my 9:15 pace first and then increase speed? Or should I do the 8:30 pace and just work on increasing distance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question:  Now that I'm back home, I want to start doing a little bit more regular running.

I can run a mile at my goal pace of 8:30. I've done close to 2 miles at my comfortable pace of 9:15.

What is the best way to get me to 5k at 8:30 pace? Should I bump up the 2 miles to the 3.2 mile distance at my 9:15 pace first and then increase speed? Or should I do the 8:30 pace and just work on increasing distance?
I'd work on doing some slow runs of about 1-5 miles. Then I would mix in some interval workouts. So, do a 3 mile run and do like 4 sets of 400s (quarter miles) at or faster than your goal 5k pace. Follow each interval with a 2-3 minute slow jog. Not sure if this is solid advice, just trying to help.

The answer you don't want to hear - run more miles. 

The answer you don't want to hear - run more miles. 
Yep

Add 10% each week, run easy for a couple months to establish the base. 

gianmarco said:

I'd do both if I were you. I agree with the others, though, that distance/volume should be your primary focus.

HR guys...you know of race predictor based on heart rate training? Like "if your max is X and your pace is X at X heart rate you should be able to run X for a 5k-marathon". I remember seeing one a few years ago but can't find it on the google machine.

TIA

HR guys...you know of race predictor based on heart rate training? Like "if your max is X and your pace is X at X heart rate you should be able to run X for a 5k-marathon". I remember seeing one a few years ago but can't find it on the google machine.

TIA
Although they can be fun to play around with, I don't know how much I'd trust such a calculator.  There seems to be so much variation from person to person as we've seen evidence of here in this thread.  

Something else I've noticed is heart rate and perceived effort don't always have the same linear relationship for me.  This is hard to explain but the line shifts when I get in better shape.  I can race at higher heart rates the worse shape I'm in.  When I'm in my best of shape, I know I'm not going to hit those high heart rates even when I'm trying really, really hard.  

Although they can be fun to play around with, I don't know how much I'd trust such a calculator.  There seems to be so much variation from person to person as we've seen evidence of here in this thread.  

Something else I've noticed is heart rate and perceived effort don't always have the same linear relationship for me.  This is hard to explain but the line shifts when I get in better shape.  I can race at higher heart rates the worse shape I'm in.  When I'm in my best of shape, I know I'm not going to hit those high heart rates even when I'm trying really, really hard.  
Yeah, I hear ya. 

I guess it is kinda just for fun. I'm running a 5k saturday and I'm really not sure what's realistic. I know I'm in decent shape but I haven't done a workout or a race in almost 2 months. I'm feeling like I'm in PR shape but don't know if I should shoot for one if the temp is around 80ish. Probably just need to run by effort and let the chips fall where they may. 

Yeah, I hear ya. 

I guess it is kinda just for fun. I'm running a 5k saturday and I'm really not sure what's realistic. I know I'm in decent shape but I haven't done a workout or a race in almost 2 months. I'm feeling like I'm in PR shape but don't know if I should shoot for one if the temp is around 80ish. Probably just need to run by effort and let the chips fall where they may. 
You're fine.  Just enjoy and don't overthink it.  That's what we're here for.   :P

To finish or to win?

I guess you could with your way up to 4 or 5 miles then add speed but most of your running should be slow.
Mostly to finish.  I am trying to determine if it is better to get a 5K under my belt in 3 weeks as a baseline or if I should wait until Sept, Oct, or November to try my first official run.  

I am currently keeping score on the waistline and the glucose monitor, not the stop watch.   My only real goal is not to injure myself.

Mostly to finish.  I am trying to determine if it is better to get a 5K under my belt in 3 weeks as a baseline or if I should wait until Sept, Oct, or November to try my first official run.  

I am currently keeping score on the waistline and the glucose monitor, not the stop watch.   My only real goal is not to injure myself.
Based on what I've seen on Strava, you'll be fine.  A 5k at this point for you is no big deal if you don't overdo it.  I say go for it and see how it feels and do it as a baseline, but don't treat it as a make or break race.  

5k and 10k for me in three/four weeks for me and I haven't run lately due to a litany of reasons.  That's why I'm running in Cleveland and many days for the rest of the month when I get home.  Just trying to get into it before the FL running season starts and then it's serious business.

I'm definitely not planning on enjoying it. And too late on the second point... ;)  
Even when I'm hating a run physically, I'm always finding something I enjoy. Sometimes scenery or sometimes entertaining myself with some of the crazy memories I recall.  I've had some bad races, but always glad I did them afterwards with just a couple of exceptions (like when I blew out a ligament).

Yeah, I hear ya. 

Congrats on the PR you are going to run Saturday.  :thumbup:

So it looks like I'm not doing pinhotti this year.
Damn.  But I know you've got a lot going on.  Good luck in the other lottery.

Speaking of lotteries - I'm going to put in for the Angeles Crest 100M - over 20,000' of gain and 24,000' of loss, tops out at 9,250, all in the SoCal August heat.  They're kind of sadistic (beyond the course design!) and have the lottery open the day after the race ends, and for only 24 hours, so this Monday is the day.  There is preferential treatment for entering in the "Solo Division", meaning no crew and pacers, so I'm planning on that.  I've been thinking a lot about how I don't think I would have finished WS100 within the cutoffs without my crew and pacers, so while I'll be eternally grateful to them I'm a little disappointed in myself.  There were times I should have been running, could have been running, but didn't.  My pacers @tri-man 47 and Jim had me moving, but when I was by myself there were times that I just wasn't mentally tough enough.  I want to take away that safety net and run a 100M without crew and pacers, so AC100 makes sense.  Plus, it's a qualifier for WS100, HR100, and UTMB, which is a huge bonus.

I haven't been able to find the lottery odds, but I know it's much better than States or HR.  It takes place next week so I'll know pretty much right away if I'm in.

Even when I'm hating a run physically, I'm always finding something I enjoy. Sometimes scenery or sometimes entertaining myself with some of the crazy memories I recall.  I've had some bad races, but always glad I did them afterwards with just a couple of exceptions (like when I blew out a ligament).
Yeah, no...I enjoy 5k's when they're over. 

Do it, just don't force a pace faster than comfortably uncomfortable until the end of the race if you still have any gas in the tank.  I'd just have a goal to create a target time to demolish in your Fall 5K.

gianmarco said:

If you want to prevent injury, then you should slowly work up that long run.  If you can get that long run from 2 miles to 6 miles, then you can start to sprinkle in speed workout (start with once a week with 1/4 mile bursts, and then extend it to 1/2 mile).

Once you get some speed work in and 6 miles seems easy. 

Then you can race a 5K and you'll obliterate 9:15 or 8:30 for that matter. 

But you need to run a lot more miles to get to that point.

You planning on any races in the KC area? I'm thinking of the Plaza 10K in September as a tune-up race for my half. Or are you thinking 5K's for now until you build up?

If you decide to run one in KC let me know. I'd be happy to join up and run with you.

You planning on any races in the KC area? I'm thinking of the Plaza 10K in September as a tune-up race for my half. Or are you thinking 5K's for now until you build up?

If you decide to run one in KC let me know. I'd be happy to join up and run with you.
I'm not quite ready for a 10K.  Looking at some 5Ks in Lawrence for now.

There is a Defend Lawrence free 5K on Aug 21 that I think I'll use as a baseline.  

There is a series of 3 races - Cross Country Triple Crown - a 5K in Sep, another 5K in October, and then a 10K in November.  It seems like a good progression and if I drop the $70 I should be committed to another 3+ months of getting off my butt.

I'd be interested in running in KC in the spring if this fall goes well.  I really appreciate the offer.

Oh - and after thinking I had the Strava app working I get out to run and it says it needs my phone to finish setup.  So, I just use the Nike app and then my dang watch dies during my cool down.  :rant:

7 total miles - 1 mile walking with the wife as a warmup - 5.5 miles at a glacial 13:21 pace and then a half mile cooldown. 

@Nugget - LET'S GO!  
You are lucky it is indoor soccer night.  Tomorrow is a run/walk combo.

I have been walking with the family as they have shown interest - the slower paces are worth it to hang out with them more.  

You are lucky it is indoor soccer night.  Tomorrow is a run/walk combo.

I have been walking with the family as they have shown interest - the slower paces are worth it to hang out with them more.  
Yup.  I never pass up a walk with Mrs. O during the week.  Worth way more to me than a run on my own.

Oh - and after thinking I had the Strava app working I get out to run and it says it needs my phone to finish setup.  So, I just use the Nike app and then my dang watch dies during my cool down.  :rant:
Could be worse...my Bluetooth headphones died halfway through my 11-miler this afternoon. Ughhhh.

Good mental toughness run though. Not only was I without music, but it was warm and humid, and my legs were tired from the tempo intervals I did yesterday afternoon and the box jumps and deadlifts I did last night. Thought several times about cutting it short, but gutted it out and managed a respectable 8:19/148.

Much-needed rest day tomorrow after 44 miles the last 5 days. Heading to Madison for the day with a buddy to check out the CrossFit Games. Those guys are animals.

Still more baby steps. Pace relative to heart rate keeps dropping, so getting back on track.

On Sunday, ran 7.3 with a pace of 10:38, HR of 158. A week earlier - 7.2 miles at an 11:13 pace, HR of 160.

Today, ran 3.1 with a pace of 10:24, HR of 158.

So a couple of takeaways, especially for the new runners here:

1. Heart rate training works.

2. Layoffs do affect your body's ability to work. BUT, you can come back from a layoff. If you health is good, try and stay with it. If you have some health issues to work through, you CAN work your way back, and its not entirely from scratch.

Glad to see things are trending in a positive direction again.

Intermittent Fitbit issues this morning are just another reason why it's time to move to another GPS watch.  Interesting run along the lake this morning and did some sightseeing.  Took it real easy (which is sloth-like for most of you) and the knee felt good all around.  Liked the little elevation changes.  Rain is coming this afternoon so I'm heading to Tremont and later got club seats for an Indians game.  Digging Cleveland so far.   :thumbup:  

Intermittent Fitbit issues this morning are just another reason why it's time to move to another GPS watch.  Interesting run along the lake this morning and did some sightseeing.  Took it real easy (which is sloth-like for most of you) and the knee felt good all around.  Liked the little elevation changes.  Rain is coming this afternoon so I'm heading to Tremont and later got club seats for an Indians game.  Digging Cleveland so far.   :thumbup:  
You did about 90% of the 5K route I'm doing with our 7 year old downtown on Saturday.

What's the deal with HR? How do you train with it?

Secondly, I saw all this mention of Strava so I downloaded it. Do you guys share what you do on it? 

Secondly, I saw all this mention of Strava so I downloaded it. Do you guys share what you do on it? 
We have a group on Strava and we all pretty much post our runs on there. Honestly, if it's not on Strava, it never really happened (so I've been told). The HR question is tricky and probably best if someone else answered. Some people run based on HR (me) and others know their body enough to not train with it (Mac). 

Lots of good articles about HR training on the google BUT basically you need to find out what your max HR is and then you can base your training zones off it. Once you figure out your zones, you can use your HR data to keep you from working too hard on your easy day and make sure you're working hard enough on your tough workouts. For your particular situation, you'd really just need it to keep your runs easy enough to build your cardio and endurance. 

I have had piriformis issues for the past year or so.  I am managing it but it definitely is painful at times.  I think mine is tied to my tight hamstring.  That being said, mine gets better when I religiously stretch.  I've also gone to PT for it when it flares up bad and that seems to work. 

The stretch my PT has me do is this one....   http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/piriformis-stretch
My wife, a PT, has me do the same ones.

Who here is the other guy in Louisiana?  On Strava at least?  A street where you run is very very similar to my street and freaked me out a bit lol.

Side note: Anyone have experience with calf sleeves?  I was reading about them helping with shin splints.

Side note: Anyone have experience with calf sleeves?  I was reading about them helping with shin splints.
I was an early adopter to calf sleeves and rarely run or ride without them.  My son, freshman year of XC, struggled with shin splints and calf sleeves helped a ton.  Search around and try a few.  I like 2XU for triathlon, but the strength of my Zenzas are way better.

Who here is the other guy in Louisiana?  On Strava at least?  A street where you run is very very similar to my street and freaked me out a bit lol.

There is a brand on amazon i really like. Very cheap. Hold up well. Bracco i believe.

Also down in Orlando for a couple days before heading out to sea for a week. Should be able to savor the SI Saturday morning. 

Regarding calf sleeves, I have a couple pair that I wear mostly after runs or working when I'm sore. Wear them to run only in colder temps but I could live in compression. 

Low 50s and light rain this morning here in Wisconsin.  THIS is the weather I want for my marathon!  #heaven

Went and watched the CrossFit games yesterday.  While these guys (and gals) are amazing physical specimens and terrific athletes, man did they look awkward and uncomfortable on bikes!

Users who are viewing this thread